• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'd pay $10 a piece for one or two of your sticks Nintendude . You can still find whole controllers with very good original joysticks for $15 at a playntrade or ebay. So IMO they're not really worth much more than $10. Maybe $12 tops.

So yah that's my offer.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
$20

FINAL OFFER

(if it is out of the box brand new)

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
How much would people be willing to pay for a brand new 1st party stick? I'm curious.
As in a full first party controller controller with a like new never been used stick? $30 easy, especially if a skilled player tests it to confirm that there are no issues with dropped dash, fastfall, uair etc inputs. I have a few controllers with sticks that feel pristine yet actually have minor issues when doing these inputs that only come out during gameplay. Buying a controller on the open market is a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned even if I get a truthful statement on the physical qualities of the stick. There are probably tons of perfect controllers hidden away in closets and storage boxes and thrift stores, but finding and properly judging them worthy for SSB play is not necessarily a simple task. I find real value in someone else doing it for me.

For reference, I paid $37 after shipping for the ebay controller described as "mint, no stick play." I will have absolutely no regrets so long as the controller condition is actually as stated.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
How much did you buy those sticks for Nintendude?

You should take that $30 offer from Kefit and run.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys referring to just the analog stick or a full like new first party controller?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Nintendude, I'm not as picky. Pick me! I'll drop $30, TOO.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Ah yeah I don't know how to work with just sticks. I'd probably be willing to experiment with one but not for more than $10-15.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It's pretty easy to stick it in, Kefit. All you need's a screwdriver

Have you thought about greasing? You should get taught next tourney you go to, it's the future apparently.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
How much would people be willing to pay for a brand new 1st party stick? I'm curious.
By 1st party stick, you mean OEM controller stick? Like brand new original N64 stick? Whatever the highest current bid is +$5.

Oh, someone mentioned greasing the analog stick; I do that on all my N64 controllers that are still in good condition when I get them. Ceramic grease is amazing for this as it’s very light, doesn’t gum up and last almost forever. Ceramic grease uses space-age nanotechnology so the grease actually penetrates the plastic parts and reduces friction like no other product I’ve ever seen.
What brand of ceramic grease do you use? I'd like to look for some and try it out.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Apparently this is an auction now? Well, alright I guess lol. Current highest bid is $35. Guess I should clarify a few things then. This is a 1st party stick that isn't PERFECTLY brand new but it's pretty damn close and you can ask KnitePhox what he thought of it. I already took the time to grease it with arcade stick lubricant. It's also missing the mini circuit board that plugs into the controller but it's really easy to just take one from a worn out stick. I used one of these sticks for Zenith.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Does KnitePhox care to input his opinion on the stick and its performance? The price of it is really whatever someone (like myself) is willing to pay for it and how much it is worth to that person/the seller.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol I went back and corrected my "oops, DP" post in the social thread after I noticed that

I DON'T MEAN TO SAY THESE THINGS

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Kefit you're kinda just throwing money away if you're not greasing your joysticks. They will wear. Fairly rapidly. And then you'll just have to buy another.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Does KnitePhox care to input his opinion on the stick and its performance? The price of it is really whatever someone (like myself) is willing to pay for it and how much it is worth to that person/the seller.
He didn't actually play test it. He just felt it to verify that it was stiff like it was brand new.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Kefit you're kinda just throwing money away if you're not greasing your joysticks. They will wear. Fairly rapidly. And then you'll just have to buy another.
I plan on greasing the next set of good controllers I obtain. I've been running on the same set since mid 2011 or so and all of them have finally reached the point where they're no good for even friendly competitive play. I hope to pick up 3-4 good ones in the near future and grease them up after I experiment a bit with my old worn out units.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
the stick felt amazing, the snap back to neutral and smoothness of tilts tells me the grease job was great, good ****...it was quite ALMOST pristine

in the Mint-Very Good-Good-Average-Below Average-Poor-Very Poor-Wouldn't Even Use This Online scale i'd give it a
Very Good+

i'd pay 15$ each + shipping personally nintendude

i may want 1 or 2...but i have good controllers and that would be selfish to not let someone else get a shot first. that doesn't mean i don't want 1-2...

EDIT:i have a dremel and am going to use that with some epoxy and fine grit sand paper soon to begin testing worn out sticks....

BUT i have this grand plan that i have only mentioned to a few people thus far. Obtain a ABS plastic 3d printer and print out sticks and bowls and entire joystick housings for the whole community for materials cost + 3$ + shipping(the 3$ to just cover the cost of the printer AND payback the kickstarter donations)

what are people's opinions of me beginning a kickstarter for this?

Imagine that....never have to buy GARBAGE sticks again, just PRINT and ship out PRISTINE ones EACH TIME you need them. FOR THE WHOLE COMMUNITY.

i only have 1 realistic flaw, that is, the 3D Model. wether i can have access to a 3d scanner OR have someone model it based on dimensions from a SEALED UNOPENED controller that i have access to.??? that's the only real hurdle because if i had the MODEL covered i would already have begun this process months ago.

EXTRA AWESOME 3D PRINTING VIDEO: GG's OLD WORLD CONSTRUCTION/WORLD SLUMS, HELLO MOONBASE.

wether or not this ever happens, 3d printing is the future of the world PWNED.

Mr. Happy :)

Smash Cadet
@KnitePhox

I did a similar process already and I'm happy to tell you the results were outstanding... Although their plastic was a little slippery on the thumb

I got a near perfect controller off of ebay and had a local plastic company reproduce me 30 thumbsticks. It was about $75 for the whole process, it would have been much less in bulk I assume

I hope you go through with it! Best of luck :)

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
tell me which company ill drive out, i'm in chicago

ill setup a monthly buying deal if they are good enough. in fact, we should meet up and smash so i can see the sticks and maybe buy on off you so i can test

the slippery plastic would be AMAZING for the bowl i think

Mr. Happy :)

Smash Cadet
tell me which company ill drive out, i'm in chicago

ill setup a monthly buying deal if they are good enough. in fact, we should meet up and smash so i can see the sticks and maybe buy on off you so i can test

the slippery plastic would be AMAZING for the bowl i think

The company I used was family owned and fell apart, unfortunately. But there are no shortage of places capable of manufacturing ABS with a DDM (3D) process, especially in Chicagoland

Injected plastic might be better cost wise if you're looking for more than say 50 sticks (guessing). 3D printing was nonexistent when I made mine

For what it's worth, they make at home molding kits too, which should be just as good but on a smaller scale

I still have my original controller I mentioned, with a practically unused stick so I could spare you the hassle of tracking down a near factory quality one.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
3D printing new controllers? That's brilliant. I forget - which part of the stick is the part that gets physically worn out? Is it the bowl or is it the bottom of the stick itself?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
this could be the most super duper breakthrough of all time. Who needs grease when you can just make a new stick?

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
3D printing new controllers? That's brilliant. I forget - which part of the stick is the part that gets physically worn out? Is it the bowl or is it the bottom of the stick itself?
Since all of the moving parts are plastic, all of the parts get worn out. The two black semicircular sliding pieces that turn the gears for x and y inputs get worn out on the inside edges where the joystick makes contact. The bottom of the bowl and the bottom of the stick get worn out too. Also, something some people forget is that the spring inside the joystick box gets less springy too, though I heard you can fix this by stretching it out a bit and putting it in the oven. Not sure if this is bro science but someone should check to see some time.

Anyone care to explain quickly what 3d printing is? I assume its where you can scan a piece of plastic and somehow it measures the dimensions and you can then reproduce identical replicas, but sounds very high tech and I can't imagine what a 3d printer would look like.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
if anyone finds a company and asks them a quote for 1k sticks, i'll buy a couple.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
3D printing is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of reproducing something that is 2D (ink on paper), you reproduce a 3-dimensional object made of some sort of plastic material. It's essentially automatic manufacturing.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
So awesome. Only 1.5 grand... so that would make about 150 sticks to go through to break even, not counting raw materials and the manhours to do it.

Also, nintendude I liked your Apex GF commentary. you seem like a chill guy.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
If somebody can manufacture perfect reproductions of N64 controller analog stick internals I can assure you that you’d sell literally thousands of them. This is especially true if they’re made of a plastic that doesn’t wear out as quickly as the originals but maintains the same general feel as the OEM parts.

I’m well known on a prominent globally supported N64 fan site and if I determine the product to be top quality I would promote the new analog thumbstick parts there. Of course I’d need to do extensive testing to give the Grizzmeister seal of approval before I’d suggest that other people spend their hard-earned money on these replacement parts.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I'd buy 3-4 sticks if someone from the community got new ones 3D printed in bulk. If the whole community comes together to buy a bunch we could probably get the per-unit price pretty low. I could ask at MK64 if anyone wants in.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah I'd buy too but BEFORE we buy we need top players testing this **** and making sure it's perfect. I'm skeptical personally.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
yeah you would need to be able to produce the bowl and the rotating black pieces, not just the stick. If that was possible i would definitely buy a few

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
good idea, of course ill give a review if there is no fatal flaw to it, like the badair stick ):

EDIT: better idea to give to players in atlantic north, since they play console regularly

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Well, someone should get that ball rolling. Sounds like there isn't a single person opposed to the idea, and I don't see why there would be. I'd definitely buy 10-20 sticks myself, and probably more after that.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You know, this could actually be a very profitable venture for whoever is willing to step it up and supply the initial investment.

Top Bottom