• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NA Consumers can now Pre-Load Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Today on MiiVerse, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "[For users in the Americas] Starting today, you can pre-load the Wii U version. If you’re interested in purchasing the digital version, you should be able to start playing right away on the game's release day without having to deal with a potentially congested server if you use this feature. Check out the link below for more details."

Sakurai was kind enough to provide a link to the official Nintendo site: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/YXIh5ldOpNjK_4ROED9rAGIfPpZNLHvA

According to the site, pre-ordering the digital version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will start to pre-load most of the games content which will supposedly cut down on congestion on the E-Shop come November 21st. We saw this during the Western release of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS with some players saying they had to wait several hours or more to download the digital version. This is great news for those who will be pre-ordering and downloading the digital version rather than purchasing it from Nintendo or a retailer. Players who pre-order and pre-load the games content will be able to play the game right off the bat on November 21st, 2014 without waiting a long time to download the digital version! It is unknown if this service will be made available for Europe, Australia, or Asia. The MiiVerse post was made in Europe and Oceania's MiiVerse but was absent in the Japanese section of MiiVerse.

How will you be purchasing Super Smash Bros. for Wii U? Download digitally or through Nintendo/Retailer? Are you happy with this move and do you feel it will cut down on E-Shop congestion? Let us know below!

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sakurai is really giving Japan the short end now.

They got Smash 3DS first, now we get Smash U first.

Even then, I think this is suspiciously generous.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry it was a mistake on my part. I accidentally typed "pre-download" but it has been changed to "pre-load". It is fixed and sorry for the confusion.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Sakurai is really giving Japan the short end now.

They got Smash 3DS first, now we get Smash U first.

Even then, I think this is suspiciously generous.
Console gaming is most prominent in North America. Handheld gaming is most prominent in Japan. It's just logical prioritizing really, nothing suspicious.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Most if not all of my students has or their siblings has a 3DS. These ages range between 1st grade and 9th grade. On the other hand, only 10% of those students may have a Wii U. It sales terribly here in Japan whereas 3DS sales are through the roof.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Most if not all of my students has or their siblings has a 3DS. These ages range between 1st grade and 9th grade. On the other hand, only 10% of those students may have a Wii U. It sales terribly here in Japan whereas 3DS sales are through the roof.
I specifically said CONSOLE and not Wii U. And besides, once Smash is out, the Wii U is going to literally fly off the shelves. Then Nintendo will finally be back on top in sales where they belong.
EDIT: Sorry thought you lived in America :ohwell:

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Lol, I wasn't arguing at you or directing anything to you...more so commenting from observations I see here in Japan. But we we will see if the Wii U has an big increase in sales due to SSB4 in Japan. 3DS are just more accessible for the Japanese market due to price, mobility, and the games so it does generally better. It has always been that way with the market here. But yeah, consoles generally do bad but comparing Xbox to Playstation/Nintendo does not really make any sense since, generally, Xbox is fairly unpopular here. It still remains a Western-favored console.

However, traditional video gaming is starting to lose its hold on the Japanese market with more and more consumes turning to mobile games on smart devices. The market is going through the roof.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well Im definately going physical since I got the GameCube Bundle, but this is still a VERY smart move on Nintendo's part. Considering Nintendo's download service is slow enough WITHOUT traffic, this is a very nice breather for downloaders.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Although I don't have a Wii U yet, but great news.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Sadly I pre-ordered a physical version of this game because of Smashfest and the deal with the special coin. For those enjoying the game now, please enjoy it hard on my behalf. Thanks.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Tempting but I'm going to get a physical copy. I won't make the same mistake buying digital again when my save data got corrupted for the 3ds version.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Still gotta have it physicall.

Great move by the way and least those people who gonna dowload it are gonna be pleased by this, after all, I feel envy by them getting first.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I already have a pre-order for the retail copy. I can't download the digital version anyway, as my Wii U doesn't have enough memory for the software download.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Bought and pre-loaded the game! Now I'm just patiently waiting till 10PM MST on November 20th so I can download the patch that will allow me to actually play the game. Having the icon on my home menu makes SO unbearable. It's like it's teasing me to play it but it knows I can't. :c

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Sadly I pre-ordered a physical version of this game because of Smashfest and the deal with the special coin. For those enjoying the game now, please enjoy it hard on my behalf. Thanks.
*FACEPALM* Pre loading doesn't mean you can play it now, It just means you have it pre downloaded so you can play it on launch day.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Lol, I wasn't arguing at you or directing anything to you...more so commenting from observations I see here in Japan. But we we will see if the Wii U has an big increase in sales due to SSB4 in Japan. 3DS are just more accessible for the Japanese market due to price, mobility, and the games so it does generally better. It has always been that way with the market here. But yeah, consoles generally do bad but comparing Xbox to Playstation/Nintendo does not really make any sense since, generally, Xbox is fairly unpopular here. It still remains a Western-favored console.

However, traditional video gaming is starting to lose its hold on the Japanese market with more and more consumes turning to mobile games on smart devices. The market is going through the roof.
That's really sad, so dedicated gaming devices, well, DEDICATED to real gaming are dying? Well at least Microsoft's losing out on an important market, always good to see those guys on the last place.

ProfessorTakehiko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0240-2597
Lol, lots of people are gonna surround GameStop, especially the little kids cause of that commercial hype. But, if I had a Wii U, I would prefer to get the actual game with the disk & everything else. No need to download it, just in case if your planning on making another Miiverse account with the same device. Which forces you to delete it. o3o

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like having the box, so I'll be getting the physical copy.
The 3DS version was at the local Walmart on its release day. I hope it's the same for the Wii U version.

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
I heard that the pre-download thing says Smash U takes up like 16 GB. Is this true?
seems about right. I remember that ssb 3ds was about 9000 blocks, quite large but not extremely giangantic like pokemon x/y.

ProfessorTakehiko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0240-2597
I'm still going to buy the CD, cause I want that GameCube adapter!!!
It's still a shame that the GameCube controller is not wireless like the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, or the Xbox One controller. But, I think the revived controllers this time has a longer wire if you wanna play the game far away from the TV.

PragmaticEnigma

Smash Cadet
Bought and pre-loaded the game! Now I'm just patiently waiting till 10PM MST on November 20th so I can download the patch that will allow me to actually play the game. Having the icon on my home menu makes SO unbearable. It's like it's teasing me to play it but it knows I can't. :c
How? Pre-Loading doesn't start until the 18th.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
How? Pre-Loading doesn't start until the 18th.
Well I pre-downloaded the game from the e-shop, that's how. When you pre-load from they're website, yeah they don't give you the code to pre-load it until the 18th but not when you pre-purchase/pre-load it from the e-shop like I did. Here's the proof that I've pre-loaded the game.

I can't play it like until 12PM EST on November 21st like everyone else, but all the data for the game is on my system. It's awaiting a patch for me to be able to play it. Every time I try to load it up, it searches for an update and tells me the game isn't out yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom