• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neumont University Smash Bros Tournament [Melee... - November 16th, 2013 - Salt Lake City, Utah

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
for those with parking concerns, I suggest parking at the salt lake city intermodal station, aka salt lake central station, aka salt lake greyhound station
you can take *any* trax line out of the station and it's entirely in the free fare zone from the station -> neumont, and it's only a 9 minute transit with a 1-2 minute walk when you get off.

I'm 95% sure there is free public parking at the station but Iw ill call UTA when I wake up tomorrow and confirm for sure and post here
and if you're bringing a setup, I'll be at the venue by 11:15-11:20 and you can just call me and let me know you're out front, I'll carry your setup in and you can then go park and take the trax back
i have 300 minutes a month so please just text me, my number is 801-259-5688 [new phone btw so those of you that had my old 217 area code number you can delete that]
I'll likely be one of the later persons leaving so you can drive back and I'll help you load back up in your car too (unless I leave early, can't know for sure yet)

We'll give you some people to help out

My crew might actually be taking the train there... but if we do drive, i'll make sure to look at that

Awwww snaps.... we got a crew

crashman360

Smash Rookie
hey just saying i'll be bringing a setup so you can say thank you in advance :p

And if you see this guy

my names Tanner, but
feel free to call me
White thunder,
DJ T-Bag.
or anything really.
i don't really care. any of those i'll know your talking to me though lol.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
alright so I called UTA and found a pretty useful online resource, the closest place with guaranteed free parking (that's at a trax stop) is the ballpark trax station at
1300 South 180 West
edit- if you go to this stop you are NOT in the free fare zone and you MUST buy a trax ticket (or risk a 300 dollar fine minimum i believe...just support public transit and buy a ticket :bluejump:)

there *is* parking at the salt lake central station but it's extremely limited so there may be room for 1-2 cars, or none at all.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
i had a blast and it was great to see so many new faces
ggs to everybody, bummer I couldn't stay longer and had to leave so abruptly
shoutouts to everybody who came and to the TOs/organizers
shoutouts to LARPing

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Thanks to everyone who showed up! I'll be posting results and shout outs tomorrow as i'm really tired right now. I got up at 8am and did this tournament on 4 hours of sleep so i'll do everything tomorrow.

THANKS AGAIN!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Next time, I would suggest saying that the house takes a cut out of the pot beforehand, and that came as a surprise when it came time to hand out the cash prize. Regardless, that's quite the opposite of the $20 pot bonus that was advertised in the first post.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Next time, I would suggest saying that the house takes a cut out of the pot beforehand, and that came as a surprise when it came time to hand out the cash prize. Regardless, that's quite the opposite of the $20 pot bonus that was advertised in the first post.
Well... the $20 was just guaranteed prize and yes we should have said that we were going to keep some of the pot... sorry about that.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
It's absolutely pointless to say there will be a guaranteed $20 pot unless it's meant as a pot bonus, since four entrants already means there's $20 in the pot. With you guys taking 40% of the pot, that simply means the entry needs to reach 7 or more before starting the tournament for it to happen. So something as trivial as that shouldn't really be advertised unless it is meant as a pot bonus.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
We don't have anything planned until next quarter :(

But I'm thinking about starting a club and maybe we can have a fest every two weeks or something. I could even talk to the school and see what are the rules for bringing people over during school hours. I was thinking if any one of you wanted to you could show up during lunch 12:00pm - 1:00pm since that's when most of us are playing, but we still play throughout the day just most of us play during that time. I know we're allowed to bring people in but there are limits.

In regards to hosting another tourney... this was our first "big" smash tournament in a long time and we're just taking things slow before we decide to do something like monthlies. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up doing monthlies because we were very happy with this tourney and we loved you guys being over here. We're definitely doing another tourney but it's going to be a little while.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
We don't have anything planned until next quarter :(

But I'm thinking about starting a club and maybe we can have a fest every two weeks or something. I could even talk to the school and see what are the rules for bringing people over during school hours. I was thinking if any one of you wanted to you could show up during lunch 12:00pm - 1:00pm since that's when most of us are playing, but we still play throughout the day just most of us play during that time. I know we're allowed to bring people in but there are limits.

In regards to hosting another tourney... this was our first "big" smash tournament in a long time and we're just taking things slow before we decide to do something like monthlies. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up doing monthlies because we were very happy with this tourney and we loved you guys being over here. We're definitely doing another tourney but it's going to be a little while.

siiiiiiick

Monthlies would be ideal, and taking the train there on a Saturday is extremely feasible for my whole crew. Besides, the more often they are, the better turnouts you guys will most likely get.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
we could easily shift more focus onto the kafeneio monthlies that already exist. deathkingsquarez always gets the kafe for brawl, we could easily run melee there if we had 1. setups and 2. interested players
those are always the 3rd saturday of the month and the venue is extremely close to trax

in fact, the third saturday would be this saturday. is there enough interest to have melee? let us know guys. I'm willing to do some networking/organizing work if there's a community strong enough to support it

Jekyll

Smash Ace
My weekend plans are kinda murky, but at the very least I can show up for a few hours and play friendlies in the afternoon.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Woots... finally got the results... here they are:

Melee Singles:
1st: Tomacawk
2nd: Jekyll
3rd: Perfect Chaos
4th: Cubey
5th: Ebo, Baby
7th: mikecb, Jacob
9th: Roguay, Crash, the omen, Superw0rri0
13th: Amm0, 2 johns, Steel, Monks