• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT: Thinking!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
To all users who may think they have a new "advanced technique";

Think about it!! If you're just doing something that's in the game, is very intuitive, and is perhaps a more rapid button input than most casuals would execute, chances are you've just learned how to add 1+1 by doing an intended action or series of actions as fast as the game allows. Turning around and rapidly performing an action IS NOT AN ADVANCED TECHNIQUE. Arbitrary sequences of jumps/dashes/crouches/etc. to "trick" opponents are weak, punishable mindgames at best.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
wavethinking huh?

im no longer a scrub woot! lol j.k seriously tho adding dash or wave to a name doest make it an AT.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
While this is true, people who make threads liek that will continue to do so, pretty much reguardless of what you say. ( That almost makes this thread sorta pointless too).

Well said, anyway. But it will continue to exist.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
SHFFACAPWTD (Short-hopped Fastfalled Auto-Cancelled Aerial into Pivoted Wave Think Dashing)!

Or, as I like to call it, Yuna Twittering. I was the first one to come up with it! I have naming dibs!

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I have this awesome new tech mind game approach that I discovered, I call it "DA Dash Short Hop Rising Backwards DI Forward Aerial, Jump Fast Fall Forward Aerial L-cancel" (DDSHRBDFAJFFFAL for short). Can I be famous now?

But seriously, there are too much threads about ATs that don't exist. I don't just mean by the noobs who know nothing about smash. People who you would think should know better are also guilty. Every little nuance doesn't need to be an AT or even a basic technique.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
logic-dashing and smart-canceling

and perhaps a lil bit of wave-predicting

Infectedpo

Smash Rookie
Some of this laughable AT junk is a natural offshoot of having a forum called "tactical discussion." Perhaps if we renamed this the "Competitive Brawl Discussion" like the one allisbrawl.com has, we'd get rid of some of this nonsense.

Lootic

Smash Apprentice
Please search before posting new threads, this has been up times before. All my friends hate me when I wavethink and Intelligence cancels cause they never know if it was a new strategie when I SDed myself.

@ eriko if you are confused then you´re getting it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You guys wont believe it! I used Wavethinking, made a guys head explode, hen his dead body fell on the analog stick just right so it made him SD 3 times! This is the best technique ever!

Sai Winner of Games

Smash Cadet
somewhere between the 10th and 11th dimensions
NNID
SpiralDragon
3DS FC
1822-0827-5656
Why do you guys have to ruin this game? It has not even been out for that long and people are already finding ways to take fun out of it. Sakurai clearly did not intend for people to use techniques like logicdashing and wavethinking. Brawl does not need these glitches to be competitive. I am sure people will find a way to make it competitive by using techniques Sakurai made himself like intelligence canceling.

Just think of the possibilities: Short Post to Intelligence canceled Troll attempt (SPIT). This is just the beginning of the Brawl competitive scene.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
You guys wont believe it! I used Wavethinking, made a guys head explode, hen his dead body fell on the analog stick just right so it made him SD 3 times! This is the best technique ever!
Obviously wavethinking is the cheapest technique. It may be difficult to get the body to land right, but this is the technique with the most potential by far.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If only more people knew about post canceling, especially on the brawl forums.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
East's guide to Wavethinking, Intelligence Cancelling, and Think Dashing

East's Guide to Wavethinking, Intelligence Cancelling, and Logic Dashing

After seeing the large amount of disarray in this newly created topic, I've been doing a good bit of work with the aforementioned techniques, and I think that I'm able to demystify exactly how they work, and how you, the competitive smasher, can put these items to work to make you an overall better player.

Wavethinking

Wavethinking is possibly the most difficult of the three techniques to master. This is only because it's difficulty to learn varies from person to person. It draws from a mix of intelligence, level of ignorance, as well as the desire to create the holy technique that will break brawl and make the creator a hero among the competitive masses; in which their name will be recorded in the book of the gods right their along with Zeus, Allah, and Melee Falco's Downspike.

Before I continue I feel to completely fully understand wavethinking one should know the difference between a normal technique and an advanced technique. A normal technique is something that the games is able to do, by possibly inputting buttons in a special way, such that they produce a result that aids the player; meaning if I input button 1 and 2 the result is 3 [also mathematically defined as 1+2=3] Examples of this are as simple as a reverse aerial rush.

An advanced technique on the other hand seems to be defined by the smash community here as a technique that when inputed, takes advantage of the games physics in such a way that is more than likely [not always however] breaks them. We input button's 1 and 2 resulting in 42 [also known as the answer to life, the universe, and everything] [mathematically defined as 1+2=wtf?!] Examples of this are wavedashing and possibly L-cancelling from Melee.

Wavethinking can be defined as a player's ability to differentiate a normal technique from an "advanced technique". A good way i've learned to do practice it is to play with pretty much any character, on a basic level such as final destination. when you appear, tap the jump button very lightly, almost as if you were flicking it. You should witness your character jump a very small distance in the air. Now try this again, except slam your finger on the jump button or control stick to jump, and you'll realize that you jump higher. The steps so far aren't the actual wavethink, what comes next is. Depending on who you are and what kind of person you are, after witnessing yourself jump at two different heights, you should feel a tendency to run and post it up on smashboards, expecting praise from your fellow members, only to find that they're just a little pissed because you told them something they already know. The wavethink happens at the point in which you short-hop out of your chair, and before you hit the ground to run to your computer to post, you think about what you're doing, and decide to sit back down and continue playing the game.

With a little bit of practice and a whole lot of common sense, you'll be on your way to wavethinking in no time, thereby reducing "NEW AT THAT COULD POSSIBLY CHANGE BRAWL AS WE KNOW IT!!!!" posts.

Intelligence Cancelling

Intelligence Cancelling is probably the easiest of the three techniques, because it' doesn't require much meticulous input as wavethinking. Intelligence cancelling can only take place when your opponent, or any person for that matter, fails to wavethink in time and posts up what they think is an advanced technique, but is really just them pressing buttons faster than normal. This is the point where you come in and simply reply to their thread:

"Not an AT. You've just been Intelligence Cancelled"

and that's it. If you want to practice, just pop into the tactics discussion forums and I'm sure you'll find a few techniques that need to be Intelligence Cancelled already. Remember, Practice makes perfect! ;)

Logic Dashing

Logic Dashing is to brawl as Wavedashing was to melee. In melee if you ever felt you messed up something, a simple, well-placed wavedash would set you straight. In Brawl, if you ever get to the point in which you are running to your computer to post what you think is an AT meaning that you did not Wavethink first, all you simply need to do is think about what your doing while dashing to post up your false "advanced technique". The input is a little quick however; you'll need to realize that you were a dumb *** in the beginning and that your technique [if truly crappy] will not change the face of brawl. As soon as you come to this realization, you'll have to plant both your feet firmly on the ground to stop your dash immediately, turn around, and go sit back down and continue handing your friends or internet acquaintances their own @$$es. With that said, logic dashing will set you straight when you forget to Wavethink first, so that you won't look like a fool on the boards.

Conclusion

With all of the three techniques posted above, I would like to remind everyone, that not every technique is bad and not need be posted. If you truly feel, after careful thought and consideration, that you have found something truly interesting, please by all means post it up.

For everyone else on the other hand, please wavethink. And if you forget to do that, try and catch yourself with a logicdash, because if you don't, just know that you'll probably be intelligence cancelled.

If you have any questions feel free to pm them to me. Comments are appreciated as well.

-East

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
East's Guide to Wavethinking, Intelligence Cancelling, and Logic Dashing

After seeing the large amount of disarray in this newly created topic, I've been doing a good bit of work with the aforementioned techniques, and I think that I'm able to demystify exactly how they work, and how you, the competitive smasher, can put these items to work to make you an overall better player.

Wavethinking

Wavethinking is possibly the most difficult of the three techniques to master. This is only because it's difficulty to learn varies from person to person. It draws from a mix of intelligence, level of ignorance, as well as the desire to create the holy technique that will break brawl and make the creator a hero among the competitive masses; in which their name will be recorded in the book of the gods right their along with Zeus, Allah, and Melee Falco's Downspike.

Before I continue I feel to completely fully understand wavethinking one should know the difference between a normal technique and an advanced technique. A normal technique is something that the games is able to do, by possibly inputting buttons in a special way, such that they produce a result that aids the player; meaning if I input button 1 and 2 the result is 3 [also mathematically defined as 1+2=3] Examples of this are as simple as a reverse aerial rush.

An advanced technique on the other hand seems to be defined by the smash community here as a technique that when inputed, takes advantage of the games physics in such a way that is more than likely [not always however] breaks them. We input button's 1 and 2 resulting in 42 [also known as the answer to life, the universe, and everything] [mathematically defined as 1+2=wtf?!] Examples of this are wavedashing and possibly L-cancelling from Melee.

Wavethinking can be defined as a player's ability to differentiate a normal technique from an "advanced technique". A good way i've learned to do practice it is to play with pretty much any character, on a basic level such as final destination. when you appear, tap the jump button very lightly, almost as if you were flicking it. You should witness your character jump a very small distance in the air. Now try this again, except slam your finger on the jump button or control stick to jump, and you'll realize that you jump higher. The steps so far aren't the actual wavethink, what comes next is. Depending on who you are and what kind of person you are, after witnessing yourself jump at two different heights, you should feel a tendency to run and post it up on smashboards, expecting praise from your fellow members, only to find that they're just a little pissed because you told them something they already know. The wavethink happens at the point in which you short-hop out of your chair, and before you hit the ground to run to your computer to post, you think about what you're doing, and decide to sit back down and continue playing the game.

With a little bit of practice and a whole lot of common sense, you'll be on your way to wavethinking in no time, thereby reducing "NEW AT THAT COULD POSSIBLY CHANGE BRAWL AS WE KNOW IT!!!!" posts.

Intelligence Cancelling

Intelligence Cancelling is probably the easiest of the three techniques, because it' doesn't require much meticulous input as wavethinking. Intelligence cancelling can only take place when your opponent, or any person for that matter, fails to wavethink in time and posts up what they think is an advanced technique, but is really just them pressing buttons faster than normal. This is the point where you come in and simply reply to their thread:

"Not an AT. You've just been Intelligence Cancelled"

and that's it. If you want to practice, just pop into the tactics discussion forums and I'm sure you'll find a few techniques that need to be Intelligence Cancelled already. Remember, Practice makes perfect! ;)

Logic Dashing

Logic Dashing is to brawl as Wavedashing was to melee. In melee if you ever felt you messed up something, a simple, well-placed wavedash would set you straight. In Brawl, if you ever get to the point in which you are running to your computer to post what you think is an AT meaning that you did not Wavethink first, all you simply need to do is think about what your doing while dashing to post up your false "advanced technique". The input is a little quick however; you'll need to realize that you were a dumb *** in the beginning and that your technique [if truly crappy] will not change the face of brawl. As soon as you come to this realization, you'll have to plant both your feet firmly on the ground to stop your dash immediately, turn around, and go sit back down and continue handing your friends or internet acquaintances their own @$$es. With that said, logic dashing will set you straight when you forget to Wavethink first, so that you won't look like a fool on the boards.

Conclusion

With all of the three techniques posted above, I would like to remind everyone, that not every technique is bad and not need be posted. If you truly feel, after careful thought and consideration, that you have found something truly interesting, please by all means post it up.

For everyone else on the other hand, please wavethink. And if you forget to do that, try and catch yourself with a logicdash, because if you don't, just know that you'll probably be intelligence cancelled.

If you have any questions feel free to pm them to me. Comments are appreciated as well.

-East
Oh. My. God. Most win in a post. Ever. I wanted to literally roflmao. Congrats East, you win SWF. Top score. Lol.

Lootic

Smash Apprentice
@ East: First of all, Hilarious, but I didnt catch the diffrence between WTing(wavethinking) and LDing(Logic dashing). Please explain I actually isnt able to WTing and LDing I lied previously in this thread, Im just a noob which will become ICed(intelligence Cancelled)

Top Bottom