• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You're all forgetting about: :metaknight:(not OP this time) :wolf: (THE main enemy of Fox) :wario: (THE main enemy of Mario)
:ganondorf: (THE main enemy of Link) and :mewtwopm: (the most highly requested character)

5 basically confirmed villains right there.
Mewtwo is hardly confirmed, and even then I don't consider him a villain, he's just a Pokémon, and even in the anime he becomes a good guy.
Meta Knight has only ever been a bad guy once, otherwise he's always a good guy, most of the time it's Kirby's who's misunderstanding stuff.
Wario hasn't done any evil deeds in forever, and he's far from the main enemy of Mario at all, he hasn't had anything to do with Mario in forever.

So yeah, Ganondorf and Wolf are the only two real villains we're waiting for. That makes three alongside Bowser (Dedede is the same as Meta Knight.)

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I wont even bother to speculate who the character is. We will find out soon enough anyway. I'd rather think about what this does to Gematsu leak; is it legit, fake or something in between?

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I want Mighty No. 9 (Beck) for Smash Bros 4...

MIGHTY NO. 9 FOR SMASH BROS 4!!
Make it happen, Sakurai...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I shared these thoughts on a different thread, but I thought it'd make sense to share them here as well, as they are relevant to the topic at hand. Chew it up, spit it out, I don't care what you do with it. I thought they could potentially be interesting, or could cause me grief and render me the laughing stock of SmashBoards for "grasping at straws" (even though I posted a disclaimer that makes it sound obvious that I know what I am getting myself into). Woooooo...

If you commit yourself, be sure to read it through... or not.

If you don't read it through, don't bother with a reply... or do.

Okay, here you go:

Actually... it could be Krystal. Bear with me on the following, as some of it might seem long-winded. However, it remains interestingly possible.

Firstly, I established that Star Fox 3D was released on July 14th, 2011, right? It was released in Japan that day, not the U.S.

Why is that significant? Well, Sakurai released veterans on multiple anniversaries/release dates of certain games. Most of these dates (in fact, all that I can remember) were the Japanese anniversaries/release dates. King DeDeDe is one example, and Yoshi was going to be another (but was held for the direct due to fine-tuning changes, which eventually led to the speculation of changes in Metaknight and Ganondorf, but that's another topic). Diddy Kong, I believe, is another.

Here's the thing: the Japanese anniversary of Star Fox 64 3D on July 14th could hint to the veteran inclusion of the newcomer trailer, for most (perhaps all, even) of the anniversary-related characters were veterans. Also, how many franchises are starving of content in the new Smash Brothers so far? Besides Mother/Earthbound, I can only really think of Star Fox...

Not only that, but there's the curious spacing of the portraits of veterans and newcomers on the Smash home website. The most common pattern (if you want to call it a pattern, a pattern that repeated 4 times successfully) is: Veteran, Veteran, Veteran, Newcomer (and it squares up nicely on the website, but... details, who really cares?). I realize that this isn't consistent through the entirety of the website, but it has only been disrupted by both E3's. Yes, this pattern survived through the Smash Direct, and that was considered big.

Why could this matter? Besides, this would mean that we could get Falco, Wolf, Krystal; Veteran, Veteran, Newcomer (thus not conforming to the pattern itself). Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to point you to Nintendo's sponsorship of Evo. Yes, Evo is happening this weekend. Nintendo could reveal a veteran there, easily (or the Monday pic of the day, following Evo). Captain Falcon hype, anyone? (Probably won't happen, but this is all theoretical, so don't bash me for "grasping for straws", as I'm well aware that I could very well be. Like I said before, sometime's it's fun to extend hypothesis and embrace the possibilities through speculation, but that's just me). Thus, with a veteran reveal at Evo, plus the remaining Star Fox cast (plus Krystal) on Monday, the pattern would be restored: Veteran, Veteran, Veteran, Newcomer.

Honestly, the point above doesn't really matter one way or another, but it is interesting. The smash site will live if this doesn't turn out to be a stock pattern, and the possibility of Krystal being revealed on Monday certainly doesn't hinge on this point either. I personally think that having four newcomer portraits back-to-back, while roughly eleven veterans have yet to be shown, would be odd, but that's my opinion.

There is another more interesting point, though. The next point is more hypothetical than the previous ones (but it makes more sense than the previous point all together).

Many of us are assuming Sakurai is well aware of the Gematsu leak, right? And because of Rosalina, I'm sure that it's a safe bet there are other characters Gematsu wasn't aware of (or, knowingly didn't leak on purpose, but that's a topic I'm reserving for a later date...) that have yet to be revealed. E3 just confirmed three additional Gematsu characters. I would like to think, that if this is possible, Sakurai would throw in another curve ball to surprise us, somewhere.

This, and Monolith Soft, while they retweeted Sakurai's post, have retweeted many Smash-related things in the past few months, so I'm not convinced that it's sure-fire evidence for Shulk. Sure, it's the writer this time around, but I'm still not entirely convinced.

But there's something else to this point:

I have a question to all who read this post. How aware is Sakurai about the flak that the Star Fox franchise has received due to the semi-clone feel of the characters and their literal clones-for-Final-Smashes in Brawl?

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen this brought up before. This is the next Smash Brothers game! Do we really think that Sakurai, who's probably no doubt aware of the flak that the Star Fox franchise has received in Brawl, is going to repeat the same mistake, or neglect the franchise from a chance to finally prove itself capable of producing a fighter that can truly be unique or different than the other Star Fox characters? And again, they can show us all of the new final smashes together, to showcase and clarify how different they are.

I can see it now:

Masahiro Sakurai

"Look Ma, no multiple land masters!"

To me, this is why it makes sense for Sakurai to release Krystal along with Falco and Wolf, instead of Krystal being DLC. No other franchise (save for certain characters, i.e. Ganondorf, but this is referring to whole franchises) on the Smash roster has some important change that is needed, and needed to be clarified. Along the production of Smash 4, Sakurai has made clear the changes made to certain characters from the past iterations of Smash. Why would he miss this opportunity to capitalize on clarifying the changes to a franchise in Smash Brothers that, easily more than every other franchise on the roster, desperately needs a change to be clarified to the Smash audience? It almost makes no sense not to. Besides, this is an excellent time to finally show us a stage or two for Star Fox! On-ground Sauria, anyone? *Cough Cough*

If the change isn't made, and clarified, I predict the Star Fox franchise to continue receiving flak regarding representation and character feel. That would be incredibly unfortunate.

Besides, I think we've forgotten about the way Charizard was revealed in the Smash Direct. Firstly, he's the only veteran to be revealed, so far, in a newcomer trailer. There was a reason, though. Sakurai used the newcomer trailer of Greninja to punctuate the clarification that Charizard is no longer with the Pokemon Trainer. To me, it seems that veterans might only become included in a newcomer trailer if there is a change that is needed to be clarified within said trailer. This method maximizes the effect of the change through clarification on the audience, mainly because people are now able to associate said change with the trailer and/or newcomer (basic psychology). I think the Star Fox veterans are in need of a clarified change regarding move-sets and Final Smashes, due to the mostly negative reception the franchise received in Brawl. A great way to punctuate such a change would be for Krystal to spearhead it.

Anyways, these were a couple thoughts of mine. What do you guys think? Personally, I'm not expecting anyone specific. I'll wait and see who it is on Monday. I just thought some of these points could be interesting.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I certainly applaud people skeptical enough to be disuaded from Gematsu at this point. As long as I get my Shulk, I don't care either way, but I personally find it hard to slap something so correct in the face.

Oh well, it's only going to end one way, after all. Hmm.
Personally, I think the Gematsu leak is fake. Or at least, only the first was true. I too once thought that it was a very credible source. However, the moment I read that third leak and the mention of Ness or Lucas being cut was when I realized that it was pure BS.

The first leak is correct by technicality. All the mentioned characters are in the game, so the leak is correct. But there are too many inconsistencies that become blatantly obvious once you get past the Wii Fit Trainer. No mention of Rosalina is super suspicious (even if it's just to say that he didn't know about her). The fact he initially said Miis and not Mii Fighters, only changing it right before the Digital Event. Not getting Villager's name right. Only mentioning Pokémon from X and Y and not Greninja right before the Smash Direct. He didn't even mention amiibos! If he had access to the stash, why would he make such blatant mistakes yet get Wii Fit Trainer's name right? And then of course, mentioning characters being cut was the final straw. But this is discussion that's better served in that leak's respective thread.

Regardless of who is revealed, it's sure to be amazing.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Why do a lot of people think the leaker didn't know that Rosalina was a new character? He first leaked six characters that were supposed to be shown at E3 in 2013 and leaked the rest of the roster in 2014. Rosalina was revealed between the two leaks, so the leaker didn't have to 'leak' her in April because we already knew she was in the game. 8/11 of the leaked characters have been confirmed. I'm pretty sure the leak is real.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hoping for ridley, but it will probably one of the gemastu 3. Although with this much hype around it and it being streamed live I could see it being someone completely random that we couldn't predict. Either way I am hyped!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Why do a lot of people think the leaker didn't know that Rosalina was a new character? He first leaked six characters that were supposed to be shown at E3 in 2013 and leaked the rest of the roster in 2014. Rosalina was revealed between the two leaks, so the leaker didn't have to 'leak' her in April because we already knew she was in the game. 8/11 of the leaked characters have been confirmed. I'm pretty sure the leak is real.
Then why didn't he leak her in the first leak? She was the 4th newcomer reveal how'd he miss her?

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Are people white knighting leaks now?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Then why didn't he leak her in the first leak? She was the 4th newcomer reveal how'd he miss her?
The first leak was only ever supposed to be in relation to E3 2013, and she was never intended to be revealed for that. He didn't post again in time to leak Rosalina, because when he posted the second leak she was already confirmed.

Booster

Smash Lord
I wont even bother to speculate who the character is. We will find out soon enough anyway. I'd rather think about what this does to Gematsu leak; is it legit, fake or something in between?
Mostly legit so far with a fair share of fake I'd say.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I wanna say something about the newcomer, but everyones talking about leaks.....

Also, Im blaming Sakurai for making me hate the weekends. Thank gawd the newcomer is during my Monday morning, so I wont have to wait long....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's Sakurai's life ambition to make the weekend last longer. Hence the announcement on Friday.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
I wanna say something about the newcomer, but everyones talking about leaks.....

Also, Im blaming Sakurai for making me hate the weekends. Thank gawd the newcomer is during my Monday morning, so I wont have to wait long....
Well, if you need your fair share of Smash, Evo is happening right now! (shameless plug)

But I do have to wonder what's so taboo about weekends. I understand it isn't business hours, but is it impossible to set something up on (mostly) everyone's free day?

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Well apparently, Gematsu/Sal Romano is Sakurai. Nonsense, I can't believe how some people are white knighting a "leaker".

Can we just not debate about a rumor leak, for once?Seriously?

Real or not, it does not matter, only when the final roster is revealed in September then we can claim it's fate. Besides, did the leak mention anything about the veterans, stages, music, items, Amiibo, Smash Run, Trophies, Classic, Adventure, Events, All Stars, For Fun/ For Glory, or any old and new features besides an incomplete newcomer roster that mind you, never mentioned that it was every newcomer? NO! It's so sad how this community is getting even more fractured because of some "leak, that has of yet been truly proven. The people against it refuse to accept the possibility of the small amount of info Sal leaked may be true, especially because of the evidence. Not all but many blindly bash any possibility of the leak being in fact true because their favorite newcomers is not on it.The believers of the leak, including myself, fail to realize that all of is is really just assumptions and speculation on a very shoddy, suspicious, and faulty leak. We make up any excuse to defend it's legitimacy and sometimes even go as far to harass people that may not support the leak/support newcomers not on the leak and look down at them as fools for not sharing opinions.

The leak is not "true" or "false, it is just a rumor which is sadly plaguing the Smash community at every corner, I have decided will just look at the leak as "guilty until proven innocent" instead of trying to prove it's legitimacy, unless someone shows me the complete product SSB4 right now, the Gematsu leak is nothing more than just another leak.

THAT being said, I expect probably Shulk out of the Gematsu Three. I am expecting the unexpected overall however, so hope to be surprised.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
The first leak was only ever supposed to be in relation to E3 2013, and she was never intended to be revealed for that. He didn't post again in time to leak Rosalina, because when he posted the second leak she was already confirmed.
This is silly, if he had the information on Rosalina then why didn't he reveal it? Why would he wait, can he only leak information on certain days of the year?

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
If it is Shulk, I'm interested in seeing how his moveset is. I'm guessing it'll be a bunch of basic slashes and then Monado specials. That seems to be the most logical way to go about it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This is silly, if he had the information on Rosalina then why didn't he reveal it? Why would he wait, can he only leak information on certain days of the year?
I believe the point people are making is that Sal's source didn't tell him about Rosalina because she was revealed between two different sets of leaks.

Or something to that effect.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why but since Smash 4 was revealed but some reason i'm getting hyped for every reveal hoping it's Mewtwo. I don't think he's going to be revealed if he's in, but the chance is that he's an secret character. I don't know Shulk but after watching some Xenoblade Chronicles gameplay video's he seems cool. Also, still hoping for Ridley!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I believe the point people are making is that Sal's source didn't tell him about Rosalina because she was revealed between two different sets of leaks.

Or something to that effect.
Okay, so he totally knew about Rosalina but withheld the information because he was worried about leak frequency?

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Fingers crossed for Snake...
Regardless, I know i'll be excited for whoever it is. Since there's nobody who has a good chance that I don't want. Hype hype.
Monday is a Newcomer, so you can count Snake out for Monday. We all know its gonna be Music Monday for the Chorus Men.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
But not mentioning her at all is extremely suspicious. Even Sal himself found it odd that there was no mention of Rosalina in the second leak. Regardless, I say that the second and third leaks should be taken with a grain of salt.

Monday is a Newcomer, so you can count Snake out for Monday. We all know its gonna be Music Monday for the Chorus Men.
Doesn't mean that Snake can't sneak in. :troll:

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
He didn't specify “newcomer”, "new challenger" can very well just mean an unrevealed SSB4 fighter…plus, Snake being replaced by Big Boss to count as a “newcomer” is possible, since it's kind of happened before.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
He didn't specify “newcomer”, "new challenger" can very well just mean an unrevealed SSB4 fighter…plus, Snake being replaced by Big Boss to count as a “newcomer” is possible, since it's kind of happened before.
Im taking new challenger as newcomer. Because never before has Sakurai made an announcement for a veteran, so I dont see why he would do it this time.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Isn't the Monday newcomer video longer than usual? Just a thought.

Edit: jk Palutena's is also 3 mins long.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if at the end of the trailer, basically after it ends there's like a little bonus cllip where Snake just pops out his box and says "kept you waiting, huh".

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
If it is Shulk, I'm interested in seeing how his moveset is. I'm guessing it'll be a bunch of basic slashes and then Monado specials. That seems to be the most logical way to go about it.
his normals might be his arts that are not monado specials as well, like back slash and air stream

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
On top of that, he might have meant the video was new, in which case, the video could feature anything.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Personally, I think the Gematsu leak is fake. Or at least, only the first was true. I too once thought that it was a very credible source. However, the moment I read that third leak and the mention of Ness or Lucas being cut was when I realized that it was pure BS.
So let me get this straight you believed the leak until he said something you didn't like? Lol

And POSSIBLY the guy who is leaking this only works on the trailers to some degree so he only knows info on the newcomers and would be why he didn't know anything about the nfc figures and modes.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
But not mentioning her at all is extremely suspicious. Even Sal himself found it odd that there was no mention of Rosalina in the second leak. Regardless, I say that the second and third leaks should be taken with a grain of salt.
It's not suspicious at all. His first leak was in relation to E3. Rosalina wasn't intended to be shown at E3. The second leak came before the direct which was after Rosalina's reveal. Simple as that.

Even if he had information and knew about Rosalina before E3 2013, just because he didn't reveal it doesn't make it suspicious. Self-imposed rules about what the leaker should and shouldn't have done do not make the leak any less likely. It's like you guys are saying "he didn't reveal everything at once, so the leak is fake" rather than looking at the big picture and seeing that 8 out of 11 characters have been confirmed so far and none have been deconfirmed.

Face it, guys, if you're claiming the Gematsu leak as fake, you're desperately grasping at straws at this point. Just face facts, realize it's 99% likely to happen, and be hopeful for other potential hidden newcomers.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
H
On top of that, he might have meant the video was new, in which case, the video could feature anything.
he said new CHALLENGER which indicates a character and he said its a video, only the newcomers have gotten videos thus far. Why would that change?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
It's not suspicious at all. His first leak was in relation to E3. Rosalina wasn't intended to be shown at E3. The second leak came before the direct which was after Rosalina's reveal. Simple as that.

Even if he had information and knew about Rosalina before E3 2013, just because he didn't reveal it doesn't make it suspicious. Self-imposed rules about what the leaker should and shouldn't have done do not make the leak any less likely. It's like you guys are saying "he didn't reveal everything at once, so the leak is fake" rather than looking at the big picture and seeing that 8 out of 11 characters have been confirmed so far and none have been deconfirmed.

Face it, guys, if you're claiming the Gematsu leak as fake, you're desperately grasping at straws at this point. Just face facts, realize it's 99% likely to happen, and be hopeful for other potential hidden newcomers.
Because on Oct 2nd 2013 Sonic happened
Good point, but that video was rather short wasn't it? Am I incorrect or is this video supposed to be 3 mins in length? I remember reading that it's 3 mins somewhere.

Last edited:

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
So let me get this straight you believed the leak until he said something you didn't like? Lol

And POSSIBLY the guy who is leaking this only works on the trailers to some degree so he only knows info on the newcomers and would be why he didn't know anything about the nfc figures and modes.
But if he knew all the trailers, that still leaves Rosalina as an outlier.

Edit for elaboration:

Sal leaked before the Smash direct. Why not before the regular direct? And Little Mac was a prediction that wasn't at E3, so how come Rosalina is still left out?

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if at the end of the trailer, basically after it ends there's like a little bonus cllip where Snake just pops out his box and says "kept you waiting, huh".
Alternatively, just a bonus scene showing a cardboard box in the background. The newcomer walks by, stops and stares at it for a moment, then continues walking by. Then we fade to black...

For maximum trollage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom