• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Who are the people to refer to if I would want frame data for a character that hasn't yet been retrieved (in particular, Samus?)

There isn't anyone on the Samus boards capable of obtaining the data, so I'm asking for someone else to do it (selfish request, but I want it done, lol.)

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
my friend was talking to me about a term called conditioning
can anyone explain to me this concept and how it can improve my style of gameplay? or just simply explain it with example (possibly relating to kirby if applicable) OR, give me a link to where it's even more in-depth discussed?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
IIRC conditioning is a form of manipulation/mindgames where you repeat a certain action to get the same reaction over and over.. then switch it up to punish the former reaction.. an example with Kirby would be this, lets say after every time you grab you F-throw>Uair>Grab. Then after your opponent adapts, you grab>reverse Utilt>bair... I don't really play Kirby so that may be a poor example, but thats the idea.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my friend was talking to me about a term called conditioning
can anyone explain to me this concept and how it can improve my style of gameplay? or just simply explain it with example (possibly relating to kirby if applicable) OR, give me a link to where it's even more in-depth discussed?
IIRC conditioning is a form of manipulation/mindgames where you repeat a certain action to get the same reaction over and over.. then switch it up to punish the former reaction.. an example with Kirby would be this, lets say after every time you grab you F-throw>Uair>Grab. Then after your opponent adapts, you grab>reverse Utilt>bair... I don't really play Kirby so that may be a poor example, but thats the idea.

I give you a much better example

1. you are kirby, you space your falling back airs very well, the opponent understands that when you are falling at a certain spacing you are going to bair, so he tries to perfect shield it. after a while you start to realise that whenever you do this hes going to stand still and perfect shield. so when hes at like 120, you go to that spacing where you usually bair, and you know hes going to try to do an attack out of his perfect shield. so instead of back airing, you do nothing, you land and when he tries to punish out of shield, you f smash him in the face for the kill.

see you conditioned him to shield and than attack, and than you changed your own actions to punish the reaction that you CONDITIONED him into doing.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, that's what my friend said

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice

I give you a much better example

1. you are kirby, you space your falling back airs very well, the opponent understands that when you are falling at a certain spacing you are going to bair, so he tries to perfect shield it. after a while you start to realise that whenever you do this hes going to stand still and perfect shield. so when hes at like 120, you go to that spacing where you usually bair, and you know hes going to try to do an attack out of his perfect shield. so instead of back airing, you do nothing, you land and when he tries to punish out of shield, you f smash him in the face for the kill.

see you conditioned him to shield and than attack, and than you changed your own actions to punish the reaction that you CONDITIONED him into doing.
this also helps, thanks, i feel like i have done this before once or twice, i just didn't know it was a term

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Could someone link me the thread where it has all this statistical data like grab range, and dodging frames etc? I can't seem to find it. :confused:

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
When I watch smash videos on youtube, at the end alot of the time it says "Game set!". I was wondering how you make a set I usually just do single games. (I know what a set is, I just don't know how to set it up)

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It means "Phase Alternating Line"; it's a system for denoting the coding system.

For Brawl, it's basically talking about the European versions of the game.

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
If you attack someones shield, does it go in the stale move bank?

Does MK's glide attack and shuttle loop glide attack register as the same thing in the stale move bank?

If a person is hit by the tornado, gets out of it, and gets hit by it again, does it register as two stale moves or just one for the whole move?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you attack someones shield, does it go in the stale move bank?

Does MK's glide attack and shuttle loop glide attack register as the same thing in the stale move bank?

If a person is hit by the tornado, gets out of it, and gets hit by it again, does it register as two stale moves or just one for the whole move?

1. no
2. i dont think so
3. only 1

SDR

Smash Rookie
What's the meaning of life?

* If your optimism *

* Love gives meaning to our lives – as do friendship, or art or faith in God. These are factors of true happiness, of inner peace, of feelings of harmony, allowing meaning to our
existence *

* If your pessimism *

* There is the cruelty of life, the pain, the evil, not to talk of death. They are the hidden tigers, ambushed and ready to attack the imprudent, to use an image present in the Buddhist Scriptures *

* But in reality, it's how you view life *

aznfreak13

Smash Cadet
I can't find the topic for controller port for SSBB. Do anyone mind telling me which port gives what ability or give me a direct link?

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Just to clear things up...
I read in a recent post (can't find it >_< ) that although using your shortest aerial is usually best to cancel momentum after being launched, air dodge actually starts sooner (12 frames? or 13?) I think Ankoku came up with that number? Anyway someone then showed a chart from AiB showing that for many characters, an airdodge actually IS the best choice, since the 13 frame earlier thingey helps it go under their fastest aerial.

Now I want to ask 2 things:
-Is this true about the airdodge starting 13 frames before your fastest aerial? I'm confused because if it is, many people have been doin' it wrong for ages, judging from videos.
-I saw on the TL boards that a Zair can cancel an airdodge! If this is true, wouldn't airdodge+instant Zair be the ultimate momentum cancel for Link, Toon Link, Samus and Lucas? Also I think this works for items throws, but I'm unsure whether you can throw an item as early as you can airdodge.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Just to clear things up...
I read in a recent post (can't find it >_< ) that although using your shortest aerial is usually best to cancel momentum after being launched, air dodge actually starts sooner
'tis true. Here's my [video demonstration].

I'm not sure how many frames an advantage it is, or if it even is a particular number of frames rather than something proportional to the knockback or w/e. But Ankoku's probably right, if it was in fact Ankoku.

Anyway someone then showed a chart from AiB showing that for many characters, an airdodge actually IS the best choice, since the 13 frame earlier thingey helps it go under their fastest aerial.
Keep in mind that the only point of airdodging is to escape hitstun, so that you can do something else -- like a Jump or Special. That's also the reason for using an aerial to escape hitstun -- except that the aerial itself can be fastfalled (airdodges can't). So IF you're going straight upwards you probably want to fastfall an aerial instead of airdodging, even if your aerial ends later. The exception is if you have a momentum-"braking" special move to use afterwards (ex. G&W's bucket), and you know you'll have the time to use it after your airdodge.

If you're more worried about the side killzone than the ceiling killzone, then yes you'd want to airdodge if it finishes earlier than your fastest aerial.

Now I want to ask 2 things:
-Is this true about the airdodge starting 13 frames before your fastest aerial? I'm confused because if it is, many people have been doin' it wrong for ages, judging from videos.
Many people have been doing lots of things wrong for ages :laugh: but double-check that they're using a character with an airdodge that ends earlier than their fastest aerial, AND that they weren't afraid of the ceiling killzone.

-I saw on the TL boards that a Zair can cancel an airdodge! If this is true, wouldn't airdodge+instant Zair be the ultimate momentum cancel for Link, Toon Link, Samus and Lucas?
It is true, Zair can cancel an airdodge. BUT, it is a terrible momentum-cancel; all of the Zairs way outlast the airdodges, as far as I can tell. It's useful if you were able to DI parallel to the ground and can actually catch the edge with the Zair, but that's it. You can't fastfall the Zair, either.

Also I think this works for items throws, but I'm unsure whether you can throw an item as early as you can airdodge.
Heh. It does work for item-throws. It doesn't seem like you can throw an item as early as you can airdodge; the throw button doesn't work. BUT, you can cancel the initial frames of the airdodge with an item throw. The item-throw is super-fast (faster than waiting out the airdodge). Like an airdodge, you can't fastfall it (but can fastfall after it's done), but it gets you out of hitstun super-early so you can use a momentum-cancelling Jump or Special, if you have one.

I brought this up in my [Item-Throw-cancelled-Airdodge Momentum-Cancelling thread], but nobody noticed or cared :(

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Hey so I have a question about SDI...

How exactly do you do it lol?

I always hear people saying stuff like "SDI G&Ws BAir", "SDI to get out of tornado", etc. I was under the impression that you make and hold an input on the analog stick (like hold up), then hit the C-stick in any direction, but make sure the C-stick comes back to center before you hit it again.

Is that correct, or have I been doing it completely wrong?

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Basically SDI is done with the analog stick, but you can add the c-stick for extra effect.
Holding it in some direction is Normal DI, which is used to change launch direction (only hold at the moment you are launched away).
To SDI you must input as many directions as fast as possible. To do this, you mash the analog between 3 corners, the middle one being the direction you want to escape to.
Add the C-stick by tapping it in the direction of escape, but releasing it every time before tapping again.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Ahh so you move the analog stick between the three corners too? Ok that makes sense, I'll definitely start practicing that.

Rekeah

Smash Apprentice
was corneria and green hill zone always banned since the first set of official rules came out? only asking cause a friend of mine said both stages were counter-picks at one point.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
was corneria and green hill zone always banned since the first set of official rules came out? only asking cause a friend of mine said both stages were counter-picks at one point.
No and No, they were legit counters back in the day.

Makes me feel old, I remember tournament matches from back in the day way before we considered that MK might be banworthy on those stages.

seven7xenon

Smash Rookie
Erm just a quick question. Does anybody know where I can find the 'weight classes' or weight tier' or w/e explaining which characters are heavier than which etc. Has there been a thread like this made? I have tried to find it but couldn't.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Errrr, weight doesn't really exist in Brawl.
In fact weight is a mix between :
-launch resistance and fall speed for the vertical weight (explaining why D3 is the heaviest vertically speaking)
-launch resistance and drift speed for horizontal weight (explaining why bowser the heaviest horizontally speaking)

M2K's list sums it up in a practical way, but if you want to see the data you can search for Amazing Ampharos' thread named "internal character mechanics values".

Question : I read in some threads that you can do things like jab or Utilt OOS, is it really possible ?
I thought that you could only OOS things that follow/cancel a jump.

Edit : more questions !
I just read the shirld poke thread and I wonder :
if my opponent is shielding in a way that the shield doesn't cover the top of his head, does FFing a sex kick from above him guarantee me a shield poke ?

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
Couple questions...

How do you DI out of snake's Nair and Dair?

When does a move become stale? ( I don't really know much 'bout this so can someone just give a link to this kind of stuff...)

Can someone give me a link the the thread about dash dancing?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
1-The opposite of where Snake is going. If he's retreating DI away, if he's going forward then DI behind him.

2-A move stales when its hitbox touches a hurtbox. Meaning shield doesn't count but things like the baloon in smashville or the statues in castle siege do.

3-There's a thread about dash dancing ?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Question : I read in some threads that you can do things like jab or Utilt OOS, is it really possible ?
I thought that you could only OOS things that follow/cancel a jump.

Edit : more questions !
I just read the shirld poke thread and I wonder :
if my opponent is shielding in a way that the shield doesn't cover the top of his head, does FFing a sex kick from above him guarantee me a shield poke ?
In brawl, you can do anymove out of shield, since theres only 7 frames of shield drop lag as opposed to like the 20-25 (?) that manually droping your shield in melee contained. you cna just let of of the shield button and do a move.

jump cancling moves out of shield (up b, up smash) bypasses those seven frames of lag but in many cases, its not necessary and doesnt really matter.

i dont think anything really can 100% guarantee a shield poke. since the opponent can shift his shield at his leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom