• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My first Project M impressions

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I've been a Smash 4 player since it's came out. I've put a at least 200 hours into the game and it's the first one I've really really gotten into. I played Brawl when i was a kid, but I was really bad back then.My mom recently found my old copy of Brawl so I've been messing around with that too. Project M had always been on my mind, but I never really thought about playing it myself. Well I was bored last night so I went ahead and downloaded Project M to an SD card and booted up Brawl. Never played the game before nor Melee, so here's my first impressions. Again, I come from 4, so don't crucify me if "I don't get it" compared to stuff in that game.

So I boot up the game, and mess with Marth in the training mode because he's the character I main in 4. So then I went into Dreamland (which looks great, by the way) and started messing with stuff. First technique from Melee that I used was dash dancing and wow it feels so good! Marth just feels so smooth when he does it, kinda like skating on ice almost. This totally beats the **** out of dance trotting in Smash 4, I only have to do half the amount of inputs and it feels good to control. I still haven't got to the point though where I can face the right direction to get to the ledge when I recover lol.

I messed around with the other characters too. Roy and Mewtwo are kind of interesting to watch and see how they play compared to 4, with a lot of interesting coincidental similarities on the Roy side.It's also kind weird to see all of the Brawl characters do stuff like dashdancing and wavedashing and stuff considering they're from a game with completely different mechanics. I don't like how they changed Snake though. The replaced his Rocket launcher side Smash with a knife, and his side special with a regular gun. Which is kind of disappointing they didn't stay completely true to his Brawl counterpart yet made him unique.

Back to Marth, I also started messing around with L cancelling. It's nice the game gives you a flash when you did it right, since I probably couldn't tell other wise. Also tried SHFFLing a bit towards the end, albeit inconsistently. L cancelling to me is whatever, I know I have to do it if I want to get competitive. Still can't believe people bust a nut over very few ways to lag cancel in Smash 4, and some take play with Smooth Lander and Heavy gravity on seriously. I also tried to do chain grabbing, but I used it against Link and not Fox so I couldn't get it to work.

But let's get to the good stuff. Wavedashing. Ho boy. So this is the thing people lose their god damn minds over for not being in any other Smash game. Eh. I couldn't get it to work so I may be a bit biased. Don't get me wrong, I see the value in it for mix ups and using standing moves and stuff. But it just is a stupid amount of inputs just to do one thing. I find it dumb that I have to jump, then point the analog stick diagonally and then press L all within the span of less then a second. I get the jump part for stuff like wavelanding, but this? Why couldn't the project M devs just make it so inputting diagonally on the ground and then L does a wavedash? I mean, I heard they reduced the windows from Melee to here, so why not give me another input while you're at it?

TLDR: Dashdancing feels amazing, not a fan of some of the changes they made to Brawl character, L cancelling is whatever but necessary and wavedash is too many inputs for what should be a simple thing.

I'll try it out a bit more to see how long it holds my interest but the game is fun so far.

Last edited:

DownsideC

Smash Cadet
NNID
Audiohades50
3DS FC
3797-8964-1796
Kinda surprised how you came from smash 4 and you already got the hand of the techniques.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
a lot of it's not that difficult. just building muscle memory for stuff, mostly : p not to downplay his picking up the basics of movement and tech in a very different engine, i just feel people overplay how difficult some stuff in melee/pm is and underestimate the playerbase of smash4.

and you're going to have to press the buttons for wavedashing. sorry, that's how it is. short of them making macros for each jump squat grouping and allowing you to set those macros to a button, anything else will start to affect shield tilting, platform dropping (while in shield), rolls/spotdodges, and possibly buffering rolls spotdodges.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I don't like how they changed Snake though. The replaced his Rocket launcher side Smash with a knife, and his side special with a regular gun. Which is kind of disappointing they didn't stay completely true to his Brawl counterpart yet made him unique.
Brawl character movesets were all changed for the sake of balance (read: the original moves kinda crap). I'm sure that if a character you mained in S4 had the equivalent of Melee Sheik side-B, you'd be ok with it getting replaced too. I mean...how often did Brawl Snakes make use of those awful side-B rockets effectively, if ever?

But it just is a stupid amount of inputs just to do one thing. I find it dumb that I have to jump, then point the analog stick diagonally and then press L all within the span of less then a second. I get the jump part for stuff like wavelanding, but this? Why couldn't the project M devs just make it so inputting diagonally on the ground and then L does a wavedash? I mean, I heard they reduced the windows from Melee to here, so why not give me another input while you're at it?
Just practice it lol. It was weird for everyone at first, but it'll be like second nature after a week or two. Really not that hard. And no, wavedashing is meant to be 1:1 with Melee. There is a slight difference due to PM registering characters as airborne one frame earlier than Melee (something like that...), but that's unintentional and is only left in because the PMDT doesn't know how to remove it.

Hope you enjoy PM further (:

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
About facing the right direction during recovery, just slightly tilt your analogue into either the uppermost left or right notches when you input Dolphin Jump instead of trying to aim for straight up.

Goob121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goob121
Ya know its really funny, I'm doing like the exact same thigns right now...

JokeOnTheInternet

Smash Rookie
I have put almost 20 hours into PM and I really want to play it more but I can't because I cannot stand using the wii mote and nunchuck (I only have a Wii U)

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
If I'm correct, don't GC adapters not work in the "Wii" mode of the Wii U? I thought they only worked for Sm4sh, though I could be mistaken.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
If I'm correct, don't GC adapters not work in the "Wii" mode of the Wii U? I thought they only worked for Sm4sh, though I could be mistaken.
No, you're thinking of the Gamecube Adapter. All this thing does is make the Wii remote read the Gamecube controller as a Classic Controller. I haven't heard of lag, but I suppose it's a possibility?

Could always go this route too: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU

It literally IS a Classic Controller shaped like a Gamecube controller. That does mean it won't work as a regular Gamecube controller though. My local mom and pop shop has two for $15 each and I've been considering getting them.

Here's a video review: https://youtu.be/X5o9oAU2bec

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad you're enjoying the fluidity of this game as much as I am, as I also came from Smash 4. I hope you stick with it awhile because this game really is insanely enjoyable, and has IMO the best community. You can learn a whole lot from people around here just by hovering through the forum.

I don't know what controller or control scheme you use, but I use a classic controller and set L to jump to help with wavedashing. I find L>R to be a really easy piece of muscle memory for wavedashing, and since I used to shield with L, I had to retrain myself on my shielding which broke my horrible over-shielding/rolling habit that I took with me from Smash 4 (shield or roll are not nearly as good of a options in this game).

But back from the wavedashing tangent, I really have to say that once you get a feel for the game, the muscle memory down for certain techs and start using them and integrating them into your playstyle feels incredibly rewarding in a way that's really hard to explain. I hope we'll continue to see you around, and welcome to the forum.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Good report, thak you.
I used to main Snake in brawl and i agree with his new move set . The tranquiliser is a very good game changer for him but i have to say that i liked the nikita rocket.
I used to launch the nikita rocket for edgeguarding off-stage opponents and to cancel it with L/R right after launching the rocket in airbon state so that the falling rocket could cover my down side.

Wavedash is not a big deal at all, it is a natural product of the game engine and it more comon application is for an easy ledge grabbing when faciing back to the legde.

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Wavelanding is really fun on platform stages like Battlefield; you can zip across the stage from the edge to the top center with guys like Ganondorf. He and Charizard are probably my favorite to play as in P:M.

Top Bottom