• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Kirby (Tournament Matches from Critical Hit 4.5)

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
not bad. i've never been to a tourny before, but it looks pretty good. learned a few things from this.

d-throw>u-tilt>u-smash works well... or was that u-air?

and i noticed you never swallowcided. i would have done that when i was at 130% or so, but then again, MK is a good edgegaurder against my kirby.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
It was up smash

I Kirbycide sometimes, but not against characters with good recover as if they know how to get out of it, I can get punished for it.

Still, I think if they know what you're doing they can get out of it, same with doing the f-smash instead of u-tilt in the normal Gonzo combo, but its good against people who don't have alot of Kirby experience.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
It was up smash

I Kirbycide sometimes, but not against characters with good recover as if they know how to get out of it, I can get punished for it.
wait... wut?:confused:

so you mean people that can jump>aerial>jump>aerial ect. after they come out of the black hole in kirby's belly?

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Basically, if they do get out, its not Melee where Kirby gets all his jumps back, I will be near the bottom of the stage with few jumps left. They might too, but MK has better recovery than Kirby meaning while I'm trying to recover he may gimp me, I don't try to Kirbycide characters like MK or R.O.B.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I actually Kirbycided Mister_E in teams, we fought in teams too.

Kirbyciding works but it isn't that fun, lol

Also I think we should take this discussion to PM instead of posting like every 5 mins here lol

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
both players werent "that" good so they deserved to get two stocked but you overall game play is really tight and solid + consistent. hmmmmmm my advice is work on pivot grabs they ****ing **** **** so yeah pviot grabs.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
guy above me ^ dont think these vids are here to judge poyo's opponents

Awsome kirby I learned alot from this.
maybe try erm not abusing fsmash that much?
Use ftilt instead.
Those time Mr. E coulda been dead eailer but fsmash was fresh
D:

But still awsome kirby lol

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
First Match:

- You should've gotten pika's power; then you force pika to stop spamming it.

- Bair cancels out thunder jolt.

- You could've smash DI'd out of pika's dsmash, but I guess you knew that (you did it the second time, but not the first).

- I would've used stone a few times instead of dair when you were offstage, probably would've killed pika
quicker. Maybe that's just me, though.

- You also don't use bair enough. Bair=win.:)

- Nice finish.

Second Match:

- I would've used stone after you escaped that first whorenado, but I'm not sure if that would've worked.

- As I think you discovered, MK can punish Kirby's whorenado. I only use it for recovery or to tack on a few more percent (but I always make sure they don't get caught in it).

- Your FFnair mindgames=win.:)

- I would've used a u-throw instead of the d-throw when he was at 130 some %. It might've killed him.

- Nice finish. Again.

Just a few more things. I saw no dtilt in either of those matches, could've been good setups. As people have said, less fsmash. You need to use more tilts. Also, with those fsmash combos; you probably know that the fsmash can be angled, right? Something you probably didn't know was that angling it changed the damage and knockback. Not angling it does 15%. Angling it upward does 16%, but with less knockback. Angling it downwards does 14%, but with more knockback (and the knockback is like a semi-spike). So angle it upwards for racking up damage (Fthrow->Uair->Fsmash), but when you go in for the kill, angle it downwards.

This looks like a lot, but believe me, you're better than most people I critique. Better than me, too.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I don't spam the F-smash but I do use it when I think it will kill, but if it doesn't kill once, it won't kill until later, moves just get staled too fast.

I tried to d-tilt once but it got spotdodged. I use my tilts quite a bit, u-tilt anyway. I try to use my tilts but I move alot so you kinda have to stay still to tilt so in a way its kinda predictable, I use them when I can, but I mainly use my bairs and fairs.

If someone has decent DI (which I don't think the MK did lol, the first kill lol) it will normally be until 150% that it'll kill, but yeah, I should've. He had bad DI lol. I should replace the excessive f-smashes with bairs though, I don't think I spammed it, but bairs would've been better in some occasions I suppose, plus it might get me off-stage to lead to a dair.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Yeah, it wasn't smart lol, but in a match, unless you're pro, you'll make a few mistakes lol

Airdodging to the ground wasn't smart lol

F-SMASH TO THE FACE!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Pummel when you grab: not just when you're going for grab release, but pummel at least once or twice when you're doing a throw. Nice offstage game, and stuff. I agree that taking Pikachu's power would have been useful.

You're really good, I'll add more later gotta go -_-

T-nuts

Smash Ace
i only watched the second one but you do seem quite good. the main critique by far that popped into my head was, "man, that MK hasnt used shuttle loop once. doesnt he know its mk's best move?" lol overall you whupped his butt. someone needs to tell that guy to use shuttle loop.

my comments on your kirby:
--nice use of nado to get back on the stage. by matches end he was expecting it though, and thats how he got his only kill. its a great technique just be sure to mix it up.
--nice use of stone when he was gliding (even though you missed, it was a good move)
--once i saw you use dsmash after a spotdodge, and you got punished for it by mk's downsmash. kirby's dsmash really isnt fast enough to use out of a spot dodge, even if youre going for a kill. use utilt instead.
--use dash attack some. I've played my friends mk so many times now that I know this is going to happen, but when mk uses tornado and retreats at the end to avoid getting punished, his lag on landing is like, nonexistant, and he is going to spotdodge your approach. use dash attack to capitalize on this.
--oh yeah also great job when he was dtiliting you, you clearly knew he was going for the trip --> grab, and you countered accordingly.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
MD/VA is too good and I'm MD, thats why I'm good lol
quoted for truth...man I'm so jealous. I have NOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDYYYYYYY to play where I live, which is why I can't improve. Wifi is awful.

I really think I'd be much, much better if I had at least two competent players near me to practice with, but alas, the Florida/MD/VA/CA/NY players will always be better :[

someone needs to tell that guy to use shuttle loop.
No they don't, the more incompetent MKs out there, the better.

-Watching the MK match right now...so far so good. You know fsmash outprioritizes his Tornado, right? 1:34 was the perfect time to use it for an easy KO.

You did really well. You're very good...I hate to say it, but that MK was terrible. If you didn't two (or possibly even three) stock him I would've been disappointed :p Why is someone like him in a tourney like CH?

Isn't it like, a really big tourney with tons of good players? :/

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Yeah, but its Brawl, scrubs show up at every tourney, wow I won a money match against some spammy Falco by playing how I would play in friendlies and my Kirby is usually GOD AWFUL in friendlies

He actually beat me the second match, but the second match, I decided to tone it down a lil bit lol, if someone isn't good, I don't have motivation to try against them (my brother who is usually my only practice isn't very good so I rarely play Kirby against him, even if I did which I sometimes do I would/do badly cause my Kirby is only good if I try). Third match, I didn't feel like trying so I just 2-stocked him with my own MK. I was a bit spammy with Up-B but he was spammy with down-smash, that and he needed to know MK had an amazing Up-B lol

I didn't post that match here cause this is the Kirby, not MK boards lol

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
More of a question than a comment. How safe is d-air into anything (in this case F-smash)? Can't they shield before you follow up or there's enough hit stun there. If not I'm assuming it's more of a surprise follow up then.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
If you dair them, they are in hit stun so if they don't shield/spotdodge you have a pretty much guarunteed F-smash, although sometimes it sends them backwards it does to me sometimes so I often f-smash forward and miss (I need to know my dair's physics better lol). Also if they shield, it doesn't neccarily mean they'll get out of it, as its animation slows down (a little I think) they may release they're shield early and then get dair'd to lead into the f-smash or sometimes if they're shield is too small already you'll start hitting them. Dair to f-smash is too good.

Although if they have Kirby experience be a little careful, its a follow up often, Kirby's f-smash is pretty fast (for a smash attack, in fact he has the best f-smash in the game).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
More of a question than a comment. How safe is d-air into anything (in this case F-smash)? Can't they shield before you follow up or there's enough hit stun there. If not I'm assuming it's more of a surprise follow up then.
Dair->ftilt is really safe. Dash grabbing or dash attack work well too.

dair->fsmash is safe if it causes them to trip, or if their damage is fairly high so that they bounce. Most of the time, however, they can shield your fsmash, and then punish it.

Kirby's f-smash is pretty fast (for a smash attack, in fact he has the best f-smash in the game).
I wouldn't say best...sure it has great priority, startup speed, and knockback, but it is so incredibly easy to punish if they block it.

MK's fsmash has a fairly slow startup...but have you ever tried punishing it? It's pretty much impossible, since it has NO ending lag. *sigh*

haha my bad, you're right
I played Mero15's MK today, and he reminded me of why MK is broken.

It was ladder...I lost to his ZSS first game (we went even first two stocks...we would KO each other at 0% to even it up) but then third game I did fthrow->uair->jump dair off the stage, except wifi caused my jump to not be read so I just daired to my death at like 0%. It was pretty depressing.

Second game I beat his Donkey Kong on Brinstar.

Third game his MK 3-stocked me on Smashville, with mass Shuttle Loop spam.

I was like wth that must have been a fluke so I played him some more....almost every game went down to 1 stock, but he still won. I can't believe how many gimps he got, it was ridiculous.

MK is most definitely broken. Unpunishable moves, moves that come out instantly, moves that make him invincible or almost invincible, amazing gimping and recovery. *siiiiggghhhh*

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Third game his MK 3-stocked me on Smashville, with mass Shuttle Loop spam.
I dunno what they were thinking when they made shuttle loop. invincibility frames on startup, which is instantaneous, and then the move is unpunishable. ********!

and listen to this BS. I was playing my good friends MK in some friendlies, and I was using marth (just for fun! kirby is mah boi, i swear!) Anyway, we are near each other and this is the order of events:

1. I begin my fsmash at him.
2. right before the blade hits him, several frames into my fsmash, he uses shuttle loop.
3. the blade of my fsmash hits him, and does no damage because shuttle loop makes you invincible. ********!
4. his shuttle loop hits me.

I think I literally paused the game, looked at him, and was like "WTF"

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah... MK wasn't banned because ... bias? lawl the back roomers like to win easy money while making the game trash?

Seriously though, whenever I start to think "the backroom made the right choice in stating that MK is not worthy of a ban" someone reminds me of what BULLSH- he really is. It's frustrating to lose to crappy MKs just because they have a far better moveset and capabilities than me. Not to mention that this stream of "crappy MKs that win anyway" has no end.

On topic: so i herd u liek mudkips, Kawaii Poyo.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
MK really doesn't win that many tourneys.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
You're very good, way to **** up that MK, I'm stealing that u-tilt u-smash.

I think you use downthrow too much at medium percents, most characters can fall on you with a n-air before you recover.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Its a Good Killing option against Noobz that don't DI. If the character DI's away from the Dair, he will land far enough for the FSmash to whiff or to be able to shield it.

If your gonna Dair FSmash, do it at like 130%+ for the reason Asdioh said. In any other case it would be best to Ftilt.

If you dair them, they are in hit stun so if they don't shield/spotdodge you have a pretty much guarunteed F-smash, although sometimes it sends them backwards it does to me sometimes so I often f-smash forward and miss (I need to know my dair's physics better lol). Also if they shield, it doesn't neccarily mean they'll get out of it, as its animation slows down (a little I think) they may release they're shield early and then get dair'd to lead into the f-smash or sometimes if they're shield is too small already you'll start hitting them. Dair to f-smash is too good.

Although if they have Kirby experience be a little careful, its a follow up often, Kirby's f-smash is pretty fast (for a smash attack, in fact he has the best f-smash in the game).
Mis information^

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
Word to what you just typed.

You're good. Everything I would have said has been said so...yah...

How did you place by the way?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
****... Very good Kirby. It felt like you were neglecting some of your tilts, but it worked out for you, so whatever.

Maybe a few too many F-smashes, and Dairs (It could have been easily punished... if the opponent were able to read you (which is no fault of the opponent. You're VERY unpredictable I found.))
Basically, what everyone says applies. Great job!
Personally, I play a little more defensively, but then, I'm not as good as you, so maybe that says something. :laugh:

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Word to what you just typed.

You're good. Everything I would have said has been said so...yah...

How did you place by the way?
25th, I lost to Azen in winner's bracket and Pierce7d in losers bracket.

Also yeah, I should do dair to f-tilt more, and maybe try out bair and fair too, I do dair to grab. Also, 130 is TOO high, the main issue is yeah, I wasn't dairing to f-tilting at those lower percents so really if they are at 75% or higher (and are near the edge) the dair will get them in the 80s and f-smash will definately kill (unless maybe if its Dedede, Snake or R.O.B.)

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I watched your matches against Korn. You got ***** a bit :o stop running up to him and being stupid and use your dodges.

Marth is also certainly not impossible with Kirby, you can gimp him at stupid low percentages.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You can? O_o

His Up B seems to beat everything, ever. I've even landed a Stone on top of a Marth, and he just used Up B and powered through it, and the broken invincibility frames made him take no damage or knockback. ^_^

Marth pisses me off. I seriously considered using Toon Link or Ike instead of Kirby against Marth, but I suck with them too much lolol.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I watched your matches against Korn. You got ***** a bit :o stop running up to him and being stupid and use your dodges.

Marth is also certainly not impossible with Kirby, you can gimp him at stupid low percentages.
I know, but my Kirby is terrible in friendlies. Thats why most of my matches are of my MK, cause I don't play Kirby alot in friendlies. I have an aggressive MK and I play my Kirby in friendlies somewhat similar to my MK.

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
You can? O_o

His Up B seems to beat everything, ever. I've even landed a Stone on top of a Marth, and he just used Up B and powered through it, and the broken invincibility frames made him take no damage or knockback. ^_^

Marth pisses me off. I seriously considered using Toon Link or Ike instead of Kirby against Marth, but I suck with them too much lolol.
my opinion, marth is kinda even vs Kirby... not sure though :o also Kirby can gimp marth

I know, but my Kirby is terrible in friendlies. Thats why most of my matches are of my MK, cause I don't play Kirby alot in friendlies. I have an aggressive MK and I play my Kirby in friendlies somewhat similar to my MK.
your Kirby is terrible in friendlies ? no johns Poyo.. so you saying that you could do better in tournament matches ? D:
i mean my marth is bad.. :(

Top Bottom