• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
DTilt stuff
This wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being an important tool in Corrin's kit. It's a faster Ike DTilt animation-wise, and that's already a good DTilt(Though it didn't get that way overnight).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Could Corrin's FAF be tied to the moment when his dragon head reverts back to human form? Perhaps this is universal to all of Corrin's attacks? I'm looking at this analysis video posted in here and noticed the dragon head (on Fsmash) ended just as the startup on his dtilt began. It looked so clean. Apologies if this idea was posted already. I haven't had the chance to look through all of the discussion just yet.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Could Corrin's FAF be tied to the moment when his dragon head reverts back to human form? Perhaps this is universal to all of Corrin's attacks? I'm looking at this analysis video posted in here and noticed the dragon head (on Fsmash) ended just as the startup on his dtilt began. It looked so clean. Apologies if this idea was posted already. I haven't had the chance to look through all of the discussion just yet.
F-smash is shown multiple times in the trailer. That seems to be his standard endlag for it. It doesn't have too much endlag.

Also @everyone, will Corrin's F-smash be safe on shield if spaced? It seems to be a great spacing tool that probably won't kill (or else the trailer would have shown it killing.) F-smash just looks like a super long range poke, more than anything, that sets up edgeguards or w/e. The endlag is also pretty low. I imagine stuff like Falcon dash grab would punish it, but it'll be fine against most characters. Opinions?

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
F-smash is shown multiple times in the trailer. That seems to be his standard endlag for it. It doesn't have too much endlag.

Also @everyone, will Corrin's F-smash be safe on shield if spaced? It seems to be a great spacing tool that probably won't kill (or else the trailer would have shown it killing.) F-smash just looks like a super long range poke, more than anything, that sets up edgeguards or w/e. The endlag is also pretty low. I imagine stuff like Falcon dash grab would punish it, but it'll be fine against most characters. Opinions?
I don't know, but I hope so. Is Shulk's safe on shield when spaced?

Also, I don't know if anyone talked about this yet. But upsmash definitely has a tipper.

You can see the spark right at the top of it. Marth's and Sheik's tipper upsmash kill really early, so I expect no different this time too.

They do, but they're more likely to choke on Little Mac Fsmash spam and ZSS dash attacks and other easy things before they get to the point that'd matter.

Mewtwo, rebuilt and for a while required both versions to even get was bottom tier for a looong time. Roy, created almost entirely for Melee fans and revamped, is terrible. I agree that Ryu being good in 1v1s isn't a coincidence, being Mr. 1v1 fite me IRL himself. Although just his 1v1 powers aren't enough to compete in FFA environments... His throws being crazy powerful attacks wasn't just thrown in as a joke, yaknow.

I think we've long passed the point where we could say Corrin's not a defensive character. He's at best not particularly fast and has multiple "charge" moves with defensive hitboxes. All his moves have significant range.

Dtilt seems rather lacking in the hitstun department... Luigi fell way too far for that to be true on him. The move seems fast at first, but note that the video is much faster then normal gameplay. None of that looks true or particularly fast, to be honest.

And on Fsmash... The charging hitbox isn't necessarily frame 1. DDD's Fsmash is the most apparent example of not charging on like f3 or whatever it usually is. Especially if the charging hitbox links into the main attack of Fsmash, I don't see the hitbox coming out before frame 10.
I don't recall something being a combo in a smash bros trailer and then not comboing in game. So idk man

Last edited:

Athrel

Smash Cadet
That seems like a good use for it, though it was shown KO-ing wii-fit on the ledge at some point in the trailer so the tip can probably KO at reasonable percents. I was thinking that the character has potential to do a lot of hit and run overall. Since Dragon lunge can be jumped out of and bair helps to slightly increase air mobility, I could see Corrin being able to consistently maneuver around slightly above the stage, severely hampering many characters' ground approaches. The kicks could also be used to punish a bad air approach and carry Corrin far enough away to reset the situation and cancelling a lunge into a shield grab or distanced attack like f-smash or dragon fang shot depending on the opponent's distance could work as well.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I don't know, but I hope so. Is Shulk's safe on shield when spaced?
Shulk's is horribly unsafe. However, it has noticeably less range and (seemingly) much, much more endlag.

Also what's with that U-smash? I have no idea what's going on with the animation. He crouches and points his arms up? His shoulders grow spikes?

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Shulk's is horribly unsafe. However, it has noticeably less range and (seemingly) much, much more endlag.

Also what's with that U-smash? I have no idea what's going on with the animation. He crouches and points his arms up? His shoulders grow spikes?
Yeah basicaly, i expected his using his wings or head but yeah is his shoulders

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
You know, I do have to wonder...

Assuming Dragon Lunge isn't a command grab, what happens if you pin the ground an opponent is standing on while they shield? Do you still pin the ground? If so, can the opponent just walk out of it once they drop their shield?
I was actually wondering about this as well earlier in the thread... Will the opponent receive unit collision/shield-push? Will the opponent be able to walk through the side-B with no problems? Or maybe, of course, it's a command grab. I have no clue.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I think it will be at least a shield push and the others will walk like there is another person there (except if he is CPU mario then he will taunt and you will receive a jigly rest out of nowhere)

(Just kidding about the mario thing)

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
On the subject of Dragon Lunge pinning on shield....

If not a command grab, it should at least deal enough shieldstun to lock the target in place.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of Dragon Lunge pinning on shield....

If not a command grab, it should at least deal enough shieldstun to lock the target in place.
That depends entirely on the move's damage. That said, it may be safe on shield if Corrin can act quickly enough afterward.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Alrighty, so let's summarise,shall we?
List what you think Corrin's pros and cons are going to be,based on all of our speculation.

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
Alrighty, so let's summarise,shall we?
List what you think Corrin's pros and cons are going to be,based on all of our speculation.
Alright here we go

PROS:
-"Dragon with a chainsaw."
-Unique character
-Fast jab
-Fast tilts, with D-tilt potentially being a combo starter
-Longest (non-projectile) F-smash in the game; has a tipper effect, a hitbox while charging, and May be safe on shield/do large shield damage upclose
-Quick N-air hitting on both sides; Great OOS option
-F-air having the potential to be a combo starter/extender
-Insane B-air that can help recover, potentially kill, auto-space, and has large range; potentially safe on shield
-D-air having the potential to drag enemy down to blast zone
-Fast startup on U-air; potential combo starter
-Decent projectile with guaranteed killing followups up close, and potential followups from a distance
-Unique side-B with a plethora of possibilities associated with it
-Decently far up-B with a hitbox that snaps to the ledge
-First counter that launches opponent vertically
-Potential, but completely guessed kill-throw

CONS:
-Potentially mediocre run-speed
-F-tilt has sub-par range and is likely not safe on shield
-Although it's fast, up-tilt seems to have long cooldown
-F-Smash potentially will have low knockback in order to balance range
-F-air appears to have long landing-lag
-U-air should have long cooldown, hurts juggling potential
-D-air likely to be a predictable and punishable move
-Side-B, although having a plethora of possibilities, may also just end up being a gimmicky and sub-par move
-Not godlike recovery (e.g Sheik), may be gimpable
-Counter is. uh. a counter
-Potential to not have a good grab game
-May lack killing options
-Probably not a rush-down character

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
So the largest problem seems to be killing...
Otherwise would you agree Corrin is a solid character?

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
So the largest problem seems to be killing...
Otherwise would you agree Corrin is a solid character?
I think it will depend the most on his grab; if he either has a combo throw, one of his throws kill, or both, then he'll be a pretty good character.

Also side-B will play a big role

Either way I'm going to spam him

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I think it will depend the most on his grab; if he either has a combo throw, one of his throws kill, or both, then he'll be a pretty good character.

Also side-B will play a big role

Either way I'm going to spam him
Me too man...me too
I mean how can you not play as a dragon?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Do you think dragon lunge will give an extra jump in midair for recovery?
and do you think it would cause helplessness?
sorry if it sound stupid,it's just that I just now found out Ike's side b causes helplessness.I dont want that happening to my dragon

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
Do you think dragon lunge will give an extra jump in midair for recovery?
and do you think it would cause helplessness?
sorry if it sound stupid,it's just that I just now found out Ike's side b causes helplessness.I dont want that happening to my dragon
We can see Corrin using an aerial side-B in the trailer. He skips the jump when he's already in the air, shooting out the move very quickly (I'm guessing frame 6-7).

No extra jump, but we have no clue if he goes helpless. I'd doubt it to be so, though

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
We can see Corrin using an aerial side-B in the trailer. He skips the jump when he's already in the air, shooting out the move very quickly (I'm guessing frame 6-7).

No extra jump, but we have no clue if he goes helpless. I'd doubt it to be so, though
Would you say the lack of extra jump is good or bad?

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Hmmm...that's actually good,but it should really be able to stick on the walls otherwise the move's use is reduced 40% in my eyes
I'm pretty sure they'll give it wall stickability though.
Also I feel Corrin's counter will be better than the rest,since it sends people upwards so you don't have to worry about ledges,but will have Ike-style lag and low multiplier to compensate.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I believe what may happen for dragon lunge vs. shields is that it will give shieldpush like all attacks, but the hitbox will end once the lance is stuck in the ground. This gives people the opportunity to punish, makes sense, and doesn't make it OP at the ledge. Luckily, however, once somebody commits to an OoS option, you could punish with either one of the kicks or cancel it and punish or do w/e. The minimum time you have to be in the ground seems very low too. I could see this being an amazing baiting move, just because you can't punish it on shield, you have to read Corrin's option and then punish. It also means that if Corrin is pinned in the ground and doesn't know what to do, he could just use the kicks to GTFO and obtain stage control.

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
Would you say the lack of extra jump is good or bad?
I think it's AMAZING. This enables Corrin to short-hop, and then punish a potential mistake with a frame 6-7 side-B. This wouldn't be possible if he did a midair jump. It doesn't really matter too much if it cuts recovery power; he already has a B-air that pushes him forward

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I'm a bit worried about Counter surge...
It looks like it lets attacks slip past, since I saw Ryu's Hadouken move at normal speed past Corrin
Does that mean that if I counter , most attacks are just gonna drift by?
And before you mention Ness, he always slows down when he hits someone with PK Thunder 2 (the one where he hits himself with PK Thunder,for all the new people among you) ,so when Corrin counters him it was guaranteed to hit.
Any thoughts?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm a bit worried about Counter surge...
It looks like it lets attacks slip past, since I saw Ryu's Hadouken move at normal speed past Corrin
Does that mean that if I counter , most attacks are just gonna drift by?
And before you mention Ness, he always slows down when he hits someone with PK Thunder 2 (the one where he hits himself with PK Thunder,for all the new people among you) ,so when Corrin counters him it was guaranteed to hit.
Any thoughts?
What difference does it make?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
take zss dash attack for eg
wouldn't she just zip past him?
Might depend on what range she uses it at.

Though don't forget that Counter Surge has a pretty big range to it, and on both sides, at that.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Might depend on what range she uses it at.

Though don't forget that Counter Surge has a pretty big range to it, and on both sides, at that.
Hmm true...
Now to play the waiting game....

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Has any actual release date been confirmed?

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Nope, all we know is that it'll be before Feb. 19 when Fates releases, which doesn't really tell us much.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Can anyone post a slow mo of his usmash, I can't tell whether he is pointing his arms upwards or his shoulder blades literally become shoulder blades

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Can anyone post a slow mo of his usmash, I can't tell whether he is pointing his arms upwards or his shoulder blades literally become shoulder blades
I know on a computer you can go frame by frame on the gif I posted earlier with buttons somewhere on the bottom right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom