• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NA Consumers can now Pre-Load Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
Well I pre-downloaded the game from the e-shop, that's how. When you pre-load from they're website, yeah they don't give you the code to pre-load it until the 18th but not when you pre-purchase/pre-load it from the e-shop like I did. Here's the proof that I've pre-loaded the game.

I can't play it like until 12PM EST on November 21st like everyone else, but all the data for the game is on my system. It's awaiting a patch for me to be able to play it. Every time I try to load it up, it searches for an update and tells me the game isn't out yet.
external hard drive?

Last edited:

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
I wish I did that. I bought a nice 32 Gb sd card for my 3ds (bought smash on that btw) and I can quickly jump from game to game with ease. when I play with the wiiu I have to shuffle around game cases. I just don't like doing that.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Well I pre-downloaded the game from the e-shop, that's how. When you pre-load from they're website, yeah they don't give you the code to pre-load it until the 18th but not when you pre-purchase/pre-load it from the e-shop like I did. Here's the proof that I've pre-loaded the game.

I can't play it like until 12PM EST on November 21st like everyone else, but all the data for the game is on my system. It's awaiting a patch for me to be able to play it. Every time I try to load it up, it searches for an update and tells me the game isn't out yet.
What if you change the date?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
What if you change the date?
I'm pretty sure it's not a specific date but rather the patch that will be released on that date/time that will allow me to play the downloaded version of the game.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Just what I was thinking. Might be yushako all over again.
Or actually, reading other's posts, it seems that the pre-load requires a patch to even begin to run the program, and I don't think Sakurai is going to be keen on givin' that out.

Last edited:

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
So I wonder if anyone can get a crack to play it early, Doubt anyone would waste the effort though.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash

What brand of external hard drive do you use?
Where did you buy it?
How much did it cost?
Have you ever had any problems with it?

Thanks in advance for answering, sorry about all the questions

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
In the same boat as Syrek here. No, nothing special is needed and nothing can be "done" to speed up access. The game is sitting there as a pretty but taunting button on the Wii U Menu until the eShop updates, midnight of release date, as with all games. Any further questions pestering him or anyone that's already pre-downloaded should be taken to PMs.

I downloaded it without the external hard drive, btw.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I am extremely tempted to get this. I really feel like I need the adapter and Smash controller, though, and that makes me feel like I need to go to the store anyway, and I also wanted the physical disk.

I went the digital route with Smash 3DS because I figured it would be the most convenient, allowing me to have any game in the slot but always have Smash available.

I'm still not sure about this. I'd get it an hour earlier than if I went to the store, but I'd only be able to play with my gamepad/classic controller or 3DS until I could get the adapter.................. Oof.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142

THAT LOOKS SO NICE! OMG sorry for the caps lock but i cant contain my excitement for this game!

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
there is only one thing that worries me about this game and it is that i tried pre ordering the bundle with the gamecube controller but they didnt have any more of those at gamestop and what i am wondering is at the midnight release do you guys think they will let me get a normal gamecube controller with the Wii U adapater that releases on the 21st as well... just someone please respond?

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
It's still a shame that the GameCube controller is not wireless like the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, or the Xbox One controller. But, I think the revived controllers this time has a longer wire if you wanna play the game far away from the TV.
Still got my wavebird yo

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
there is only one thing that worries me about this game and it is that i tried pre ordering the bundle with the gamecube controller but they didnt have any more of those at gamestop and what i am wondering is at the midnight release do you guys think they will let me get a normal gamecube controller with the Wii U adapater that releases on the 21st as well... just someone please respond?
Depends. I tried pre-ordering the Gamecube Adapter as well as the Smash Bros. Gamecube Controller from Gamestop two weeks ago and they said they weren't taking pre-orders any more. Not a good sign for if you want to get them at the midnight release as it sounds like they are in high demand at the moment. They did tell me to check in with them every couple of days since they said that might change, but I doubt it. I decided to just buy the Gamecube Adapter and controllers from Amazon and wait a couple of days rather than go through all the hassle of maybe getting it on release day.

PragmaticEnigma

Smash Cadet

Aaaaaand Nintendo said nothing about this. Great. Well, I guess it really doesn't matter since I think three days is enough time ti pre-load. Plus I wan't to see how it auto downloads when I register it from my phone.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
dat adblock D:
If they didn't want people Ad Blocking, they'd find better means to allow people to pay. Right now, the only way forces you into an automatic subscription you have to waste your personal time to stop if you just want to do a once-off. The current legal owners of the boards are capable of putting something better together but I suspect until they do, there will still be tons of people doing this.

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
OR you could just go a mile down the road, wait in line with some like-minded people, and get a physical copy that actually holds value. You gotta get the GCN adapter anyway... +Midnight pickups are fun!

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
It must be so tragic to have the game on your system but not be able to play it.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

All the data is on the system? Then just hack your WiiU. :laugh:
(JK, not sure if that's even possible. :p )

Black Mantis

Smash Hero

dat hyrule warriors>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's still a shame that the GameCube controller is not wireless like the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, or the Xbox One controller. But, I think the revived controllers this time has a longer wire if you wanna play the game far away from the TV.
I would say the biggest reason people even still care about the GC controller is because it is wired. Wireless controllers are illegal at big video game tournaments for many reasons.

If it were only a matter of convenience/ergonomics, I would agree that the GC controller is far from the best option... but that's not even close to the real reason GC controllers matter so much to "professional" smashers.

The GC controller button layout is pretty great, though. Even if the Z, L, and R buttons, and controller grips, aren't perfect, the rest of the controller pretty much is, imo.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I'm amazed that they're doing this, mostly because in some ways it's so much more convenient than any other way of getting the game, when you think about it.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Depends. I tried pre-ordering the Gamecube Adapter as well as the Smash Bros. Gamecube Controller from Gamestop two weeks ago and they said they weren't taking pre-orders any more. Not a good sign for if you want to get them at the midnight release as it sounds like they are in high demand at the moment. They did tell me to check in with them every couple of days since they said that might change, but I doubt it. I decided to just buy the Gamecube Adapter and controllers from Amazon and wait a couple of days rather than go through all the hassle of maybe getting it on release day.
yeah im in the same situation but thanks for letting me know i am not the only on with this issue!:)

ProfessorTakehiko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0240-2597
I would say the biggest reason people even still care about the GC controller is because it is wired. Wireless controllers are illegal at big video game tournaments for many reasons.

If it were only a matter of convenience/ergonomics, I would agree that the GC controller is far from the best option... but that's not even close to the real reason GC controllers matter so much to "professional" smashers.

The GC controller button layout is pretty great, though. Even if the Z, L, and R buttons, and controller grips, aren't perfect, the rest of the controller pretty much is, imo.
And another problem about being the GC controller still being wired is that the controls can glitch out, which makes you blow on the end of your controller & the controller insert of the console. Even the Wii U had the same problem.

Top Bottom