• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Advanced Tech - Gliding Toss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Dragon

Smash Cadet
This could be very useful for Peach players. I am not a Peach player, but I imagine that if you can open with any attack following the Glide Toss, Peach players may be able to exploit the knock back from the turnip to open into a combo, smash attack, grab or anything. It just shows that no game is perfect, and that before we complain about the loss of out precious wave dash (grumble...), we should give the players some times, instead of expecting them to find every advanced tech withing 5 days of release.

Good job finding this, anyway. Depending on how things go I might need to learn some Peach. ^.^

EDIT: I was please to see that Diddy can do this too. It seems like this could help him to further increase his Banana's utility in the game.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Have we decided on a name for this yet? Generally the person that discovers the technique gets to name it, so you should pick out a name already.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Have we decided on a name for this yet? Generally the person that discovers the technique gets to name it, so you should pick out a name already.

I did, It's a Gliding Toss, or turn around Gliding toss.

the other technique I mentioned is called Dashing Shieldgrab apparently, I'm pretty sure it's known

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I tried with Adult Link and no luck. Im almost positive you dont have invincibility frames during the very beginning of the roll...This is also where I think you are able to throw the item....Just not with Link xD
Yeah I can't make Link do it either, either with his bombs or any other item. :/

Magus420

Smash Master
Considering there's already an existing game mechanic called gliding, of which is completely unrelated to this technique, do you think you could perhaps give it a clearer and less ambiguous name than a 'Gliding Toss'? :dizzy:

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I don't know, That's the best way to describe that weird animation, the character sort of glides forward.
I wouldn't call it wave toss cause people will think of it like wavedashing, and it has nothing to do with it.

if you can think of a better name be my guest.

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
Actually, when I first read the title I though something like "WTF, throwing an item while gliding in the air?!", so I agree with the fact that it should be renamed because of the mechanic already called like that xP

As mentioned above, Roll Toss sounds more suiting, I like it :3 but of course, the final detition is ITP's

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. . . Interesting. (I hope this hasn't been mentioned, but) Can you throw items during a side step ? How's about Roll Cancel Toss or Dodge Cancel Toss for naming the glitch?

Magus420

Smash Master
Roll Drift Tossing?

Also, have you tried this except instead of throwing an item to interrupt the roll you do a grab with it (or any other action really)? It's probably been tested but that be crazy/broken if it worked XD

Magus420

Smash Master
'Slide Toss' is rather vague though. It just tells the result and nothing about the cause. The throw should really have some reference to rolling since that's exactly what you're doing. Rolling + Throwing.

Something more like 'Roll Drifted ____' gives a better idea of what's actually involved with the technique.

Plus if there's any related techniques that come up involving roll physics, the prefix is transferable.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Just played some matches with my friend again while using peach and this.

It's safe to say that this definitely increases Peach's ground game. What most people will react to the turnip with a shield. If you space it right, you can throw the turnip, say they block it, then you'll be close enough to throw. Peach's throws aren't as good as Melee, but it's still free damage if they react with a shield.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't use "toss" as the 2nd word, that would imply its a type of toss and the 1st word is describing it, and since glide is taken, I think "Toss Slide" would be the best name.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Just go with Gliding Toss.

Snake, Peach, Diddy, ROB and the Links should be able to use this effectively I think.
So I scanned through the pages and didn't see anything.

Whats the verdict on this? Can Snake do this with his 'nades?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
How about TF?
TF for "Think Fast".

Joking. I know that's lame, but that's what springs to mind when I see Peach do that.
"Oh no, I'm sheilding with an item and totally vulnerable to a gra--THINK FAST!" {wham!} *gets hit in face with turnip*

Ummm... well, anyway the name should involve all three parts:
Rolling
Throwing
Sliding

Niko_K

Smash Master
Just go with Gliding Toss.

So I scanned through the pages and didn't see anything.

Whats the verdict on this? Can Snake do this with his 'nades?
Snake cannot do this with his nades because he drops his nade when he shield rolls...correct me if I'm wrong. Also link is too slow.

simplicityho

Smash Journeyman
How about drift toss?
Drift conjures up images of smoke, which in turn suggests the smooth, forward-or-back movements of a wavedash, with an item throw, since you wouldn't 'toss' an opponent.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I tried running the "Wave Toss" idea through, no one really liked it, but I have to agree to that now.

Wavedashing, as far as we know, is gone. This is a new kind of sliding trick, and is done in a completely different way. The two techniques really shouldn't be lumped together. It just doesn't taste right.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I'm not so sure anymore. I think the word "Roll" is killing any hope of naming this move.

You aren't even really rolling once the move gets going. We don't have to go that far into detail to name the move.

How about just calling it "Slide Toss"? You slide into a toss. Why does this get shot down so quickly?

Tugboat

Smash Rookie
Nice. The "reverse" version looks like it will be very useful. As if I needed another reason to play Peach.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Who ever said this was to replicate any form of WD? Yknow how useful the glide throw is for us peaches?

ITS ALL ABOUT SPACING.

Its a really situational tactic imo.
I understand it's about spacing, but like I said you might as well SH and throw. There's no difference, unless you're afraid that you'll get cut down in mid-air. I can see a few situations where it would be useful, but calling it a 'wave-toss' and whatnot is a bit much. It's an interesting maneuver but no necessarily very useful.

EDIT: Now that I've seen it with Diddy Kong, I think I've changed my mind. One of the major downsides to Diddy play was that his bananas can be caught with proper timing. If you Glide Toss towards and then throw, you can close the gap quickly and throw instantly.

Death (XIII)

Smash Rookie
I'm personally all for the name Wave-Toss. It's catchy, and it's only two syllables so it rolls off the tongue easy. That pretty much defeats all other suggestions except for Glide-Toss though.
The "glide" in question mostly resembles a Wave-Dash anyway, so the name "wave" feels familiar. And not to sound corny, but wave just sounds cooler than glide in my opinion. I mean, it's got a W! And a V!

Proven

Smash Apprentice
I can't help but keep thinking that this isn't really an advanced tech, as shield tossing will be the main way to throw away non-throwable items (beam sabers, lip's stick, etc.) using the Wii remote by itself, since it's easier to reach the B button and press 2 rather than press the minus button. Combine that with the fact that you still have to hit a direction to aim the throw and not just do a neutral toss backwards, I still don't feel that this is an "advanced tech".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom