• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I have many plans, but you are a person in particular I wouldn't mind adding to skype. If you can figure it out send it my way. I can share a bunch of my ideas with you before posting them here.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I have many plans, but you are a person in particular I wouldn't mind adding to skype. If you can figure it out send it my way. I can share a bunch of my ideas with you before posting them here.
or just.... I dunno..... PM your ideas to him.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Sure thing! If I can figure it out, I'll let you know. :D That'd be fun.

As far as Pichu goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh6ZHY1wqSA

This has to be one of Pichu's taunts. : D It should be like Diddy's juggling, where he holds it forever if you want. ( I think it does that?)

The idea of Pichu KOing Fox or Sheik and then spamming this... too good.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm going to keep dreaming about Shadow or Raiden ever becoming playable characters, then realize it will never happen because 3rd party arguments and boundless hate towards them.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
1. Isaac
2. Dark Samus (Would make a fine Alt. though. Just sayin.')
3. Knuckles
4. Shadow
5. Bowser Jr.

BEES

Smash Lord
Pichu would be a waste of space. We have enough pokemon, and even if we were adding another, there are far better ones that come to mind than Pichu.

I'm thinking about my votes for now. I feel like we really need to be sure that we're sure before the backroom commits precious time and energy into characters to fill the other slots. Like, once a slot is gone, it's gone. I'm definitely more in favor of unique characters like Ridley and Lyn getting in than doppelgangers/clones of existing characters.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So, are people done whining about how Pichu is going to be in the game? Can we get back to "worthwhile" discussion now, or should I let y'all be salty for a bit longer?

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Pichu would be a waste of space. We have enough pokemon, and even if we were adding another, there are far better ones that come to mind than Pichu.

I'm thinking about my votes for now. I feel like we really need to be sure that we're sure before the backroom commits precious time and energy into characters to fill the other slots. Like, once a slot is gone, it's gone. I'm definitely more in favor of unique characters like Ridley and Lyn getting in than doppelgangers/clones of existing characters.
I'm not necessarily averse to that kind of thinking, but do keep in mind that it's not even a given fact that all slots will be filled. Unique characters take far more time and effort, and adding completely novel playstyles into the game can cause balance and matchups to become very difficult to manage, both for the players and for the designers. Clone characters still have a niche in that they're easier on the PMBR, and they bring a new playstyle without requiring the rest of the cast to make as large of an adaptation.
Personally, I'd like to see some challenging, unique characters, but probably only one or two for reasons of practicality.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So, are people done whining about how Pichu is going to be in the game? Can we get back to "worthwhile" discussion now, or should I let y'all be salty for a bit longer?

Once salty, now throwing salt. You could learn a thing or two about karma. As I said before, I don't care in the slightest if Pichu makes it as long as someone more meaningful will be added after it. While Issac, Ridley, Lyn, Sukapon, and K.Rool are all cool options, none I care for myself personally. I will look forward to trying them, but I want to see a character I could look forward to myself.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I'm probably in the minority, but I say bring in the clones. To me they're just far more appealing than unique characters since they can be churned out much faster but bring almost just as much new to the table as a unique character. I get that people get excited and want to see these ambitious characters, but that's what Smash 4 is for. Project M is the spiritual successor to Melee and anything added after this point is bonus content. Wouldn't it be in the spirit of things to add a bunch of clones now to flesh out the roster?

Once salty, now throwing salt. You could learn a thing or two about karma. As I said before, I don't care in the slightest if Pichu makes it as long as someone more meaningful will be added after it. While Issac, Ridley, Lyn, Sukapon, and K.Rool are all cool options, none I care for myself personally. I will look forward to trying them, but I want to see a character I could look forward to myself.
I was never salty about the haters and I don't believe in karma. Plus a lot of these people deserve it. Just let the Pichu fans be happy for their probably victory and let it go. You still have 4 slots for stuff you want, and odds are well over half of these people were never going to main all 5 characters anyway.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
From what I understand the PMBR don't seem set on necessarily filling out every spot. That said, who's currently the top requested person? *PleasebeRidley* While I don't think they'd take all of the top 5 (4 if Pichu is in?) from here, it wouldn't be a stretch for them to include one popular character. And Ridley would make the hype levels explode. Just saiyan.

Smash Apprentice
As someone who is neutral on Pichu, you're making it really hard to like the idea.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
As someone who is neutral on Pichu, you're making it really hard to like the idea.
Good thing I'm not Pichu's PR guy, then. I'd imagine he'd be well cross with me if he knew my behavior was reflecting poorly on his character.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Good thing I'm not Pichu's PR guy, then. I'd imagine he'd be well cross with me if he knew my behavior was reflecting poorly on his character.
It's hard to take you seriously when you act like such a jackass. You can support whomever you like without trying to agitate everyone around you.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He's a lot nicer than some of the Pichu haters here.

Seriously, the whole "representation" fallacy argument is getting really bad. If you use that argument, you're an idiot, no if's, and's, or but's about it.

It's all about gameplay.

I think Pichu could be an amazing glass cannon playable character. Some don't, and that's okay.

But hey, the important thing is that we all remember that gameplay is king.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I was never salty about the haters and I don't believe in karma. Plus a lot of these people deserve it. Just let the Pichu fans be happy for their probably victory and let it go. You still have 4 slots for stuff you want, and odds are well over half of these people were never going to main all 5 characters anyway.

I'm not really dwelling on it. What bothers me is this misunderstanding of representation. I understand the point of this being a mod, and representation not making a bit of difference. But if that is the case, why is the 3rd party argument even a thing? It is literally the same thing as representation. "This is a Nintendo All-Star Brawler", meaning representation of NINTENDO characters. It is honestly the most hypocritical statement that has been tossed around this thread. If we get Pichu, fine and dandy. But don't say representation doesn't matter at that point if you all are going to argue against 3rd party characters. If 8 Pokemon is fine with everyone, then 1 or 2 more 3rd party characters should be too.

And note, this isn't aimed directly at you.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
It's hard to take you seriously when you act like such a *******. You can support whomever you like without trying to agitate everyone around you.
Good, because I'm not meant to be taken seriously right now. My main is all but confirmed so I'm happy; people were kinda being ***** about it so I decided to have a bit of fun.

I'm not really dwelling on it. What bothers me is this misunderstanding of representation. I understand the point of this being a mod, and representation not making a bit of difference. But if that is the case, why is the 3rd party argument even a thing? It is literally the same thing as representation. "This is a Nintendo All-Star Brawler", meaning representation of NINTENDO characters. It is honestly the most hypocritical statement that has been tossed around this thread. If we get Pichu, fine and dandy. But don't say representation doesn't matter at that point if you all are going to argue against 3rd party characters. If 8 Pokemon is fine with everyone, then 1 or 2 more 3rd party characters should be too.

And note, this isn't aimed directly at you.
I agree full hardheartedly (Pichu fan here, durr), 3rd parties do deserve a fair shot. The one big thing that concerns me is the more 3rd party stuff you include the more people are able to C&D Project M. Also there's the fact that I find all 3rd party candidates dreadfully unexcited based on their own (lack of) merits, but that's my own personal issues. I'm not going to go around hypocritically spouting trash about representation, because I don't believe in it as far as Project M is concerned.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Ugh, Pichu. There we go, whining done.

Now can we get back to discussing who (else) should be in? Pichu's basically confirmed, for better or for worse, which means all discussion about him in this thread can (and should) cease entirely.

Skull Kid for P:M! Oooh, here's something to think about--voices for him. He doesn't really have many voice clips aside from laughing and screaming. Unless we wanted to use the ones from Twilight Princess? I doubt those would match well though.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think Toad would be really fun to see in P:M, and he can happen without C&D issues since he's not going to be in Smash 4. It also nods at that unlockable Toad in Melee rumor.

I have no idea what's in the realm of possibility for moves, so I'll leave it there.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So you think he should be in not because he has several traits that would make him unique and fun to play as in comparison to the other cast but because of a rumor?
No. I know what moves I'd like to give him. But I don't know what is feasible given the limitations of the clone engine.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
as soon as I realized that people might not like :pt:as much as I do, and he probably won't get in due to whatever reason,

I'm totally fine with pichu.

I'm going to revoke that downvote please.

Ragiroth

Smash Cadet
If Pichu HAS to come back in Project M, I'd rather they at least make him more unique. There's plenty of other Pokemon moves, let a lone electric type moves you could give him.

splat

Smash Lord
One Pichu image and there's so much salt we may as well skip the winter.

-

On a more serious note: what would you prefer? Nintendo All-Stars that may appear in Smash 4 (Dixie, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, etc.), or the second bananas that have little chance to appear in those games (Masked Man, Lyn, Tom Nook, Sami/Andy, etc.)?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Aside from implying that Dixie is anything better than a 3rd banana, I'd say that I don't really care. What I want is interesting characters that add to the meta game. I could care less how iconic they are or how much I care about them in their source material. Just my two cents.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
One Pichu image and there's so much salt we may as well skip the winter.

-

On a more serious note: what would you prefer? Nintendo All-Stars that may appear in Smash 4 (Dixie, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, etc.), or the second bananas that have little chance to appear in those games (Masked Man, Lyn, Tom Nook, Sami/Andy, etc.)?
I think it's best to wait until the likeliest characters are confirmed or deconfirmed, and work on the less likely ones in the meantime.

(Or ones who have already been deconfirmed, like Skull Kid!)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm all for Skull Kid.....Even though Kafei is my favorite Zelda character who -cough- has a sticker in the game -cough-

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Why not both? IMO Ridley would produce the most hype, then following that other characters with less of a chance for Smash 4 would set PM apart. So people like Masked Man, Sukapon, etc.

But then there's also the ease or difficulty of implementation, which factors in also.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So we can only use characters from Brawl because of copyright issues,right? Well there's this little thing called the parody clause which is just begging to be used in the name of Captain Falcon Clone 2.0.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm probably the minority that just flat out hates Ridley. I don't find the character nostalgic or appealing. In fact, if I didn't have any respect for peoples taste, I would've downvoted him a long time ago.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile but I just remember that some user with a mew wearing a megaman helmet (Don't know if its still his picture) called me "stupid" for what I said..........I came back here to show that I wasn't talking bull**** with this video

http://youtu.be/pvRgfHUo21M

I was just explaining my approach with my votes and this proves without doubt

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
You sure that was me? You linked to a video of Waluigi v Mewtwo and I've never once been opposed to Waluigi. I think he's hilarious.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Pichu confirmed. Might as well ride the salt train the rest of the way. Waluigi, Shadow, Krystal, and Sandbag confirmed.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Sure thing! If I can figure it out, I'll let you know. :D That'd be fun.

As far as Pichu goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh6ZHY1wqSA

This has to be one of Pichu's taunts. : D It should be like Diddy's juggling, where he holds it forever if you want. ( I think it does that?)

The idea of Pichu KOing Fox or Sheik and then spamming this... too good.
Ok that is the best thing I've read about Pichu in a while.

Yes, Yes, YES, YES, YES.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Daily reminder that Pichu's only chances of making it in were much higher than any other Pokemon related character due to the fact of him being a melee veteran.

Daily reminder that Pichu can be far more differentiated from Pikachu just by the PMBR putting in effort and work. (See Toon Link, Ganondorf, Roy)

Daily reminder that the character isn't out yet. Plenty of people have found new and improved characters in project M that they love to play albeit not liking any of their other smash iterations. This logic applies to Pichu as well. If the PMBR plans to balance him accordingly, look at him less as a Joke character and look at him more like Luigi to Mario.

Give him/her a chance.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Ok that is the best thing I've read about Pichu in a while.

Yes, Yes, YES, YES, YES.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Daily reminder that Pichu's only chances of making it in were much higher than any other Pokemon related character due to the fact of him being a melee veteran.

Daily reminder that Pichu can be far more differentiated from Pikachu just by the PMBR putting in effort and work. (See Toon Link, Ganondorf, Roy)

Daily reminder that the character isn't out yet. Plenty of people have found new and improved characters in project M that they love to play albeit not liking any of their other smash iterations. This logic applies to Pichu as well. If the PMBR plans to balance him accordingly, look at him less as a Joke character and look at him more like Luigi to Mario.

Give him/her a chance.
Daily reminder that there is a character icon of Pichu in the 3.0 common5 file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom