• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: DeMille (Demiru in Japan) (from Tomato Adventure)

parrothead

Smash Lord
They already did robot characters actually, and they didn't list any of the characters you listed, although Skapon does show up in the Konami's Crew of all places... But that's alright because IGN's "Smash It Up!" doesn't mean spit anyway, IMO.
It looks like many people think that every Ray is the same, but they're wrong. Ray is like Ultraman and Link, because there are many different versions of them. Most people in America know Ray 01 more than any other Ray, even when Custom Robo Arena was released in America. For most people in Europe and Australia, they probably know Ray Mk II and Ray Mk III more than any other Ray. I don't know which Ray is the most popular in Japan, but it's either Ray Mk II, Ray 01, or Ray Mk III.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind if this character showed up. I mean I would just be impartial. I don't know anything about him. But I got to ask whats with this push for Japan-only characters likeDeMille or that star? Its not like we ever got to play the games and fall in love with their characters.

I'm not asking to be a prick, I'm honestly curious.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
It would be good for Demille to be on Brawl so more people can meet him.

parrothead

Smash Lord
DeMille's requests in Sakurai's SSBB poll had a lot of words. The "Tomato Robot" character mentioned in the poll is actually the name of one of the extreme attacks in Tomato Adventure.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

If DeMille isn't being seen as an Assist Trophy, then perhaps he is either an unlockable character, a regular Trophy, a Sticker, or he's not added to SSBB.

Like Lucas, DeMille got two requests mentioned in the SSBB poll with lots of info. This might allow him to enter SSBB as anything, despite having a title not as popular as MOTHER 3/GBA EarthBound.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Another thing that Lucas and DeMille have in common is that both of their appearances are contemporary Game Boy Advance titles that were only released in Japan.

courte

Smash Lord
i cant quite play a japanese rpg but it looks like it would have been safe to import this title -- i must say IM NOT AGAINST IT~~ lets hope he can push us to about 50

parrothead

Smash Lord
The only difference is that Mother 3 has a bigger fanbase then Tomato Adventure.
True, that's one of the things on the negative side of DeMille. Also, Tomato Adventure is four years older than MOTHER 3/GBA EarthBound.

One of the things on his positive side is the large number of things he does. He looks quite easy enough for Sakurai to add him into SSBB. Potential is one of the most (if not the most) important things in adding characters for SSBB. Also, if Sakurai, Square-Enix and Chihiro Fujioka can't or don't want to add Geno into SSBB, then they might add DeMille instead or not add any of them.

I know popularity is another thing that matters, because like what Joe Dirt (David Spade) said, "It's not what you want, it's what the customer wants." And if the character came from a million-seller, he/she/it will very likely enter SSBB at least as a Sticker or Trophy.

I understand that Geno is one of the characters requested the most, but DeMille, unlike Geno, is one of the few original protagonists from one of Chihiro Fujioka's produced titles. Also, Tomato Adventure is the first AlphaDream title published by Nintendo. Geno is a secondary character. Even though, there are some secondary Mario characters, SSBB probably won't look good enough without adding Mallow along with Geno. But if they both entered, then that would be about five Mario characters total (eight if you count Wario, Donkey Kong and Yoshi).

We don't know how many Japan-Only characters will enter SSBB. In the first SSB, there were zero Japan-Only characters. In SSBM, there were two (one if you don't count Roy, due to him being a clone). SSBB might have two, three or four Japan-Only characters.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
We don't know how many Japan-Only characters will enter SSBB. In the first SSB, there were zero Japan-Only characters. In SSBM, there were two (one if you don't count Roy, due to him being a clone). SSBB might have two, three or four Japan-Only characters.
Counting Lucas, correct?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Counting Lucas, correct?
Correct. Marth also counts. Even though he appeared in SSBM, which was released worldwide, I'm excluding SSB series appearances. If he does appear, then the Fire Emblem DS title starring him will probably be released globally. And when that happens, Marth will no longer be a Japan-Only character.

The Japan-Only characters that have the highest chances at entering (besides Marth) are Takamaru, DeMille, Skapon and Stafy.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
I am in with Demille in Brawl. I agree that the game needs more characters that are known only in Japan for now.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I am in with Demille in Brawl. I agree that the game needs more characters that are known only in Japan for now.
But not too many or more gamers will overlook SSBB.

Most likey, there will be four Japan-Only characters, including Lucas and Marth. Even though, Marth appeared in SSBM, which was released worldwide, I'm excluding SSB series appearances, because its all about where they originated from.

parrothead

Smash Lord
How does Stafy have more of a chance than Demile? Stafy wasn't even on the poll.
If popular means everything, then Stafy is a good choice. I know Stafy wasn't mentioned in Sakurai's SSBB poll, and neither was Sonic, Pokemon Trainer nor any of his three Pokemon.

Several people here thought Stafy lacks strong punches and kicks, but he might, because I saw him fixing to fight with his bare hands against Ogura in the longer version of the commercial for Densetsu no Stafy 3.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
How does Stafy have more of a chance than Demile? Stafy wasn't even on the poll.
Maybe it's because Stafy is a wildly popular in Japan right now. And Jsut because he wasn't on the poll doesn't diminish his chances in the slightest.

Sonic and Pokémon Trainer weren't on the poll, either, yet their in.

...Although, why Sonic and Stafy WEREN'T on the poll to begin with, I haven't the faintest idea.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I have a feeling that Sakurai will only add characters and stages from Nintendo titles that are very notable for certain reason. Mr. Game & Watch was added to SSBM, not only to represent Nintendo's earliest hand held games, but also to remember the Game & Watch creator, Gunpei Yokoi. After Gunpei Yokoi passed away, Nintendo immediately started the Game & Watch Gallery series. The Ice Climbers were added to represent the old-school NES era, along with Pit. Marth was added to SSBM for many reasons, most notably for being the first Lord of the Fire Emblem series, as well as appearing in the first Fire Emblem title (Dark Dragon and Sword of Light) and the best-selling Fire Emblem title in Japan (Mystery of the Emblem). Ness was added to SSB64 and SSBM, because the MOTHER series was very popular in Japan, and MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound was (and perhaps still is) the most popular title of the series. I heard that Captain Falcon was added to SSB64, SSBM and most likely SSBB, because Masahiro Sakurai liked him. Roy wasn't too important, but due to Sakurai running out of time, he added Roy as a clone to advertise Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals. Lucas was added to SSBB, not only because two of his requests were shown in Sakurai's SSBB poll, but also to advertise MOTHER 3/GBA EarthBound. I'm too lazy and tired to think of several other reasons why some characters were added to some SSB titles. The reason why I'm saying this is that I'm about to ask a question. Is there anything very special about DeMille or Tomato Adventure? If there isn't, then DeMille's chance is pretty low, despite being one of the most requested characters for SSBB. Masahiro Sakurai might ask Chihiro Fujioka and Toshiharu Izuno if it would be okay to put DeMille into SSBB as anything.

I noticed that Chihiro Fujioka didn't do anything in developing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but he designed the sequel. The real reason why Geno made a cameo appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is that almost everyone who developed Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, also developed Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Just like Game Freak adding some Pulseman references to some Pokemon titles and Drill Dozer.

A few minutes ago, I finally created the Wikipedia article about Chihiro Fujioka. I also updated the Tomato Adventure article with references.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Mr. Game & Watch was added to SSBM, not only to represent Nintendo's earliest hand held games, but also to remember the Game & Watch creator, Gunpei Yokoi. After Gunpei Yokoi passed away, Nintendo immediately started the Game & Watch Gallery series.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Mr. Yokoi made a huge difference in Nintendo. G&W will get in. If not a playable character, then maybe an assist trophy.

One thing that still gets me is how Snake got in Brawl. It's so sad that someone would beg to have their character put in. Especially one that doesn't even seem to fit with Nintendo's somewhat cheery style (notice I said "somewhat"). Now I'm wondering who else will take the 3rd party slot.

For the reason you posted, I believe Stafy might get into Brawl. If the creators of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga could place a Stafy cameo in the game, maybe he's more famous than we thought. DeMille is kind of the same way. Tomato Adventure sort of set some standard to Superstar Saga.

Well, anyway, nice job, Parrothead!
:)

For you, I'm hoping DeMille and Stafy get into Brawl!

parrothead

Smash Lord
Prince Richard from For the Frog the Bell Tolls was mentioned in the SSBM poll, but Sakurai couldn't add him, not only because he is Japan-only, but also because he wasn't as important as Sablé. They might lack certain things needed in order to have a good move set.
The Marvelous bunch from Marvelous: Another Treasure Island were mentioned in the SSBM poll, but Sakurai didn't want to add them, not only because they were Japan-only, but also probably because it would be too difficult to make a 3-in-1 character or something like that, but this was before Pokémon Trainer. Also, I don't know if they have much anything usable enough for their SSB move set.

Skapon was also mentioned in the SSBM poll, but Sakurai couldn't add him for some reason. Most likely because he lacks limbs. Sakurai also said he might not add him in the next SSB title (SSBB).

Lip was also mentioned in the SSBM poll, but Sakurai decided not to add her, not only because she is Japan-only, but also because she lacks potential. Even though, Marth and Captian Falcon lacked potential before they appeared, Sakurai added C. Falcon because he wanted to, while he added Marth for several reasons.

DeMille is a very good choice. Even though he is Japan-only and slightly popular, he has a large potential.

Geist

Smash Master
he looks like a good candidate for brawl, i can sort of picture him, but ima have to say id rather see a more familiar face like ridley.

dont listen to blowtoes, he is a biased metroid fan and eats kittens.

parrothead

Smash Lord
he looks like a good candidate for brawl, i can sort of picture him, but ima have to say id rather see a more familiar face like ridley.

dont listen to blowtoes, he is a biased metroid fan and eats kittens.
Well, it would be boring if the SSB series only included characters that are popular and well-known worldwide.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, it would be boring if the SSB series only included characters that are popular and well-known worldwide.
Yet, the majority of people only want characters that are popular and reoccuring...

Ever notice how the reason people like a character is "Because he's popular"...

...Very boring

parrothead

Smash Lord
Yet, the majority of people only want characters that are popular and reoccuring...

Ever notice how the reason people like a character is "Because he's popular"...

...Very boring
True, but when Nintendo and other companies begin to run out of ideas, they begin to use a few lesser-known, but unique characters, including some Japan-Only characters that are popular.

In Namco X Capcom, there weren't way too many Japan-Only characters. Even though, NXC was only released in Japan, Nintendo added about the same number of Japan-Only characters to SSBM (including the Trophies), which didn't prevent Nintendo from releasing it worldwide. All the Japan-Only Namco titles that were represented in NXC were:

* Wonder Momo
* Valkyrie series (However, Valkyrie no Densetsu was also released outside of Japan in one of the Namco collection titles)
* Genpei Tōma Den (However, the second title of the series was released in North America as Samurai Ghost)
* Tales of Destiny 2 (However, it was also released in China and Hong Kong)

AND

* BaRaDuke

Several other Namco titles were lesser-known, such as Burning Force, Tower of Druaga and Bravoman.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
He's on the poll and has a plethora of gimmicks to make a moveset out of. I think he's a pretty good contender, and your post was very helpful in helping me learn about him.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
*BUMP, for Great Justice*

In honor of parrothead...

Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with no news on any new/returning characters, lately? Wouldn't it be weird if tomorrow's update was DeMille's?!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
*BUMP, for Great Justice*

In honor of parrothead...

Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with no news on any new/returning characters, lately? Wouldn't it be weird if tomorrow's update was DeMille's?!
Unfortunately, it's a character update, but not like we wanted. And why the F*CK isn't PK Love his Final Smash?

Top Bottom