• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My SSB4 Journal: Why the rosters needs to be different for the 3DS and Wii-U version.

D

Deleted member

Link to original post: [drupal=4396]My SSB4 Journal: Why the rosters needs to be different for the 3DS and Wii-U version.[/drupal]

Okay, so after my failed "Smashing Blogs" series (Which I will not be continuing), I took a break from it. With the SSB4 announcement, I am now returning to blogging on a semi-regular basis. This time, it will be (If you haven't guessed) regarding Super Smash Bros. 4. I have quite a few things I want to write about, so I'll start with the one I would consider to be the most pressing matter with the character roster; if the character roster should be the same or different. Most of my discussions will be on the characters rosters, since that's the main thing I have to work with, but I am willing to expand on different topics if I get requests to do so.

In the case the Sakurai and his crew actually does read the SSB4 threads, I'm hoping that the 3DS and Wii-U version are different with the 3DS version having 25-35 and the Wii-U having 44+ characters (44 is the lowest I'll be satisfied with); neither rosters are including transformations. Let's take a scenario as to why I don't support the rosters being the same.

Let's say that Sakurai said that the Wii-U and 3DS version will be the exact same rosters. Lots of people (At least from what I've heard from ChronoBound on GameFAQs) for some reason wants this and I can't quite understand why. The huge problem with this is that this will require compromising the Wii-U's roster considerably. 44 characters on the Wii-U should not be that hard to do, but it'll be near impossible with the 3DS and Wii-U roster being the same. As a matter of fact, I predict if this happens, we will see a roster less then 40 characters in the game (Not including transformations) and possibly even less then Brawl. Nobody wants such an underwhelming roster for SSB4, especially considering that there are at least 15 potential newcomers that could be in SSB4. People will have high expectations for everything in the game, including rosters; making it the same on the Wii-U and 3DS will having fans feeling as if the roster is just a simple update from Brawl (Or worse) rather then something new and fresh.

It also is going to backfire on the company. Hundreds of thousands of fans are going to be vexed if the roster is less then 40, even those with realistic expectations. As such many of those people will not buy the game because contrary to what people think, unimpressive rosters are enough to scare people away. In return, it will take a hit on Nintendo's and Sora Ltd.'s profit, not to mention dock off a few points from reviews. The only benefit is that the characters are the same, which is not enough to justify the negative consequences of that happening. The game can still be very good, but it will leave almost everyone expecting a good roster disappointed. That's why I'm against this and that's why I think it'll be illogical for Sakurai to do this to his fans.

Now there are two ways to prevent this from happening. These are good solutions with many benefits and the negative side effects being much more minor.

1. Have the 3DS roster be cut down to 25-35 characters slots while SSB4 has a roster ranging from 44-50 characters slots. This means fans will have to accept less characters, stages, etc. on the 3DS version while the Wii-U version is the real deal. Also in this case, the 3DS version will have no exclusive characters, all exclusive characters will be on the Wii-U version.

This is my preferred plan. First off, people with expectations of 44-49 characters will almost certainly get at least the minimum of 44, which would satisfy realistic expectations. While it won't make Nintendo/Sora Ltd. the maximum amount of cash, they will still get a bucket load for having a good rosters (And if the game is excellent). And depending on game quality, it will keep the scores at least in the early 90s, which is what the series is renowned for. In this case, rather then feel like an update, it'll be like a game that made the game worth waiting for. The only disadvantage is that the 3DS gets less sales (Due to people thinking it's the inferior version) then the Wii-U version, but both versions will sell more then if we have both rosters the same.

2. Same as before, except lots of exclusives on the 3DS and Wii-U version and being able to transfer 3DS exclusive characters to the Wii-U version. The first plan is preferable, but I would also be in favor of this plan. First off, not only would it be even more likely to fulfill realistic expectations, it makes a 50+ roster (Without transformation) possible. More highly popular requests would get in and people would be more likely to consider getting both the 3DS and Wii-U version, which boost sales of both versions. The only disadvantage of this is that it would cost more money to get the full deal, but I wouldn't rule it out as a good idea.

Here's an example of this idea: (A roster by Cell Junior). Not exactly realistic, but I would love if this idea was implemented.

And here's mine in response: (My roster formed in the same way). Neither mine or Cell Junior's are prediction, but one thing for certain, I approve of this idea and I would love to play in either rosters.

So what that said, I want to get a little discussion going. Tell me your thoughts on what you would like to see:

1. Same roster for the Wii-U and 3DS version.
2. 3DS version being the stripped down version with the Wii-U getting all the exclusives.
3. Lots of exclusives for the 3DS and Wii-U version.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS has 35 reasonably detailed characters and that game is not even on some of the larger game cards. We don't have to worry about roster size or anything. At most, SSB4 on the 3DS will not have background animations as the 3DS version of SF tossed out all the background people (not sure about the Brazil and Africa stages) likely so the game maintains a consistent framerate.

Instead, worry whether or not this game will suck.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You know nothing about the 3DS do you? Why would they need to cut down on the roster when weaker systems have had that many characters in a roster?

D

Deleted member

You know nothing about the 3DS do you? Why would they need to cut down on the roster when weaker systems have had that many characters in a roster?
For one thing, there are numerous stages and items to take into the equation.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
For one thing, there are numerous stages and items to take into the equation.
It's supposedly got a CPU stronger than the wii, so why the **** would that even...

Seriously the 3DS is not so weak that they couldn't just tone down the graphics and pretty much port the exact same ****in' game over.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The 3DS can render better visuals than the Wii AND in 3D, where it's rendering 2 frames at once, thus doing double the work.

Honestly, if 3DS weren't outputting in 3D, it would seriously give PSP Vita serious competion in terms of visuals. Also the flash carts of today have massive capacity, I mean gee small USB flash drives can hold up to 16GB or some ****, so 3DS can hold lots of data in a cart and has a more powerful CPU and GPU than the Wii.

Not really much of a struggle to outdo Brawl, now with Wii U comparison, that's where it's legit.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Man I destroy the **** out of a blog and then Teran finishes it off, where have I seen this before.

"Man, this game doesn't have 40 characters, so even if they took out tripping and made it prettier, **** this game!"

Do you actually think, or do words just kinda flow out of your *** and hit the ground before you can form a solid statement?

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie
What the **** are you two talking about?

Of course the 3DS is going to be less powerful than the Wii. What are you, ****ing crazy? Goddamn. I never read something more ******** than that no how.

Also, of course SSB4 would sell terribly if it didn't have over 40 characters. I mean, the average customer of nintendo is so scrutinizing of their entertainment choices that if there is even one fewer than forty characters in the next SSB, they will write Nintendo a strongly worded letter.

D

Deleted member

KumaOso said:
Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS has 35 reasonably detailed characters and that game is not even on some of the larger game cards. We don't have to worry about roster size or anything. At most, SSB4 on the 3DS will not have background animations as the 3DS version of SF tossed out all the background people (not sure about the Brazil and Africa stages) likely so the game maintains a consistent framerate.

Instead, worry whether or not this game will suck.
I see what you're saying and there are certainly other stuffs that needs to be taken into consideration (I do plan to cover other topics then characters, such as features that needs to go (Tripping for one), online functions, people with too much expectations), but there are some reasons why I wrote this:

- When I thought of the SSB4 Journal series, this immediately came to mind. Coming from someone who isn't expecting much (44 slots), I wanted to get this out of the way so I can focus on other topics regarding SSB4. Granted, a lot of these would be in relations to characters, but not all of them are.

- Personally, I can't really find many faults with any of the Smash Bros. game. Rating each game, I would give 64 and Brawl 9/10 and Melee a 9.5/10 (My opinion). Granted, I'm not one of those people who goes really deep into competitive gameplay, but for Brawl, I believe if the online wasn't terrible, we had less clones, game was slightly faster, unlocking was somewhat of a challenge, and tripping was gone, this game would be near perfect. So as such, since Sakurai said he would learn from his past mistakes, I can easily see him correcting all those problems. Despite my former unreasonable complaining about the Brawl's roster early on (Which I realize was me being unappreciative and not due to being unimpressive), each title had a progressive better character selection and I can say that all three did a very solid job in this regard. As such, with SSB4, I am hoping for absolutely nothing but the best from the franchise and this is more of me saying that both versions need to play to their advantage without compromising the other, roster included.
Falconv1.0 said:
We have to worry about numerous factors:

- A story mode is very likely and if it's on the same scale as Brawl, it will take a lot of space.

- We don't know what card they're going to be using to put in space. The max I know that the 3DS can handle is 8 GB and they won't be just using that for characters. The team may very well be using less. Even if they do use 8 GB, we don't know how close they'll get to filling it.

- This promise a single-player focus. Expect a lot of single-player contents.

- Characters and stages take up a lot. This will surely have at least Melee's graphic if not more so, and they will scale the characters in that game accordingly.

- The game is in 3D and it's physic is different. This isn't Jump Ultimate Stars or a Bleach DS game, they can't put in a bajillion character in Smash 3DS (Not with the Wii-U either, but it can clearly do more then the 3DS).

- 3DS effects will be in. How much will be in is the question, but as this is a Nintendo game, expect it to be involved.

- There has been next to no concrete information on the 3DS version of the game or what we're going to see from it. And if Sakurai isn't exactly crazy about adding as many characters as possible on the 3DS, if he keeps the versions the same, we shouldn't really be hoping for much of an increase if any at all. Worst case scenario is a roster around 30.
King Massakeke said:
The 3DS can render better visuals than the Wii AND in 3D, where it's rendering 2 frames at once, thus doing double the work.

Honestly, if 3DS weren't outputting in 3D, it would seriously give PSP Vita serious competion in terms of visuals. Also the flash carts of today have massive capacity, I mean gee small USB flash drives can hold up to 16GB or some ****, so 3DS can hold lots of data in a cart and has a more powerful CPU and GPU than the Wii.

Not really much of a struggle to outdo Brawl, now with Wii U comparison, that's where it's legit.
I've only heard the 3DS card can handle up to 8 GB. Show me it can do otherwise. Also, why would a handheld outperform a current console? That defeats the purpose of having a Wii. I could easily see something like that cost $350 or more.
Arbuckle said:
Also, of course SSB4 would sell terribly if it didn't have over 40 characters. I mean, the average customer of nintendo is so scrutinizing of their entertainment choices that if there is even one fewer than forty characters in the next SSB, they will write Nintendo a strongly worded letter.
This is why I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, it's not good for Nintendo or it's fans, but I still have a terrible feeling it could happen.

Also, before bringing up Super Street Fighter IV 3D, remember that the game is not a perfect port of the 360 and PS3 version (Although still impressive for what they did). As KumaOso said, background people are not moving, visuals received a slight reduction, and a few modes had to be taken out.

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie
This is why I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, it's not good for Nintendo or it's fans, but I still have a terrible feeling it could happen.

Also, before bringing up Super Street Fighter IV 3D, remember that the game is not a perfect port of the 360 and PS3 version (Although still impressive for what they did). As KumaOso said, background people are not moving, visuals received a slight reduction, and a few modes had to be taken out.
I know, right? Nintendo would probably end up losing money if they had less than 40 characters. I mean, it'd be like if Activision cut a few guns or useless killsteaks (not streaks) from the next Medal of Duty: Modern Combat, or whatever you hooligans are calling it. Or even if they had a shorter and shorter singleplayer campaign. I mean, ****, who would even buy that if Activision put that out?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I like how you missed Arbuckle's sarcasm by a mile. Also how you're commenting on what they'll have to do without even knowing how hard it would be for them to just downgrade graphics and ****. Not to mention something about Sakurai's stance on it makes it sound like the 3DS isn't going to just be a port or whatever the ****.

Either way you're insinuation that it needs to have over 40 characters or people won't get it, that's ****ing lulz. Seriously is with people who know nothing about tech/business related **** posting opinions on it? Like the mother****ers who claimed Brawl had such a bad reception (deeerrrrp) that Nintendo might cringe at making another one.

You know, MvC3 has less characters than 2, just saying.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've only heard the 3DS card can handle up to 8 GB. Show me it can do otherwise. Also, why would a handheld outperform a current console? That defeats the purpose of having a Wii. I could easily see something like that cost $350 or more.
Wait, okay, I can somewhat understand the whole "People won't buy it if there aren't more than 40 characters" argument (it's ridiculous to insinuate that people are going to refrain from buying another Smash game, but I can understand how you'd come to that conclusion), but are you really saying that the 3DS isn't more powerful than the Wii just because it doesn't make sense?

The Wii was two GameCubes duct taped together, I thought everyone knew this. With the Wii having as little power as it does, the handheld of the next generation outperforming it makes perfect sense.

Also, to say that the 3DS being that powerful defeats the purpose of owning a Wii makes no sense. That's like saying that because the 360 is more powerful than the Wii, it defeats the purpose of having the Wii, except even worse because there are even more differences between handheld gaming and console gaming, not to mention the games available for each.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wait **** I kinda skimmed over his post because it was giving my eyes cancer.

He said the 3DS can't be more powerful than a-are you seriously-I'm gonna ****ing...

OP, u don't know anything about console or handheld specs. Like at all. You see how fast phones tech up? **** that used to be in a giant ****in' box can now fit in your goddamn hand, technology moves fast. The wii was already dated as ****, the 3DS is more on par with the xbox/ps3 than the wii is for the love of God.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
- We don't know what card they're going to be using to put in space. The max I know that the 3DS can handle is 8 GB and they won't be just using that for characters.
Brawl was done on an 8.5GB max disk. Not just that, but because it was on TV it had to ouput everything at higher resolutions, which means more data on the disk which ultimately means less stuff.

I actually can't believe you're saying "only" 8GB, when that's just 500MB less than Brawl's max. Pretty sure compression techniques have improved, but hey that doesn't matter when everything rendered can be done at LOWER RESOLUTION.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think the good old fashioned saying "quit while you're behind" works perfectly here.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Also it's funny but Ocarina 3DS kinda proved one thing to me in showing 3DS' superiority to the Wii (never mind the fact it's rendering 2 frames at once and it still looks better anyway).

The floor of the Temple of Time has a very glossy, reflective polished tile surface, and it's being rendered in realtime.

It's not exactly mind boggling obviously considering this has been done on PC since ike a decade ago, but I still can't remember a single Wii game (and I have all the prettiest ones trust me), that actually utilise high quality realitme reflections like that.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I like the idea but why can't we have the same rosters and big rosters on both platforms? It's not impossible. The 3ds is a new system so we really haven't seen what it can handle.

Baten Katos people for both systems!

Snuc

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=4396]My SSB4 Journal: Why the rosters needs to be different for the 3DS and Wii-U version.[/drupal]

That's why I'm against this and that's why I think it'll be illogical for Sakurai to do this to his fans.
lololololololol

What fans?

D

Deleted member

"Firus said:
The Wii was two GameCubes duct taped together, I thought everyone knew this. With the Wii having as little power as it does, the handheld of the next generation outperforming it makes perfect sense.

Also, to say that the 3DS being that powerful defeats the purpose of owning a Wii makes no sense. That's like saying that because the 360 is more powerful than the Wii, it defeats the purpose of having the Wii, except even worse because there are even more differences between handheld gaming and console gaming, not to mention the games available for each.The Wii was two GameCubes duct taped together, I thought everyone knew this. With the Wii having as little power as it does, the handheld of the next generation outperforming it makes perfect sense.
- The Wii is actually over twice the power of the Gamecube.

- The difference between the 360 and Wii comparison is this: You don't necessarily need the most powerful hardware to have a quality experience on the console, if you're only comparing consoles. See: NES and PS2. If the handheld is more powerful, it makes the console look weak and very unattractive. Why would you buy a Wii if you could get the 3DS if the handheld is more powerful then the console?
lololololololol

What fans?
Regardless of your opinion on Brawl, the vast majority of fans enjoy the game. It is among Nintendo's most respected franchise and one of the best it has to offer.
Yeah! Everyone in the world hates brawl!!!! Shut the **** up.
I actually thought Brawl was an excellent great and did most everything right with the obvious exception of online. Roster, music, stages, mostly great single-player mode, and a fantastic multi-player experience.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I liked the part where Smash Bros Fan is all humble about his ideas, and everyone else is being a superfluous plague that can't hold their **** together. With a few exceptions (*cough* NliM8d *cough*)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

- The difference between the 360 and Wii comparison is this: You don't necessarily need the most powerful hardware to have a quality experience on the console, if you're only comparing consoles. See: NES and PS2. If the handheld is more powerful, it makes the console look weak and very unattractive.
Yeah so? Deal with it, 3DS is stronger, bro. Like, there's nothing to ****ing argue here.

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie

- The difference between the 360 and Wii comparison is this: You don't necessarily need the most powerful hardware to have a quality experience on the console, if you're only comparing consoles. See: NES and PS2. If the handheld is more powerful, it makes the console look weak and very unattractive. Why would you buy a Wii if you could get the 3DS if the handheld is more powerful then the console?

Regardless of your opinion on Brawl...
The Wii looks weak in the first place, but it still sells really well, I assume. What are we even arguing over here?

And I think you mean, "irregardless."

D

Deleted member

[quote="Arbuckle']What are we even arguing over here?[/quote]What I'm trying to say is that even if the 3DS is more powerful then the Wii, I heavily doubt with an universal roster that SSB4 will get over 40 slots. With the many factors to take into account plus the possibility that Sakurai will not properly compress the game to give SSB4 a mid 40s character roster slot, I cannot see many people with expectations of 44-49 slots being happy with the final results, which the Wii-U can easily handle.

Also, less character slots means less stages, which means less music, which in turn, drives down sales due to less content overall. A less than 40 slot roster will affect more then just how many characters you can play with.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Also, less character slots means less stages, which means less music, which in turn, drives down sales due to less content overall. A less than 40 slot roster will affect more then just how many characters you can play with.
Actually. This part I don't agree with. I believe that yes, quantity would seem to encourage a greater gaming experience, but I also can see games I still play; that had a short number of characters, levels. It's not always about quantity nor quality. It's about how it was executed. A game doesn't have to have a party ball full of surprises. Everything boils down to opinion. In most cases your idea of making sales is true, other cases it's not. Don't state it as if it's fact :p There are all kinds of ways to get people hooked on a game. ^^

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo made a revolutionary console in the Wii, and although it lacks online, DVD and Blu-Ray playing capabilities, and third-party titles, it still sold the most and Microsoft and Sony are now using all their resources to making crappy motion control copies of the Wii controls. Nintendo needs to make improvements with the Wii U though. They need to make a better online console. I rarely play my Wii, and when I do, I play single player games, Brawl's offline multiplayer aside. When I play my 360 or PS3, I play online games most of the time. I also play them much more often, and I have far more many games, most of them 3rd party games.

If the Wii U could get more solid non-gimmicky 3rd party games and a comprehensive online system (die lag die!), as well as 7th generation (or 8th) graphics, the Wii U could build on the Wii's success. Also, for the love of God can we get some more challenging single player games?

More games with random tripping and tripping more often and more deadly would be often.

:phone:

:phone:

D

Deleted member

@Johnknight1: I am absolutely sure that we'll see at better online service that will meet most people's expectations because of Nintendo's promise to dramatically improve their online system. While I'm not expecting XBL/PSN-level of quality, I can see them getting close if not as good as these services without us having to pay for them. Also, looking at what we've got confirmed so far in terms of games for the Wii-U, I think third-party support will increase from that of the Wii, although unfortunately, no DVD/Blu-Ray support.

BTW, you might want to join Fatmanonice's online group called Operation: Connect. Look at my signature, click on that, and join. I'd love to see what you come up with to improve Smash's online.
Actually. This part I don't agree with. I believe that yes, quantity would seem to encourage a greater gaming experience, but I also can see games I still play; that had a short number of characters, levels. It's not always about quantity nor quality. It's about how it was executed. A game doesn't have to have a party ball full of surprises. Everything boils down to opinion. In most cases your idea of making sales is true, other cases it's not. Don't state it as if it's fact :p There are all kinds of ways to get people hooked on a game. ^^
I understand this part and I know this doesn't always translate to sales (Which is why I think the developers goal should be to have a balanced 40-49 slot roster that is better then that of Brawl's), nor am I expecting 20+ newcomers and 55+ slots, but the main selling point of the Super Smash Bros. series is the ability to play with Nintendo characters from all walks of gaming history (With a few guests thrown into the mix as of Brawl), which is the main reason why me and many other Smash fans play the game in the first place and I'd like for SSB4 to keep that emphasis alive as the previous three games have successfully done. Putting in 40-49 slots is enough to keep it alive and will likely prevent the developers from having to push the restart button like Marvel Vs. Capcom and Mortal Kombat had to do. Failing to do so will discourage people from even giving the game a chance, overlooking other potentially great stuffs like online play and better multi-player functions, and I want this to be the best Smash game possible, not just in terms of roster, but also in other factors.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Putting in 40-49 slots is enough to keep it alive and will likely prevent the developers from having to push the restart button like Marvel Vs. Capcom and Mortal Kombat had to do.
That makes no sense at all. MvC3 has less characters than the previous game because they already had too ****ing many and they actually tried to balance them in 3, not to mention they weren't working with sprites anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rosters were different, but your reasons are ****ing silly, and show a lack of knowledge about, derp, anything. If you can't even concede to ****ing facts, like the 3DS being stronger than the Wii, why should anyone even listen to your opinions?

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I understand this part and I know this doesn't always translate to sales (Which is why I think the developers goal should be to have a balanced 40-49 slot roster that is better then that of Brawl's), nor am I expecting 20+ newcomers and 55+ slots, but the main selling point of the Super Smash Bros. series is the ability to play with Nintendo characters from all walks of gaming history (With a few guests thrown into the mix as of Brawl), which is the main reason why me and many other Smash fans play the game in the first place and I'd like for SSB4 to keep that emphasis alive as the previous three games have successfully done. Putting in 40-49 slots is enough to keep it alive and will likely prevent the developers from having to push the restart button like Marvel Vs. Capcom and Mortal Kombat had to do. Failing to dos so will discourage people from even giving the game a chance, overlooking other potentially great stuffs like online play and better multi-player functions, and I want this to be the best Smash game possible, not just in terms of roster, but also in other factors.
That post was pertaining to what you said about sales. I do agree full heartedly on the rest you have aforementioned.. ^^

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie
What I'm trying to say is that even if the 3DS is more powerful then the Wii, I heavily doubt with an universal roster that SSB4 will get over 40 slots. With the many factors to take into account plus the possibility that Sakurai will not properly compress the game to give SSB4 a mid 40s character roster slot, I cannot see many people with expectations of 44-49 slots being happy with the final results, which the Wii-U can easily handle.

Brawl had 35 characters. 3DS is more powerful than the Wii. WiiU is far more powerful than the Wii. Why are you so insistent that SSB4 will have under 40 characters? And why are you so convinced that that would drive sales down? Even if it was the exact same set of characters from Brawl, only with new stages n **** with better graphics, it would still sell very well. It's one of nintendo's bigger franchises.

And Alien Vision, he did not use regardless properly, and irregardless is in fact a word.

D

Deleted member

That makes no sense at all. MvC3 has less characters than the previous game because they already had too ****ing many and they actually tried to balance them in 3, not to mention they weren't working with sprites anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rosters were different, but your reasons are ****ing silly, and show a lack of knowledge about, derp, anything. If you can't even concede to ****ing facts, like the 3DS being stronger than the Wii, why should anyone even listen to your opinions?
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 had over 50 characters and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon had 62 (63 on the Wii); both of which had unbalanced rosters. They were on 6th gen system. SSB4 will be on the Wii-U and I am asking for only 44 characters with proper balancing and the newcomers being good. I consider this a gradual increase which the Super Smash Bros. series has been doing and it leaves room for more newcomers. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was a huge jump from it's predecessor and so was Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. Sora Ltd. does not have to just throw in characters to increase the roster, doing a gradual increase over time makes it much less likely for the team to have to reduce it later on.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds had an excuse for reduce it due to balancing issues and not using sprites. The Super Smash Bros. series has never had a game with balancing issues even close to that of MvC2, so they have no excuse for keeping the roster under 40.

Also, I did not create this blog to look good on my resume, I did it because I wanted to share my thoughts on something that could potentially affect how much people play and enjoy SSB4. If you don't like my opinions, I will not change it for you just because of that.
Brawl had 35 characters. 3DS is more powerful than the Wii. WiiU is far more powerful than the Wii. Why are you so insistent that SSB4 will have under 40 characters? And why are you so convinced that that would drive sales down? Even if it was the exact same set of characters from Brawl, only with new stages n **** with better graphics, it would still sell very well. It's one of nintendo's bigger franchises.
- Because of the possibility of universal roster, of Sakurai not properly compressing SSB4 3DS version, and his conservative manner in handling the roster. I do not think that Sakurai is going to try to balance as many characters as he can to reach at least a mid 40s roster if universal roster exist and would continue his conservative approach to it. If the rosters are different, 40-49 slots could be considered conservative, if we get universal roster, he would consider less then 40 conservative.

- The main reason why I think sales would go down is because the main reason why people buy the games are because of the characters. Granted, other factors do contribute, but if not for the fact that this game emphasize on having Nintendo characters fight against one another (With a few guests), it would not have garnered the success it's gotten in the first place. A less than 40 slot roster would upset many fans and would be heavily discouraged from trying the game.

And no, just giving it pretty graphics and more stages is not enough to make it nearly as successful as Melee or Brawl, especially with Brawl's laggy online. The game may sell a few millions based off the name, but most people would be discouraged from trying it and the game would never reach the level of Melee's or Brawl's in importance to the gaming industry. Also remember that this game will likely be the biggest Super Smash Bros. game yet, so making a costly decision like that may cause them to lose money. Sora Ltd. is going to want to extract maximum profit. The best way to do that is not only provide an excellent new Super Smash Bros. that does something different, but also have a balanced 40-49 slot roster with good newcomer choices. And with the technology of the Wii-U, that should not be a nightmare to do.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 had over 50 characters and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon had 62 (63 on the Wii); both of which had unbalanced rosters. They were on 6th gen system. SSB4 will be on the Wii-U and I am asking for only 44 characters with proper balancing and the newcomers being good. I consider this a gradual increase which the Super Smash Bros. series has been doing and it leaves room for more newcomers. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was a huge jump from it's predecessor and so was Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. Sora Ltd. does not have to just throw in characters to increase the roster, doing a gradual increase over time makes it much less likely for the team to have to reduce it later on.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds had an excuse for reduce it due to balancing issues and not using sprites. The Super Smash Bros. series has never had a game with balancing issues even close to that of MvC2, so they have no excuse for keeping the roster under 40.
Didn't really address my point at all but sure. They don't even care about balance to begin with, over 40 is already kind of a ****ing lot, one more game and by your standards they would have to 'reset'. Derp. But why you even brought it up makes even less sense to me, it doesn't make your incredibly silly original post any less silly.

Also, you see, when you make blog posts that center very strongly on the 3DS being too weak to do something and then show extreme ignorance as to how powerful the 3DS is, I think you really oughtta work on that bit before you start going everywhere else with this ****. Seriously, I try to address the OP and now you're just trying to ignore everything you ever even said about the 3DS, which was a big part of your ****ing post!

1. Have the 3DS roster be cut down to 25-35 characters slots while SSB4 has a roster ranging from 44-50 characters slots. This means fans will have to accept less characters, stages, etc. on the 3DS version while the Wii-U version is the real deal. Also in this case, the 3DS version will have no exclusive characters, all exclusive characters will be on the Wii-U version.
So you want the 3DS version to have less **** with absolutely nothing going for it to make it stand out, even though Sakurai seems to, you know, not want to do that. Doh'kay.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
^ This guy is interesting. I've never seen so many stars! I wonder how many stars I would see if he were to come across my blog. Power to the *'s!

Top Bottom