• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Guys, I heard in Corrins Presentation that Sakurai saide that the dragon fang shot follow up bite atk is activated by holding the button. Thats why Corrin didn't bite when he fired the move without charging. So I think it is what some people here already said that its two b inputs to do both atks.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A lot of Roy's hype came from the fact that he was a fairly straightforward character who was available as soon as he was revealed and was notably better than his previous appearance. You had people freaking out about his fsmash, but the smarter players quickly realized that its high kill power meant little when using it meant you had to land a Frame 16 move at point blank range. Some freaked out about how fast he was and how you could angle Blazer now and how safe on shield Flare Blade was, but then his poor neutral game, poor grab game, inability to kill reliably until high percents, and gimpable recovery came to light.

We may be theorizing here, but the fact that we still have at least another month to wait means we have time to temper our expectations. Notice how the prevailing thought here about Corrin's viability is "probably mid tier at least with the tools he has, but we don't know enough to say exactly"?

Must you do this in here, too? Your comments in the video article were one thing, but actively searching out a character's supporters to bash them? I get that you have a chip on your shoulder, but what purpose does it serve to take it out on the rest of us?
The inverse can also apply, where people get overhyped about the strengths of tools without considering the weaknesses even once.

Really? Because I just had a bunch of people argue to me that he'll be a high tier because Cloud and Ryu were.

I don't particularly like Corrin's inclusion but that's not why I'm here. I'm here for speculation and discussion. Mostly I want to trim expectations because I don't want to be arguing about how Corrin's supposedly better then (insert swordsman here) if he's only a low tier at best like people still continually do with Roy, and that I'm tired of watching people get upset when their expectations are shattered completely because they didn't doubt a trailer for even a moment. I'm not just pointlessly causing arguments, and we really were talking about how defense almost never works out in Smash the other day.

So now instead of just outing me as a hater can we please resume intelligent discussion?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The inverse can also apply, where people get overhyped about the strengths of tools without considering the weaknesses even once.

Really? Because I just had a bunch of people argue to me that he'll be a high tier because Cloud and Ryu were.

I don't particularly like Corrin's inclusion but that's not why I'm here. I'm here for speculation and discussion. Mostly I want to trim expectations because I don't want to be arguing about how Corrin's supposedly better then (insert swordsman here) if he's only a low tier at best like people still continually do with Roy, and that I'm tired of watching people get upset when their expectations are shattered completely because they didn't doubt a trailer for even a moment. I'm not just pointlessly causing arguments, and we really were talking about how defense almost never works out in Smash the other day.

So now instead of just outing me as a hater can we please resume intelligent discussion?
So your rebuttal to what you believe is overly optimistic theory is overly pessimistic theory?

I fail to see the logic in your stance. You could trim unrealistic expectations without having to bring up worst case scenario comparisons like Zelda and palutena.

As for your self-righteous endeavor to lower the expectations of the masses...thanks?

Last edited:

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533

There are flaws in your argument.
First of all, the characters that have laggy moves and have short range tend to be low tier characters, hence is why Roy is low tier, not only do Corrin moves don't seem not very laggy at all, he has amazing range, character with great range and fast moves usually become better character than others with problems with Range like Roy. Look at Rosalina, people saw her as top tier Material because of having a puppet and great range. And others like YOU thought she would be bottom tier like people that take the pessimistic approach like YOU. Look at her Results, she is obviously a great character despite people thinking she would be bad. So this blows your theory out of the water. My point is that Corrin shares some of these characteristics like Rosalina with the fast move range factor. Which is why many of us are optimistic that he might be good. If he turns out to be bad well that is our problem. However, that doesn't give you the right to bash us and flat out insult us for being believers. Either be nice and contribute to the discussion, or YOU can leave.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556

To preface, I'm not so personally invested in Kamui's competitive viability that I'm going to show up in the CCI thread in six months calling everyone out for 'sleeping on' my special DLC snowflake. I'd love to see the character succeed in tournament to the degree where I can actually reasonably expect to see them make it into high-level brackets, but I understand that no amount of theorizing or wishful thinking will make that happen if the character simply doesn't have what it takes.

That said, I think your angle on this period of speculation may be slightly misguided. I get that it's annoying to see people continually come forward with opinions that are clearly based on misconceptions and idealistic-at-best views of a character's tools. But I don't personally see it as so much of a problem that a concerted effort is required on anyone's part to temper, well in advance, people's expectations of a new character who may or may not see meta success. It's fine to come in here and make polite counterpoints when someone says 'I think move x is going to be awesome and will do this, that and the next'. You'll notice I've had similar sentiments in a couple of my posts here. Reactively trying to talk people down on the character's potential viability in the long run is a trickier business because, as most everyone has pointed out, it's largely speculation. There are some reasonable high-level assumptions you can probably make, yes, but as you yourself said, things can change fairly dramatically from trailers, and that goes both ways. Frame data on seemingly quick moves could be gutted by the time the character releases, and it could just as well be tuned up to keep up with current meta trends.

This is a getting a bit long-winded, but the bottom line is people are going to have whatever expectations they want, and no amount of evidence, no matter how sound, is going to convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced. I do think you've made some good points on the specifics of certain tools though, and I think it's a lot more fun and productive in the long run to keep the discussion focused on what the kit may or may not be able to do rather than naysaying or over-inflating potential viability.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
The "drill dash" I think I see he/she using in fates when used Luna/Lethality in his/her main class

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I hope Dragon Ascent has atleast as much height as dolphin slash...
Blazer-So close,and yet so far...rip roy,everyone's boy 2001-2016

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I hope Dragon Ascent has atleast as much height as dolphin slash...
Blazer-So close,and yet so far...rip roy,everyone's boy 2001-2016
It seems to have the same range as the two combined, the move looks like it has some startup though, but he seems to travel as fast as Rosa's with a hitbox, It looks like an overall decent recover. Nothing really special.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
About nair, dair, and up b. If nair comes out fast enough, it would be a nice combo breaker or an oos option. And cartwheel nairs like that are usually pretty good, so I have hope. Dair is multi hit, so what if we can use it to drag people down into the blastzone or maybe for some stylish combos? For up b, we've seen that it ledge snaps so that's good. But I'm worried about the speed. It'd be cool to have as an oos option if it was fast enough since it hits on both sides. But if it's slow, it'll prolly be prone to being easily edge guarded unless the hitboxes are really good on it.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
About nair, dair, and up b. If nair comes out fast enough, it would be a nice combo breaker or an oos option. And cartwheel nairs like that are usually pretty good, so I have hope. Dair is multi hit, so what if we can use it to drag people down into the blastzone or maybe for some stylish combos? For up b, we've seen that it ledge snaps so that's good. But I'm worried about the speed. It'd be cool to have as an oos option if it was fast enough since it hits on both sides. But if it's slow, it'll prolly be prone to being easily edge guarded unless the hitboxes are really good on it.
Sakurai even said the up b has a "wide atk range" and its hitbox is big because of the large wings. I just said it just has startup, kind of similar to Rosa's up b where they pause for a moment before doing the move.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
Sakurai even said the up b has a "wide atk range" and its hitbox is big because of the large wings. I just said it just has startup, kind of similar to Rosa's up b where they pause for a moment before doing the move.
I know that. But where the hitboxes are matter. Like if they're only on the wings, and not his body then people can just drop in the middle and spike him or something. I wonder tho if angling the move would cover that though?

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
YAY A GURREN LAGANN FAN
Personally I am Ok with this dash attack,at least its better than "small swipe in front of my nose"
Looking at you, Lucimarth
Whenever I use their dash attack when I'm playing them for funsies I ask myself... why?

Kamui has defensive options,but somehow I dont think she'll be relying too much on them...
Probably going on offensive too like MK
And I don't really mind the competitive viability as long as she isn't outright useless,I just really like dragons and Arceus and Fire Emblem...Lucky combo,eh?
Same. I dig characters with swords and wings of any type!

I must have missed it. But what exactly does Corrin have that will make her anything below mid tier?

She has a disjoint. That alone already makes her be favorable in quite a few match ups. A projectile that stuns and if they are super close then you have an automatic kill button. If they shield it up close, they will probably keep shielding expecting the bite or if they drop shield then you can bite, this creating mix ups and making it somewhat tricky for the opponent if they get hit by it up close. So she has a projectile to keep people far or make people approach, and a disjoint up close. Oh let's not forget, those disjoints (tilts) seem to be great combo starters according to the trailer. They basically linked a tilt into more tilts. Her neutral game seems pretty good already. From what the trailer shows, there is no possible way she will be low or bottom tier. Just take a quick glance at the lower tier characters and compare them to Corrin.

Now include the fact if she gets a decent grab. Creative set ups with a charged hitbox in front of her when she charges fsmash. Like, hello? This will be great to catch rolls (they roll away and get tipper fsmashed, they roll in and they get hit by the lingering hit box), ledge traps, and even spot dodges. Also, who knows the shield pressure it will have? A recovery with a hit box on both sides and snaps to the ledge. A unique back air with a gigantic hit box that kills? A fair that seems good in neutral? A gigantic nair. Sure not every tool looks practical YET like dair and counter. But looking at the tools so far that have been shown a decent amount, I'm already getting so many ideas. Compare this character to any midtier right now and tell me she's worse.

Believe me, I'm usually on the pessimistic side too. But I just cannot deny all the positives Corrin has. As long as the mobility isn't as bad as Ganondorf's or Robin's (and from the trailer it doesn't look like it), I'm gucci. I'll deal with any other negatives she has. If she ends up being top tier, than yay me. Very first time I'll have a top tier I like playing a lot. Mid tier? I don't mind, I'm used to playing with mid tiers getting first at locals with Pit, and mid tiers are pretty viable unless you're entering a super national. Even then Earth (a Pit player) has beat Ranai in grandfinals of a huge tournament. There's literally nothing you can do to calm my hype down for Corrin. And I'll have a lot of fun discovering things out with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I wonder what the damage and knockback multiplier for counter surge is...

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I know that. But where the hitboxes are matter. Like if they're only on the wings, and not his body then people can just drop in the middle and spike him or something. I wonder tho if angling the move would cover that though?
I would think that angling might cover some of the blindspots above Corrin because the wings will be on top, but thats a spike though, a lot of characters are vulnerable to spikes, including Rosalina, who actually has a decent recovery. Plus, Corrins seems to be traveling pretty fast when he does it so it would probably be hard to hit him like Rosa when hes recovering. My point is that he might be vulnerable to spikes, but spiking a competent player isn't really easy to do because many dair have high start up and timing the atk and reading a tricky opponents direction isn't really easy to do. If it was, then everyone that would get knocked off stage would be spiked everytime.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
What I really wanna do with Kamui is transform into a dragon with "You Will Know Our Names" playing in the backgrounnd

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So your rebuttal to overly optimistic theory is overly pessimistic theory?

I fail to see the logic in your stance. You could trim unrealistic expectations without having to bring up worst case scenario comparisons like Zelda and palutena.

As for your self-righteous endeavor to lower the expectations of the masses...thanks?
How is the idea that Corrin's going to be viable because two unrelated characters are sound in any way?

Meanwhile I don't think I've had anybody deny the similarities to Zelda.

I could, but Zelda's definitely the most apt comparison. Palutena can kinda defend herself a bit but she lacks a bunch of strong chargable moves with horizontal range. (Note the mid tier status in Japan on Pally.) I still don't think Corrin will be as bad as Zelda either, but that's because Corrin lacks a long-ranged teleport that kills. Since he doesn't have an easy GTFO option for FFAs (that counter looks baaaaad lol) ultimately he needs to have at least some way of defending himself. Just won't be enough.

I mean, when you put it that way... :p

There are flaws in your argument.
First of all, the characters that have laggy moves and have short range tend to be low tier characters, hence is why Roy is low tier, not only do Corrin moves don't seem not very laggy at all, he has amazing range, character with great range and fast moves usually become better character than others with problems with Range like Roy. Look at Rosalina, people saw her as top tier Material because of having a puppet and great range. And others like YOU thought she would be bottom tier like people that take the pessimistic approach like YOU. Look at her Results, she is obviously a great character despite people thinking she would be bad. So this blows your theory out of the water. My point is that Corrin shares some of these characteristics like Rosalina with the fast move range factor. Which is why many of us are optimistic that he might be good. If he turns out to be bad well that is our problem. However, that doesn't give you the right to bash us and flat out insult us for being believers. Either be nice and contribute to the discussion, or YOU can leave.
Range doesn't instantly make you good. See Shulk. Speed does, but trailers lie and the mould that Corrin fits doesn't allow for much of it. Rosalina? Not once did I say that she wouldn't be viable, just to wait and see how Luma functions. Luma functions well and so does Rosalina. Heck, it's the very fact that Luma can potentially die in one hit is why she's so good. Since Luma's going to be dead 70% of the time in a FFA he needs to be absurdly powerful.

You're telling me to be nice but you're claiming I bashed an unrelated character a year ago... That's not how it works. You're also not explaining why you think Corrin's frame data will be good besides an unreliable trailer. I mean, if Corrin has all these powerful moves and good frame data he's going to be OP as hell in FFAs, and then he's going to get nerfed hard in the inevitable post Corrin and Bayo patch.

To preface, I'm not so personally invested in Kamui's competitive viability that I'm going to show up in the CCI thread in six months calling everyone out for 'sleeping on' my special DLC snowflake. I'd love to see the character succeed in tournament to the degree where I can actually reasonably expect to see them make it into high-level brackets, but I understand that no amount of theorizing or wishful thinking will make that happen if the character simply doesn't have what it takes.

That said, I think your angle on this period of speculation may be slightly misguided. I get that it's annoying to see people continually come forward with opinions that are clearly based on misconceptions and idealistic-at-best views of a character's tools. But I don't personally see it as so much of a problem that a concerted effort is required on anyone's part to temper, well in advance, people's expectations of a new character who may or may not see meta success. It's fine to come in here and make polite counterpoints when someone says 'I think move x is going to be awesome and will do this, that and the next'. You'll notice I've had similar sentiments in a couple of my posts here. Reactively trying to talk people down on the character's potential viability in the long run is a trickier business because, as most everyone has pointed out, it's largely speculation. There are some reasonable high-level assumptions you can probably make, yes, but as you yourself said, things can change fairly dramatically from trailers, and that goes both ways. Frame data on seemingly quick moves could be gutted by the time the character releases, and it could just as well be tuned up to keep up with current meta trends.

This is a getting a bit long-winded, but the bottom line is people are going to have whatever expectations they want, and no amount of evidence, no matter how sound, is going to convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced. I do think you've made some good points on the specifics of certain tools though, and I think it's a lot more fun and productive in the long run to keep the discussion focused on what the kit may or may not be able to do rather than naysaying or over-inflating potential viability.
It's one thing to convince somebody completely, but it's another to instill some doubt. If there's doubt then they ultimately won't explode on launch if things don't turn out. If they let things get out of control... Well, the Mewtwo boards would know since everybody was expecting PM Mewtwo for some god-awful reason.

I must have missed it. But what exactly does Corrin have that will make her anything below mid tier?

She has a disjoint. That alone already makes her be favorable in quite a few match ups. A projectile that stuns and if they are super close then you have an automatic kill button. If they shield it up close, they will probably keep shielding expecting the bite or if they drop shield then you can bite, this creating mix ups and making it somewhat tricky for the opponent if they get hit by it up close. So she has a projectile to keep people far or make people approach, and a disjoint up close. Oh let's not forget, those disjoints (tilts) seem to be great combo starters according to the trailer. They basically linked a tilt into more tilts. Her neutral game seems pretty good already. From what the trailer shows, there is no possible way she will be low or bottom tier. Just take a quick glance at the lower tier characters and compare them to Corrin.

Now include the fact if she gets a decent grab. Creative set ups with a charged hitbox in front of her when she charges fsmash. Like, hello? This will be great to catch rolls (they roll away and get tipper fsmashed, they roll in and they get hit by the lingering hit box), ledge traps, and even spot dodges. Also, who knows the shield pressure it will have? A recovery with a hit box on both sides and snaps to the ledge. A unique back air with a gigantic hit box that kills? A fair that seems good in neutral? A gigantic nair. Sure not every tool looks practical YET like dair and counter. But looking at the tools so far that have been shown a decent amount, I'm already getting so many ideas. Compare this character to any midtier right now and tell me she's worse.

Believe me, I'm usually on the pessimistic side too. But I just cannot deny all the positives Corrin has. As long as the mobility isn't as bad as Ganondorf's or Robin's (and from the trailer it doesn't look like it), I'm gucci. I'll deal with any other negatives she has. If she ends up being top tier, than yay me. Very first time I'll have a top tier I like playing a lot. Mid tier? I don't mind, I'm used to playing with mid tiers getting first at locals with Pit, and mid tiers are pretty viable unless you're entering a super national. Even then Earth (a Pit player) has beat Ranai in grandfinals of a huge tournament. There's literally nothing you can do to calm my hype down for Corrin. And I'll have a lot of fun discovering things out with her.
Mewtwo has good disjoints (slightly less then Marth actually) and he was bottom for a long time. Shulk and DDD have a ton of disjoint but they're low and bottom. Marth, Lucina and Roy are low too. The projectile I still think will be trash in neutral. Fsmash probably has too much startup to react to rolls and honestly I'd rather dasg grab or dash Usmash. Trailer also made Shulk look like a combo machine and yet he couldn't be further from it. Bair, with that range and power, won't be fast for sure. Nair will probably be good, but Fair is definitely something we need to see the data on.

Hate to "break it" to you, but Pit's been considered a high tier pretty much since launch. Right now it's pretty much agreed upon. Against any other high tier he's like -1 at worst, and the only characters he (debatably) struggles against are Sonic, Sheik and ZSS. Most characters do too so it's not a big deal, and it's not like it's an instant loss for Pit either. But let's not turn this into a debate about Pit's viability, hm?

Athrel

Smash Cadet
I mean, if Corrin has all these powerful moves and good frame data he's going to be OP as hell in FFAs, and then he's going to get nerfed hard in the inevitable post Corrin and Bayo patch.
I'm not really seeing this. Most of Corrin's moves don't look like they have that much kill power and the ones that do seem to have drawbacks to make sure they're not that great in FFA's. Tipper F-smash didn't look like it was that impressive in any of the instances shown so untipped is probably very weak. Combine that with the fact that fishing for a tipper on a move that long would be tough to do consistently in an FFA and F-smash just looks like an OK move in both game modes. Dragon fang shot and its followup (which I agree doesn't look very usable overall) doesn't seem feasible to use for KO's in FFA's considering that you probably want to be able to charge it from a range, but paralyzing an opponent from far away might just lead to delivering a KO to someone else and it's unlikely that the followup would be able to be charged much in an FFA in the event that the shot did hit at close range. Dragon lunge doesn't look like any of its followups have real KO power and neither does Dragon ascent. Counter surge could be OK in FFA's, but it seems like Shulk's in the sense that it can probably be slipped out of. None of their aerials aside from B-air and potentially U-air look like they have any real KO power and U-air doesn't seem to have much more range than a Marcina one and probably doesn't KO till late. That pretty much leaves B-air (which I don't think will hit too hard based on its sound effect but also be decently quick) for a KO move that looks like it can be reliably fished for in FFA's and even then probably only at the edge or offstage. The other two smashes might be good also. They don't overall seem to have the FFA volatility that Zelda has with being able to sneak up and lightning kick or having a charge projectile that kills at range or being able to snipe with Farore's wind or being able to Din's fire two opponents that might be paying more attention to each other than rather than her. Corrin'll probably be more well rounded as a result which can mean passable frame data for 1v1. Also while Sakurai's stated that he wants to have characters have different strengths in the different game modes that doesn't always happen. Ryu and villager (not implying that Corrin'll be at their strength) are excellent in pretty much any mode and while pocket was nerfed for doubles they're probably going to be allowed to stay like that. We also don't know Corrin's weight which is an important factor.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Range doesn't instantly make you good. See Shulk.
Shulk has bad frame data due to Monando Arts changing them. Corrin doesn't have anything like the Arts, so he probably won't have that problem. Also, considering he has range on two moves, I really doubt they're going to go the Shulk route across the board.
I mean, if Corrin has all these powerful moves and good frame data he's going to be OP as hell in FFAs, and then he's going to get nerfed hard in the inevitable post Corrin and Bayo patch.
Let's see...Side B is likely going to be mediocre at best in FFA due to stopping Corrin, which means any opponent can just hit him. Also, if another opponent is next to the speared one, they can just steal the hit. His regular sword moves will likely have frame data close to Marth/Robin due to having around the same range, and side smash's probably medium damage when not tippered and long animation means it's really risky in FFAs.
Then again, does anyone really know what works in FFAs? We have literally no proof of if one archetype is better than other and will probably just end up talking in circles until Corrin comes out and it turns out all of us are right.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
How is the idea that Corrin's going to be viable because two unrelated characters are sound in any way?

I could, but Zelda's definitely the most apt comparison. Palutena can kinda defend herself a bit but she lacks a bunch of strong chargable moves with horizontal range. (Note the mid tier status in Japan on Pally.) I still don't think Corrin will be as bad as Zelda either, but that's because Corrin lacks a long-ranged teleport that kills. Since he doesn't have an easy GTFO option for FFAs (that counter looks baaaaad lol) ultimately he needs to have at least some way of defending himself. Just won't be enough.

Range doesn't instantly make you good. See Shulk. Speed does, but trailers lie and the mould that Corrin fits doesn't allow for much of it. Rosalina? Not once did I say that she wouldn't be viable, just to wait and see how Luma functions. Luma functions well and so does Rosalina. Heck, it's the very fact that Luma can potentially die in one hit is why she's so good. Since Luma's going to be dead 70% of the time in a FFA he needs to be absurdly powerful.

You're telling me to be nice but you're claiming I bashed an unrelated character a year ago... That's not how it works. You're also not explaining why you think Corrin's frame data will be good besides an unreliable trailer. I mean, if Corrin has all these powerful moves and good frame data he's going to be OP as hell in FFAs, and then he's going to get nerfed hard in the inevitable post Corrin and Bayo patch.

It's one thing to convince somebody completely, but it's another to instill some doubt. If there's doubt then they ultimately won't explode on launch if things don't turn out. If they let things get out of control... Well, the Mewtwo boards would know since everybody was expecting PM Mewtwo for some god-awful reason.

Mewtwo has good disjoints (slightly less then Marth actually) and he was bottom for a long time. Shulk and DDD have a ton of disjoint but they're low and bottom. Marth, Lucina and Roy are low too. The projectile I still think will be trash in neutral. Fsmash probably has too much startup to react to rolls and honestly I'd rather dasg grab or dash Usmash. Trailer also made Shulk look like a combo machine and yet he couldn't be further from it. Bair, with that range and power, won't be fast for sure. Nair will probably be good, but Fair is definitely something we need to see the data on.

Hate to "break it" to you, but Pit's been considered a high tier pretty much since launch. Right now it's pretty much agreed upon. Against any other high tier he's like -1 at worst, and the only characters he (debatably) struggles against are Sonic, Sheik and ZSS. Most characters do too so it's not a big deal, and it's not like it's an instant loss for Pit either. But let's not turn this into a debate about Pit's viability, hm?
You are assuming they revolve this game around FFA because you probably heard that from someone else. When in fact, no one knows how they balance the game at all, especially DLC characters.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
You are assuming they revolve this game around FFA because you probably heard that from someone else. When in fact, no one knows how they balance the game at all, especially DLC characters.
I think they've said somewhere that they balance between internal FFA/1v1 testing, Japanese tier lists, and FG data. Lancer's been arguing that they concentrate on FFAs for a while now, so you really shouldn't bother.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Can someone explain why Kamui'd be bad in 1v1?
Because it doesn't look that way to me at all.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain why Kamui'd be bad in 1v1?
Because it doesn't look that way to me at all.
Looks like he has a bad run and air speed so will have a weak punish game, his throws look like they have high FAF, his specials look pretty mediocre..

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533

Maybe its wrong for me to assume that you bashed a character like Rosalina a year ago, however, other people did, with similar reason why you think Corrin might be bad to. Honestly, both of us don't know for sure if Corrin is viable or not because we didn't play the character yet. Like you said, speculation doesn'tmean anything, Lets just wait and see.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I'm not really seeing this. Most of Corrin's moves don't look like they have that much kill power and the ones that do seem to have drawbacks to make sure they're not that great in FFA's. Tipper F-smash didn't look like it was that impressive in any of the instances shown so untipped is probably very weak. Combine that with the fact that fishing for a tipper on a move that long would be tough to do consistently in an FFA and F-smash just looks like an OK move in both game modes. Dragon fang shot and its followup (which I agree doesn't look very usable overall) doesn't seem feasible to use for KO's in FFA's considering that you probably want to be able to charge it from a range, but paralyzing an opponent from far away might just lead to delivering a KO to someone else and it's unlikely that the followup would be able to be charged much in an FFA in the event that the shot did hit at close range. Dragon lunge doesn't look like any of its followups have real KO power and neither does Dragon ascent. Counter surge could be OK in FFA's, but it seems like Shulk's in the sense that it can probably be slipped out of. None of their aerials aside from B-air and potentially U-air look like they have any real KO power and U-air doesn't seem to have much more range than a Marcina one and probably doesn't KO till late. That pretty much leaves B-air (which I don't think will hit too hard based on its sound effect but also be decently quick) for a KO move that looks like it can be reliably fished for in FFA's and even then probably only at the edge or offstage. The other two smashes might be good also. They don't overall seem to have the FFA volatility that Zelda has with being able to sneak up and lightning kick or having a charge projectile that kills at range or being able to snipe with Farore's wind or being able to Din's fire two opponents that might be paying more attention to each other than rather than her. Corrin'll probably be more well rounded as a result which can mean passable frame data for 1v1. Also while Sakurai's stated that he wants to have characters have different strengths in the different game modes that doesn't always happen. Ryu and villager (not implying that Corrin'll be at their strength) are excellent in pretty much any mode and while pocket was nerfed for doubles they're probably going to be allowed to stay like that. We also don't know Corrin's weight which is an important factor.
You do realize they're not finish with the character right, they're are still balancing him. I played the Best Buy Demo of this game before it came out and played Rosalina. Her Fsmash had weak kill power in that Demo that I couldn't kill someone near the edge at 120%. Now Look at the move, the knockback is scary. My point is that you can't judge frame data and kill power from a demo/trailer because the devolopers are still working on the character and thats why they're are going to be released on February and not now.

Last edited:

Athrel

Smash Cadet
You do realize they're not finish with the character right, they're are still balancing him. I played the Best Buy Demo of this game before it came out and played Rosalina. Her Fsmash had weak kill power in that Demo that I couldn't kill someone near the edge at 120%. Now Look at the move, the knockback is scary. My point is that you can't judge frame data and kill power from a demo/trailer because the devolopers are still working on the character and thats why they're are going to be released on February and not now.
Well obviously between the video being 30 fps, character percentages not being shown, certain visual effects like the rage steam potentially being edited out, and the fact that they're still balancing the character like you mentioned, getting an accurate picture of how Corrin's going to work from what's been shown is nearly impossible. This is a speculation thread so I'm doing just that and saying what I think of the moves will be like. I didn't mean to come off as if I knew for certain how the character would shape up overall. I also wasn't trying to imply that Corrin would be weak overall. I do think they might be lacking in reliable KO power and I don't think think they'll have many combo's like some have been hoping for, but I'm pretty optimistic about a lot of their moves.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
FFA: Free for All, or 4 player mode
FAF: First Actionable(?) Frame. This is the first frame of a move that the player can act.
I'm pretty sure the A stands for active in FAF

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Do you think Kamui's usmash will have a hit box at the feet, like Marth?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I would be surprised if it didn't, and I hope it does have, I like to run cancel Usmash, as long as it's not as bad as Samus's i'll be happy
Yeah me too,it can be a good anti air and chase smash if I does have a feet hitbox
Dear Arceus I hope it's not like Mewtwo's or Spamus'

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

1. Zelda is very different from Corrin.
Zelda's Din Fire is way slower and laggier than Corrin's Dragon Fang.
Secondly, Zelda's gutted by her almost lack of Fair and Bair, in how inconsistent they are.
Third, Zelda has less range in her moves, while the moves are slower or just as slow as Corrin's.

2. Shulk is a balancing nightmare, because he's essentially multiple characters in one.
His Monado arts can change attributes, making him fast, strong, damaging and fat all at once.

3. Mewtwo was a glass cannon without the cannon part, having no combos or kill power while being very suspectible to being killed himself.
His disjoints were his only saving grace, while having flaws that far outbalance them.

DDD is an heavyweight with trash, and I mean trash, mobility.
He's suspectible to combos, he's slow in both movement and moves and his only projectile can be launched right back at him.
Disjoints is one of his two good parts, the other being his survivability, while having many flaws

Shulk is again hard to balance, and suffers just like Pokémon Trainer from a gimmick that weighs him down.

Do you see it?
None of these characters are bad because they are defense, or have disjoints.
They're bad because they have flaws and I have not seen any of these flaws on Corrin.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Do you think Kamui's usmash will have a hit box at the feet, like Marth?
Considering he leans down as he crosses his arms over himself and shifts them, I'd be surprised if there wasn't. Whether it'll be like Lucario where the lower hit sends them into the sweetspot, or like Sheik's where the lower hit is just a sourspot, we won't know for another month.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
3. Mewtwo was a glass cannon without the cannon part, having no combos or kill power while being very suspectible to being killed himself.
His disjoints were his only saving grace, while having flaws that far outbalance them.
And Shadow Ball.

Even before his buffs he had his kill power and combos (arguably even more with clever use of DJ old uair). His real problem was not having much versatility due to lacking the mobility and attack safety needed, so he was pretty much locked in a defensive playstyle and fell flat on his face whenever it failed.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
And Shadow Ball.

Even before his buffs he had his kill power and combos (arguably even more with clever use of DJ old uair). His real problem was not having much versatility due to lacking the mobility and attack safety needed, so he was pretty much locked in a defensive playstyle and fell flat on his face whenever it failed.
I don't think Mewtwo had the kill power and combos to compensate for him being Jiggly weight and having above average lenght.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think Mewtwo had the kill power and combos to compensate for him being Jiggly weight and having above average lenght.
Name one combo that Mewtwo can do now that he couldn't before. Nair landing combos are just easier now, always was possible. Uair was a nice power buff but otherwise his kill power's the same.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
So I noticed that right after Sakurai shows that Wii U will be getting those songs, they show gameplay on Coliseum. You can see Corrin do a short hop Bair. It looks like it does NOT autocancel. However, the landing lag is extremely low. It appears to be an amazing spacing tool, considering the ridiculous range, decent startup, safety, and forward push. This move alone might be enough to let Corrin have at LEAST a passable neutral, and then when you factor in Corrin's other tools, I don't think this character will be bad. Even the probably horrendous throw followups won't really destroy the character because positional throws are still good.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Im keeping my fingers crossed for a killer up throw...
it actually looks possible

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I think we are in the phases of new characther,
Beginning= hey you guys will play corrin too?
A little latter: so what combos you think he will have
Framer phase: his foward smash seems to have a X frames
And now the pessimist phase: let's looks at his flaws
Next the hope phase: hey he looks like a good mid/high tier
And the last the play phase: FINALY CORRIN IS IN SMASH I GONNA PLAY WITH HIM/HER FOR DAYS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom