• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challengers! Fire Emblem's Robin and Lucina, Featuring Captain Falcon

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Time to tip the scales? SCALES? Ridley has scales. Ridley confirmed

Last edited:

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
OK you saying this tells me you did not play FE: Awakening and going off assumption, as Robin totally has a background and personality. You create a Robin sure but the story revolves around Robin and he plays important roles throughout the story. You even have dialogue scenes with characters where you have no input and Robin speaks for himself almost all the time defining his character. I recommend playing the game for yourself it really is just that great.
I did play it; I thought the dialogue was kind if bland. I guess the whole deal where he was revealed as Grima was cool, but it wasn't explored too awful much.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

You don't choose Falcon, Falcon chooses you.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I'm so happy that we did not get Shulk. Still i fear his appearance as a playable in the near future though...

but yeah, we can have another blue hair swordfighter cloned from Marth... Lucina wasn't really on my wishlist. I would had loved a female axe or lance fighter from FE more I think.

But hey we get some hot Captain Falcon action plus a new mage with my name as something fresh from the FE series.
My day was good!

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
Fixed it there.

And yeah, I second the feeling. But to be fair, Robin's looks like it's almost there for show. Did you see how little the opponent budged when he slashed at him with it? It was almost a joke.

But it's about time for more unique weapons to be seen. Axes, Lances, Paintball guns, more yoyos, etc. :D
i said 3D because it's for 3DS. Everything random for 3DS has 3D on the name. Even Kingdom Hearts Development Deadline Destruction

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i said 3D because it's for 3DS. Everything random for 3DS has 3D on the name. Even Kingdom Hearts Development Deadline Destruction
Aaah! Gotcha!
I was thinking more along the lines of being a 2D fighting version, but now I get it.

Does anyone think that Shulk is still on the way?
He's probably getting in. Otherwise I don't see why Monolith would suddently get so involved with Smash news.

Zora_of_Ylisse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ztm1996
3DS FC
0130-2279-7854
I had given up hope of seeing any Awakening characters after Ike was re-announced. It may not of been Chrom, but I think Robin is even better. I couldn't be more excited!

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
The way i see it, Lucina is an alternate costume for Marth (seeing she doesn't have the big newcomer screen on the website) And Chrom is part of the Final Smash from Robin. Was not expecting this. Weird that Lucina does have a small screen though, IF she's an alternate costume.. P.S. THE FALCON IS BACK!
If u check the official website, Lucina has the rectangle newcomer box

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Phew; thankfully I didn't get this trailer spoiled too much; missed the live trailer and refreshed the page like crazy.. I like/dislike how Smashbros.com and Smashboards were basically broken from all the hype; thank goodness for Ssbwiki.com and Reddit.com/smashbros. XD

Wow, that was quite the unexpected trailer; aside from showcasing a swordsman, it completely defied #MonadoMonday and apparently shut down that supposed "Gematsu leak" (RIP)! :laugh: I'm still awaiting Shulk's supposed presence..
Anyways, I'm just ecstatic for Robin's presence (in both male and female forms)! I can handle Chrom as a Final Smash cameo; the "pair-up" thing makes for a nice Fire Emblem: Awakening mechanic reference, and the "super move portrait" just looks so sleek! Lucina's presence as a clone bothered me, but I'm hoping something good can be salvaged..

I'm glad that Captain Falcon is returning. Finally, all of the "Captain Falcon plz" people in places where it doesn't even concern him will freaking be quiet; I never knew it could get so annoying >.<. I mean, objectively, Captain Falcon was at risk just as much as any of the other fighters (yes, even Mario), but subjectively, I felt he was practically guaranteed. Did they really need to worry over him that much? At this point, if you don't have "Falcon PAWNCH!" and "Show me your moves!" along with the manly captain himself in a Super Smash Bros. game, you might as well pack up shop and go home.

Apparently, Ike was also spotted using blue fire at 2:20 into the trailer, so that's nice!

But that trailer was just beautiful; it really enhanced my appreciation for the art/animation of Fire Emblem: Awakening cutscenes/trailers. :3

Plus, DAT "Together We Ride" MUSIC! This trailer showed me how much I've grown accustomed to the Brawl arrangement; the instruments just felt..different. XD

The "?!" punctuation at the end of "Lucina Wakes Her Blade" is really bothering me... With all the debate on whether she's a separate character or a Marth costume (in addition to whether she deserves a slot on the roster and why she lacks a banner on non-mobile versions of the SSB4 website), I'm really hoping that the "?!" isn't there solely for "variety's sake" or to unnecessarily fuel speculation..

Last edited:

AutumnFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
ghost_
3DS FC
2020-0198-0608
Switch FC
SW-3974-1854-1008
i found my main!

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Phew; thankfully I didn't get this trailer spoiled too much; missed the live trailer and refreshed the page like crazy.. I like/dislike how Smashbros.com and Smashboards were basically broken from all the hype; thank goodness for Ssbwiki.com and Reddit.com/smashbros. XD

Wow, that was quite the unexpected trailer; aside from showcasing a swordsman, it completely defied #MonadoMonday and apparently shut down that supposed "Gematsu leak" (RIP)! :laugh: I'm still awaiting Shulk's supposed presence..
Anyways, I'm just ecstatic for Robin's presence (in both male and female forms)! I can handle Chrom as a Final Smash cameo; the "pair-up" thing makes for a nice Fire Emblem: Awakening mechanic reference, and the "super move portrait" just looks so sleek! Lucina's presence as a clone bothered me, but I'm hoping something good can be salvaged..

I'm glad that Captain Falcon is returning. Finally, all of the "Captain Falcon plz" people in places where it doesn't even concern him will freaking be quiet; I never knew it could get so annoying >.<. I mean, objectively, Captain Falcon was at risk just as much as any of the other fighters (yes, even Mario), but subjectively, I felt he was practically guaranteed. Did they really need to worry over him that much? At this point, if you don't have "Falcon PAWNCH!" and "Show me your moves!" along with the manly captain himself in a Super Smash Bros. game, you might as well pack up shop and go home.

Apparently, Ike was also spotted using fire at 2:20 into the trailer, so that's nice!

But that trailer was just beautiful; it really enhanced my appreciation for the art/animation of Fire Emblem: Awakening cutscenes/trailers. :3

Plus, DAT "Together We Ride" MUSIC! This trailer showed me how much I've grown accustomed to the Brawl arrangement; the instruments just felt..different. XD
Well get ready for the Ness fans, it's gonna blow up on miiverse in the next week or two about how the original 12 need to comeback

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Really unimpressed with the two reveals. I mean, I felt it was practically obvious we'd be getting a Fire Emblem newcomer, but both Lucina and Robin, even over Chrom? I know this game wasn't made for me, and if I plan on enjoying it to its fullest, I have to suck some of it up, but all I really want is King K. Rool at this point. If Fire Emblem can seemingly procure four characters for a franchise that doesn't even make the top 12 of Nintendo's in terms of sales (and supposedly popularity), why can't DK, or even Metroid, assume at least three? Really hoping for that otherwise, or else this game will just have hampered most of my hype in itself for the character roster, likely. Well, at least Captain Falcon made his big return... I've been waiting for him, and he looks just as glorious as we last saw.

Also, to anyone who's going to automatically shun me for my post because I'm not excited like most of the rest are, this is my respectful opinion. I can't help it that I'm not at all a Fire Emblem fan, but am a long-time one for Donkey Kong and Metroid, and I just want to be thrilled on my part equally, if any, all the same.
I don't know why ANYONE thinks that King K. Rool would ever be a playable character, he hasn't been relevant since DK 64 (1999) I think Ridley has a better chance of making it into a Smash game (and personally I don't think his chances are very good at all) That being said I wasn't thrilled with the reveals today either, I would have been happy with Marth, Ike and Chrom or Lucina (preferably Chrom) for a total of 3 Fire Emblem reps I think Robin is pretty stupid but at least his/her play style deviates from the standard sword wielders. It’s also pretty unfortunate that Lucina at least for now appears to be a Marth clone.

Captain Falcon stole the show IMO

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
I don't know why ANYONE thinks that King K. Rool would ever be a playable character, he hasn't been relevant since DK 64 (1999) I think Ridley has a better chance of making it into a Smash game (and personally I don't think his chances are very good at all) That being said I wasn't thrilled with the reveals today either, I would have been happy with Marth, Ike and Chrom or Lucina (preferably Chrom) for a total of 3 Fire Emblem reps I think Robin is pretty stupid but at least his/her play style deviates from the standard sword wielders. It’s also pretty unfortunate that Lucina at least for now appears to be a Marth clone.

Captain Falcon stole the show IMO

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Mr. G&W was Nintendo's first video game; Ice Climbers and Pit are representatives of the 8-bit NES era, King K. Rool was the villain in the original DKC games and DK 64 it would be one thing if they included him in the most recent DKC games but they haven’t they seemed to have moved away from King K. Rool.

Reiign

Smash Cadet
Lucina is her own character, but she is like the replacement for Roy. Roy and Marth had SIMILAR movesets, and it looks like it will be this way for Lucina and Marth.

D

Deleted member

Robin looks very cool. I'm definitely interested in playing as him/her.

As for Lucina, she seems like a last-minute addition. Even her intro screen seems to imply this thanks to the "?!" at the end. As far as we can tell from the trailer, she is a clone of Marth - a quick sword wielder with the same U-air, N-air, Dancing Blade, and Dolphin Slash. Im trying to think of what unique traits she could bring to the table that maybe weren't displayed in the video, but I can't think of anything. Hell, she doesn't even have Roy's PHIR3, and she even looks like a (very slightly) more feminine version of Marth. I mean, I thought they were trying to move away from the concept of cloned characters. Disappointing.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Mr. G&W was Nintendo's first video game; Ice Climbers and Pit are representatives of the 8-bit NES era, King K. Rool was the villain in the original DKC games and DK 64 it would be one thing if they included him in the most recent DKC games but they haven’t they seemed to have moved away from King K. Rool.
Probably to avoid copyright conflicts with Microsoft... I MEAN RARE, yeah... They still exist... I think... If I remember correctly he was in all the DKC games until Rare got bought out.

Robin looks very cool. I'm definitely interested in playing as him/her.

As for Lucina, she seems like a last-minute addition. Even her intro screen seems to imply this thanks to the "?!" at the end. As far as we can tell from the trailer, she is a clone of Marth - a quick sword wielder with the same U-air, N-air, Dancing Blade, and Dolphin Slash. Im trying to think of what unique traits she could bring to the table that maybe weren't displayed in the video, but I can't think of anything. Hell, she doesn't even have Roy's PHIR3, and she even looks like a (very slightly) more feminine version of Marth. I mean, I thought they were trying to move away from the concept of cloned characters. Disappointing.
Toon*shot*

Last edited:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
He's still part of DK's long-term history, with him being the main central recurring villain for a time, and has yet to have possibly given up that title "entirely." After all, Ganondorf hasn't been the main villain in any Zelda iteration for a while, and he's still considered the "big bad" of the series as it is. For Donkey Kong, a franchise selling well around 48 million units all in all, and is Nintendo's 5th best selling IP that has spanned out many characters, spin-offs, and influences, I think it's all around fair enough that we alleged fans can receive another newcomer, and I'd take King K. Rool over Dixie, personally. Anything for another villain, and to think of the unique moveset he can don, ranging from his different costumes throughout the Country games and 64, I feel as though the possibilities and potential are just endless.

It just makes sense to me, and I can so easily envision him in a rough-'em-up, mascot-esque game like Smash with his ol' cartoon-y self. Plus, I think it's high time we mix around the roster that's now been greatly partisan in human characters with some other species, as Brawl more definitively balanced. I enjoy playing as non-human players from time to time, and I think K. Rool would definitely fit that bill in well enough for someone like me, and the many others that have been requesting him over the years. It's only plausible, seeing as how they've introduced kremlings in Smash Run, so it's not all that farsighted to imagine the kritter king himself thrown into the fray as well.

Probably to avoid copyright conflicts with Microsoft... I MEAN RARE, yeah... They still exist... I think... If I remember correctly he was in all the DKC games until Rare got bought out.
Nintendo still owns those characters. That's why the kremlings are in Smash Run, and K. Rool and them have appeared in Super Mario Sluggers.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
He's still part of DK's long-term history, with him being the main central recurring villain for a time, and has yet to have possibly given up that title "entirely." After all, Ganondorf hasn't been the main villain in any Zelda iteration for a while, and he's still considered the "big bad" of the series as it is. For Donkey Kong, a franchise selling well around 48 million units all and all, and is Nintendo's 5th best selling IP that has spanned out many characters, spin-offs, and influences, I think it's all around fair enough that we alleged fans can receive another newcomer, and I'd take King K. Rool over Dixie, personally. Anything for another villain, and to think of the unique moveset he can don, ranging from his different costumes throughout the Country games and 64, I feel as though the possibilities and potential are ju

It just makes sense to me, and I can so easily envision him in a rough-'em-up, mascot-esque game like Smash with his ol' cartoon-y self. Plus, I think it's high time we mix around the roster that's now been greatly partisan in human characters with some other species, as Brawl more definitively balanced. I enjoy playing as non-human players from time to time, and I think K. Rool would definitely fit that bill in well enough for someone like me, and the many others that have been requesting him over the years. It's only plausible, seeing as how they've introduced kremlings in Smash Run, so it's not all that farsighted to imagine the kritter king thrown into the fray as well.
I agree with everything you said, I feel like he would definitely be a cool character to play as. I'd envision him having a Bowser-esque move set. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having him in, I just don't think it will happen especially since the Rare buy-out that QQQQQQQ7777777 mentioned. I forgot about that completely

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I agree with everything you said, I feel like he would definitely be a cool character to play as. I'd envision him having a Bowser-esque move set. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having him in, I just don't think it will happen especially since the Rare buy-out that QQQQQQQ7777777 mentioned. I forgot about that completely
Good-bye Conker, hello Kinect Sports Season 3

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Anyone could've slapped a prediction and a roster together, there are endless forums and videos of people making predictions. You didn't make an anonymous leak a day before the game was even announced at E3, then have it confirmed next day.
I was just saying that I said that they will probably reveal a FE:A rep other than Chrom the day before it happened and then was sarcastically expecting people to jump all over that as a potential leak because some people grasp at any straw they can. Just saying lucky guesses happen.

Not saying the Gematsu leak lucky guesses all along, but, unless more was said today, it's pretty much all outdated as today's trailer seemed like an intentional blow to it. Maybe they intentionally lead on the idea of Shulk today just to add that much more shock value. Bait n' switch. They got us good, and my hype and hope have skyrocketed. Still want Shulk. Even warmed up to the idea of (Chorus/Choir Men/Boys/Kids)/Marshal.

I love that we have the feeling of not knowing again.

The roster in my signature is just my wishlist at this point, if you we referring to that.

Top Bottom