• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Math Help?

Kal

Smash Champion
I can certainly try, but I'm not certified in any accounting. The only knowledge I really have is on double-entry bookkeeping.

Kal

Smash Champion
I know what IFRS is, but I don't know if I can help you with your homework. I would say you should just go ahead and post your problem, and we can try and work through it. Maybe someone with a background in accounting will see this post and lend a hand.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well okay, here goes. (I primarily need help Instruction 2)

Big Brother Holdings, Inc. had the following investment portfolio accounted for using the fair value through other comprehensive income model at January 1, 2010:

Investment​
|
Quantity​
|
Cost Per Share​
|
Fair Value at Dec. 31, 2009​

Earl Corp. | 1,000 | $15.00 | $11.50
Josie Corp. | 900 | $20.00 | $16.50
Tinashe Corp. | 500 | $9.00 | $7.20

During 2010, the following transactions took place:

1) On March 1, Josie Corp. paid a $2 per share dividend
2) On April 30, Big Brother Holdings, Inc. sold 300 shares of Tinashe Corp. for $10 per share
3) On May 15, Big Brother Holdings, Inc. purchased 50 more Earl Corp. shares at $16 per share
4) At December 31, 2010, the shares had the following market prices per share: Earl Corp. $17; Josie Corp. $19; Tinashe Corp. $8

During 2011, the following transactions took place:

5) On February 1, Big Brother Holdings, Inc. sold the remaining Tinashe Corp. shares for $7 per share
6) On March 1, Josie Corp. paid a $2 per share dividend
7) On December 21, Earl Corp. declared a cash dividend of $3 per share to be paid in the next month
8) At December 31, 2011, the shares had the following market prices per share: Earl Corp. $19; and Josie Corp. $21.

Assume that Big Brother Holdings, Inc. follows IFRS and is permitted to use the fair value through other comprehensive income model with recycling.

Instructions:

1) Prepare journal entries to record each of the above transactions and year-end events

2) Prepare the relevant parts of Big Brother Holdings, Inc.'s 2011 and 2010 comparative balance sheets, income statements, statements of comprehensive income, and statements of changes in shareholders' equity (accumulated other comprehensive income portion) to show how the investments and related accounts are reported.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I'm working on some Initial Value problems right now, and I'm stuck on two problems:

y^(4)-8y"'+16y"=0
Using some λ stuff (I forgot what the procedure was called), I end up with:
λ^(4)-8λ^3+16λ^2 = 0
λ^2(λ^2-8λ+16) = 0
λ^2(λ-4)(λ-4) = 0
λ = 0 (repeated), 4 (repeated)

... I think this is right. But how will I write out the resulting homogen. equ.? I know that from previous repeated solutions, the form ends up being something like:

y = C_1*e^[ax] + C_2*xe^[ax] +... but having two repeated solutions? I dunno.

and the other problem:

y"'-9y"-y'+9y = 0
λ^3-9λ^2-λ+9 = 0
λ^2(λ-9)+(λ-9) = 0

Would this just be

λ = 9 (repeated) ??? So y = C_1*e^[9x] + C_2*xe^[9x] ? I'm having a brain fart with factoring polynomials here.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Hey guys, it's been a while and I hope this thread is still used.

Taking Calc this quarter at uni and we're doing sequences. I have problems like: "Determine if sequence a_n is convergent or divergent. If convergent, find limit." I can find limits, but it's the only way I know how to see if a sequence is either one of those. My instructor on the other hand seemed to be able to just say it straight out, like if:

a_n = (3^[n+2])/(7^n), he'd say that it was convergent, THEN finds the limit.

In other words, how can I determine if a sequence is divergent/convergent without finding the limit (yet)?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Did you solve your problem with that Sakurazaki or did you still need help with it?

I would usually try eyeball it first to see if it diverges, typically because its often easy to tell if a function will diverge. You can't always tell immediately that a sequence converges, you might have to do some simplification to it before its apparent.

[collapse="If it helps you out I suppose"]In my calc course for sequences/series usually the sequence would be divergent if it oscillates or blows up (exponent base > 1).

Usually when it converges there is a lot of simplifications you can do to either remove n or if n grows large a term goes to zero.

For your example a = 3^(n+2)/(7^n)

you can do 3^2 * (3^n)/(7^n) = 9*(3/7)^n

Since you know the exponent base here is less than 1 you know the term will tend to zero, hence it should converge to zero.[/collapse]

More formally, apply the ratio test.

If directly looking at the limit or applying the ratio test fail is inconclusive. You can try comparing a sequence with one you already know the behavior for and determine convergence or divergence from there.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Hey guys, it's been a while and I hope this thread is still used.

Taking Calc this quarter at uni and we're doing sequences. I have problems like: "Determine if sequence a_n is convergent or divergent. If convergent, find limit." I can find limits, but it's the only way I know how to see if a sequence is either one of those. My instructor on the other hand seemed to be able to just say it straight out, like if:

a_n = (3^[n+2])/(7^n), he'd say that it was convergent, THEN finds the limit.

In other words, how can I determine if a sequence is divergent/convergent without finding the limit (yet)?
There are a lot of tools for testing if a sequence is convergent without checking what it converges to, some of which I'd guess you would have encountered by now and some of which you'll likely see in future days. Based on the example you mentioned, though, it just sounds like a matter of the instructor very quickly recognizing how to tackle the problem (likely due to experience) and then explaining it afterwards. For example, he probably quickly sees that a_n can be rewritten as a constant multiple of (3/7)^n, and it's a fact that for a real number r such that |r|<1, the limit as n goes to infinity of r^n is 0; I doubt he's using any technology you hadn't learned yet to tell that it's convergent beforehand, although like I said earlier, there are indeed quite a few ways of judging convergence without finding the actual limit of the sequence.

Okay, I have been having issues with determining this question.

--X is a random variable with a exponential distribution of a parameter 1. The objective is to determine the probability density function for (x-1)^2
My thoughts were to apply an approach form the cumulative distribution function since it uniquely defines a probability density. Although, I am not sure if I can do that.

Top Bottom