• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's actually a fairly active thread even today, and I was actually the main person speaking for Rosalina being canonically the most powerful Smash character, tied with Shulk.

Reception to the theory was mixed but more on the supportive side (and I posted my list to tumblr and it got support there too).

The discussion has moved on from Rosalina for a while now, currently seems to be focusing on Sonic (who I have also been speaking in defense of but I'm kinda giving it a break because it's getting tedious and I just want Smash to come out).

To summarise the discussion, people argued that Rosalina can't actually be that powerful if she needed Mario's help in Galaxy, but I argued that this is blatant "gameplay-story segregation", since Rosalina, even with just her demonstrated powers in Galaxy 1 alone being taken into consideration, demonstrates that she would be perfectly capable of handling Bowser with ease, and could definitely collect all of the Power Stars (and 3D World backs up that she can go on a platforming adventure even using her most basic abilities). And Bowser raids the Mushroom Kingdom no problem with his huge fleet, yet had to resort to absorbing the Comet Observatory's power from a great distance, and despite the Observatory's small size and lack of turret defenses or anything of the sort, Bowser doesn't dare touch it. Why? Well Rosalina's there, of course. Rosalina is just as much a victim of gameplay-story segregation as Peach always has been, which is a shame, but it should NOT be used to say she ISN'T powerful, because it means nothing. Canonically, in cutscenes and such, the powers Rosalina has are immense, way more than even Bowser could hope to achieve.

People also argued that the universe's rebirth was not Rosalina's doing (it's commonly accepted that it is her doing), and that she said it was the Lumas doing it, but she never said this, she merely said they would be reborn, much like almost everything else. Also, trying to assume Rosalina was not the person handling this process opens some gaping plotholes in the Galaxy lore, many of which pertain to Rosalina's own existence being a huge contradiction under this assumption, and nobody could/can come up with ways to make it seem otherwise. That's why the implication is obviously that it is her doing.

Rosalina is generally just one of the most misunderstood and misinterpreted characters I know, a lot of people miss very obvious details about her and it baffles me as to why.

Here's the topic:
http://smashboards.com/threads/whos-canonically-the-strongest-character-in-smash.347421/

And here's my most up to date version of my list (only did Smash 4 characters though):

SSS: :rosalina::4shulk:
SS::4sonic::4kirby:
S: :4bowser::4palutena::4pit::4darkpit::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::4metaknight::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4megaman::4falcon::4ness:
A::4tlink::4fox::4falco::4charizard::4pikachu::4lucario::4bowserjr::4marth::4lucina::4wario::4zss::4dedede::4peach::4mario::4drmario::4luigi:
B: :4greninja::4dk::4diddy::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4yoshi::4littlemac:
C: :4olimar::4alph::4wiifit::4wiifitm:
X::4duckhunt::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4rob::4villager::4villagerf::4mii::4miif::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Just as an FYI, characters a tier below another character does have a chance against the higher tier character if they were fighting, but they would likely require some extra help in the form of power-ups. Or just dumb luck.

X Tier represents "Unranked" characters.

:4duckhunt::4gaw::4mii::4miif::4rob::4villager::4villagerf:These guys are unranked because they are all docile in their source games as far as I am aware.

:4jigglypuff::4pacman: These two are unranked because I simply do not know enough about them to judge.

Well to be fair, I can't speak for many of the characters there myself.

Mega Man should definitely be higher though. I can't see him being any lower than mid tier. I doubt he will become top tier, but he's still really solid. He has a very poor match-up against Rosalina, though.
Pac-Man fought against Spooky in Pac-Man World 2, a ghost that makes other ghosts tremble in fear.
(Though he did need golden fruit power-ups to fight him...)

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
That's actually a fairly active thread even today, and I was actually the main person speaking for Rosalina being canonically the most powerful Smash character, tied with Shulk.

Reception to the theory was mixed but more on the supportive side (and I posted my list to tumblr and it got support there too).

The discussion has moved on from Rosalina for a while now, currently seems to be focusing on Sonic (who I have also been speaking in defense of but I'm kinda giving it a break because it's getting tedious and I just want Smash to come out).

To summarise the discussion, people argued that Rosalina can't actually be that powerful if she needed Mario's help in Galaxy, but I argued that this is blatant "gameplay-story segregation", since Rosalina, even with just her demonstrated powers in Galaxy 1 alone being taken into consideration, demonstrates that she would be perfectly capable of handling Bowser with ease, and could definitely collect all of the Power Stars (and 3D World backs up that she can go on a platforming adventure even using her most basic abilities). And Bowser raids the Mushroom Kingdom no problem with his huge fleet, yet had to resort to absorbing the Comet Observatory's power from a great distance, and despite the Observatory's small size and lack of turret defenses or anything of the sort, Bowser doesn't dare touch it. Why? Well Rosalina's there, of course. Rosalina is just as much a victim of gameplay-story segregation as Peach always has been, which is a shame, but it should NOT be used to say she ISN'T powerful, because it means nothing. Canonically, in cutscenes and such, the powers Rosalina has are immense, way more than even Bowser could hope to achieve.

People also argued that the universe's rebirth was not Rosalina's doing (it's commonly accepted that it is her doing), and that she said it was the Lumas doing it, but she never said this, she merely said they would be reborn, much like almost everything else. Also, trying to assume Rosalina was not the person handling this process opens some gaping plotholes in the Galaxy lore, many of which pertain to Rosalina's own existence being a huge contradiction under this assumption, and nobody could/can come up with ways to make it seem otherwise. That's why the implication is obviously that it is her doing.

Rosalina is generally just one of the most misunderstood and misinterpreted characters I know, a lot of people miss very obvious details about her and it baffles me as to why.

Here's the topic:
http://smashboards.com/threads/whos-canonically-the-strongest-character-in-smash.347421/

And here's my most up to date version of my list (only did Smash 4 characters though):

S: :4bowser::4palutena::4pit::4darkpit::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::4metaknight::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4megaman::4falcon::4ness:
A::4tlink::4fox::4falco::4charizard::4pikachu::4lucario::4bowserjr::4marth::4lucina::4wario::4zss::4dedede::4peach::4mario::4drmario::4luigi:
B: :4greninja::4dk::4diddy::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4yoshi::4littlemac:
X::4duckhunt::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4rob::4villager::4villagerf::4mii::4miif::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Just as an FYI, characters a tier below another character does have a chance against the higher tier character if they were fighting, but they would likely require some extra help in the form of power-ups. Or just dumb luck.

:4duckhunt::4gaw::4mii::4miif::4rob::4villager::4villagerf:These guys are unranked because they are all docile in their source games as far as I am aware.

:4jigglypuff::4pacman: These two are unranked because I simply do not know enough about them to judge.

Mega Man should definitely be higher though. I can't see him being any lower than mid tier. I doubt he will become top tier, but he's still really solid. He has a very poor match-up against Rosalina, though.
I'm gonna have to disagree with Miis being docile. In the StreetPass games alone, they save a kingdom and the world, saved a galaxy, took over the world, and defeated an equivalent of the devil. But this isn't the right place for that.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Well look what's happening. I ask for the canonical tier list thread to take a quick gander at it, people are starting to discuss it over here. We can discuss this if it's mainly about Rosalina, but if it's only about other characters, or mainly about other characters, we should talk about it in the appropriate thread::
Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

otter

Smash Ace
can anyone please link me to the thread with the dair and jump frame desyncs from about a month ago? id like to start learning that friday.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I only really posted the full list I made so people could see where I placed Rosalina in relation to other characters, but yeah, extended discussion on the roster as a whole should be taken to the appropriate thread.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So the first "official" (I'm still waiting for what exactly would define it as such in this instance) Japanese tier list came out, and:

ROSALINA IS GOD TIER
Alright, Rosalina is on the high tier, well Mario is fine but why Mr.G&W is on the lower tier? He is awesome!
Rosalina seems to be the character on the tier list that is not a fast pace character.

Here's the topic:

This is Smash Bros, Rosalina's role in Super Mario Galaxy doesn't match with Smash Bros.
Sonic is tough indeed, but he is actually slow this time.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Hello! I'm back! (sort of For like 10 minutes) XD

Well Guys i'll make this quick. Remember when i emailed Rosalina's voice actresses?

GUESS What. Laura Faye Smith actually took the time (love her) to email me back Once again and say this. Note: i did not check my email in a LONG time , she send this a couple of weeks ago.

As you can see She made a mistake and it was Nintedos issue , she DID NOT LIE WHEN SHE SAID SHE WAS GONNA BE HER VOICE!.
She is so sweet , i can accept her as Rosalina. I actually think it's cool how all her voice actresses seem to be so lovely people :)

Bye guys , i've been busy with College so you get it , i have literally no time anymore :p Hope you are well and enjoy Rosalina , Smash and all of that :D

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, I actually know the Shulk player. That was one of his first matches so it's understandable. He's gotten better over time
Oh I'm sure they both have gotten better, I just wouldn't call early gameplay good material to base things off of.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Isn't it weird that everything but Rosalina's crown texture is unaffected by the Blooper?

It's probably some sort of weird error that occurs with the texture.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Wierdly little talk about the game, i guess its because it hasnt been released worldwide yet.
Im trying to understand the downair, somtimes it just sends sideways offstage, and sometimes it spikes for offstagehits.

Onstage it can trip the opponents or pop them up for for example an upsmash, i have yet to figure out what triggers which hit since its good to know which one youll likely get.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wierdly little talk about the game, i guess its because it hasnt been released worldwide yet.
Im trying to understand the downair, somtimes it just sends sideways offstage, and sometimes it spikes for offstagehits.

Onstage it can trip the opponents or pop them up for for example an upsmash, i have yet to figure out what triggers which hit since its good to know which one youll likely get.
I think hitting opponents with the side of the ring causes the spike. That's what it looked like as early as her trailer. Most people try to hit with the center.

I'll test this tomorrow.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Onstage when opponents is high damage, some with tough down air like Sonic or Toon Link can just spike the opponent down to the stage and bounce up. Which is more easily get launched this time.
Rosalina's down air is devastating, although is not that wide ranged but it is more efficient than Megaman's down air.
Hello! I'm back! (sort of For like 10 minutes) XD

Well Guys i'll make this quick. Remember when i emailed Rosalina's voice actresses?

GUESS What. Laura Faye Smith actually took the time (love her) to email me back Once again and say this. Note: i did not check my email in a LONG time , she send this a couple of weeks ago.

As you can see She made a mistake and it was Nintedos issue , she DID NOT LIE WHEN SHE SAID SHE WAS GONNA BE HER VOICE!.
She is so sweet , i can accept her as Rosalina. I actually think it's cool how all her voice actresses seem to be so lovely people :)

Bye guys , i've been busy with College so you get it , i have literally no time anymore :p Hope you are well and enjoy Rosalina , Smash and all of that :D
Yeah, I was wondering where have you been!
Well, this is quite a news, or probably some people had already know about this. Super Smash Bros for Wii U will be Rosalina's first Wii U game title that Laura, which everyone regards her as Rosalina's current voice actress, did not cast in this game. I do like her voice though a bit too similar to Peach, maybe Rosalina has a goddesss and human voice? Like, she is a giddess in Super Mario Gakaxy and just a regular girl in Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World.
Well, I was hopping to play Smash Bros with you @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle , hoping to see you back on Smashboards soon!
Here is a Rosalina picture that looks quite adorable

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion

From my testing, the spike hitbox is during the middle of the ring's "descent" from Rosalina.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Last edited:

jaguar_15

Smash Rookie
I'm super happy to play as my favorite character of all time Rosalina!

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Alright, Rosalina is on the high tier, well Mario is fine but why Mr.G&W is on the lower tier? He is awesome!
Rosalina seems to be the character on the tier list that is not a fast pace character.

This is Smash Bros, Rosalina's role in Super Mario Galaxy doesn't match with Smash Bros.
Sonic is tough indeed, but he is actually slow this time.
Yes, but they were talking about canonical power, if we go by the story of galaxy she is as strong as a goddess. (possibly stronger if palutena is the comparison.)

It is nearly time. My game is downloading. I can almost actually comment on Rosalina's playstyle and actually know what I'm talking about....yesss

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, but they were talking about canonical power, if we go by the story of galaxy she is as strong as a goddess. (possibly stronger if palutena is the comparison.)

It is nearly time. My game is downloading. I can almost actually comment on Rosalina's playstyle and actually know what I'm talking about....yesss
Well, compare to you.I have used Rosalina for nearly a month.But I used her on my brother's Japanese 3DS I want to get my own, but no money now.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Well, compare to you.I have used Rosalina for nearly a month.But I used her on my brother's Japanese 3DS I want to get my own, but no money now.
we were talking based on canon not in game power.....and I wasn't even arguing as far as competitive play anyway?

Also why do you enlarge your type so often? It gets a tad annoying.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
we were talking based on canon not in game power.....and I wasn't even arguing as far as competitive play anyway?

Also why do you enlarge your type so often? It gets a tad annoying.
If that annoys you then I apologize, but be sure have fun with Rosalina, she is quite a fun but tricky character to use.
Alright I know that, I know you are talking about canon, but for some people who misunderstood this I want to say is canons has no link with Smash Bros, it is just for fun.
I think Rosalina may come to a tie with Palutena, since ya know Palutena is a goddess, Rosalina just got a goddess power by somehow.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Played Rosalina for the first time today and wow! She is a killing machine!

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
First impression: I like ness's play style better still, I am sucking pretty bad with peach (going to have to relearn her hard) and Rosalina is taking some getting used to, but I over all like her.....her projectile being side B is messing with me though,

Complicated characters are fun to play as

The reason why I want to play as Shulk and Rosalina is because they're tough to pull off but once you get it right with them, it feels great

I'm still getting use to Shulk first then I'll get used to Rosalina

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I am loving Rosalina in this game.

So much.

She kicks so much butt.
Enjoy the game!!!
I am starting to get the hang of Rosalina now. I just hate my brother, I don't say he is powerful, he just played the game more than me. I will get my own game next week. Looking forward to the ones who add my FC!

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Complicated characters are fun to play as

The reason why I want to play as Shulk and Rosalina is because they're tough to pull off but once you get it right with them, it feels great

I'm still getting use to Shulk first then I'll get used to Rosalina
I got the custom move I wanted for rosalina...so I like her a lot better now. Starbit shot is so good ugh.

Palutena is feeling really right too...but only with a specific set up...ugh I'm going to be messing around with customs for a while.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I got the custom move I wanted for rosalina...so I like her a lot better now. Starbit shot is so good ugh.

Palutena is feeling really right too...but only with a specific set up...ugh I'm going to be messing around with customs for a while.
Take your time enjoying the game.
Do you have a Wii U? Will you still play the 3DS version when the game releases?

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Take your time enjoying the game.
Do you have a Wii U? Will you still play the 3DS version when the game releases?
I don't have a wiiU, but my friend does, and I said he is required to have frequent smashing dates with me.

But yes, on my own I will be playing the 3ds version a lot.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't have a wiiU, but my friend does, and I said he is required to have frequent smashing dates with me.

But yes, on my own I will be playing the 3ds version a lot.
Me too, however, my circle pad feels a bit slow rolling compare to my brother's 3ds.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Me too, however, my circle pad feels a bit slow rolling compare to my brother's 3ds.
....kirby's hammer charges now. I....I don't want to....but...it killed zelda at like 60 from the middle of the stage.....I might....alt kirby....dear lord. What is this game. WHAT IS MY LIFE.

But yeah 3ds scene will be around for a long while. the sales of the system alone spell it out.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
....kirby's hammer charges now. I....I don't want to....but...it killed zelda at like 60 from the middle of the stage.....I might....alt kirby....dear lord. What is this game. WHAT IS MY LIFE.

But yeah 3ds scene will be around for a long while. the sales of the system alone spell it out.
So many amazing effects on the 3ds version, even though it sometimes annoying in battle.
We still have time to wait for the new 3ds to come, let's just be patient.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So been playing Rosalina.

A few thing things.

She IS hard to use. It will take some getting used to before being comfortable enough with Rosalina. But with that said, she is indeed amazing. Been playing her so much. Rosalina and Luma go good together. <3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been spending time with Rosalina myself. At the moment, I've been stocking up on equipment to see which ones she can use.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Back after to playing some for glory matches. Holy cow she is good. I've been winning a lot of matches with her. No one knows the best way to deal with Luma. Even if they do try killing him.

I really love playing as her. So great. <3

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've completely meshed with her.

When I first started in For Glory, I ran into a player who was really good with a lot of characters. I kept making lots of silly mistakes and losing with most characters.

Every time I brought out Rosalina, though, I dominated.

And since then I've only gotten better.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Initial impression of Rosalina is that she is very very strong in this game.

Having a dettachable controllable hitbox / projectile sponge is HUGE. Good recovery, range in tilts, a way to deal with projectiles... this character is going to win tournaments.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So been playing Rosalina.

A few thing things.

She IS hard to use. It will take some getting used to before being comfortable enough with Rosalina. But with that said, she is indeed amazing. Been playing her so much. Rosalina and Luma go good together. <3
I've been spending time with Rosalina myself. At the moment, I've been stocking up on equipment to see which ones she can use.
I've completely meshed with her.

When I first started in For Glory, I ran into a player who was really good with a lot of characters. I kept making lots of silly mistakes and losing with most characters.

Every time I brought out Rosalina, though, I dominated.

And since then I've only gotten better.
Nice to see you guys enjoying Rosalina! No wonder why there isn't much alerts in my Smashboards profile!
Now here is my entire Smash Bros rundown and look back. My thoughts on Rosalina.
The new Smash Bros game was annouced in E3 2011, at that time I haven't used internet much cuz I was only 14 but had played Smash Bros for a long time. I found the news on a youtube video of Iwata annoucing the new Smash Bros game. I was hyped and trying to know every detail about it.
However, me and probably most of us forgot about this after 2012 E3, at that time I spend most of my time on schoolwork and playing Brawl.
In 2013, hype was back again when they said the gameplay of the new Smash Bros will be at E3 2013. I was hyped of the gameplay but a little disappointed that it was just called for 3ds and for Wii U, and there will be no story mode cutscenes, but after that I check Smash Bros screenshots every day since then.
Over the screenshots there was always leaks and rumors appearing, I didn't take most of the leak seriously. The only leak that I believed was Palutena leak.
My most hyped newcomer annoucement of course was Rosalina, that time many people saying they want Waluigi, Daisy, Bowser Jr to be in Smash Bros. Sakurai made a very wise choice for putting her in Smash Bros, she is really a female mascot of Nintendo now.
March was kind of silent since no newcomer revealed. April however we get a lot of information in Smash Bros Direct, and many veterans returned.
The last big event before the release of Smash Bros was E3 2014, Palutena and the most unexpected Pacman was also confirmed at this time. This was probably the time that I spend a lot of time on the internet.
The leak post in August was kind of a down blow no matter for the ones who believed or didn't believed the leak, Shulk was also confirmed at this time.
Now with the release of the 3ds version, I don't think this is over yet, we still have the Wii U version, and can't wait to get more information about the game.

Can't believe that Rosalina is really one of the toughest characters in Smash Bros now, and I don't think that anyone is mad for her being too overpowered.
I often use her up air and down air since they are efficient and great KO potential, so trying to trap opponents in air often.That's is how I manage to take down Greninja, which is Rosalina's biggest rival.
Her weakpoints of course are how helpless is Rosalina without Luma, and you will often lose Luma cuz you will be too focus on taking your opponents. And trying to save Luma will give yourself an opening, so a good dodging techinque is also required.( Her dodging style is sooo rad!!!!)
Her final Smash.....just try to to get your opponents in to the Star, and koed them whenever you have the chance.
Star bits don't really do much damage, but it can give damage to opponents from distance.
Gravational pull is super rad. Compare to Mario's cape and Villagers pocket. Her GP has more activate time than other's, and if there is any item, just use time move and the items will slowly pull near to you.
Once agian, have fun with the game, Rosalina fans, and I will also played the game after a week when I get my own game. There are many more secrets for us to discover, but again, enjoy this game!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom