• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nakayorz Zelda Videos.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I LOVED when you launched Ryoko on the air and nailed her with a FW's reappearance! It was really impressive.
I agree, that was the best thing in the videos (well alongside the uair kill...). Who says that Zelda dittos are boring has just been watching wrong videos.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
I agree, that was the best thing in the videos (well alongside the uair kill...). Who says that Zelda dittos are boring has just been watching wrong videos.
Hehe thanks, I try to put on a good show, I usually lose the matches with the memorable moments though. comes with the territory of being overzealous I guess. :)

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Hehe thanks, I try to put on a good show, I usually lose the matches with the memorable moments though. comes with the territory of being overzealous I guess. :)

Actually, what lost you a lot of the matches was mistakes offstage; don't try to play outside of the stage too much; Zelda is not an off-the-stage combatant.

From a potential standpoint, I saw your Zelda dominating Ryoko's quite a bit; this may be because Ryoko appears to be branching out his attention from Zelda onto Zamus and others, while you keep practicing with Zelda more frequently. This is all assumption, though.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
hence the word overzealous :p overextending and being too risky when I shouldn't and such. it's a habitual thing though, makes it more fun for me even if it causes me to lose, it's not whether you win or lose for me but whether it's done with style.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Actually, what lost you a lot of the matches was mistakes offstage; don't try to play outside of the stage too much; Zelda is not an off-the-stage combatant.
I highly disagree. Zelda has a great off stage game. He just needs practice.

Keep up the good work Naks. It isn't enough to win. You gotta know how to entertain. lolz

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
I highly disagree. Zelda has a great off stage game. He just needs practice.

Keep up the good work Naks. It isn't enough to win. You gotta know how to entertain. lolz
Outside of Nair and a well-placed dair spike, I don't see how she can be. Any character with decent recovery options and good edgehogging/edgeguarding skills will put you at a disadvantaged situation. It's not like Zelda relies on gimping recoveries to win, considering how early she gets her kills.

Hmm, I dunno, maybe I'm seeing it at the wrong angle, since when I think of off-stage characters, I think of Sheik, Jiggs, Samus, ZSS, and Lucario.

P.S. And yes, I get overzealous, too. You cannot imagine the face of stupor I put whenever I find my Sheik suicide.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Ya I'm not saying she needs it to win but it's alot of fun to attack people off the level and go after them. It's all about being creative and confident. I'm not saying that it works all the time either, but it's something that I think every Zelda player should work into their game.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
Ya I'm not saying she needs it to win but it's alot of fun to attack people off the level and go after them. It's all about being creative and confident. I'm not saying that it works all the time either, but it's something that I think every Zelda player should work into their game.
I agree with his. Most of my best kills have been from d-airs XD.

goodkid

Smash Lord
When people try to chase Zelda off the stage, sometimes they get a little to confident and they fall for an easy drop down u-air. I'm pretty sure it works the other way around with her d-air spike and kicks, something I should do more.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hmm. I'm in the middle with this off-stage business.

True, Zelda doesn't have many moves that are good for edge-guarding and such, but the ones that she does are killer. Her air dodge seems to take twice as long as most characters, so I find it easy to position myself in a good place for a lightning kick with that. All her aerials are killers, which is good - but like rageagainst said way back, you get screwed badly when things get sour.

I think some characters are harder to off-stage pwn than others.

Anyway, Nakayorz... basing this solely on the video "Zelda (Naks) vs Ike(Ryko) FD 0302 part 4"

Your approach-forcing game is great. Almost flawlessly so. Improvements could be made with your approach though.

At one point early in the game, you only grabbed. 10 straight times. The result was a relatively mild punishment, but Ike was at a high percentage. You should have gotten a little more aggressive, and just went in for the u-tilt or d-smash. He got you to 79% when you could have killed at 0%.

Dins were used a lot. I can understand that this is necessary to get him to come to you, but it makes you a little predictable. I think sometimes it's good to mix things up with an approach from your side too. You have a tendancy to hit him hard, then retreat and repeat. Follow ups are key to early KOs. When you f-air sweetspot, run after him. There's nothing he can do while he's flying away - jump (dodge if necessary, while he aerials)/Din from the edge, and go in for an aerial then FW back to get some space.

Ike is a slow opponent. Take advantage of this. Space yourself well, wait for him to charge at you, and FW behind him, out of his swords range incase he charges a Usmash or something, and then charge in yourself before he can swing again. If you're unsure, just fake a charge by spot dodging until he finishes swinging then go in. iirc, every time you used FW, you tried to hit him with it. iirc, he punished each time. Try to get as good with FW as you are with Din.

Alright, well, that was a mouth full of heavy criticism. Please don't be insulted or anything, that is not my intention, and I don't mean to come off a little conceited and full of myself - I have my share of things to work on too. You are definitely a good Zelda, and have obvious strengths, but so too there are obvious weaknesses. I tried to point these out as things to work on. Sometimes I strung together specific moves. This is just a loose general guideline. Improvisation is everything. You never want to do the same things over and over again.

Goodluck :D

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for trying to help out with the criticism. Sadly I guess I had the thread poorly organized... I keep some of the old stuff up to show progression for the most part, and I would have hoped that perhaps you looked at a more recent video as well and comment on issues in my gameplay that still persist through the past few months. anyways I edited the original post to reflect it. if you could look at the stuff that was recorded more recently you might find that some of the criticism may or may not apply anymore. Thanks for taking the time to write though.. I appreciate it.

Note: the time period back when that match was recorded was just before I stopped being waay overzealous with farore's

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
The new videos are good! You have improved alot I think. Also, you had some nice usage of FW. Be careful not to overuse it though. The killing Dair spike in the Team battle was nice too!

Ah, soon I can get to play Brawl. Stupid Europe release..

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Naks is easily THE BEST Zelda when it comes to FW manipulation. Some of the stuff in there is outright impressive.

For the Ike match-up: Shield and punish. I know, this is incredibly boring gameplay, but don't jump toward him when he is able to pull an aerial. His aerial game is > yours unless you can nail your aerials beforehand, such as a sweet nair. A huge portion of the damage you took was because a) You kept jumping toward him just to be met with a fair to the face, and b) You kept trying to gimp his recovery. As I'm sure the match taught you, gimping Ike's recovery as Zelda is more trouble than it's worth. Most curiously, though, is how I saw so many openings for a dair spike, but you chose to jump offstage with a fair. The first portion of your first match with ryko, though, was delicious in just how you connected your attacks seamlessly.

Peach: Dark Peach is a good Peach player, no doubt (although not on the level of Mikey Lenetia). With Peach you can afford to be more aggressive simply because there is no scary, big time move that can get you KO'd (poor Peach). Peach, like Zelda, also plays well as a defensive character. The trick is, when forced to approach, Zelda is the better aggressor. I'm also certain that you learned first-hand how painful Peach's uairs and fairs can get (and bairs are just nasty for spamming). Still, Peach dies if you sneeze at her; that's how light she is. Being more aggressive toward landing KO's on her would've done wonders here. Again, you turn people green with envy through your flawless and creative use of FW.

Jash: Ouch. A character that you can't force to approach ( has better projectile game), is adept at aerials (nightmare for an airborn Zelda) but still can approach well, small enough to more easily DI out of your smashes, and with great killing potential himself. Characters with good projectile games are just impossible for Zelda; I suggest using Sheik and going for the KO by transforming into Zelda when you create an opening. TL is a ridiculously good character; you'll have lots of trouble against good ones (I sure as hell do; it's absurd how underrated TL is in the tourney scene).

Anyways, thanks for the videos! As usual, you bring rather entertaining play. Gotta love (and hate, sometimes lol) your experimental playstyle ;).

popsofctown

Smash Champion
NAKAYORZ HAS THE BEST ZELDA BECAUSE SHE SETS IT TO DRAGONFORCE! Just kidding. Your Zelda is definitely really unique.

On Zelda's offstage game, she can play off stage in some situations. A few situations. The important thing is that Zelda can get a big payoff from limited edgeguarding. You can just drop off the ledge and bair, and that's a gauranteed kill.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Ryo: The FW usage was great in match 1. Perfectly used against a slow character like Ike, looked a lot like how I use it. The FW directly into the back of his chargingB at 0:19 was fantastic. The one that finished the match was epic.
In Match 2 you did a bit more grab attacks while holding Ike, which was good considering that a lot of the time you used grabs only to DThrow with little chance of a follow up. At around 1:22 you probably should have BThrow'd into some edge guarding, instead of DThrow'ing and then getting slapped by Ike's Bair... Nice Din's at 2:32. Wicked good match finish.
Uair use and the lack thereof in Match 3 was a little bleh. Missed a few good opportunities, and the times you did it were a little wtf. Great DF and NL use and plenty of enough USmash. Good stuff.

DarkPeach: Not your greatest match. Uair at 0:49 dammit! lol. Amazing FW tricks though, and some excellent movement prediction with FSmash. I'd say try switching up how you deal with her turnips though: you shielded almost everytime and she quite consistently punished you when you came out. I hate that green dress on Peach...

Jash: Gah! I couldn't have done any better myself. That match looked painful. Odd how he thought he could ledgeguard you by simply staying on it at 2:24... At least you taught him better.
I would normally say good variation between shield, NL, and dodging against his projectile game, but it didn't seem to make much of a mark on him. Oh well.
Nice FW approach into shield into FSmash at 4:57. Loved it.

Doubles: I can't give much feedback on the doubles stuff. Just wanted to say I loved the Din's Fire on the stalling Peach in Match 1 @ 1:32. Even better Uair @ 3:53.

All in all, great work. You're easily a better Zelda than me, and as much as it pains me to say it, you've got a smarter FW game. Keep it up!

EDIT: Weehee! 400 posts... The vast majority in this subforum and one other thread <<;.

EDIT 2: Just watched the "Kicking Wisdom in the Face" trailer. The end against Sheik was quite possibly the most badass thing I've seen in Brawl to date.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Wow thanks for all the support I'll keep at it, digging through a lot of footage to finish that video I have a trailer up for atm and I'll try to improve on my uair usage :D

ashes

Smash Apprentice
Excellent vids!
I am in the process of making the Zelda board a good vid archive(that will hopefully be good enough to get stickied), so I was wondering if i can use a bunch of these vids you posted for the archive?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Really good video, it was really entertaining. I've also liked your matches very much! (yes, I've watched them all, just havent really commented due the the lack of brawl on my part)

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Excellent vids!
I am in the process of making the Zelda board a good vid archive(that will hopefully be good enough to get stickied), so I was wondering if i can use a bunch of these vids you posted for the archive?
Feel free, but I've got a gut feeling that darkmusician is about to release something big... something that makes all my stuff like like noobsplay, but yeah totally put it in your archive thread if you want.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Naks your Zelda is too good hehe. Awesome videos man and your new Resolute Princess video simply amazing. Well worth it keep being awesome.:bee:

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Nice video. The music was beautiful. Good job on organizing the clips and transitioning with cutscenes. I'll give you more indepth critique on youtube.

Keep up the good work. I'm very proud of you. :]

blink777

Smash Journeyman
+10 points for not using some horrendously inappropriate Metal or J-Pop song. +20 points for using a ridiculously good piece of music at that. Way to hit the musical highlights through your editing.

I loved this video in every way - even the credits! So glad that it wasn't some over-long Windows Movie Maker scrolling credits.

Awesome-freaking-video.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Nice Zelda vid! You have an amazing recovery, I think that's the hardest thing to do with Zelda is get those ledge hits with her up-b.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
It looks like you're using a video camera and pointing it at your TV. Check your video camera and see if there's composite ins on it (aka red yellow and white RCA jacks) and record that way. Is your camera digital? and what software do you have available to you? I used to use a pinnacle card but switched to an ADVC 110 box.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Well, there aren't any composite ins on it. Yes, the camera is digital. And Idk what you mean by what software I have available. I could by whatever I need, as long as it's not too expensive.

And the last part---I don;t understand.

Thank you for helping me. :)

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
what model is your camera and what capture software do you use and what editing software? if you can give me some specs of what you have I might be able to come up with a quick solution

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Oh!

My camera is Polaroid: model; 3560. m737t I believe. 7.0 megapixels.

Here's a pic:

I don't know the capture software....I just record from my camera.

And Windows Movie Maker.

Top Bottom