• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I decided to do up a size comparison for Rosalina. After studying the Mario Kart Wii models, it appears that the position of Peach's amulet aligns with Rosalina's belly. This basically would mean that Rosalina would have to at least be as tall as Samus, if not taller. Anyway, for the image...

[collapse=Size Comparison]Rosalina, Peach, Samus, & Ganondorf

Note: I didn't use an actual Rosalina model. I instead used a Peach vertex hack, which makes her resemble Rosalina.[/collapse]

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
ooh, I likey. Rosalina could have a ton of gameplay variety, what with the lumas and starstuff. Also, a more heavyweight, yet graceful. we could use some a' that.

Plus brawl didn't really get a new mario rep(the wario was clearly from warioware, his own series now), in fact, it had one less (doc). I think it's time we get a new mario rep. I think Rosalina represents kind of the newer mario games, at least the 3D ones. I could see her actually having a fair chance of being a new character.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I decided to do up a size comparison for Rosalina. After studying the Mario Kart Wii models, it appears that the position of Peach's amulet aligns with Rosalina's belly. This basically would mean that Rosalina would have to at least be as tall as Samus, if not taller. Anyway, for the image...

[collapse=Size Comparison]Rosalina, Peach, Samus, & Ganondorf

Note: I didn't use an actual Rosalina model. I instead used a Peach vertex hack, which makes her resemble Rosalina.[/collapse]
So she would indeed be in the 7-8 range in height on a scale of 1 to 10. Also, considering her size, and how she's portrayed in Mario Kart in terms of weight class, it would be a safe bet that she would be on the heavier side (about R.O.B.'s weight) in a Smash Bros. game, wouldn't she?
Plus brawl didn't really get a new mario rep(the wario was clearly from warioware, his own series now), in fact, it had one less (doc). I think it's time we get a new mario rep. I think Rosalina represents kind of the newer mario games, at least the 3D ones. I could see her actually having a fair chance of being a new character.
You make a very interesting point with the Mario rep in that it does in fact lose one (Dr. Mario) while gaining none, even with the appearance of Wario. People can argue that Wario is technically a Mario character, but then the same could technically be said for the likes of Donkey Kong, who also debut alongside Mario. On top of that - not counting party/sports games - the only Mario game Wario appears in from what I can remember is Super Mario Land 2 as the primary antagonist, and is the only Mario game that I know where he ever had such a role. Everything else was pretty much his own series.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
yepyep. plus wario's main costume (much to my dismay) is his wario ware one, along with his special move's themes. I much prefer his wario land stuff. I think we're due another true Mario rep, and I think Rosalina is at least near the top of the list.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So she would indeed be in the 7-8 range in height on a scale of 1 to 10. Also, considering her size, and how she's portrayed in Mario Kart in terms of weight class, it would be a safe bet that she would be on the heavier side (about R.O.B.'s weight) in a Smash Bros. game, wouldn't she?
Being tall doesn't necessarily mean that you're heavy though. Mario is shorter than Zero Suit Samus, and yet he's heavier than her.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
True enough, though given her portrayal in the past two Mario Kart games, it would seem a bit weird to make her a light or even a mid-weight character.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I feel like Zero Suit Samus should definitely be heavier than Mario because she's 6'3" and 198 pounds. Rosalina is the weight class before Wario and Wario is 308 pounds, while Rosalina is in the same weight class as Donkey Kong, the overall heaviest character in this game. Mewtwo is 200 pounds and a light weight in Melee. Nothing makes any sense, but I just want Rosalina to be a heavy weight.

:phone:

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Yaaay she has a support thread i looked and looked and all most panicked lol..But i think she has a chance i hope we see a galaxy level i'd love for the slide theme to be in smash 4.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've updated my stats for Rosalina. Go to the following post link to see them...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14634683&postcount=33
Updated the OP to reflect the change.
Yaaay she has a support thread i looked and looked and all most panicked lol..But i think she has a chance i hope we see a galaxy level i'd love for the slide theme to be in smash 4.
Yeah, I believe she has a good chance for inclusion, but we can never know for sure. Whether she does become a newcomer or not, I am rather confident that a Mario Galaxy themed stage will be in Smash 4, and if not that, then most certainly some music from the game. I will be shocked if nothing from Galaxy made it into Smash 4, to be honest.

D

Deleted member

First off, while she does have a big fan base within the Mario community, that doesn't necessarily mean that she has a big fan base within the Smash community, which is where Sakurai is going to be looking for newcomers in.

While Rosalina does pass the second, third, and fourth criteria, she fails the first (and the hardest) one as the requests for her pales in comparison to Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi, not to mention that she has less potentials for appeal than any of these four. Sakurai will also upheld a very high expectation for Mario newcomers and Rosalina does not meet that. The only two games where she is important is in the Super Mario Galaxy series and now that looks to be over, it is likely that she will never again appear in a mainstream game.

I seriously doubt that Rosalina is going to be in SSB4. If there is a Mario newcomer, Sakurai will likely pick either Toad, Bowser Jr., or Paper Mario for the spot. Even Waluigi is more likely, but given how little he has accomplished, his chances are slim.

D

Deleted member

Are you going to go around every fricking thread and spouting how characters are unlikely because they don't meet vague criteria that for the most part, is countered at some point or another by more than half of Brawl's cast?

Seriously, it's just as annoying as seeing PlasmaCannon going "DURR INELLIGIBLE FOR SMASH" in every topic about a non-video game character even when it's just hypotheticals on Gamefaqs.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
I don't have a problem with her making it in, but I would feel a bit betrayed if she got a spot instead of other Mario characters like Toad and even Daisy who have been the franchise way longer and are more important. And for those who say that they wouldn't have good move sets, that's not true. Samurai and everyone else can just be creative, hey they had to make one up for cap tin falcon, so they can do the same for Toad and Daisy also. As I previously said, having Rosalina would be great, but if she gets priority over other characters that were in the franchise longer, that just wouldn't be right

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't have a problem with her making it in, but I would feel a bit betrayed if she got a spot instead of other Mario characters like Toad and even Daisy who have been the franchise way longer and are more important. And for those who say that they wouldn't have good move sets, that's not true. Samurai and everyone else can just be creative, hey they had to make one up for cap tin falcon, so they can do the same for Toad and Daisy also. As I previously said, having Rosalina would be great, but if she gets priority over other characters that were in the franchise longer, that just wouldn't be right

Rosalina's priority is lower than that of Toad and Bowser Jr.. Not so much for Daisy, as she only had one mainstream appearance, and has become a spin-off exclusive afterwards. Likewise, Waluigi is also a spin-off exclusive, but unlike Daisy, he doesn't have any mainstream appearances whatsoever.

jigglover

Smash Lord
It's more than likely that Rosalina will be spin-off exclusive now. Unless Nintendo makes Mario galaxy 3 which will then turn into new super mario galaxy about a decade after galaxy three and actually be de ja vu of the mario bros series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's more than likely that Rosalina will be spin-off exclusive now. Unless Nintendo makes Mario galaxy 3 which will then turn into new super mario galaxy about a decade after galaxy three and actually be de ja vu of the mario bros series.
Yeah, if Rosalina doesn't get in another main Mario game (Galaxy 3 or whatever), she is in danger of becoming another Daisy.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
How about a mario platformer with a galaxy themed level?? But Rosalina isn't quite important enough to warrant a playable character. assist trophy no doubt.though

jigglover

Smash Lord
This might be stretching it, but I think she'll get a sticker! :troll:
Right now, I believe she has more priority over Daisy, Waluigi and Geno. Before the Walugi fans get mad at me, he's had equal appearances in video games to Daisy, and one of hers was mainstream, don't turn another thread into a Waluigi thread and don't comment on the previous statement. Anyway, Geno is obvious why not, if she doesn't get into smash 4, then she can only get into smash 5 with another mainstream game or two inbetween, which may or may not be likely until Nintendo comments further on her. I sincerely believe right now that she can become another Daisy, or maybe even replace her, but I doubt it.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind her at all. Much better choice than Waluigi or Daisy. She's a more interesting character overall. Better moveset potential without having to rely on spin-offs.

I hope she doesn't fall into the same pool as Daisy, Rosalina has much more going for her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
on the bata version of brawl she was an A.T. cut out IDK why though
My main complaint with the Assist Trophies is that their quality is weaker than that of the playable characters. I'd hate to see Rosalina end up in that dilemma.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My main complaint with the Assist Trophies is that their quality is weaker than that of the playable characters. I'd hate to see Rosalina end up in that dilemma.
If by "quality" you mean their actual character model, then yes, I can agree. I mean, it could be just a nitpick, but I find it unfair for the main cast to be so well designed and intricately detailed, while the Assist Trophies look like models that came from a spin-off Gamecube game, like Mario Party.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If by "quality" you mean their actual character model, then yes, I can agree. I mean, it could be just a nitpick, but I find it unfair for the main cast to be so well designed and intricately detailed, while the Assist Trophies look like models that came from a spin-off Gamecube game, like Mario Party.
That's pretty much what I mean. Practically all the Assist Trophy models have no finger bones (they basically make fists), and almost all of them never blink; Hammer Bro is capable of blinking, but its animations don't really offer that attribute.

Rosalina can easily be so much better than that, but her mainstream importance is heavily lacking. Lacking any fighting skills would also be a factor, but that's obviously negated with Peach's playable inclusion in Melee and Brawl.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If someone new from Mario series should be on SSB4, I vote for Rosalina.
It's a better choise than Daisy, sorry but it's my opinion.

Hey, did anyone known that this is the original Rosalina design?

And why Rosalina when she was a kid she doesn't haved blond hair, but orange instead? Below we can see her and her mother( Rosalina looks identical to her now)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like her old design. It looks like some kind of alien queen from a 50's sci fi

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was aware of her old design, though I'm glad they went with her current one; her original concept makes her look like a princess, and we already have enough princesses, so yeah. Of course, if they decide to use her original concept as an alternate costume, I wouldn't object.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Kinda weird for me to be looking at this old design and the current one. XD
But its good nonetheless, wouldn't mind seeing it as an alternate outfit.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty much what I mean. Practically all the Assist Trophy models have no finger bones (they basically make fists), and almost all of them never blink; Hammer Bro is capable of blinking, but its animations don't really offer that attribute.
I think that the Assist Trophy models in Brawl are crappy because they probably must've been added later on, which means that they probably didn't have enough time to make them good.
Or they were just plain lazy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It sounds like Rosalina's old voice actor, Mercedes Rose, won't be voicing Rosalina again any time soon. Or at least, that's what I've heard from the following post...

Anser said:
A month-old news, but I think it's worth to post it:

https://twitter.com/girlactor/status/223870044927565824

"I don't think I will be doing any other Rosalina. #Nintendo hired a different #VO actress for the last go-around. Silly them."

Why the hell did Nintendo hire a different voice actress? =/
Source: http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=20601.0

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It sounds like Rosalina's old voice actor, Mercedes Rose, won't be voicing Rosalina again any time soon. Or at least, that's what I've heard from the following post...

Source: http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=20601.0
I've read everything in that thread, and I have to say I'm just bummed out, because like everyone else and their mothers, I loved Mercedes Rose as Rosalina. This actually makes me not like Nintendo right now.

Also, digressing for just a tad, this reminds me of Wario's voice in Brawl; personally, I like his Mario Kart 64 voice the best, and the fact that such a voice was never recreated again made me disappointed... until Brawl's first trailer came out and we heard that MK64 voice again, which made me hyped with joygasm. But then Brawl came out and Wario had that deep voice again. It's not like they changed voice actors either, since Charles Martinet did the voice of Wario since MK64, so yeah, it's pretty much the same issue as far as I'm concerned.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Damn, that does suck. :( Still hope for the best for Rosalina though regarding placement in Sm4sh, even though she's got plenty competition as far as Mario characters...

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I think Rosalina would be a great choice for a character in ssb4. Though there would have to be a way to distinguish her from zelda and peach, as they all have dresses and look like a princess.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think Rosalina would be a great choice for a character in ssb4. Though there would have to be a way to distinguish her from zelda and peach, as they all have dresses and look like a princess.
Distinguishing her from Peach and Zelda should be rather easy from a moveset perspective, as she has quite a few unique toys to work with, including Lumas and starbits. As for appearance, I don't think they can do all that much to distinguish her in that sense.
Well, this is disappointing. :(
I wonder who they replaced her with...
EDIT: Nevermind.
Yeah, Kerri Kane isn't all that great. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's a good voice actress, but as Rosalina, she doesn't capture that warm, monotone voice that Rose provides. In MK Wii, Rosalina, even when winning, losing, or taking a hit still has that calm and collected voice. In MK7, Kane simply doesn't capture that, which - for me - takes away from Rosalina's uniqueness.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I am very disappointed that Mercedes Rose probably won't be doing Rosalina any time soon, but I still strongly support Rosalina's inclusion as a Mario rep in this game, even if she is not voiced by Rose. She is easily my first choice for a Mario newcomer.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I never did show the following logo here when I made it for the Official Smash Bros. 4 Character Logo / Icon Database and Requests Thread. It's basically the logo that Rosalina has used in her spin-off appearances.

I like that logo. It works rather well, actually. If made playable, I can see Nintendo doing one of several things: Make this Rosalina's logo, keep the regular star logo for Rosalina, or use this logo for all Mario series characters as a means to update the logo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only problem is that Kirby's logo is also a star. Of course, his franchise can always have its logo altered if needed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Rosalina doesn't get in at least she should be an alternate costume to Peach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom