• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
1-The opposite of where Snake is going. If he's retreating DI away, if he's going forward then DI behind him.

2-A move stales when its hitbox touches a hurtbox. Meaning shield doesn't count but things like the baloon in smashville or the statues in castle siege do.

3-There's a thread about dash dancing ?
1. is that for dair too?

2. kthanx. Now... when can a stale move reset?

3. I'm not even sure dash dancing is the thing im thinking of. I'm taking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDvA0f_cjw it starts at :34 I'm not sure its the same thing tho im pretty sure there is a thread about it, i just don't know the name of it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
3. I'm not even sure dash dancing is the thing im thinking of. I'm taking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDvA0f_cjw it starts at :34 I'm not sure its the same thing tho im pretty sure there is a thread about it, i just don't know the name of it.
yeah that's not dashdancing, that's craqwalking or doopwalking or some other stupid-sounding name
it's something like..... do a move and hold down the attack button during it so that your attack button is held down but you're just standing not attacking. Then walk forward with the control stick, but use the C-stick to tap upwards-and-slightly-to-the-left (if you're walking right). And you get the pivot-boost as you walk, and furthermore you look ********.

Dashdancing is just mashing the control-stick back and forth. The first few frames of a run are an "initial dash" and during this time, slamming the stick in the opposite direction will immediately invert your dash, so you'll quickly change direction. But later on in a run (past the inital-dash frames) if you turn around, your character will do a slow turning-around animation instead of the instantaneous dashdance pivot. In Brawl, dashdancing gives you a lot of chances of tripping (each initial-dash may trip).

infomon

Smash Scientist
yes. lots; as many as you can make up for it :)

often as a mindgame; they can't tell if you're approaching or not, so they might do something preemptively. Also, the dashdance can be cancelled with an Fsmash, whereas a full run cannot.

Some ppl (ex. Snake) use it when they do a techchasey-Dthrow. Snake Dthrows you, then dashdances a bit to fake out the direction you might try to roll in; looks like he's going one way, so you roll the otherway, and instantly he's on top of you.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
i dont think anything really can 100% guarantee a shield poke. since the opponent can shift his shield at his leisure.
BUT, in the case where even the shifted shield doesn't cover the top of his body/head.
I mean, is the contact of a lingering hitbox with a "non shield covered" body part enough to create a shield poke ?

Also thanks for the OOS info.

@Icampoy8 : dashdancing can be used as a spacing tool, but it's only relevant for characters with long initial dash like Falcon.
On the other question :
the stale moves list is reset when you lose a stock. But you can refresh it by hitting with simple moves like jab or pummel. Here are some threads that you'd want to read for further info.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186915
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4158733

rchau

Smash Cadet
can anyone explain to me how to do snake's quick grenade toss? i can't get it down for some reason, or im doing it wrong.

clp

Smash Rookie
is there anyway to waveland with meta knight without using the glide?

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
I was at a local tournament recently and some people there have really mad skills.
I mean I don't expect to ever beat any of them.
Well I have a couple of questions based on what they have done in the tournament.
What's the best tactic to defeating the Diddy Kong Banana peel - pop gun strategy?
Also, How do you preform this strategy?
What is the best strategy for defeating Marth?
How do you prevent Ice Climbers chain grab from happening?
How do you do Ice Climbers infinite Chain grab?
What's the best Meta Knight strategy?
Just a few questions, I practice with basically all the characters so any character recommendation I'll take.
Sorry for asking so many questions. :|

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
What's the best tactic to defeating the Diddy Kong Banana peel - pop gun strategy?
Also, How do you preform this strategy?
No clue what you're referring to. Diddy Kong's entire metagame revolves around bananas, so that could mean anything. The pop gun is just a mediocre projectile. If you're asking how to avoid getting ***** by bananas, depends on what character you use. Avoid the ground, learn to instant-throw. Can you be more specific?

What is the best strategy for defeating Marth?
With which character?
Well, look up the match up on your character boards. All I can say is... camp him if you can, avoid the sword. :bee:

How do you do Ice Climbers infinite Chain grab?
Don't get grabbed. Be extremely careful. They have no grab set ups, and a pitiful grab range. So get out of their grab range, kill Nana, and now you don't have to worry about it for another stock.

What's the best Meta Knight strategy?
Check the MK boards for techniques/strategies. Unless you want an answer like "camp." If that's the case... camp.

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
No clue what you're referring to. Diddy Kong's entire metagame revolves around bananas, so that could mean anything. The pop gun is just a mediocre projectile. If you're asking how to avoid getting ***** by bananas, depends on what character you use. Avoid the ground, learn to instant-throw. Can you be more specific?

With which character?
Well, look up the match up on your character boards. All I can say is... camp him if you can, avoid the sword. :bee:

Don't get grabbed. Be extremely careful. They have no grab set ups, and a pitiful grab range. So get out of their grab range, kill Nana, and now you don't have to worry about it for another stock.

Check the MK boards for techniques/strategies. Unless you want an answer like "camp." If that's the case... camp.
Sorry, I'm honestly not up to date with SSBB
And so now I have another question
What is camping?
By the banana peel - pop gun strategy I mean
The strategy in where Diddy kong Throws out to banana's and spams you with his pop gun then you get in close and he attacks you with a smash attack or monkey flip or you slip and he attacks you with a charged smash attack. But I'm sure there's more to it. But that's all I really know and I don't really know how to get past it cause when I get in I keep on tripping over the stupid banana peels.
Thanks though for the other tips.
BTW probably any character for the how to beat character strategies.

~Lady Luck~

Smash Cadet
Washington (no, there's no shiny vampires here)
During Wi-Fi matches, I've seen a Lucario break his shield, then automatically recover by what appears to be a sudden jump as soon as he lands. I've also seen a Meta Knight prolong how long he disappears with his Down B move for an absurd amount of time. How do you do this? And is the automatic recovery trick I saw Lucario do only something that he can do?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
During Wi-Fi matches, I've seen a Lucario break his shield, then automatically recover by what appears to be a sudden jump as soon as he lands. I've also seen a Meta Knight prolong how long he disappears with his Down B move for an absurd amount of time. How do you do this? And is the automatic recovery trick I saw Lucario do only something that he can do?
I've never heard of that Lucario thing.

As for Meta Knight, that is IDC (Infinite Dimensional Cape). It's banned in most tournaments. You can do it by tapping up constantly on the C Stick immediately after pressing down B.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

With which character?

He asked "how to perform the ice climbers CG" and you replied with "Don't get grabbed."

What?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The Lucario stuff is probably this :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254009

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I know that Snake's grenades stale. I would assume ROBs Gyro also stales, as well as Peach's turnips, though I'm unsure. I don't think Diddy's banana's stale, as they are an actual item in the game. I don't think most items that regularly spawn stale.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Below are everything(not only items) from characters that stales:

Peach: Turnip and Toad(yes)
Wario: Motorcycle
Rob: Gyro
King DDD: Wadle Dees e Wadle Doos.
Olimar: Pikmins.
Charizard: Rock Smash.
Snake: Nades and Cypher.
Sonic: Spring.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Transcendent priority is the priority type where the hitbox passes through other hitboxes unphased. For example, lasers (Fox/Falco/Wolf) can't be destroyed by attacking them, whereas many other projectiles like fireballs (Mario/Luigi/Zelda/etc.) can.

Aerials in this game tend to have transcendent priority -- get two characters to fight with only their Bairs, and it's a matter of whose bair hits the opponent's hurtbox first. (An exception is Olimar's pikmin aerials, which will have their hitbox "cancelled" against an opponent hurtbox).

Ground moves tend to work different -- if two ground moves (ex. smash attacks) have their hitboxes collide, and the attacks deal within 10% damage of each other, then the hitboxes will clash (lose their hitbox against the defending character, and a blue-grey "clash bubble" appears), and the characters will be "interrupted" (ex. Link will really quickly put his sword away). If one hitbox would do more than 10% more damage than the other hitbox, the lesser hitbox gets clashed and the character is "interrupted" but the stronger hitbox continues following through with the attack (and cause damage if it eventually hits a hurtbox).

Some specials follow this "ground priority" mechanism as well. Some other specials only use this mechanism when they are used on the ground (ex. MK's tornado).

Now to answer your question: MK's ground priority is categorically different from everyone else; all of his ground moveset (except his dash-attack) has transcendent (aerial/laser) priority. His sword does not clash and cannot be interrupted; the only thing that can stop it is if his hurtbox gets hit, which is convenient considering how disjointed his attacks are.

Also note, though, that this means MK can't clash or interrupt opponent attacks with his sword; he has to avoid getting hit (dodge/shield). If Link Fsmashes a different character, they simply need to attack strong enough to be within 10% of it to be safe. MK can't do that (unless he can hit Link's hurtbox before he gets hit).

HTH!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
for the record, aerial priority is different from transcendant priority,

if marth tries to fair MKs tornado, the fair will clank and marth will get nadoed.

if MK tries to fair MKs nado, the fair will go through because MKs A moves will never clank with anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom