• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness discussion

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Ness vs. Samus is a fun match-up.

I'm dubious about how active this board will be, it feels like we've discussed every character for the most part before. I hope I get proved wrong though.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
But can learning to play Ness (J) well equate to learning how to play Ness(U) well?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I FOR ONE WILL NOT BANDWAGON AND SAY:

Ness is an ok character, predictable and lol djc canceling but none the less he's ok...and fun to use.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Ness is a great character. A smart player can use him, a smarter player can kill him easily. Pikachu is an auto loose.

But beyond that, where is the advice for ness players? "give up, stop trying, ness fails at life"?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Everyone in this board hates ness.

seriously.

I'm not saying that you should give up on playing him, you should just look somewhere else;or be known as the underdog.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Lol Ness doesn't suck, Keep is making fun of the people who say that...at least i think...seeing as his Ness is actually REALLY good...

but generally Ness does require more defensive play..as it's hard to approach...but he has crazy priority and a great spike that CAN come from a combo :o

Peek~

Smash Lord
Ness vs. Samus is a fun match-up.
I hate this matchup. Though I just did an awesome 3-hit bair chain recently
My vote for funnerestest Ness matchup is Ness vs Yoshi. DJC/Tech chasing EVERYWHERE

Ness is so hated by the community its so funny, just because most suck using him
Just watch japanese nesses to learn how ness is played
Doesn't help. There are no great Ness players + Jsmash is all camp/def whores

where is the advice for ness players? "give up, stop trying, ness fails at life"?
Ask away, I shall answer all

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
Lol wat. peek and keep?! Why is he posting with both accounts (or are they different pplz).

Also, Frog's ness is beast.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Ness' recovery is bad, but its not like we dont have top tiers with bad recovery's...fox and falcon...ahem...

The thing about Ness and NA is that no one has the patience to learn him...it is possible to chain Nairs --> Dair off the edge....which is BRUTAL btw...and this works on the whole cast i think? :o

L1ON

Smash Apprentice
I've never liked ness. I feel in the right hands he can pretty good but I've always felt that he has been overrated.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
But... they're both from vegas according to their profiles >.>
Vegas has more then 1 person :p

The Ips are different though thats all i can tell you

I've never liked ness. I feel in the right hands he can pretty good but I've always felt that he has been overrated.

he might have been a bit overrated before...now he is very underrated...its like either one extreme or the other :p

Peek~

Smash Lord
Peek and Keep are brothers.

Both live in vegas, both play smash, both liek mudkipz
You dont know me

He was overrated last tier list.
I'll admit though he does get alot of hate, at least its not the kind of hate kirby gets though

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
lol yeah, when you beat people with ness its like "wtf how" not "omg dun play ness"

It was either Peek or Frog who got me caught in a Nairx3-> Dair ...it was the sexiest ness thing i ever seen :p

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ness was definitely overrated on the old tier list (lol 3rd best) but now hes underrated

Who said that you had to approach with Ness. My advice is try to let the other approach. He is a defensive character with probably the best techchasing capacity. You have to play on the floor mostly. His utilt is gay, only beaten by kirby's. And it can lead to a zero-death combo depending on the stage situation. Also his uair has good priority. but of course he can be seriously wrecked by his worst matchups, but you know, this happens with a lot of chars

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Ness was definitely overrated on the old tier list (lol 3rd best) but now hes underrated

Who said that you had to approach with Ness. My advice is try to let the other approach. He is a defensive character with probably the best techchasing capacity. You have to play on the floor mostly. His utilt is gay, only beaten by kirby's. And it can lead to a zero-death combo depending on the stage situation. Also his uair has good priority. but of course he can be seriously wrecked by his worst matchups, but you know, this happens with a lot of chars
Uh... how can ness 0-death from an utilt? Maybe at low percents on a heavy near an edge ... but definitely not in general and not against light characters.

Ness's general combo ability is not very good. Fair chains are good but don't have good finishers besides dair (which is situational), and they don't chain for that long against heavies (they will fall) or lighties (they will fly too far away).

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yeah, but my point is Ness does have some function combos...and has a spike and his Uair as finishers (Uair is kinda weak for a finisher but)

Peek is VERY good at using his Yo-Yo as a effective finisher ...or to simply send you at an odd angle, making it easier for ness to edge guard you

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yoyo is a great edgeguarder if you master it. He has two range options (forwards and backwards) and can edgeguard chars with the higher range/tricky hitbox up+b like DK, Link, Falcon, Mario, Luigi or also Samus.
And ness throw is fairly powerful in both fthrow and back throw. gotta abuse them and then edgeguard

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
dont think of a throw so much as a finisher because normally it isnt so easy to combo into...but i have seen it done...WITH NESS so you have a good point :o

never spam grabs... you'll be punished (that doesn't mean you cant **** link at 20% with samus Bthrow lol)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Fixed, i meant abuse throws. It sends the opponent more far away than a lot of his moves and stuff like his fsmash and his fair are way worse at higher %

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I'd say ness's strength comes from his change up in attack. His strong moves are limited, so an aggressive Ness will bleed out his moves and strategy before the match is done. The more complex the player, the better the Ness will be.

His DJC counts for a good potion of his moves, but he has set-ups like U-tilt and triple-tap A that gives some degree of power on the ground. I don't believe in his grab too much any more, but its power is enormous when people don't realize the value of a combo and all the damage they could be doing.

I agree with Suri and would say Ness on principle is defensive. That his strength comes from flanking the opponent right before they strike, or closing off the gap quicker then the opponent can react. That Ness's game relys on finding openings in the opponent's game instead of pushing situations, or controlling ground.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the heck is triple tap A...and if it's the jab combo I don't see what combos are coming from that, aside from against a wall, where everything combos anyway

Also, Ness grabbing and edgeguarding is basically always an effective strategy, no matter what anyone says, his edgeguarding is really good...

You're talking about Ness like he's an rts faction o.o

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
If they run at you with a low %, and you start the Jab combo....... (w/e same diff to me), you can catch them in it, it leads to a grab or a DJC starter. Personally I like the U-tilt..... but against characters that can charge in like C.falc, DK, or a bad mario player, the triple hit is a nice little tack on to the start of a combo. I don't expect it to be used on a pikachu or a kirby..... but who would want to play ness against a pikachu in the first place....... I've never had fun with those matches.

Top Bottom