• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

mixa

Banned via Warnings
However, I never lose sight of the fact that the N64 controller is merely a tool to be used for enjoying games that many of us are interested in.
hmm..... I wouldn't be so sure. half of these guys just wanna make controllers for a living, I personally don't care about this game.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
so i don't mind him being on here and i enjoy seeing his collection
Fair enough. Maybe I'm in the minority that's annoyed by it.

IMO he should just make his own "collection" thread on here and keep all his pics contained to that thread. He's had a tendency to go pretty off topic to try and justify posting random collection pics in the past.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah it's annoying but it's a small annoyance and he seems nice so I don't wanna hurt his feelings

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Hey guys i just reread this thread and its making me wonder about the controller i'm currently using. The thing is i play mostly online so my controller has been very reliable when the deadzone is set low. however, i recently played some console and was having SO MUCH trouble using pika's upb recovery. i had to move the joystick so much in order for it to register my two directions. i was wondering if this could maybe be because the joystick in my controller is actually the "repair box" 3rd party stick that seems to have a higher deadzone rather than an oem stick. I was a bit suspicious when i bought this controller at my local used game store because the stick was so pristine it almost seemed to good to be true. Could anybody describe to me any physical differences in the appearance of the repair box stick so i can determine if this is an original or not?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Grab another controller and compare them side by side. The repair box stick has a different shaped stick, plus the plastic has a different look and feel. Also like I mentioned in my guide it requires significantly more force to move the stick so it feels "tighter" than normal.

But yah everyone who still uses 1st party controllers needs to be able to tell the difference between the replacement sticks and a 1st party stick. Most used game stores are replacing the sticks on n64 controllers before they sell them these days. I have both replacements, I just don't have a quality camera to take good comparison pics with.

B Link

Smash Lord
I wanna buy some tight-stick-used controllers. But I'm scared about them having ugly FAKE STICKS in them.

Guess I'll just save up for a brand new controller.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Learn how to tell the difference and you'll be fine.

There are obvious clues despite not even knowing the visual differences. Like if somebody on ebay/amazon/used game store lists a controller with a BRAND NEW joystick it's obviously going to be a 3rd party replacement.

You can ask the game store or message the ebay seller too. They'll be truthful with you because they think a brand new stick is a good thing.

rustyw

Smash Cadet

rustyw

Smash Cadet
What would we need to reproduce? The two elbows, the bowl, and the thumbstick? The entire plastic assembly?

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
If I'm remembering right, the bowl is pretty complicated because it has those 2 black gears that the elbows interact with

rustyw

Smash Cadet
If I'm remembering right, the bowl is pretty complicated because it has those 2 black gears that the elbows interact with

Oh, I forgot whether the bowl is part of that chassis or if it's separate. Are they the same part?

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I forgot whether the bowl is part of that chassis or if it's separate. Are they the same part?
Ah, just remembered (I should know because I greased up some of my buddy's controller on saturday albeit quite inebriatedly so). They are separate. The bowl is actually pretty simple.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The bowl, black axis pieces, and stick would need to be reproduced for sure. New springs would be nice too but nowhere near as important.

rustyw

Smash Cadet
I talked it over with him. He thinks that the quality of the material that the 3D printer makes will not make for a long-lasting analog setup. He said it would be best to get the pieces modelled and get a plastic mold made for them and have the parts made that way with harder plastic, though this is more expensive.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
I talked it over with him. He thinks that the quality of the material that the 3D printer makes will not make for a long-lasting analog setup. He said it would be best to get the pieces modelled and get a plastic mold made for them and have the parts made that way with harder plastic, though this is more expensive.
I think smash64 will have a cult following for the rest of this generation at least. That seems like the endgame for when all controllers are worn out or when decent ones become stupidly expensive. I think this will start happening before 2020...

rustyw

Smash Cadet
Agreed. My impression now is that N64 controllers are on their way out from normal wear-and-tear, and many solutions now just aren't realistic or practical when you can easily get an adapter for something like a Gamecube controller.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
This thread still going on?
*Yawn*
*Plugs in N64 Controller*
*Tells Keyboard player to just leave and never return*
/thread (Again)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Someone buy one of those new wireless replicas and check out the stick quality. And if it's compatible with a 1st party controller.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Hey guys i just reread this thread and its making me wonder about the controller i'm currently using. The thing is i play mostly online so my controller has been very reliable when the deadzone is set low. however, i recently played some console and was having SO MUCH trouble using pika's upb recovery. i had to move the joystick so much in order for it to register my two directions. i was wondering if this could maybe be because the joystick in my controller is actually the "repair box" 3rd party stick that seems to have a higher deadzone rather than an oem stick. I was a bit suspicious when i bought this controller at my local used game store because the stick was so pristine it almost seemed to good to be true. Could anybody describe to me any physical differences in the appearance of the repair box stick so i can determine if this is an original or not?
hey guys i just wanted to follow up on this because i recently bought a BRAND NEW 1st party n64 controller online, and after examining the joystick on my new controller with my old one i now know for sure that it is a THIRD PARTY stick even tho the controller is 1st party. The main difference between the sticks is the the 3rd party one (which im pretty sure is a "repair box" stick) is a bit shorter so it sits lower in the controller. if you have spent alot of time with these controllers you should be able to tell as soon as you put your thumb on the stick because of it sitting lower. Anyways the stick has been an annoyance because often registers smash attacks as tilts and tilt attacks as plain jabs. However one big pro about the stick is it makes plat drop uairs and falling uairs MUCH easier to perform as you have to push up very fast for it to register a stick jump.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The repair box sticks are easier to differentiate than the 3rd party OEM replacements. Those are the trickiest since they're very close to being identical.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Someone buy one of those new wireless replicas and check out the stick quality. And if it's compatible with a 1st party controller.
played with A$ and Mukor (a player who lives near us that we just met today), and mukor brought one of the wireless replicas. We didn't use it, but he said the stick seems like standard 3rd party quality aka not great.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
another trick: search for "broken" controllers in the internet, which might doesn't work for some reason. i got 3 never used sticks that way for 10€

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Here's a good example as to how hard it can be to tell the difference between a 1st party stick and a 3rd party OEM replacement. Especially if you're looking to buy controllers online via ebay/amazon and only have mediocre pics (which my phone camera does a good job simulating) as a reference.

Which one do you guys think is the 3rd party?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Coming someone who's gonna use an alt at Apex just for kicks, I think this is a trick question.

D

Deleted member

Ha ha ha, that's very funny!

A lot of people say that my red N64 controller is very sexy. It's the color I tend to use most often when playing SSB or Killer Instinct Gold semi competitively.

I like to use red for the psychological effect it has on my opponents. It's sorta like how a matador uses a red cape against a bull.

I actually used to have a controller like that, and a grey, black and transparent green one. I greased the control stick for my red one, but my N64 and Smash are all gone now lol

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I actually used to have a controller like that, and a grey, black and transparent green one. I greased the control stick for my red one, but my N64 and Smash are all gone now lol
The only way that I'll ever part with my copy of Super Smash Bros. is when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. :)

Top Bottom