• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Bowser's posture

UltraSmashBro721

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone! I may be in need of assistance involving Bowser's joints.

You see, I am trying to at least get Bowser to stand upright like he does in Smash 4 (if not entirely changing him to greater resemble his N64-era CGI model appearance). The problem is that, even with me finding the right joints and editing their attributes in Melee Toolkit, the ISO just doesn't want to follow the changes I made (I saved the changes before exiting out of the program, by the way).

I already made some changes to the scale of certain joints on his feet, to better resemble what I am going for, and the game accepts those changes. NOTE: The following file I edited is PlKpNr.dat.

When I was working on the joints for his shielding pose within the PlKp.dat file to get somewhere with what I wanted, I was able to adjust the joints' rotation and translation just fine.

Oh, and here is a layout of the file I was working with for the latter pose, as well as what I am ultimately trying to do for Bowser.

But when it comes to the attributes of the joints that make Bowser hunched over, I could put an astronomical number in and it would not yield any results. I am thinking it could be that only the attributes that are not constantly changing during animations are the only ones I can edit. I am not entirely sure, though.

I have been at this relentlessly for a couple days with hardly any luck. Any help would greatly be appreciated! :)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Well...I know this might not be what you want to hear, but if you made Bowser stand upright during his shield animation, then you're probably the most knowledgeable on the subject.

Good work, though. I don't really have anything to say that is helpful....

Last edited:

UltraSmashBro721

Smash Rookie
I see. Well, this is only a start! I'm sure something like what I'm trying to accomplish might be easier in the future the further Melee hacking advances, but in the mean time I will press forward as much as I can!

Thanks for replying, Achilles! I will ask, though: If I discover more about this topic at a later date, would I be allowed to bump this topic instead of creating a new one?

UltraSmashBro721

Smash Rookie
Are you editing the PlKbNr file or the PlKb file?
At first, I was editing the PlKp file thinking that was the real one I needed to edit. However, after discovering that it only covered the shielding pose, I switched to the PlKpNr file and have been editing that one ever since.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
At first, I was editing the PlKp file thinking that was the real one I needed to edit. However, after discovering that it only covered the shielding pose, I switched to the PlKpNr file and have been editing that one ever since.
Its a bit more complicated than that. The PlKb file might have a joint matanim section or not. In it are certain animations. Shielding might be universally in each Pl file. The PlKb file might also contain like 5 different bone sets so keep looking around it for certain animations. I think the name of the animations if contains are in the root section.

Top Bottom