• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
What was being argued about recently:

Whether Ridley would be too big

What is now being discussed:

Whether Ray MK should be small.

I can see this turning into argument and not civilized discussion. Just stay cool....

Shin F.

Smash Master
The fact that you've probably not even played Custom Robo to be making this argument with me in the first place. That would be a start. I haven't really even seen a real suggestion made from you to contribute to the moveset. So let me ask you this....

...and you...

Does THIS strike you as a game about toys?
No, it certainly reminds me of Mega Man X, though. I'm not saying anything against the game or anything like that, it's just that it would be strange for me to see him so large when the only context I've seen him in is Smash. That's all.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
No, it certainly reminds me of Mega Man X, though. I'm not saying anything against the game or anything like that, it's just that it would be strange for me to see him so large when the only context I've seen him in is Smash. That's all.
I'm fine with your responses Shin. I'm understanding in the matter of his appearance in Brawl, which is why I suggested his size being roughly around the same as Luigi. I'm talking logically. Not canonically. Ray's size most certainly does make a difference because you can bet your ass that it would be hard to fight anything smaller than that with Ray's movepool.

Arteen

Smash Lord
The fact that you've probably not even played Custom Robo to be making this argument with me in the first place. That would be a start. I haven't really even seen a real suggestion made from you to contribute to the moveset. So let me ask you this....

...and you...

Does THIS strike you as a game about toys?
Judging a game by its cover sounds like something I shouldn't do. I don't know about the GameCube game, but Custom Robo Arena certainly feels like toy robots fighting. Sakurai apparently agreed, considering how small his assist trophy is.

As far as balance goes, that's just a matter tuning the character properly. He can be small and fast but easy to kill, he can have projectiles that have a cooldown before they can be fired again, and so forth.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Judging a game by its cover sounds like something I shouldn't do. I don't know about the GameCube game, but Custom Robo Arena certainly feels like toy robots fighting. Sakurai apparently agreed, considering how small his assist trophy is.

As far as balance goes, that's just a matter tuning the character properly. He can be small and fast but easy to kill, he can have projectiles that have a cooldown before they can be fired again, and so forth.
Arguing the aspects of a character to someone who has played the game verses a person who has not. Playing as Ray from a perspective of someone who has ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME it is going to feel weird as hell playing a DOWNSCALED version of a character that should feel around Luigi to Marth's height. The character should be made in the respect of the game as you said. And fans playing as a character that does NOT feel like the one they're accustomed to playing from the initial game in question, then it would be a disrespectful gesture towards the fans of that character.

Your argument: "Based on what was in Smash Bros."

My argument: "Based on logic and experience with the series."

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I think the smaller Ray in Smash is cause he's meant to feel like a toy to the characters. Like you are a person who has summoned Ray as a toy rather than playing as Ray as a character.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
RAY'S HEIGHT CHART

The first row is my suggested height that averages between Samus and Mario, where the 2nd is nearly eye-level to Mario. Ray at this toy size, as you all are suggesting, looks incredibly weird and out of place. Any smaller and I wouldn't even bother playing as or against this character. Ray literally has no more detail than Samus herself, and looks completely fine at my purposed height.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Yeah, there's really nothing holding MM back legally, let's be honest. Nintendo didn't even hit the fan translation of Mother 3 with a C&D, so there's no way MM being included in the game when Claus is already here would make them stop Project M.

I feel like the only thing that really matters at the end of the day is how fun the character will be to play + how feasible it is for Project M to create that character.
MM?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Haha, yeah, that's one of the reasons I like baby bowser - you could technically chalk him up as a Yoshi villain, so then it's like Yoshi has a second rep, too. (Kamek would also be awesome, tho)
I think I'd rather have Birdo, I know, not technically a Yoshi character, but, she'd be so cute!

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
RAY'S HEIGHT CHART

The first row is my suggested height that averages between Samus and Mario, where the 2nd is nearly eye-level to Mario. Ray at this toy size, as you all are suggesting, looks incredibly weird and out of place. Any smaller and I wouldn't even bother playing as or against this character. Ray literally has no more detail than Samus herself, and looks completely fine at my purposed height.
Looking at this size comparison, I definitely would pick the top one. The smaller one really looks fragile and unnatural.

Shin F.

Smash Master
RAY'S HEIGHT CHART

Hmm, so he does. Well, I'm fine with him at that size, then. I had assumed you wanted his head level with Samus', as opposed to his 'wing' thing.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hmm, so he does. Well, I'm fine with him at that size, then. I had assumed you wanted his head level with Samus', as opposed to his 'wing' thing.
No not at all. I wanted him roughly between Samus and Mario to begin with. This chart was more-so to prove what I was saying before though. His height would be a major scare if he were toy sized, and only gets worse if he gets Smaller. I even shrank him to near Mario size, and not the purposed Olimar / Kirby size. If he were that height, I would just drop my controller and walk away. As I said...it would be like fighting Meta Knight who is equipped with a gun. Think Vanilla Meta Knight + Melee Fox. It gives me nightmares.

Shin F.

Smash Master
No not at all. I wanted him roughly between Samus and Mario to begin with. This chart was more-so to prove what I was saying before though. His height would be a major scare if he were toy sized, and only gets worse if he gets Smaller. I even shrank him to near Mario size, and not the purposed Olimar / Kirby size. If he were that height, I would just drop my controller and walk away. As I said...it would be like fighting Meta Knight who is equipped with a gun. Think Vanilla Meta Knight + Melee Fox. It gives me nightmares.
At least it would be a challenge :awesome:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
They're thinking "Oh man, those kids are gonna be maaaaad when we announce Pichu on Christmas Day!"

8)
PIIIIIICCCCHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUU!!!!! I want Pichu! Really, I want Pichu.
But he better be unique!

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I'm noting a trend where every single time someone says "the only reason people want Pichu is nostalgia", and then I/trojanpooh/any of the other Pichu fans point out a list o' reasons that have nothing to do with nostalgia and more to do with the structure of fighting games and the unique gameplay options and opportunities he presents, that all gets ignored.

SWEET! : D

Thank you! This is why I didn't downvote anybody - there are characters I don't like, but there's not a single announcement the PMBR could make where I'd be disgusted, or even a little bit mad.

They could announce Obama as a playable character, and I'd laugh my *** off and then start wondering what his moves would be. And they're not going to announce anything as far-fetched as Obama. : P
If I saw President Obama playable, I'd say, "Thanks Obama!"
I respect President Obama as a person and I respect the office of the President. However I do not agree with our current president's politics. (Disclaimer for SS and Homeland Security agents reading this.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
If I saw President Obama playable, I'd say, "Thanks Obama!"
I respect President Obama as a person and I respect the office of the President. However I do not agree with our current president's politics. (Disclaimer for SS and Homeland Security agents reading this.
One of his taunts should just be "You're welcome!"

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I just realized something, since we're talking about articles - where did Squirtle's bubbles come from? O_o

I think Ivysaur really shows how far the PMBR can push themselves when it comes to special attacks. Seed bomb uses the same basic idea of bullet seed (shoot up), but changes it significantly by keeping the attack alive until it hits the ground, giving it physics so that it starts to fall after a bit, giving it the ability to stun people if it hits them on the ground, etc etc.

And Solarbeam - I think they said that was just a huge, extended hitbox from Ivysaur's face. (oh, maybe that's how they did bubbles, haha).

So if Isaac has any moves that would make sense in that capacity, the PMBR might be able to make it work. Some people have mentioned he has Earth magic - so a possible Up-B for him might involve him summoning a pillar of Earth to push himself up. If it extends out from his model and isn't ever separate from him, then it might not need to be an article at all - it could function like solarbeam, where it exists for a brief moment while Isaac is rising, and hurts anybody it touches. Then it goes away as Isaac is launched upwards.

Again, I don't know the character, so that might be a horrible Up-B, but I think it's an example of how the PMBR can work around the article limits.
I dub moves that make you trip as having: tripboxes.

Chaos Wolf

Smash Cadet
RAY'S HEIGHT CHART

Ok, so I'm sold on a larger than Kirby/Olimar Ray, Though, the Mario height one isn't too bad in my opinion. I may be horribly misguided here, but I read Ray in concept and design as a light character, and that fragility that Empyrean mentioned kinda makes it seem reasonable if Ray's gonna be, well, fragile.
That being said though, I do see the second one as being a tad too small. TBH I'd be interested in seeing a halfway point between Your suggested size and the second one. Also, one to Squirtle's scale would probably put the nail in the coffin of the Tiny Tiny Toy Ray idea.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Dokapon Kingdom
This person has seen the truth.

If you've played Mario party and thought that was a game that would make you rage at your friends you haven't seen NOTHING till you played this game.

Ahem....
>Be Me
>New To Dokapon Kingdom
>Think it looks dumb but plays with friend anyway because he was having fun
>I'm getting screwed left and right, not having fun at all because I don't know how to play
>Friends also are pretty new but still know a lot more
>I'm in last place, suffering hard.
>"You can hear the Whispers of Dark Revenge" message pops up for me
>Whatthe****.jpg
>Go on normal space
>Some Asshole NPC named Weber appears when I land on a normal space
>Notthis****again.png
>Tells me that if I use this I can get power beyond my wildest dreams
>No one ever seen this yet so we are all confused
>Use it
>Get teleported to the dark space
>Weber appears again.
>Says I have to give up ALL my towns, items, and money to get the power
>YOLO
>Get transformed into awesome looking demon
>Stats boosted by x30
>Everyone losing their ****
>Roll spinner, Automatically get 5 spinners
>HOLY****
>Land on my friends space
>Yougonnagetraped.gif.
>Skill called "Delete"
>Use it.
>Does no damage but destroys one piece of equipment or all items in opponents possession.
>Destroy friends rare item he got from a Red loot space.
>"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"
>Friend gets up and proceeds to stomp me
>MFW

To add salt to the wound, when you kill someone in this game you get their level too.

I was at level 8, he was at level 17.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
If you've played Mario party and thought that was a game that would make you rage at your friends you haven't seen NOTHING till you played this game.

Ahem....
>Be Me
>New To Dokapon Kingdom
>Think it looks dumb but plays with friend anyway because he was having fun
>I'm getting screwed left and right, not having fun at all because I don't know how to play
>Friends also are pretty new but still know a lot more
>I'm in last place, suffering hard.
>"You can hear the Whispers of Dark Revenge" message pops up for me
>Whatthe****.jpg
>Go on normal space
>Some ******* NPC named Weber appears when I land on a normal space
>Notthis****again.png
>Tells me that if I use this I can get power beyond my wildest dreams
>No one ever seen this yet so we are all confused
>Use it
>Get teleported to the dark space
>Weber appears again.
>Says I have to give up ALL my towns, items, and money to get the power
>YOLO
>Get transformed into awesome looking demon
>Stats boosted by x30
>Everyone losing their ****
>Roll spinner, Automatically get 5 spinners
>HOLY****
>Land on my friends space
>Yougonnagetraped.gif.
>Skill called "Delete"
>Use it.
>Does no damage but destroys one piece of equipment or all items in opponents possession.
>Destroy friends rare item he got from a Red loot space.
>"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"
>Friend gets up and proceeds to stomp me
>MFW

To add salt to the wound, when you kill someone in this game you get their level too.
I was at level 8, he was at level 17.
I have every mario party game and I never heard of dokapon kingdom. I'm definitely checking it out

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I have every mario party game and I never heard of dokapon kingdom. I'm definitely checking it out.
It's essentially Mario party fused with an RPG.

Remember these words when playing that game though.

It's not a matter of if you will die, it's a matter of when you will die.

Lamar Davis

Smash Cadet
Whas happenin' on homes?
I bouta finna post mah votes if das aight wit' yall.

1. Black Shadow/Ganondorf
This ****s crazy g, homie. If P:M don't try dis, Ima be mad.

2. Young Link
I just miss dat lil homie, das all.

3. Krystal
She nice, grown, and sexy

4. Dark Samus
Too pimp to deny

-1:

1. Fire Emblem peepz
FE is wack as hell.

2. Pichu
Dis ****** gay

3. Ridley
Homie ain't too big, he just too janky.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Say, Solbliminal, where did you get the images of Mario, Samus and the others that you used for the height charts? Did you make those or find them?
I don't know the original source of the chart, but if I were to guess..it would be in the Smash 4 character discussion threads since someone after my post of the Ridley chart did say they saw it there. But this is where I found it: http://vaztor.blogspot.com/2011/10/super-smash-bros-wii-u-meet-ridley.html. I sincerely doubt he was the creator of said chart, but this was my source. I simply used the characters from the Rildey chart to save time since Samus, Mario, and Squirtle were perfect candidates for comparison.

Last edited:

PaRappa the Rapper

Smash Cadet
Whas happenin' on homes?
I bouta finna post mah votes if das aight wit' yall.

1. Black Shadow/Ganondorf
This ****s crazy g, homie. If P:M don't try dis, Ima be mad.

-1:

1. Fire Emblem peepz
FE is wack as hell.

2. Pichu
Dis *****s gay
I knew I could count on you, homeboy :denzel:

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
He down voted Pichu and Ridley, clearing he's trying to stir stuff up.

Everyone else has been charmed by your endearing ebonics but I'm onto you man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom