• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
So someone has made a list of Namco franchises right? The ones that would be represented in Smash.

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man
Dig Dug (Taizo Hori is in Namco x Capcom)

come to think of it Namco x Capcom would be an excellent guide for who we can expect in SSB4.
The Legend of Valkyrie
Tower of Druaga
Klonoa
maybe Shadow Land

That's basically it.
There's also Toby Masuyo from Baraduke, who is Taizo's ex-wife, and a Driller universe character.

This guy seems like SSB material.

But we know that..
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man
..are definitely getting at least 1 rep each. Tekken is probably Heihachi seeing as Heihachi is constantly the Tekken rep for some reason.
To believe I am the only one who believes that each Namco franchise needs to be in with a rep.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This isn't Super Namco Bros.

Sakurai doesn't like adding 3rd parties willy-nilly, but yeah, sure, let's have a rep from each Namco franchise in a game primarily about Nintendo. He'd definitely be all for that.

Wow.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
u knw i'd actually really enjoy a Namco Bandai Smash clone. they have a lot of franchises that would easily fill out a solid roster. but no do not expect anymore than maybe 2, and even that's being generous, series getting into this smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All these requests for multiple Namco characters seem to be getting to me. ;)

But seriously, people shouldn't expect more than one.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well of course it would get off-balance; point is third party characters should be present but the Nintendo characters have to be an overwhelming majority.

And not because Namco is helping on the game is the reason there should be lots of Namco characters. But well a personal theory of deservement to be in Smash, is that third party character should have met Nintendo characters before.

Soul Calibur was the first fighting franchise Nintendo xOvered with, and Smash is a "fighting" game so... but PacMan already raced against Mario... So if 2 Namco reps get in, they would have to be PacMan and someone from SC; which would help a lot if it is Yoshimitsu so he can cover 2 franchises. A problem with Tekken is that they really never meet anyone fron Nintendo in the Tag 2 game; but rather use items and costumes so maybe it is not a big priority to have someone directly from Tekken.

Why is the Tales franchise even considered? Even before the Tales team was chosen to work on this. No way Kos-Mos would get in, maybe if she had actually remained with Monolith, but she is Namco property, and it seems she has no direct relation with the Xenoblade game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No 3rd party character ever "deserves" to be in a Nintendo crossover title.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is the Tales franchise even considered? Even before the Tales team was chosen to work on this. No way Kos-Mos would get in, maybe if she had actually remained with Monolith, but she is Namco property, and it seems she has no direct relation with the Xenoblade game.
Wait a minute.

You don't happen to think that Kos-Mos is a Tales character, do you?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i think he was more or less just mentioning Kos-Mos and didnt segway it very well. but i agree with him, there's no way Kos-Mos is gonna b in Smash

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And not because Namco is helping on the game is the reason there should be lots of Namco characters. But well a personal theory of deservement to be in Smash, is that third party character should have met Nintendo characters before.

Soul Calibur was the first fighting franchise Nintendo xOvered with, and Smash is a "fighting" game so... but PacMan already raced against Mario... So if 2 Namco reps get in, they would have to be PacMan and someone from SC; which would help a lot if it is Yoshimitsu so he can cover 2 franchises. A problem with Tekken is that they really never meet anyone fron Nintendo in the Tag 2 game; but rather use items and costumes so maybe it is not a big priority to have someone directly from Tekken.
Thank god your "personal theory" doesn't coincide with Sakurai's mentality. Otherwise we could have a few dozen (yes, dozen) characters that would "deserve" to be included. Plus, even though there were Nintendo references in the Twin Snakes, Snake had never met a Nintendo character previously. As of yet, Mega Man hasn't either. I guess Mega Man doesn't deserve inclusion... but some snowboarder from SSX does.

Because Tales is probably Namco's most popular series atm in Japan, characters such as Lloyd have a fairly strong connection to Nintendo, and Tales producers are working on the game.

And people might like to see her, but no one is (or at least no one should be) seriously expecting to see KOS-MOS.

No 3rd party character ever "deserves" to be in a Nintendo crossover title.
[collapse=Guh Huh]
[/collapse]

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Why is the Tales franchise even considered?
- because Japan
- because it's an JRPG and therefore massively popular in Japan
- because SSB is overwhelmingly Japan-oriented
- because SSB has Fire Emblem characters. As in more than one.
- because Tales has real time action oriented battles, visually in the realm of fighting games or beatemups
- because it has some history with Nintendo. Tales of Graces is originally a Wii game and was ported to PS3 a year later. Tales of Symphonia is originally a Gamecube game and is in fact Gamecube exclusive in the west. There are also apparently two Tales titles for DS.
- The first Tales game was on SNES. (I had no idea of this until I looked it up just now. But that's incredible.)

For the record I haven't played a single Tales game, but for Sophie I would play them all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
- because Japan
- because it's an JRPG and therefore massively popular in Japan
- because Tales has real time action oriented battles, visually in the realm of fighting games or beatemups
- because it has some history with Nintendo. Tales of Graces is originally a Wii game and was ported to PS3 a year later. Tales of Symphonia is originally a Gamecube game and is in fact Gamecube exclusive in the west. There are also apparently two Tales titles for DS.
- The first Tales game was on SNES. (I had no idea of this until I looked it up just now. But that's incredible.)

For the record I haven't played a single Tales game, but for Sophie I would play them all.
Most of these are pretty bad reasons. It boils down to popularity, ties to Nintendo, and the Tales staff working on Smash.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Thank god your "personal theory" doesn't coincide with Sakurai's mentality. Otherwise we could have a few dozen (yes, dozen) characters that would "deserve" to be included. Plus, even though there were Nintendo references in the Twin Snakes, Snake had never met a Nintendo character previously. As of yet, Mega Man hasn't either. I guess Mega Man doesn't deserve inclusion... but some snowboarder from SSX does.[/collapse]
Like I said, it is a personal theory; not a fact.

i think he was more or less just mentioning Kos-Mos and didnt segway it very well. but i agree with him, there's no way Kos-Mos is gonna b in Smash
Yeah, I should had been more specific but I placed both franchises in the same line. It should had been like this:

"Why is the Tales franchise even considered? Even before the Tales team was chosen to work on this.

No way Kos-Mos would get in, maybe if she had actually remained with Monolith, but she is Namco property, and it seems she has no direct relation with the Xenoblade game."

Now I remember that in Japan they want a Tales character and about Kos-Mos, well it comes from the theory that now that Monolith is with Nintendo, and that Xenoblade is "related" to the Xenogears saga; that Kos-Mos should easily get in as a second party when she is not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like I said, it is a personal theory; not a fact.
Sakurai gave the reasoning for adding Snake and Sonic, one was a request and one was popularity. Neither were because they had or hadn't met a Nintendo character before. Mega Man has a high chance of being added yet never shared a game with a Nintendo character, and Pac-Man's potential inclusion won't hinge on the fact he went karting with Mario. You should ditch that theory.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am sorry, but I am not going to ditch the crossover theory. And again it is not a requirement to be in Smash, just that if a third party character has met a Nintendo character previously, it should help them to get into Smash easily. No way I am against Mega Man being in Smash, as heck maybe we will end up getting a third party character who never ever met a Nintendo character game-inside and perhaps someone from SSX might get in if EA wants someone in, but people hardly think of a rep from EA.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am telling you, best bets on 3rd party characters are:

Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pac-Man

They will be the 4, IMO and are probably the four most deserving.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I am sorry, but I am not going to ditch the crossover theory. And again it is not a requirement to be in Smash, just that if a third party character has met a Nintendo character previously, it should help them to get into Smash easily. No way I am against Mega Man being in Smash, as heck maybe we will end up getting a third party character who never ever met a Nintendo character game-inside and perhaps someone from SSX might get in if EA wants someone in, but people hardly think of a rep from EA.
Normally theories require at least a hint of evidence, but oh well.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Me mentioning Kos-Mos had nothing to do with Xenoblade chronicles nor any Xenosaga series relation to Nintendo. She will get in simply because she's Kos-Mos. (not to mention she was in 2 or 3 crossover games already)

edit: Mega Man is definitely not getting in. Anyone who isn't Nintendo, Namco, or Sega owned definitely has no chance since they have to complete against Namco and Sonic series. (and why would Sakurai go out of his way to acquire characters from third parties when he already has access to so many)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Me mentioning Kos-Mos had nothing to do with Xenoblade chronicles nor any Xenosaga series relation to Nintendo. She will get in simply because she's Kos-Mos. (not to mention she was in 2 or 3 crossover games already)

edit: Mega Man is definitely not getting in. Anyone who isn't Nintendo, Namco, or Sega owned definitely has no chance since they have to complete against Namco and Sonic series. (and why would Sakurai go out of his way to acquire characters from third parties when he already has access to so many)
You're a terrible troll. You know that?

Besides what's your explanation for this guy?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

My goodness. What did I just read? I am horrified to learn that stupidity of such epic proportions exists in the 21st century.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

You're going to have to step up your game when the master trolls come out post-E3. ;)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My goodness. What did I just read? I am horrified to learn that stupidity of such epic proportions exists in the 21st century.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Though I'm 90% sure he's trolling.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
You're a terrible troll. You know that?

Besides what's your explanation for this guy?
Brawl is not SSB4. This time around they're collaborating with Namco Bandai. As such they'd be crazy not to milk that for all it's worth.

And Capcom, well they're in a confused state right now. Megaman Powered Up isn't on PSN in the west even though Maverick Hunter X is, and for MM's anniversary they made Xover which features no existing MM as the playable character and instead uses an all new made-up one. They'd probably rather not even have Mega Man in SSB4 until they decide where they eff they're going with the Mega Man franchise. I can honestly see them fearing that putting MM in SSB4 would force them to commit to the classic series (and in SSB4's art style) when they might have preferred something else.

And we had no reason to expect MM to begin with except speculation. People here say MM is the new Sonic, but keep in mind, Mega Man is not in any Mario Olympics games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Brawl is not SSB4. This time around they're collaborating with Namco Bandai. As such they'd be crazy not to milk that for all it's worth.

And Capcom, well they're in a confused state right now. Megaman Powered Up isn't on PSN in the west even though Maverick Hunter X is, and for MM's anniversary they made Xover which features no existing MM as the playable character and instead uses an all new made-up one. They'd probably rather not even have Mega Man in SSB4 until they decide where they eff they're going with the Mega Man franchise. I can honestly see them fearing that putting MM in SSB4 would force them to commit to the classic series (and in SSB4's art style) when they might have preferred something else.

And we had no reason to expect MM to begin with except speculation. People here say MM is the new Sonic, but keep in mind, Mega Man is not in any Mario Olympics games.
Lol. You're funny. Stop trying kid.

Brawl will be the base on what SSB4 will be based on. That's how it worked for every SSB to date.

Why wouldn't Capcom want Megaman to be in SSB? They like money. Remember Marvel Vs Capcom? It didn't restrict them to one Megaman series. Heck we've had three different Megaman series represented in that game. That logic is faulty.

Your point? He's still the most requested third party and most requested in general. Sonic was still the most requested character before the Olympic games were announced. It didn't do much for his popularity.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Kindly explain these points. Thank you.
Jigglypuff. Fire Emblem. Ness. Lucas. I mean really.. LUCAS.
Smash Bros is "*****slap America: The Game"
"Newcomer: someone you never heard of! Practically a pop culture icon here in Japan tho... Anyway here you go. Wooohooo Smash Bros"

As for Fire Emblem, it's more of a Japanese thing than a west thing. I'm inclined to guess that most of the impressionable young kiddies who played never heard of Fire Emblem and probably still don't know what it is despite having used Marth/Ike/Roy. Nintendo even dumbed down the difficulty of a GBA Fire Emblem game in USA because they thought we couldn't handle it otherwise.

Tales is a japanese JRPG from Japan, therefore is massively popular and will just cruise right into its secured spot for SSB4. You think I'm trolling? Fair enough. But if I turn out to be right...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Final Lap, how about waiting until Capcom says something about SSB4. The. You can make your try hard assumptions. Lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
(trolling or not, I wanted to respond)

1. FE and Tales have nothing to do with each other, and in no way will effect each other's chances.
2. Not every JRPG from Japan is popular. Even in Japan.
3. If Lloyd is included, that doesn't necessarily make you right. If Lloyd is included for the reasons you think he will be (which he won't be), then you'll be right. That's like saying "Sonic will be included because he went to the Olympics with Mario." "See? Sonic got included, I was right." :rolleyes::facepalm:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I sometimes wonder if Sonic + Mario in the Olympics was a trade off to get Sonic in Brawl. In reality Mario and Co. were given to SEGA in that game since SEGA is the publisher of that series.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Lol. You're funny. Stop trying kid.

Brawl will be the base on what SSB4 will be based on. That's how it worked for every SSB to date.

Why wouldn't Capcom want Megaman to be in SSB? They like money. Remember Marvel Vs Capcom? It didn't restrict them to one Megaman series. Heck we've had three different Megaman series represented in that game. That logic is faulty.
For the record, it was a totally different situation then. MvC2 having multiple MM series represented might have partly to do with the fact that Capcom was supporting multiple MM series. Classic MM, X series, and legends series all in the same gen and even on the same platform.

Whereas now, all MM series are dead/hibernation and a Capcom rep recently actually said that there are too many MM series, implying the need to focus on only one.
Inafune is another key factor. He left the company and suddenly all MM projects are shut down? Think about it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For your kind information, Ike is unpopular in Japan. Search the net. The tellius saga was the worst received series among the Japanese fanbase. And yet why do we have Ike? He was popular overseas, and was seen by many as replacement for Roy.

Tales is a Japanese RPG. So it's extremely popular in Japan. What logic is that?! Super Bubsy is an American platformer. It's extremely popular in America. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I sometimes wonder if Sonic + Mario in the Olympics was a trade off to get Sonic in Brawl. In reality Mario and Co. were given to SEGA in that game since SEGA is the publisher of that series.
The trade-off to get Sonic in Brawl was Nintendo paying Sega.

It probably helped that negotiations for a previous crossover already existed, but Sonic most likely would've been included in Brawl regardless of if he had already had a crossover with Mario or not. And it was hardly because of that game that caused Sonic to get into Brawl.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Honestly, I actually doubt Nintendo paid SEGA hardly anything. SEGA is all about advertising Sonic and pushing him into the spotlight anyway that they can so they likely jumped on the opportunity of putting him into Smash. They may have paid the SEGA employees for their work on Brawl but I expect that was about it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For the record, it was a totally different situation then. MvC2 having multiple MM series represented might have partly to do with the fact that Capcom was supporting multiple MM series. Classic MM, X series, and legends series all in the same gen and even on the same platform.

Whereas now, all MM series are dead/hibernation and a Capcom rep recently actually said that there are too many MM series, implying the need to focus on only one.
Inafune is another key factor. He left the company and suddenly all MM projects are shut down? Think about it.
Regardless it didn't restrict them whatsoever.

And yet Megaman still appears (albeit, in cameos) He's not dead. He's simply in hibernation like Samus was for a while.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I actually doubt Nintendo paid SEGA hardly anything. SEGA is all about advertising Sonic and pushing him into the spotlight anyway that they can so they likely jumped on the opportunity of putting him into Smash. They may have paid the SEGA employees for their work on Brawl but I expect that was about it.
Sonic's demand for Brawl wasn't quiet. It's naive to think Sega wasn't aware of the demand, just like it'd be naive to think Capcom isn't aware of the demand for Mega Man this time around. Sega, as most companies are, are primarily about profit. It's highly unlikely they didn't ask to be compensated decently for the addition of the most wanted character in Smash history, considering they knew Nintendo would probably pay pretty well, even if Smash would give Sonic great promotion in return. However that might be where Nintendo's previous permission to use Mario came in handy, and they probably struck a pretty fair deal. Just because Nintendo and Sega are friends now doesn't mean they're not businesses.

Of course this is all just guesswork, but thinking Sega wasn't well provided for allowing Sonic is a bit misguided. If anybody wasn't paid too much, it was probably Konami, they're the ones who begged for inclusion. Nintendo went to Sega, they had to be ready to offer something.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yes but Smash would have sold without Sonic (maybe not quite as much). Smash is still Smash even without other characters. It is my view that most of the time, third party companies are likely not receiving payments other than perhaps payments to the contractors working on the game and a small fee perhaps. I work for a Japanese Company and this is how they work. Now Sega likely made some money off of contractor the Sonic team out for the game but I doubt they asked Nintendo to pay much for the IP if anything at all. Also Japanese don't value IP as much as US Companies do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom