• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
well for best over all camping, in doubles, a villager/rosalina team up may prove troublesome for thier foes.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I'm just really glad another female character made it in! :) Can't wait to play as her! Her story from SMG was so sad...
I'm hoping though that this doesn't hurt Paper Mario's or Geno's chances to get in now that we have 5 Mario ch. and most likely Yoshi, Wario, DK, etc. to come.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At this point, only Bowser Jr. has a chance of making it as a potential 6th Mario rep, but a lot of people simply think that with Rosalina being confirmed, there's no hope left for the Koopa Prince. Like I've brought up before, Rosalina's inclusion doesn't necessarily mean that the other Mario reps are out for good (look at the Pokemon franchise reps for Brawl), but having more than six Mario reps would be overkill at this point.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I love the idea for this character, or characters? Think of the combos you can do with this!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know if anyone else thought about this, but part of me thinks that Rosalina's battling behavior could be similar to how Bisharp operates in the wild.

With Bisharp, it has its Pawniard minions weaken its adversary before finishing it off. In a similar scenario, Rosalina would have her Luma partner rack up her adversary's damage before she delivers any finishing blows.

Doesn't this seem quite amusing for a coincidence?

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Well that's how puppet characters are
In a way olimar is the same way
But he uses minions all the way to get them, doesn't really get his hands dirty lol
But I honestly don't care if mario games gets over repped I mean as long as they are unique
Like no clones
I don't care if other series get over repped in that case
I just want many characters with unique or visually stunning move sets

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Kinda curious as to if the move can be moved similarly to Zelda's Dinfire (That'd be some crazy good off stage pressure), and just how far Luma can be away from Rosalina.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Kinda curious as to if the move can be moved similarly to Zelda's Dinfire (That'd be some crazy good off stage pressure), and just how far Luma can be away from Rosalina.
Sakurai, to me, sounded like he was implying that there are only two distances, but he didn't explicitly say.

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. This is the Luma Shot, which highlights the different ways to control your Luma. You can switch between controlling the Luma alongside Rosalina or away from her.
I actually like that idea, because I think that might mean Luma would come barreling back toward you if used the move again. Meaning that Luma's retreat is not only quick, but may also be an attack.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Sakurai, to me, sounded like he was implying that there are only two distances, but he didn't explicitly say.

I actually like that idea, because I think that might mean Luma would come barreling back toward you if used the move again. Meaning that Luma's retreat is not only quick, but may also be an attack.
which is why I think: when luma is away from you, pressing forward B shoots luma forward more, while pressing backward B shoots luma toward you. and pressing neutral B will summon luma back to you.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hnggg I keep thinking of cool blockstring options, but I'm not sure how it'd work on a smash shield since mix ups to force crouches don't exist in this game lol. BUT THE SHIELD PRESSURE OPTIONS

I really really really really want to play this character~

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One thing does seem pretty certain though. Rosalina might end up being a nightmare for anyone who doesn't have any reliable long range attacks.

In fact, I bet Captain Falcon is feeling terrified as we speak.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
One thing does seem pretty certain though. Rosalina might end up being a nightmare for anyone who doesn't have any reliable long range attacks.

In fact, I bet Captain Falcon is feeling terrified as we speak.
Well, we don't know how much damage a Luma can take. She looks like she might be a nightmare for projectile based characters too, what with that redirection move she has.

Megaman has a lot to be worried about.

Hnggg I keep thinking of cool blockstring options, but I'm not sure how it'd work on a smash shield since mix ups to force crouches don't exist in this game lol. BUT THE SHIELD PRESSURE OPTIONS

I really really really really want to play this character~
I like just how little information Sakurai is giving us about the characters this time. The Dojo had updates where they told us how moves work. It's far more fun to speculate (Better business strategy too, as it builds hype) and also more fun to find things out for yourself.

which is why I think: when luma is away from you, pressing forward B shoots luma forward more, while pressing backward B shoots luma toward you.
Possible.

and pressing neutral B will summon luma back to you.
Seems sort of unnecessary. This could be her Standard B Move, pressing it summons a Luma, and once one it is summoned simply pressing B switches between long-range and short range. But it's most likely her Side B.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, we don't know how much damage a Luma can take. She looks like she might be a nightmare for projectile based characters too, what with that redirection move she has.

Megaman has a lot to be worried about.
Perhaps, but one will need to consider if the Luma summon is very fast; it seems that Rosalina can summon a Luma, regardless of her actions. In that scenario, even if the first Luma gets taken out, a new one could be summoned right off the bat to keep the pressure strong.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Perhaps, but one will need to consider if the Luma summon is very fast; it seems that Rosalina can summon a Luma, regardless of her actions. In that scenario, even if the first Luma gets taken out, a new one could be summoned right off the bat to keep the pressure strong.
I'm sure it wouldn't be automatic. That would be way too unfair and also make killing a Luma almost pointless.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm sure it wouldn't be automatic. That would be way too unfair and also make killing a Luma almost pointless.
All that I know is that the Luma summoning may be faster than people might think. As such, certain fighters may have to resort to using long range attacks to have any chance of getting to Rosalina before she uses the Luma Shot again.

One fighter that Rosalina may need to keep an eye on is Wolf, since the Fire Wolf isn't exactly easy to punish with the multiple hits that it can deliver.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But we see the exact length of the Luma Summon in Rosalina's trailer. And to be fair, it is actually fairly brief. So yeah, she can bring Luma back very quickly. It's likely the Lumas can take very little damage before exploding, at which point Rosalina needs to summon another. On small stage like Battlefield, though, the time it takes for her to finish summoning a Luma is enough for most characters to get a hit in on her. Fast characters will literally be there before she knows it. However, if Luma's can be summoned while falling, then one possible strategy for Rosalina is to jump away from the stage, summon Luma while falling, and then use the Launch Star to get back up (it goes REALLY far, so it would actually be easy).

I also noticed another little tidbit - at the end of the gameplay portion of the trailer, Rosalina flicks her wand, and the Luma comes back to her from off-camera. This implies that she can indeed call Luma back at will. Other points of the trailer show that Luma simply moves away from her as it attacks.

Dodging the Luma shot will be no problem though. It's shown off in the trailer. The range of it is pretty solid, though that may be it's weakness - if you just ran head first towards it, short hopped and air dodged (Sonic does this to get by Samus' Charge Shot in his trailer), you're already past Luma. Then you just have to peg it towards Rosalina. Of course, she could call Luma back, but Luma seems to take some time to get back to Rosalina, especially if it were a large stage.

This is assuming a one-on-one scenario, though. Rosalina may have a huge advantage in matches involving more than one opponent, though. However, Luma will likely bite the dust more quickly. How effective a fighter Rosalina is entirely depends on how good her own attacks are. I don't think fully relying on Luma is a good option.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
using luma to safely edgegaurd, continue/start combos, and even use a shield seems like the best way to use luma.

my best idea is to play as rosalina without luma, to figure out her power, stats and such, and then find ways for luma to come in and enhance your playstyle.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that I hope for is that Rosalina's dash grabs are actually worth using. All the other Mario reps have rather lousy dash grabs, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I feel that a match involving multiple opponents may require Rosalina to have to resort to camping to avoid being ganged up on at all directions. If Rosalina stays near a ledge, however, opponents won't be able to attack her from behind so easily.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
or like a place like battlefield, you have the platforms, so rosalina can camp below, while having luma cover the you from above by camping on the platform.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I actually have to disagree on her having the advantage over a character like Mega Man. Mega Man controls long range and space in general well as that's what he is built for. A Luma would likely be a very short term meatshield vs a character who at any time can have a projectile move 360 degrees around him at all times. Her redirection would probably suffer from a problem similar to Villagers item grab, she'll stop a few shots only to be opened up to even more shots right after. Not to mention the large problems that could open up with having a Luma with a Crash Bomb attached to it.

As said, she'll likely be best against characters who can't fight a long-mid range game, or who have bad shield options (Hi Yoshi)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Though that all depends on how competent she herself fights. Plus, that Launch Star makes for amazing getaways. And her movement speed seems solid to begin with.

Mega Man does look like a beast to play as, though. But so does Rosalina. It's hard to call this right now, as the trailers try to make the star character look like a complete badass.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't know about her Up B being a good getaway, since it seems a bit slow, and depending on landing lag, a character who's fast enough to catch up to her can punish her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know about her Up B being a good getaway, since it seems a bit slow, and depending on landing lag, a character who's fast enough to catch up to her can punish her.
It also doesn't really help when you're literally helpless after using the third jump. The story would've been different, however, if Rosalina was only in a semi-helpless state (like Sonic after he uses the Spring Jump) after using the third jump.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But the thing about it is, it's trajectory is adjustable. At least in what seems like a 140 degree radius above her. I'm not saying it will be a broken move, but on the right stage, it will be a great get away. Less so against faster characters, but still of use. We also don't actually know if she will be helpless after using it. Wouldn't surprise me if she was, but still, we haven't seen anything that suggests that yet. The parts in the trailer where she uses it show her and the Luma on their own, and it's just done for cinematic effect.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I really hope it's not as hard as it seems to control both Rosalina and the Luma at the same time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I actually have to disagree on her having the advantage over a character like Mega Man. Mega Man controls long range and space in general well as that's what he is built for. A Luma would likely be a very short term meatshield vs a character who at any time can have a projectile move 360 degrees around him at all times. Her redirection would probably suffer from a problem similar to Villagers item grab, she'll stop a few shots only to be opened up to even more shots right after. Not to mention the large problems that could open up with having a Luma with a Crash Bomb attached to it.

As said, she'll likely be best against characters who can't fight a long-mid range game, or who have bad shield options (Hi Yoshi)
Yeah, with Mega Man being able to spam his standard attack while walking, simply using the Star Barrier will leave Rosalina vulnerable long enough for Mega Man to approach her safely. Being able to protect yourself from projectiles would be good if the opposing fighter's projectile options are limited, but Mega Man is a projectile utility belt, and may probably be one of the very few projectile spammers who can actually give Rosalina a run for her money. Most other projectile users can't spam their projectiles as quickly as Mega Man, and the ones who can can't move and attack at the same time, such as Fox and his Blaster; Fox may try to spam Blaster on Rosalina, but it won't get him anywhere, thanks to Rosalina's Star Barrier, and he can't move while using the attack either.

It's a shame that the Star Barrier only redirects projectiles, whereas, Fox's Reflector can easily ruin all of Mega Man's projectile options.

If you look carefully, you can see her model flashing, which would strongly suggest a Helpless State.
Unless this is subject to change, the helpless state after performing the third jump may prove to be very problematic for Rosalina's recovery while she's facing a very mobile opponent. Oddly, Sonic's Spring Jump gives him roughly the same vertical travel distance, and he can still fight back to ensure that his recovery is successful.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, with Mega Man being able to spam his standard attack while walking
I actually doubt it will be as spammable as it looks at first glance. In the actual Mega Man games, you can only have three of your Mega Buster pellets on screen at any time, which would imply it's only a semi-automatic weapon. This trait is even in the X series. Mega Man's play style looks almost identical to how he actually plays in his games, even in relation to movement speed and jump arcs. So I would imagine this trait will carry over, as it's a pretty iconic one that a lot of people are aware of. It may need to be adapted due to the dynamic camera of Smash (maybe have it so that you can fire three consecutive shots, and then you can't fire more pellets until one second has passed), but I think this trait will make it in somehow. It would be perfectly fitting, as many characters in Smash have generic three hit combos for their basic attacks.

Another note about Mega Buster pellets is that they don't make enemies flinch in the actual Mega Man games, and they do minimal damage. So I honestly think their threat is minimal to Rosalina (especially if she used the Luma as a shield while approaching him), and other characters in general. I imagine a great strategy for Sonic to use against Mega Man will be to just charge headfirst through Mega Man's pellets, and get hits in on Mega Man before he has even finished the animation for shooting them. You may take a tiny bit of damage, but it would be inconsequential, especially if you get a nice combo in on Mega Man.

So the Star Barrier would leave you open to Mega Man if you used it against his Mega Buster pellets, but it's not like those pellets warrant using it. Fox could reflect them, but even that could be a flawed option, because if they don't make others flinch, then sending them back at Mega Man is likely not going to make him flinch either.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I actually doubt it will be as spammable as it looks at first glance. In the actual Mega Man games, you can only have three of your Mega Buster pellets on screen at any time, which would imply it's only a semi-automatic weapon. This trait is even in the X series. Mega Man's play style looks almost identical to how he actually plays in his games, even in relation to movement speed and jump arcs. So I would imagine this trait will carry over, as it's a pretty iconic one that a lot of people are aware of. It may need to be adapted due to the dynamic camera of Smash (maybe have it so that you can fire three consecutive shots, and then you can't fire more pellets until one second has passed), but I think this trait will make it in somehow. It would be perfectly fitting, as many characters in Smash have generic three hit combos for their basic attacks.

Another note about Mega Buster pellets is that they don't make enemies flinch in the actual Mega Man games, and they do minimal damage. So I honestly think their threat is minimal to Rosalina (especially if she used the Luma as a shield while approaching him), and other characters in general. I imagine a great strategy for Sonic to use against Mega Man will be to just charge headfirst through Mega Man's pellets, and get hits in on Mega Man before he has even finished the animation for shooting them. You may take a tiny bit of damage, but it would be inconsequential, especially if you get a nice combo in on Mega Man.

So the Star Barrier would leave you open to Mega Man if you used it against his Mega Buster pellets, but it's not like those pellets warrant using it. Fox could reflect them, but even that could be a flawed option, because if they don't make others flinch, then sending them back at Mega Man is likely not going to make him flinch either.
This is true, once you fire 3 the move is finished. Doesn't mean you have to use 3 though. The buster also isn't exactly a long range option, as it only covers around half of Battlefield. Combined with the likelyhood of not being able to walk backwards and fire, it makes it more an approaching mid range tool. Think of it like a REALLY long limb.

The buster flinches but its a very very brief hitstun, as can be seen in the Mario vs Mega Man fight. Sonic would be stopped in his approach in ther words.

It's more to pester a character, which in Rosalina's case would prevent her from summoning a new Luma. However Mega Man would want to stay away where he can use his Metal Blade (All directions), Crash Bomb, Leaf Shield (Horizontal) Air Shooter (Vertical Up) Hard Knuckle (Vertical Down) to control and attack Rosalina from all angles. Against Mega Man her barrier is best used against the Metal Blade attack, as it's an item she can then pick up and use herself. But I digress, this thread isn't about MM or Sonic after all.

When fighting a long range opponent like Mega Man, it's important to as Rosalina approach. In her trailer we see the Luma can be used as a meat shield while she goes in and punishes. This likely would not work against Mega Man however, as Leaf Shield and Metal Blade go through characters, and thus would go through Luma and hit Rosalina anyway. Your best avenue against him would be in close, but your Luma is essentially useless for getting you in, so you need to go the old fashion way, just like a character would against someone like Falco. On the note of Fox, the best he could hope to do with his Blaster is to get through Luma and kill it, but it would just leave him open for attack, plus Fox would likely be rushing you down. Samus would have a horrible time trying to attack and would be forced to go in. The Link's its hard to say since they have Boomerangs and Bombs, but at the very least, it'd make it harder for them to zone and Rosalina would likely be able to Star Shield and use the Bombs herself, just to name a few examples. Once you have your Luma set up you can then proceed to frame trap/shield pressure/control the stage to your hearts content though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm personally not too worried about Rosalina's performance against others in general. Like Mega Man, she seems incredibly versatile.

And in general, I feel discussing character balancing right now is mostly speculative, as everything is still subject to change. Especially since this iteration of Smash is patch-able. And we don't know enough about Rosalina to really know what strengths and weaknesses she will have. I'm still waiting on more info on how Luma works, myself. There isn't a lot to go on so far.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I recently had a thought, regarding Rosalina's third jump...

From what I could recall, whenever Mario used a Launch Star in Super Mario Galaxy, he's safe from being attacked while traveling to another planet. What if Rosalina is given invincibility frames while performing her third jump?

Basically, when Rosalina uses the Launch Star to send herself flying, she'll be given invincibility frames, which prevent her from flinching against any incoming attacks; she'll still take damage from the attacks, however. And if Rosalina hits any opponents, they'll take some damage and be sent flying. The invincibility frames would last until Rosalina enters a helpless state.

If Rosalina's third jump has invincibility frames, it may make up for its helpless state drawbacks, and render most edge-guarding maneuvers useless.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's certainly a possibility. Other characters have invincibility frames in quirky places.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I recently had a thought, regarding Rosalina's third jump...

From what I could recall, whenever Mario used a Launch Star in Super Mario Galaxy, he's safe from being attacked while traveling to another planet. What if Rosalina is given invincibility frames while performing her third jump?

Basically, when Rosalina uses the Launch Star to send herself flying, she'll be given invincibility frames, which prevent her from flinching against any incoming attacks; she'll still take damage from the attacks, however. And if Rosalina hits any opponents, they'll take some damage and be sent flying. The invincibility frames would last until Rosalina enters a helpless state.

If Rosalina's third jump has invincibility frames, it may make up for its helpless state drawbacks, and render most edge-guarding maneuvers useless.
That would make her almost impossible to successfully edgegaurd. Not that a edgeguard-immune character has never been done before (looking at you, Meta Knight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom