• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Wasn't there a statement from a Microsoft spokesman about there not being enough iconic characters for their own Smash game? Maybe they went to Sakurai and asked if they could put Banjo and Kazooie in Smash...
Wow, that sounds like a long shot. Would be cool though.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Shulk on Monday, without the retweet, would have made me happy. I would have been hyped.

Now that the Monolith Soft writer retweeted it, and if Shulk is revealed, the three day wait will have been worthless (to me at least). It takes away from the hype, and renders the outcome obvious.

Sure, I'll like that Shulk is in. I support him. However, the impact from the potential surprise will have been gone. We debate all the time about the Gematsu characters, yet there is no real way to know when the characters are going to be revealed -- wherein should lie the surprise factor (not who, but when).

In short, I will be happy for Shulk, but very disappointed with the way it was handled.

Seeing as how Little Mac received a similar treatment from the company that made Punch-Out!! Wii (the whole retweet prior to the direct thing, but nobody really pointed it out at the time), I fear the same will happen to Shulk. I wanted to be hyped, but now it's obvious.
Back in my day, we discovered characters through bumping along in the game, not Twitter.

I just hope it's someone unexpected, but also really really cool. Characters like WFT are great, and I'm fine with the characters listed in the Gematsu leak, but I want someone out of left field who makes this place explode with jubilation.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Shulk on Monday, without the retweet, would have made me happy. I would have been hyped.

Now that the Monolith Soft writer retweeted it, and if Shulk is revealed, the three day wait will have been worthless (to me at least). It takes away from the hype, and renders the outcome obvious.

Sure, I'll like that Shulk is in. I support him. However, the impact from the potential surprise will have been gone. We debate all the time about the Gematsu characters, yet there is no real way to know when the characters are going to be revealed -- wherein should lie the surprise factor (not who, but when).

In short, I will be happy for Shulk, but very disappointed with the way it was handled.

Seeing as how Little Mac received a similar treatment from the company that made Punch-Out!! Wii (the whole retweet prior to the direct thing, but nobody really pointed it out at the time), I fear the same will happen to Shulk. I wanted to be hyped, but now it's obvious.
Why ?! isn't the content of the present what matters in the end ? let me give you an analogy, if you had your birthday, and you asked your parents for let's say the new Smash Bros., and they went out and brought you a gift, your younger Brother saw your mother wrap the gift, and he told you he saw her wrapping a game, immediately it comes to your mind that your mother brought you the new Smash Bros., now you are waiting patiently for your birthday which is 3 days later, and you are quite hyped because you want to play Smash Bros., than comes your birthday you blow on your candles and you are thinking of how you are going to play your Smash game, and what character you plan to use, then the time to open your presents comes, the first thing you grab is your parents gift you find the shape of the gift matches the shape of a game box, than you unwrap it with extreme care, because for now you know the content of the gift, but once you unwrap and to your surprise you find the latest shooter of the market and you are someone who despises shooters and was disappointed, still you are a good boy and didn't say anything but thanks to your parents,( and then you continued opening the other gifts and in the end one of your aunts brought you Smash and you lived happily ever after :troll: )

You are surprised but you are left with something that you don't give a **** about!

it's better to be assured by the content of a present. than wait and hype yourself for a disappointment.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Why ?! isn't the content of the present what matters in the end ? let me give you an analogy, if you had your birthday, and you asked your parents for let's say the new Smash Bros., and they went out and brought you a gift, your younger Brother saw your mother wrap the gift, and he told you he saw her wrapping a game, immediately it comes to your mind that your mother brought you the new Smash Bros., now you are waiting patiently for your birthday which is 3 days later, and you are quite hyped because you want to play Smash Bros., than comes your birthday you blow on your candles and you are thinking of how you are going to play your Smash game, and what character you plan to use, then the time to open your presents comes, the first thing you grab is your parents gift you find the shape of the gift matches the shape of a game box, than you unwrap it with extreme care, because for now you know the content of the gift, but once you unwrap and to your surprise you find the latest shooter of the market and you are someone who despises shooters and was disappointed, still you are a good boy and didn't say anything but thanks to your parents,( and then you continued opening the other gifts and in the end one of your aunts brought you Smash and you lived happily ever after :troll: )

You are surprised but you are left with something that you don't give a **** about!

it's better to be assured by the content of a present. than wait and hype yourself for a disappointment.
You are right. The content is what matters. I know this. It's just that the trailer, if this whole string of events turns out to be true, will leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I will know that every time I see the trailer, deep down, that it wasn't a surprise.

I insinuated that I'll still enjoy Shulk (in the analogical sense, the present), but the trailer (as well as events leading towards the trailer) would not have been a surprise. That is, of course, to those who are aware of the whole retweeting situation. There are people who aren't aware, and surely to them, the reveal will be a surprise. I will be happy for them too.

I said in a later post that we constantly debate the Gematsu characters, but what we really cannot know is when they are revealed -- wherein should lie the element of surprise. Hypothetically, we could know who is getting in and still be surprised by their reveals, simply because there would be no way to know when Sakurai decides to reveal them.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
You are right. The content is what matters. I know this. It's just that the trailer, if this whole string of events turns out to be true, will leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I will know that every time I see the trailer, deep down, that it wasn't a surprise.

I insinuated that I'll still enjoy Shulk (in the analogical sense, the present), but the trailer (as well as events leading towards the trailer) would not have been a surprise. That is, of course, to those who are aware of the whole retweeting situation. There are people who aren't, and surely to them, the reveal will be a surprise. I will be happy for them too.

I said in a later post that we constantly debate the Gematsu characters, but what we really cannot know is when they are revealed -- wherein should lie the element of surprise. Hypothetically, we could know who is getting in and still be surprised by their reveals, simply because there would be no way to know when Sakurai decides to reveal them.
Well, I guess some people do give the surprise too much attention, anyway in my case I don't really care about the surprise, in fact I care more to know the content before the surprise happen.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877

But what if I got Mario Kart 8 instead and had a blast? Maybe my parents knew that my aunt had already bought Smash for me, so they decided to purchase another game they thought I would like.

Also, if my parents ever tried to get me a shooter, I would think they've lost their minds and call them out on it. They should really know me well enough to know I despise shooters. (Splatoon may change that, though.)

FirstaLasto

Smash Cadet
I really hope it isnt one of the gematsu characters. Not so much that I don't like them, but that they don't fit all that well.
Chrom would be awesome if they used his Sniper class, but that seems unlikely, and he would most likely be a dull character.
Chorus Men are weird due to the 3 character thing, especially when the ICs were apparently troublesome for the 3ds hardware. Additionally, there are far better Rhythm Heaven reps, such as Karate Joe (who was the first character seen in the first game, has appeared in every game, and fits into a fighting game in general) or Marshal (who is a mascot of sorts and would sensibly have moves from multiple rhythm heaven games).
Shulk... well, aside from being another sword character, he never felt like much of a Nintendo character to me; mind you, this one is all personal opinion. He has a very square-enix feel to him, and even though Nintendo technically owns him, the company that made him was bought by them, rather than starting with them. And thats not to say third party chars are bad, but the 3 in smash 4 so far all feel very fitting, very nintendo-esque. Shulk feels more like Snake in terms of fitting in.

Anyways, theres my view on the matter. Something compelled me to share it, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Well, I guess some people do give the surprise too much attention, anyway in my case I don't really care about the surprise, in fact I care more to know the content before the surprise happen.
Attention, like many other things that could be measured in amount, is all based on perspective; for instance what people deem enjoyable, over other things (in which case they usually give more attention to it). For me, I enjoy a little surprise here and there. It can give something (when needed, but that's based on perspective too) more "pop" or "spice".

From this angle, I can understand that others wouldn't need the surprise, because in the end they'll be able to enjoy the content at hand. All I have to say is more power to you. :)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am a person who, in life, loves surprises. And given that I am indeed very, very difficult to surprise, given a high level of curiosity, creativity, and intelligence, I tend to see many avenues and figure things out (problem solving is in fact one of my biggest skills which manifests in multiple ways), but it keeps me from truly being surprised.
Loving surprises is why I live in new york, is why I try daily not to have any sort of expectation, and is why I avidly try to avoid even the slightest of spoilers.

I understand all people are not this sensitive, but trust me, there are some who are this extreme, and even more. To me, it makes it SO MUCH more rewarding.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Apparently a rumor's going around that Diddy Kong Racing 2 is in the works.
...Bumper for Smash?
"Muh names Bumpah!"

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean.... I mean... Dillon, Pushmo, Rusty, and Diddy in a game. I'm liking this as a thing in general

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't know why I forgot to reply to those but...

Paper Mario folds the competition!
:troll:
My favourite is just "Paper Mario folds in!". Seems to be the best one so far.

I've only seen this mentioned here once, but the 14th is the anniversary of the original Mario bros game, that may be something, or not. But in all honesty I feel although gematsu is fairly credible and I have no doubts that Shulk and Chrom were in anyway i think the chorus men were his guess for this games oddball (R.O.B. in brawl) (G+W, Ice Climbers, and Dr. Mario in Melee) Everything else other than WFT and maybe villager were somewhat obvious, not really sure what to think of gematsu but no matter what I think we'll get another two or three more newcomers other than the gematsu three. Hoping for K. Rool, Isaac, and Ridley but you never know with Sakurai.
I

don't

when

you

do

this

to

me.

Really the posts on their social media isn't smash but this?

I don't like when people points out false hope that I will get hyped anyway and even though I shoulnd't be, I'll love it anyway.

For those who don't know, there's an easter egg in first 2 games of the Paper Mario series (don't know for the 3th) where you become 8 bit mario. So, it would be kinda related?

Why am I doing this to myself? This is me torturing myself now.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Wasn't there a statement from a Microsoft spokesman about there not being enough iconic characters for their own Smash game? Maybe they went to Sakurai and asked if they could put Banjo and Kazooie in Smash...
Even though I would LOVE for that to happen, it's not, noway MS would be willing to let Nintendo use there character unless if it was exclusive to 3DS since they don't have a handheld.

Even though, if we did get a trailer and "Banjo Kazooie are back!" in Smash, it would be the most hypest thing ever.

Too bad Banjo Kazooie wasn't in Melee.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, no one expects Banjo Kazooie, or even has hope, because... well ya know.

It would absolutely shock everyone.
What would you call that?
Genius.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I think there's going to be at least one other announcement aside from Shulk, all this hype/live stream video can't all be for him...right? I dunno how popular he is with the fans

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I almost half-hope that Sakurai, or at least members of his team are watching us react and debate this debacle. I almost want them to see how disappointed we would be if Shulk was spoiled during the waiting period (which at this point seems arbitrary, due to the retweet).

Happy for Shulk, but disappointed in certain actions behind the reveal.

You know, I can't really describe it, but I can't stand ambivalence. It's incredibly uncomfortable. I can deal with pure disappointment, or pure excitement. However when I feel conflicting emotions, it just tears at me on the inside. Kinda like trench warfare.
Hah, I don't even want to hear about how a newcomer trailer is handled after what happened with Pac-Man. My most wanted newcomer and biggest icon in video game history revealed through a tweet by Nintendo rather than at the end of the invitational an hour earlier. Shameful.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Hah, I don't even want to hear about how a newcomer trailer is handled after what happened with Pac-Man. My most wanted newcomer and biggest icon in video game history revealed through a tweet by Nintendo rather than at the end of the invitational an hour earlier. Shameful.
It's how stuff gets revealed in the 21st Century, through Twitter

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
It's how stuff gets revealed in the 21st Century, through Twitter
But every other character was revealed first on the website or through a direct. And they had plenty of opportunity to do that with Pac-Man throughout the day. But instead they did it behind closed doors and through twitter. Just sucked. Felt really disrespectful, like they were ashamed of him and wanted to reveal him quietly.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
People, remember when that Palutena leak/pic thing emerged, and suddenly, Sakurai showed pics related to Uprising right after, then Palutena's statue and then the Psuedo Palutena trolling? That, and more, makes me sure Sakurai knows very well what people are talking about. We all Think it'll be Shulk on Monday. What if Sakurai knows we do, thus made the creator tweet that, just to show a different character for the sole purpose of actually surprising us (Ridley!)?

That, and/or that the Shulk creator is simply a fan and may or mey not know what will be revealed. It's most likely Shulk, but it may very well be someone else. ^^ Have hope, Shulk haters.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
But every other character was revealed first on the website or through a direct. And they had plenty of opportunity to do that with Pac-Man throughout the day. But instead they did it behind closed doors and through twitter. Just sucked. Felt really disrespectful, like they were ashamed of him and wanted to reveal him quietly.
I don't think that was it at all. I think they revealed him at the Roundtable so Sakurai could actually follow up the trailer by talking about why Pac-Man was added and his significance to gaming and then do the historic Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man match. They definitely weren't ashamed. Why else would they play up the whole "four pillars of gaming" angle so hard?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Don't you know Nintendo are behind the times. :troll:

I think @ greenluigiman2 greenluigiman2 sums up what Sakurai was doing pretty well.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Back in my day, we discovered characters through bumping along in the game, not Twitter.
Back in my day, we unlocked characters by grinding at the game for a week never being able to figure our why one of us got Luigi from Adventure Mode and the other didn't and further having no idea at all what the deal was with those two spots in the bottom center of the roster that no one had unlocked. Then we caved and busted out the good old dial-up AOL and discovered the incredibly arcane unlock requirements for Luigi (I must have awful luck to have never gotten this by accident!) and Mewtwo. We then spent the entire night on New Year's Eve throwing ourselves into the pit as Fox on Mushroom Kingdom 1 to unlock Mewtwo ASAP, and then with everyone else we were able to get G&W quickly to finally have everyone.

Yeah, this way with the reveal trailer stuff really is a lot better. The fine details really aren't a big deal at this point. For my part, I'm definitely looking forward to Monday.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I really hope it isnt one of the gematsu characters. Not so much that I don't like them, but that they don't fit all that well.
That's kind of the point. We have tiny humans with big heads, realistic proportioned humans with normal sized heads, normal weapons, magic, cartoony animals, more realistic animals, etc. Shulk fits in just as much as Link or Marth. Same with Chrom. Chorus Kids fit just as much as R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch.

The differences and 'not fitting' is what makes them fit. That's the essence of SSB. The diversity of Nintendo's characters across their franchises.

Doesn't even matter if you use Twitter or not. People that do report it. So the correct answer is 'not the internet'.

Because that's the true culprit. We wouldn't have leaks, Twitter or fan sites that pick those things up and tell us.

Nnnno...

Brawl was revealed behind closed doors. Along with all the newcomers and Snake.
And in case you forgot, the same thing happened with Wii Fit Trainer. She was revealed behind closed doors, then we found out via some guy posting a Vine of it, on Twitter. Then revealed on the site shortly after.

To us it was 'oh, Twitter', but for several people, they got to see not only the trailer, but gameplay footage, and a brief discussion. It was a treat for those people. In fact, if we DIDN'T have stuff like Twitter, it would've happened exactly the same way, except you wouldn't know until it was on the site.

Star Fox U was also revealed behind closed doors. All we formally got was blurred out footage, a confirmation in text, and a picture where you can barely tell it's a game.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Solution that would appeal to all: BANJO KAZOOIE
Because that would be absolutely crazy, unpredictable, and beloved by all.
Unseen, hype worthy, and not even interfering with the 'game icon' nature of third parties (thusly, four icons in Mario, Sonic, Megman, and Pacman. And then we also get this beauty for the fans!)

I really, really wish Rare wasn't bought out, because Banjo-Kazooie would be perfect in Smash Bros. There is ton of moveset potential with this pair. But sadly, it will never happen now.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm sure Sakurai and his team know about the Gematsu leak but there's not really anything they can do about it since it's freakin' everywhere. There's also the possibility that it isn't Shulk and this is a case of misdirection. If it is Shulk, the guy could have done this on impulse. Think about it; having your character get into Smash Bros is a pretty huge deal, especially for a second party character that's only a few years old and battling legends like Mario and Link so maybe he wasn't able to contain his enthusiasm. You also have to admit, it would have raised even more suspicion if he had detracted it.
Shulk is first party. Nintendo owns monolith soft and the rights to shulk and xenoblade. He is in the same situation as the pokemon brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom