• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness discussion

Sangoku

Smash Master
This is what happens when Nangoku tries to initiate an upb combo. Lol jk. I feel Nangoku, such as other Ness players often tries to tech chase instead of comboing, maybe due to it being often more efficient.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I just found out that if you djc fair fast enough, it will autocancel. I'm pretty sure that's how nangoku djc rushes.

Crazy how complicated this game can get.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
^^^ Im pretty sure that isn't the case.
I was messing around with DJCs the other day, but I will check again.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
You gotta slide pretty quick. I recommend arpeggiating some jazz scales on the piano as warmup.

If you land before the hitbox comes out, it will autocancel.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I can DJC basically as fast as possible (just a flash with Ness not moving at all) and when I do it horizontally, I feel like it lags a bit more than when Z cancel it.

edit: I just checked again and I am pretty sure there is no auto canceling + even if there was Z canceling decreases your penalty for error.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Its either going to produce fair lag, or its not. Its not going to "lag a bit more." If its not the full fair lag, then its autocancelling I'm pretty sure.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
weedwack is correct (about the auto-cancel. I have no idea if it is in fact before hitbox comes out or w/e).
But I'd trust that technique as much as I trust my KB plat drop uair.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
How do you KB players DJC?

2 Cs?
Up then C?
C then Up?

and if two Cs, please tell me what keys on the KB you use. I think my lack of consistency may have to do with me pressing C then Up.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
how do controller players DJC? I've been mashing the same c button twice since I started DJCing. Comes out as fast as I'd need it to though.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I just found out that if you djc fair fast enough, it will autocancel. I'm pretty sure that's how nangoku djc rushes.

Crazy how complicated this game can get.
I think most aerials in this game have at least a few frames of autocancel if not all of them so yeah Nangoku probably fairs.

Also you can technically land with a DJC with no aerial, like with Yoshi, but with Ness that **** has to be like frame perfect so yeah Nangoku probably fairs.

How do you KB players DJC?

2 Cs?
Up then C?
C then Up?

and if two Cs, please tell me what keys on the KB you use. I think my lack of consistency may have to do with me pressing C then Up.
2 different c buttons. [ and then p. lol. (my C button layout is 0op[). Ring finger on [ and middle on p.

That's the only thing I ever use any button for C other than down (p) other than color changes, but yeah.

I'm not that consistent at Ness DJC's though (for the record, I use p twice for Yoshi)

I used to do two p's for Ness too but after a while I decided it was too slow for certain things. Would not recommend same button twice.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Oh, so you use your left hand for the directions.
Is your C button layout adjacent to the other buttons? -- Well, if it won't make you die of boredom, could you show me your full input layout? printscreen or sth.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Concerning the cancelling thing:
If you double jump perfectly as fast as possible while holding away, you'll "double jump no jump". Not possible forward (unlike Yoshi). If you fair (or any aerial) as fast as possible, there'll be no lag at all (ie same as if you double jumped backwards). Haven't looked at the frame window for that.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
your config is pretty close to mine, except you short hop with the same hand as you control the characters. and I have no idea how you work that out.

and nice music in that channel.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Oh thanks, the organized music tab is probably update twice as much as the video section

When I want to shorthop, I move my finger slightly to he right or left and the end/ctl/shift keys are right next to the up/down/left/right arrows

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'd imagine that having to move your index finger from to Ctrl and then hit again (for, say, a Fair) is a bit messy.

I sacrificed my taunt button to put a second C near my right hand, but Ness's aerials that are practically on the ground are still hard to control. (I press F E S A for a DJC Nair z-canceled, and I almost get lost in doing this lol)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i just don't shorthop while djcing, all my djcs are full hops but real fast fullhops. I only use the c-buttons for colors/short hopping

clubbadubba

Smash Master
so here's some bull****:

ness's pk fire cancels out samus's fully charged neutral b, and creates the wall of flame.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Oh, so you use your left hand for the directions.
Is your C button layout adjacent to the other buttons? -- Well, if it won't make you die of boredom, could you show me your full input layout? printscreen or sth.
10 YEARS LATER

Mizuxe

Smash Cadet
Ness is pretty decent or even good if you learn how to use him well. Whenever I have friends over and we have a little tournament sorta typa thing, I always use Ness unless I get bored with him. Everybody says he sucks because they all suck with him. He's got great jumping and some nice moves to rack up your %. In 4-person fights, you can always go the side of everybody and just use PK thunder and shoot yourself right into somebody with about 60+%

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Ness is pretty decent or even good if you learn how to use him well. Whenever I have friends over and we have a little tournament sorta typa thing, I always use Ness unless I get bored with him. Everybody says he sucks because they all suck with him. He's got great jumping and some nice moves to rack up your %. In 4-person fights, you can always go the side of everybody and just use PK thunder and shoot yourself right into somebody with about 60+%
:happysheep:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
this is beautiful

Mizuxe

Smash Cadet
Mizuxe for top 32 at Apex 2014 (with pikachu)
Oh boy, I wish I could compete at Apex 2014 but I'm only average. I took time off of playing Smash Bros so that I could start running track again and that put me behind. Then again, I could just practice til I get good again. That would be pretty fun.

Mizuxe

Smash Cadet
His avatar represents his Ness main phase.

When he picks up Pikachu, he'll have evolved into Gyarados.

That.... That was so beautiful. When I do use Pikachu I guess you can say I use him better than I do with Ness. I just really enjoy using Ness. It kinda pisses some people off that I can get kills with him in general.

Vale

Smash Ace
Is there a Ness guide somewhere? I didn't find anything through my elaborate search method of putting "ness guide" into the searchbar.

I play 12-character battles with one of my friends, and Ness is one of my worst characters. So far, I've had success with something along the lines of dair - dair - djc & techchase dair - dair - dair - bair - edgeguard/spike dair, sometimes starting with a few utilts. Basically, I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to be doing, but am pretty sure there are some z2ds and basically everything on properly djc'ing that I'm missing. In the lack of a guide, would just watching videos be a good way to learn general tricks?

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Videos help a lot.

Throw is great against chars with bad recoveries
Dair is great against chars with slow techs
Fair chains are hard but viable against most of the cast. Memorize the % where you can start.
Dair onto platforms and grab is easy
Stay low and move fast.

Top Bottom