• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Oh my gosh... VGBootCamp is definitely loving Rosalina & Luma! They've been playing as the Black & Yellow alt for nearly their entire stream! They are really showing off Rosalina & Luma's top tier potential. Lots of people are starting to like her. After a while, she's been pretty much winning all the matches against every character. SHE'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL AND GRAND!!
Ohhhhh. I hope they post lots of videos later involving her. Need to see all the potential. <3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh my gosh... VGBootCamp is definitely loving Rosalina & Luma!! They've been playing as the Black & Yellow alt for nearly their entire stream!! They are really showing off Rosalina & Luma's top tier potential. Lots of people are starting to like her. After a while, she's been pretty much winning all the matches against every character. SHE'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL AND GRAND!!

Seriously, it's just streaming Rosalina & Luma all day!! I can't wait to see them in tournament play!!
Do you have any information on Rosalina's gravity dilemma? I know that she's supposed to be floaty.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ahh, I had to be sick and going to bed when this happens. :c

Surprisingly though.....I'm really curious to see how the Mario VS Rosalina match up develops. Mario is a beast in this game, I've had a lot of fun with him in the demo today.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Do you have any information on Rosalina's gravity dilemma? I know that she's supposed to be floaty.
She is the fourth lightest character in the game, is extremely floaty (feels worse than Samus), and dies early if hit with a solid attack. That said, characters die later in general in this game, so a solid attack is likely going to be around 150 unless you **** up royally.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
She is the fourth lightest character in the game, is extremely floaty (feels worse than Samus), and dies early if hit with a solid attack. That said, characters die later in general in this game, so a solid attack is likely going to be around 150 unless you **** up royally.
I've got down the weight, but it's just how well she maneuvers in the air that I'm wondering about.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
She's above average, but she's not Jiggz or Wario if that's what you want. Think Samus still.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Ohhhhh. I hope they post lots of videos later involving her. Need to see all the potential. <3
Also, whenever Rosalina loses, they usually switch to Peach, Robin (Female), or some other female character for the most part. Plus, people are starting to complain that they want see someone else other than Rosalina & Luma. Guess they can't handle their sheer awesomeness!

Hmm... It's a little hard to say. I've been switching between ClashTournaments & VGBootCamp, and I haven't been watching recently since I just ate, but I've mostly been hearing RosaLuma over and over. Rosalina is definitely floaty, maybe a like a cross between Zelda and Samus floaty (hard to say), but definitely not heavy like Samus, even though she's a tall character. I'm having a difficult time determining how floaty / heavy she would be in general because whenever she's being launched, Luma usually takes some of the damage / knockback for her. That's probably why she seems so difficult to place.

So here's how I might put it:
She's floaty, has average to above average aerial mobility, and can be KO'd at fairly decent percents; generally around 90% or higher (depending on character). However, Luma really takes A LOT of hits and A LOT damage for her (against most characters), making her seem really difficult to KO Rosalina, when in reality she isn't. Take Luma out and she becomes the floaty, easy to knockout character everyone makes her out to be, but it can be tricky or difficult at times to knock Luma out if you aren't careful whenever one of them attacks. For now, that seems to be the best I can put it. I hope that answers your question.

Oh, by the way, Gravitational Pull doesn't really seem to do slow down like I hoped. She seems to slow down and shorten her jump, not her decent.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Oh my gosh... VGBootCamp is definitely loving Rosalina & Luma!! They've been playing as the Black & Yellow alt for nearly their entire stream!! They are really showing off Rosalina & Luma's top tier potential. Lots of people are starting to like her. After a while, she's been pretty much winning all the matches against every character. SHE'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL AND GRAND!!

Seriously, it's just streaming Rosalina & Luma all day!! I can't wait to see them in tournament play!!
I have to admit I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised, but still surprised. Rosalina doesn't strike me as the type of character that people would gravitate to like that. I'm glad they're doing well with her though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone have a clear idea on how mobile Rosalina is while she's on the ground? Running speed info would be appreciated too.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
One more thing! I cannot stress enough how much of an asset Luma is for Rosalina players. Seriously, Luma's pretty much your main source of racking up damage fast, and he's also your saving grace.

For RosaLuma players: Luma is extremely valuable! (almost more so than Rosalina herself). Don't let him die easily or get knocked out. You wanna keep Luma in there for as long as you can (just like Nana with IC's). If you aren't a very precise player, almost all of your attacks will hit or miss, but when it does miss, you can get punished very heavily whenever Luma isn't around. When Luma is around though, Luma can make up a lot of your mistakes by attacking faster, or taking hits for you. If you wanna get risky, you'd better do it quick and early in the game, or if your opponent is at a high percent while you aren't. That way Luma can respawn in your time of need if KO'd. Wanna get damage fast? Be with Luma. Wanna combo and punish? Be separate from Luma. Wanna KO? You can be together or separate from Luma (I'd recommend KOing with Luma for a better guarantee).

Fighting RosaLuma players: The highest priority on your list is getting rid of Luma. SERIOUSLY, KILL THAT THING AS FAST AS YOU CAN. I may seem like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Luma will be the biggest thorn in your side that you gotta take out. Trying to attack both of them can set you up really easily for punishment and being for being pressured. You gotta focus on one or the other during the beginning. Later on, if you think both are at perfect KO percent, then by all means, go ahead and go for the kill. Otherwise be patient. I can definitely see RosaLuma players being extremely patient as going in all out might not be the best idea for them. Being patient is key (mostly when Luma is there though).

This is all I got for now, but later on I'll say more on what I think.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Does anyone feel sad whenever a Luma get's KO'd or dies? That sad, little sound they make is really heartbreaking. Luma are so cute! I can't bear to watch them suffer or inflict suffering onto them! :sadeyes:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Does anyone have a clear idea on how mobile Rosalina is while she's on the ground? Running speed info would be appreciated too.
Mid speed. She has no business dashing at an opponent though. You want to dash away and throw an aerial or pivot FTilt/DTilt/FSmash if you're trying to make use of dash speed. That or pivot grab.

Your dash attack is booty cheeks.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Mid speed. She has no business dashing at an opponent though. You want to dash away and throw an aerial or pivot FTilt/DTilt/FSmash if you're trying to make use of dash speed. That or pivot grab.

Your dash attack is booty cheeks.
Wait... What? She has a butt-blast move - that sounds so wrong, but you get the idea - for her dash attack?

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
It's use in getting Luma to do its thing is the only use of the move. When you press the button, you are locked into the move for waaaaaaay too long before an unsafe attack with poor reward comes out.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
No. Her dash attack is trash, terrible, poor, bad, and other adjectives with negative connotations.
Oh. Well, when you said "booty cheeks" I thought it mean something like Peach's side B. If you had said it was "trash", "weak", or just plain "booty", then it would have been a little more understandable.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
It's use in getting Luma to do its thing is the only use of the move. When you press the button, you are locked into the move for waaaaaaay too long before an unsafe attack with poor reward comes out.
I generally find the dash attack being used to make Luma go a bit further than Rosalina (when separate), or as a spacing option (or maybe taking off pressure I think). When it does connect, it can send the opponent a decent distance to relieve some pressure off Rosalina. Still, it's definitely a risky option.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So the dash attack is basically just as risky to use as King Dedede's dash attack. I'm probably guessing that you're better off doing dash grabs if you don't have the Luma with you.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I generally find the dash attack being used to make Luma go a bit further than Rosalina (when separate), or as a spacing option (or maybe taking off pressure I think). When it does connect, it can send the opponent a decent distance to relieve some pressure off Rosalina. Still, it's definitely a risky option.
Uh, everytime Luma gets KOed, I always have a hard time KOing people.
And did anyone try to use the US demo local play with the Japanese demo?
@ Shirma Akayaku Shirma Akayaku , you tried the game right?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That's kind of the point of trying to keep the Luma safe. If you lose it, switch to defense until a new Luma spawns.
And I use her in Multi man smash, GOD! She is so powerful! I can use her ko many multi man with her up air.
And @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , if you got the demo can you try to local play with the Japanese demo? I am really worried if different regions can local play or not.
So some Japanese forum goers are forming tier lists (somewhat based on performance in For Glory), and many people are considering Rosalina top tier!

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...ay-2-super-smash-bros-tier-impressions-japan/

Of course, this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but I think it's lovely to see people have high early impressions of Rosalina.
Hmm... I think having a tier list might be a bit too early.

Last edited:

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
The more I see and hear about Rosalina, the more and more I get giddy to play as her. Nnng! Love her so much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And I use her in Multi man smash, GOD! She is so powerful! I can use her ko many multi man with her up air.
And @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , if you got the demo can you try to local play with the Japanese demo? I am really worried if different regions can local play or not.
I have the demo, but there's no one near me who even has a 3DS.

Hmm... I think having a tier list might be a bit too early.
Same here. Tier lists take a lot of time to develop, as the past set of tier lists have shown.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What bothers me about Rosalina isn't her weight more than it's her size for her weight class. What makes it more odd is the fact that in all game appearances with weight mechanics (Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Kart 8), she is either a heavy character (Wii) or a mid-heavy (7 and 8). Why they would make her such a light weight in Smash 4 is well beyond me.

They did the same for Mewtwo in Melee, a 269 lbs. Pokémon being a light character, all the while, Snake, a human who wighed 165 lbs. is treated as a super heavyweight, outweighing even fatasses, like King Dedede, Charizard, and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298

Peach and Rosalina size comparison in Smash Bros.
If Peach was hugging Rosalina, her head would fall gently, slightly above Rosalina's chest. It's like the perfect mother-daughter height. Game Conspiracy Theory reference lol.

----------------

By the way, on VGBootCamp's stream, when I saw Luma being trapped by Sheik's F-Tilt over and over, Rosalina was having a hard time getting Luma back (Sheik is on left, Luma's in next to Sheik, Rosa's on the far right).

With Luma in constant hitstun, calling back Luma wouldn't work, so the Rosalina player dash attacked to save Luma. Now, if that situation were to happen again in a few months from now, that would be extremely risky. Dash Attacking could set Rosalina up easily for punish, and jabbing after dash attacking isn't exactly fool-proof against fast players like Sheik. Dash Attacking may cancel / clash with Sheik's F-Tilt, but after that, you only have so many options, you're putting yourself in a tricky situation. Taking an aerial approach is difficult too. Rosalina's Dair might hit, but if Sheik stops F-Tilting Luma and shields / rolls / spot dodges Rosa's Dair (or if Dair misses), Sheik can immediately attack with almost anything, and guess what? Luma still is in hitstun until he touches the ground, so he can't help you if Sheik is attacking you.

So another aerial approach is Rosa's Bair and I don't know if it's less risky than Dair (Bair has more landing lag than Dair though). So after Bairing, if Sheik Rolls left, Luma can finally touch the ground and act out of hitstun because Sheik won't be near Luma to attack again, but Sheik can attack Rosalina without fear of being hit by Luma since Luma's on the right of Rosalina. If Sheik rolls right, then the opposite might happen, trapping Luma again. However, if Rosa's Bair is shielded by Shiek, Sheik has few options. Either roll since rolls are buffed up, jump, or attack. If Sheik attacks Rosalina, Luma has already been out of hitstun and can attack Sheik. If Sheik attacks Luma, Rosalina can punish Sheik and follow up with Luma shortly. I'd write more but I can't think properly at the moment. My brain's fried.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If Peach was hugging Rosalina, her head would fall gently, slightly above Rosalina's chest. It's like the perfect mother-daughterheight. Game Conspiracy Theory reference lol.
That sounds more like the start of a hentai than being anything to do with mother-daughter relationships.

As for that Sheik dilemma above, I don't see the problem:

By the way, on VGBootCamp's stream, when I saw Luma being trapped by Sheik's F-Tilt over and over, Rosalina was having a hard time getting Luma back (Sheik is on left, Luma's in next to Sheik, Rosa's on the far right).
Unless Rosalina is already really far away from Luma, Sheik doing this would not be practical at all. If Rosalina is close by, she could Down tilt or Down Smash Sheik easily while she's doing the F-tilt lock. Heck, you don't even need to attack, just hop towards Sheik's back and she'll be forced to move and stop bullying Luma. Sheik could start attacking Rosalina to do this, but she'll be so predictable coming out of that F-Tilt that dodging will be easy, especially if you're already near the ground to begin with.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You must remember, however, that the Luma is the key to Rosalina's offensive power. By bullying the Luma, Sheik can eventually finish it off, limiting Rosalina's offensive options for a while.

What bothers me about Rosalina isn't her weight more than it's her size for her weight class. What makes it more odd is the fact that in all game appearances with weight mechanics (Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Kart 8), she is either a heavy character (Wii) or a mid-heavy (7 and 8). Why they would make her such a light weight in Smash 4 is well beyond me.

They did the same for Mewtwo in Melee, a 269 lbs. Pokémon being a light character, all the while, Snake, a human who wighed 165 lbs. is treated as a super heavyweight, outweighing even fatasses, like King Dedede, Charizard, and Ganondorf.
Nothing good ever comes to a tall and very light fighter, as Melee's Mewtwo has shown us. Even Meta Knight is heavier than Rosalina, and as an additional bonus, he's a short fighter.

Based on past Smash Bros. tier lists, it's often the very mobile fighters who are short in height, who are portrayed as the best; Pikachu in SSB; Fox in Melee; Meta Knight in Brawl. Rosalina doesn't even come close to those criteria requirements.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, but my point is that Sheik realistically can't bully Luma unless Rosalina is very far away, as Rosalina will either just hit her, or can threaten to and therefore make Sheik have to dodge roll.

And her size/weight combo doesn't mean as much as it did for Mewtwo because Mewtwo didn't have an extra helper.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

I believe in a pic of the day, Sakurai blamed an anti-gravity device.

I've always just said she wasn't fat, she just had space princess gravity powers.

In any case, I think people are grossly overstating the cost of letting Luma die. Never, ever, ever, ever, put yourself at risk to save Luma. Obviously, don't TRY to get Luma killed, but the respawn time is short. I didn't count exactly how long, but I'll pull up the information at some point today.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The respawn time is only 7-8 seconds, as far as I know.

And the light weight is apparently due to an "anti gravity effect".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom