• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner Presents: Captain Falcon Infinite Combo

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Smash 4 in general will be the death of smash at EVO. Slow gameplay + Timeouts + Customs (which people are allowed to take their sweet time setting up before EACH and EVERY match) + Fighting game players already think that MELEE is a slow paced game..... yeah.

RIP Smash @ Evo.
Smash will always be at EVO.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
I KNEW that custom was secretly broken. Any thing that stuns needs to be nerfed to the ground.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Smash will always be at EVO.
No, it won't. It got dropped before, and it will get dropped again. For the reasons I stated in my other post. We are going to be a laughing stock (pun intended) because of how lame & gay smash 4 competitive play is.

Also, EVO can't continue to host melee since it's really really old now, and EVO always deals with the newest versions of fighting games. Smash isn't even technically a fighting game, we're lucky to be there at all.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Smash 4 in general will be the death of smash at EVO. Slow gameplay + Timeouts + Customs (which people are allowed to take their sweet time setting up before EACH and EVERY match) + Fighting game players already think that MELEE is a slow paced game..... yeah.

RIP Smash @ Evo.
Why should we care about what the rest of the FGC elitists think of Smash? They're not going to change their mind about Smash even if Melee was the only game at EVO.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
No, it won't. It got dropped before, and it will get dropped again. For the reasons I stated in my other post. We are going to be a laughing stock (pun intended) because of how lame & gay smash 4 competitive play is.

Also, EVO can't continue to host melee since it's really really old now, and EVO always deals with the newest versions of fighting games. Smash isn't even technically a fighting game, we're lucky to be there at all.
Nice opinion bro. You're forgetting that Sm4sh is getting tons of viewers and succeeding as a spectator sport. If you're talking about customs, that's EVO's own fault for having them on. They'll be illegal after EVO is done, trust me.

Smash 4 is no Brawl though. It will definitely be on EVO for years to come.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
the problem about this infinite is that Falcon needs to be close to his target much like the rest of his big moves.. any competent zoner will make it difficult for that to happen, especially if they find out this falcon's packing the special that makes it happen.

here's an experiment... host a bunch of customs tourneys and find out for sure just how many attempt this. if enough people win with it, THEN we worry... otherwise, bah.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Instead of these bull**** custom moves that stun the guy forever, could we not just have less ****ing lag on aerials and make shielding / rolling weaker? Would be better than this boring ass lame play.

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
The music from my favorite game...

Oh, er, it's about Smash, right.

More proof that customs are dumb, and that's what makes the game fun and I fully support them.

Last edited:

SaviWG¤

Smash Lord
NNID
rectortion
ISN'T CAPTAIN FALCON A LITTLE OP IN THE FIRST PLACE? HIM HAVING AN IFINITE COMBO CAN REALLY UP HIS GAME!

#CF2STRONG
#BETTERNERFGRENINJA

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Falcon isn't that op of course there's no hard counters on him but there are still characters with good match ups against him

Customs not being in FG was probably so there isn't any backlash from the community because Nintendo didn't know if people woild welcome custom moves

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
I I think it's pretty clear that the main balancing team didn't put as much focus into them as they did with regular moves. That's why they're not allowed online. Sakurai himself said at e3 last year that "in order to keep balance...you won't be able to use them online." Plus customs are rarely touched upon, if ever, when a new patch rolls out.
Please stop repeating this BS. The reason custom moves aren't allowed on For Glory is because they didn't want new players getting confused by moves they hadn't unlocked yet. And customs have been changed in every major patch.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Instead of these bull**** custom moves that stun the guy forever, could we not just have less ****ing lag on aerials and make shielding / rolling weaker? Would be better than this boring *** lame play.
Rolls aren't a problem. I would love to see smooth lander applied to all the characters as that would speed up the game and allow more interesting chains without adding in L-Cancelling. Shields are strong in this game but mainly because of the non existing shieldstun as the other attributes such as the durability is the weakest in the series.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Man this is ancient history that this channel is capitalizing on. We on the Falcon boards have known of this for a very long time now.

MxM_Prime

Smash Rookie
I find it pretty funny to see how so many people just say ''OMG Customs are broken, customs are not competitively fair, let's ban customs'' while you could simply ban the use of infinites in a tournament (as in a tournament rule) and wait for patching to happen. Its not fair to ban ALL customs if only a few of them cause trouble. That is like saying ''Oh this guy and that guy from X race cause us trouble, lets just punish the whole X race in this country. It makes no sense.

Confirm-OKT

Smash Rookie
Reading the comments and laughing at the hysteria people are trying to invoke. I think some people need to go out to weeklies more and try things out for themselves.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Rolls aren't a problem. I would love to see smooth lander applied to all the characters as that would speed up the game and allow more interesting chains without adding in L-Cancelling. Shields are strong in this game but mainly because of the non existing shieldstun as the other attributes such as the durability is the weakest in the series.
Or... they could just bring L cancelling back. It made smash more fun to have a higher technical skill barrier to seperate good players from not so good players, and eliminating landing lag by being good at L cancelling is a very rewarding feeling.

Honnestly in smash 4 I don't miss wavedashing as much as I miss L cancelling.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
ISN'T CAPTAIN FALCON A LITTLE OP IN THE FIRST PLACE? HIM HAVING AN IFINITE COMBO CAN REALLY UP HIS GAME!

#CF2STRONG
#BETTERNERFGRENINJA
He is high tier at best
Or... they could just bring L cancelling back. It made smash more fun to have a higher technical skill barrier to seperate good players from not so good players, and eliminating landing lag by being good at L cancelling is a very rewarding feeling.

Honnestly in smash 4 I don't miss wavedashing as much as I miss L cancelling.
L cancelling felt like an artificial way to create a skill barrier that is not needed when he could just lower the recovery frames for all moves. Wavedashing on the other hand is a great way to introduce a skill barrier without feeling like an unnecessary tacked on technique.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
L cancelling felt like an artificial way to create a skill barrier that is not needed when he could just lower the recovery frames for all moves. Wavedashing on the other hand is a great way to introduce a skill barrier without feeling like an unnecessary tacked on technique.
A lot of people seem to think this way, and it's a pretty valid point but I just can't agree with it.

I guess it's my inner smash "snob" side, I liked that if I went to play with casual players in melee or 64 I would ridiculously dominate them because they didnt know about L cancelling (I've been playing smash since it came out and Isai literally blew my mind with his combo videos in 64 so I learned about Z cancelling in 64 early on)

I get that it's annoying for some people because when would you NOT want to L cancel a move?

But I felt it rewarding to learn the technique and go from 2-3 hit combos on over to 10-12 hit combos in 64 thanks to Z cancelling giving you ZERO lag (it was a glitch in 64 technically)

It would be really cool if there was a PM style mod of smash 4 one day. It would probably be the best smash game if it had all the great characters + melee's engine. But that's lightyears away, or may never happen at all :(

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Man this is ancient history that this channel is capitalizing on. We on the Falcon boards have known of this for a very long time now.
That is true but they aren't really aiming at giving Captain Falcon players that are in the competitive scene
A lot of people seem to think this way, and it's a pretty valid point but I just can't agree with it.

I guess it's my inner smash "snob" side, I liked that if I went to play with casual players in melee or 64 I would ridiculously dominate them because they didnt know about L cancelling (I've been playing smash since it came out and Isai literally blew my mind with his combo videos in 64 so I learned about Z cancelling in 64 early on)

I get that it's annoying for some people because when would you NOT want to L cancel a move?

But I felt it rewarding to learn the technique and go from 2-3 hit combos on over to 10-12 hit combos in 64 thanks to Z cancelling giving you ZERO lag (it was a glitch in 64 technically)

It would be really cool if there was a PM style mod of smash 4 one day. It would probably be the best smash game if it had all the great characters + melee's engine. But that's lightyears away, or may never happen at all :(
From how Sakurai designed Smash 4 I wouldn't be surprised if the next Smash for the NX would be geared to more hardcore gamers. Brawl was geared towards casual players while Smash 4 was geared towards intermediate level players so perhaps Smash 5 will be a mix of Melee and Smash 4 to appeal to more hardcore smashers. What I would like is to at least see ground to air momentum back and a feature to change the air dodging system in the select screen options. Just imagine all the gameplay possibilities if we can change the airdodgeing system between Default(Brawl/4), no airdodges(64) and Directional Airdodges(Melee)

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
From how Sakurai designed Smash 4 I wouldn't be surprised if the next Smash for the NX would be geared to more hardcore gamers. Brawl was geared towards casual players while Smash 4 was geared towards intermediate level players so perhaps Smash 5 will be a mix of Melee and Smash 4 to appeal to more hardcore smashers. What I would like is to at least see ground to air momentum back and a feature to change the air dodging system in the select screen options. Just imagine all the gameplay possibilities if we can change the airdodgeing system between Default(Brawl/4), no airdodges(64) and Directional Airdodges(Melee)
The problem is that while Sm4sh MAY have been intended for intermediate level players, all Nintendo did was slightly increase the pace. In exchange, they removed every advanced technique they could find, simplified the neutral game as well as followups, effectively removed edgeguarding even moreso than in Brawl, and implemented Rage, possibly the worst mechanic ever to be in a Smash game. Objectively, Brawl seems more suited to be a competitive game. Either Nintendo implying that this game would be the "middle ground" was a bold-faced lie to boost sales, or they simply don't understand the elements of what make a game competitive, and honestly, I don't know which of these answer I hate more.

Ground to air momentum back would be absolutely spectacular, though. This and dashdancing would really help to make the neutral much more complex, as well as more entertaining for viewers.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
The problem is that while Sm4sh MAY have been intended for intermediate level players, all Nintendo did was slightly increase the pace. In exchange, they removed every advanced technique they could find, simplified the neutral game as well as followups, effectively removed edgeguarding even moreso than in Brawl, and implemented Rage, possibly the worst mechanic ever to be in a Smash game. Objectively, Brawl seems more suited to be a competitive game. Either Nintendo implying that this game would be the "middle ground" was a bold-faced lie to boost sales, or they simply don't understand the elements of what make a game competitive, and honestly, I don't know which of these answer I hate more.

Ground to air momentum back would be absolutely spectacular, though. This and dashdancing would really help to make the neutral much more complex, as well as more entertaining for viewers.
With all due respect, Rage being a bad mechanic is debatable. What's not debatable is that the two worst mechanics ever are random tripping and being able to attack/dodge during hitstun.

"Removing edgeguarding even more so than Brawl" is also questionable considering the defender can't renew their invincibility now and you can grab the edge after them to force them off. The defender gets only one shot to get up and a limited amount of time to do so.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

Well said!

Why do you think rage is a bad mechanic? (I've never played smash 4 so I don't know how it works) It seems at least better than tripping if you had to choose one.

Smash 4's marketing is BRILLIANT, it's basically geared towards scrubby players that never bothered to take the time to learn how to play smash melee at a high level and instead chose to john "Well if it werent for fox/wavedashing/shffling/marth chaingrab/etc I would win.. I'm good at smash brothers"

So smash 4, to them, is a chance for that redemption. Now that all the
"broken" techniques are gone, finally they are on an even playing field... or so they think. Sadly, you could take everything except tilts/smash attacks out of the game and a good player would beat a scrub using better spacing. What I'm saying is, you can water down the game all you want, gud players still gonna wreck you.

For glory was the most brilliant scheme, and I believe was inspired by me personally as I came up with the term "Final destination, fox only, no items" which became a gigantic (and very dank) meme which they decided to implement literally (minus the fox only which grinds my gears)

Basically it was sakurai's way of truly f***king the competitive scene. "Oh you like playing without items and having 1v1 battles on neutral stages eh? I'm making a mode just for you guys, enjoy all the 8 year old children and scrubs that will think they are competitive players because of this mode"

Sakurai is basically an evil genius. XD

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
With all due respect, Rage being a bad mechanic is debatable. What's not debatable is that the two worst mechanics ever are random tripping and being able to attack/dodge during hitstun.

"Removing edgeguarding even more so than Brawl" is also questionable considering the defender can't renew their invincibility now and you can grab the edge after them to force them off. The defender gets only one shot to get up and a limited amount of time to do so.
Rant incoming:
Rage is honestly a much worse mechanic than tripping mostly because of the sheer impact of it. I've seen more people lose as a result of Rage in a single tournament than I've seen losses due to tripping in my entire time with Brawl. The game was balanced with Rage in mind, which makes it seem like a reasonable mechanic, but it would have been much better to simply balance the characters properly in the first place without the mechanic.
A common misconception is that since Rage isn't random chance, and doesn't always benefit the losing player, it's a reasonable mechanic. However, the reason random chance is considered bad is because it means the players can't exert a healthy amount of control over the mechanic. Rage is much the same as random chance in this sense, as it gives ever changing advantages and disadvantages to both players, often creating situations where you're punished for hitting the opponent, as well as creating situations where the better player has a lower chance of winning than otherwise. The only way to prevent this is for neither player to attack, which of course isn't an option.

Simply put, much like tripping, players can't exert a healthy amount of control over the mechanic, but the mechanic is much impactful, and whereas tripping generally affected both players equally, Rage usually benefits the weaker player, which in a competitive environment is much worse. Both tripping and Rage create situations where there's a lower chance of the better player winning than otherwise, but Rage has a much, MUCH bigger impact.

In regards to edgeguarding, I think the lack of refreshing ledge invincibility is more than compensated by the removal of edgehogging, certain getup options being much stronger than their older counterparts, and the overall buff the recoveries across the board. An absurd portion of the cast can make it back from the bottom corners.

Doval

Smash Lord
Simply put, much like tripping, players can't exert a healthy amount of control over the mechanic, but the mechanic is much impactful, and whereas tripping generally affected both players equally, Rage usually benefits the weaker player, which in a competitive environment is much worse. Both tripping and Rage create situations where there's a lower chance of the better player winning than otherwise, but Rage has a much, MUCH bigger impact.
No, the weaker player can't benefit from rage as much because he's less prone staying alive at high %s and less prone to good reads.

Rage in no way reduces player agency. Both players are aware of its effects and know when they're at risk of dying because of it. If someone dies because of rage it's his own fault.

Tripping is 100% unpredictable. And no, it doesn't affect both players equally. Not all characters can punish a trip equally well and not all characters are equally affected by being unable to foxtrot or pivot safely either. Even in ditto matches, its effects may oven out over multiple fights but you only get one shot at advancing through the brackets, so the randomness it introduces is very impactful. Noone's going to give you a do-over because you should've won except you tripped.

There's no way you can argue that a mechanic that randomly punishes players for moving on the ground is worse than a mechanic that simply increases knockback. Thanks to tripping being gone, I can dash to pivotted f-tilt or up-tilt as an approach option again.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
No, the weaker player can't benefit from rage as much because he's less prone staying alive at high %s and less prone to good reads.

Rage in no way reduces player agency. Both players are aware of its effects and know when they're at risk of dying because of it. If someone dies because of rage it's his own fault.

Tripping is 100% unpredictable. And no, it doesn't affect both players equally. Not all characters can punish a trip equally well and not all characters are equally affected by being unable to foxtrot or pivot safely either. Even in ditto matches, its effects may oven out over multiple fights but you only get one shot at advancing through the brackets, so the randomness it introduces is very impactful.

There's no way you can argue that a mechanic that randomly punishes players for moving on the ground is worse than a mechanic that simply increases knockback.
Regardless of the lesser player being less likely to get reads, that doesn't mean he's not going to get them at all. We've all died to weaker players getting a good read on us, or even outright bad players just getting a lucky Smash attack. Rage is much more impactful in practice than in theory. Far too many reads in this game are really just 50/50 chances, and of course the better player will generally be winning these, but no one gets the right reads all the time, especially not when it's a simple 50/50 or a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Second, in no way is it someone's fault if they die as a result of generally outplaying their opponent and properly building up percent, only to die because they got grabbed and lost a 50/50 on the airdodge, to die to a move that without Rage would not have killed. We all end up on the wrong side of a read from time to time, but Rage benefits the weaker player more for getting these reads. Knowing how a mechanic functions and when it's going to be a factor does not mean there's a way to outplay the mechanic. Not only that, it's unreasonable to expect players to know the full extent of when Rage is going to be a factor. It can't be expected that a player will intentionally not land a followup because he knows that will put him in kill percent of one of the opponent's easier to land kill moves.

In regards to affecting both players equally, something affecting characters unevenly is entirely another thing than affecting the players unevenly.

Of course tripping is impactful when someone loses as a result of that, but how often does that actually happen? People laugh and yell at losses because of tripping precisely because of rare it is. Rage, on the other hand, is a clear factor, and all too often the deciding factor. As I said earlier, I've seen more losses to Rage in a single tournament than I've seen losses to tripping over my entire Brawl career, streams and videos included. Even if you don't think Rage is worse than tripping, it's a terrible mechanic regardless, and dozens of times more impactful.

Doval

Smash Lord
Second, in no way is it someone's fault if they die as a result of generally outplaying their opponent and properly building up percent, only to die because they got grabbed and lost a 50/50 on the airdodge, to die to a move that without Rage would not have killed.
It is absolutely their fault. How did their % get up there in the first place? You don't "lose to rage", you lose to your opponent. Rage helped, but he got your % up there and you failed to stop him. That's the crux of the matter. Complaining about rage is a cop-out to devalue the opponent's victory or not take responsibility. You say he wouldn't have killed without rage, I say he wouldn't have killed if you have avoided one more hit.

Why don't you make the same argument for stale moves? You can absolutely fail to kill because your kill move wasn't 100% fresh. Or how about the times you would've won if your opponent hadn't taken you to a stage with bigger blast zones? How is rage any worse?

Tripping is not something your opponent does to you or even something you do to yourself. You can absolutely lose to tripping, because neither you or your opponent have any control over when it happens and neither can plan for it. If you trip and lose, it's not because you made a bad move or because your opponent made a good read. It's because the game rolled some dice and decided you should fall.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
It is absolutely their fault. How did their % get up there in the first place? You don't "lose to rage", you lose to your opponent. Rage helped, but he got your % up there and you failed to stop him. That's the crux of the matter. Complaining about rage is a cop-out to devalue the opponent's victory or not take responsibility. You say he wouldn't have killed without rage, I say he wouldn't have killed if you have avoided one more hit.

Why don't you make the same argument for stale moves? You can absolutely fail to kill because your kill move wasn't 100% fresh. How is rage any worse?

Tripping is not something your opponent does to you or even something you do to yourself. You can absolutely lose to tripping, because neither you or your opponent have any control over when it happens and neither can plan for it. If you trip and lose, it's not because you made a bad move or because your opponent made a good read. It's because the game rolled some dice and decided you should fall.
The first scenario is akin to saying "you outplayed him, but you deserve to lose because you didn't outplay him more." Either way, that's a bad thing.

As for stale moves, again, players have a healthy amount of control over the mechanic. Stale moves is a much simpler mechanic, and people where able to realize when a move would or wouldn't kill if they were familiar with the character quite easily. You just have to know what percent the move will kill at and whether or not you've used it recently. In the case of Rage, you have to take into account both player's percentage, the killing power of multiple different moves, know how much percentage affects Rage, and... actually, whether any of these moves are stale or not, so the stale moves mechanic as well. Ultimately, there are far too many factors for people to be expected to fully understand the situation. Not only that, it affect combos much more drastically than stale moves do.

Obviously tripping is a bad mechanic. No one's denying that, but as mentioned earlier, Rage is very similar in that players don't have a reasonable amount of control over that mechanic either. Sure, they much more influence over it than tripping, but influence and control are two very different things. And again, one has a much bigger affect on the game than the other.

Evil Burrito

Smash Cadet
I just love watching Smash Corner videos knowing I'm going to be too lazy to actually try these combos!

Top Bottom