• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say Peach and Daisy look "barely legal", they definitely look at least twenty imo

Also, who was Lumas mother? Who built the ship Rosalina found Luma in? What happened to Rosalinas family? How is Rosalina immortal (personally I think it has to do with having eaten Star Bits nearly exclusively after going into space)? How did the materials for her house she found buried in the icy comet even get there?

~It is a mystery~

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say Peach and Daisy look "barely legal", they definitely look at least twenty imo

Also, who was Lumas mother? Who built the ship Rosalina found Luma in? What happened to Rosalinas family? How is Rosalina immortal (personally I think it has to do with having eaten Star Bits nearly exclusively after going into space)? How did the materials for her house she found buried in the icy comet even get there?

~It is a mystery~
Luma's mother is Rosalina herself, but not in a genetic sense, but on the sense of the one that needs to care for Lumas.
Most likely Luma built the ship I guess? Either that or he found it between spatial junk.
The answers to the other questions are subjects to speculations, and most pf us here have a different theory, including me.

Luma's mother is Rosalina herself, but not in a genetic sense, but on the sense of the one that needs to care for Lumas.
Most likely Luma built the ship I guess? Either that or he found it between spatial junk.
The answers to the other questions are subjects to speculations, and most pf us here have a different theory, including me.
Well yeah, later Rosalina adopted Luma. But according to her storybook, when Rosalina first found Luma, it was already looking for its mother. That's why they set off in the first place: to find its mother.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Well yeah, later Rosalina adopted Luma. But according to her storybook, when Rosalina first found Luma, it was already looking for its mother. That's why they set off in the first place: to find its mother.
This too falls under speculation.
Some think that she was the mother he was looking for but didn't realize it until he encountered the apricot Luma.
Others think that the mother he is looking for doesn't exist.
I prefer the first, since that theory is fundamental for my headcanon, other than the fact that I'm not one for randomness

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
While it's true that Rosalina will still think about her deceased mother from time to time, at least the Lumas keep her company, so it's not like she's totally alone.
She def isn't, she's a surprisingly complex character, but she does have more of a stoic nature which is why she doesn't really smile as much as other Mario characters
Well, she is still sad about her mother, and take care of Lumas might just cheer her up a bit, since she is being like her generous mother.
I think it is cool for her to not smile much, looking at the crew artwork that almost every Mario series character smiles, that's what makes her unique for not smiling.
Rosalina
"Well.... this is awkward......"

My favorite screenshot of Rosalina.
Sorry to say this I don't like to see Rosalina with some ugly characters like Bowser and Wario. One extra is Bowser Jr. I will definitely HATE the screenshot of Rosalina with Bowser Jr.Bowser Jr. is still one character (Just him) that is my most unfavorite character and unnecessary character in Smash Bros, I am fine with most of the clones and secret newcomer Duck Hunt, but Bowser Jr.? Man, if I saw anymone use this little guy online I am gonna torture him for life!(WHAT ABOUT THE KOOPALINGS? Well, they are even more unecessary than Bowser Jr. but I actually like Ludwig, but only Ludwig)

~It is a mystery~
I think it might be Toads, just check how they go to space? Starshrooms!
YES! This is one of the part that why we love Rosalina! We know less about her deeper past, this may become a more profound issue. Even though I actually hope that Nintendo gives us more details about her, I think it is fine to be this way for now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, she is still sad about her mother, and take care of Lumas might just cheer her up a bit, since she is being like her generous mother.
I think it is cool for her to not smile much, looking at the crew artwork that almost every Mario series character smiles, that's what makes her unique for not smiling.
Sometimes I feel like Rosalina doesn't smile enough. Whenever Rosalina smiles, it really makes her feel more adoring, as it shows that she's a very caring and sweet girl to be around.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sometimes I feel like Rosalina doesn't smile enough. Whenever Rosalina smiles, it really makes her feel more adoring, as it shows that she's a very caring and sweet girl to be around.

Yeah, and I already noticed that you changed your avatar Smiling Rosalina pic into a brighter quality.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina's backstory isn't terribly long winded, but it has a ton of subtext that makes it a lot deeper.
And to explain why it's touching - picture yourself in the position of someone who just lost a loved one, and it just so happened you decided to play a fun looking game called Super Mario Galaxy to try and take your mind off of things. Then you get to the storybook, thinking it's just a cute hidden extra...then you get further in, and then, well....

Also, the instruction booklet for Galaxy states that despite the fact Rosalina has company in the Lumas, she has a lonely stare deep in her eyes (very apparent too by taking one look at her). The implication is that while she is able to get on with her life, the damage done by the loss of her family and her own delusion and eventual mental breakdown, has not gone away, and never will.

Their bodies are not well developed enough to look like that.

Peach looks more like an adult in Smash, but in anything else, her and Daisy definitely look barely legal.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina's backstory isn't terribly long winded, but it has a ton of subtext that makes it a lot deeper.
And to explain why it's touching - picture yourself in the position of someone who just lost a loved one, and it just so happened you decided to play a fun looking game called Super Mario Galaxy to try and take your mind off of things. Then you get to the storybook, thinking it's just a cute hidden extra...then you get further in, and then, well....

Also, the instruction booklet for Galaxy states that despite the fact Rosalina has company in the Lumas, she has a lonely stare deep in her eyes (very apparent too by taking one look at her). The implication is that while she is able to get on with her life, the damage done by the loss of her family and her own delusion and eventual mental breakdown, has not gone away, and never will.

Peach looks more like an adult in Smash, but in anything else, her and Daisy definitely look barely legal.
SMG is a great game for everyone to enjoy, Rosalina's story book is the one that made it more profound.
As I said before, after we read the story, we majorly know about her past. But of course, curious to know what happened to Rosalina's family? How did they died? Nintendo might not explain this to us yet, and probably never will since this may lead to some kind of a creepy theory or something. So I guess that let's not go too far and just wonder whether they will made another SMG on the Wii U, then we might know.
Peach looks more like an adult in Smash
To me she looks more pretty to be exact. Just what is the difference between her original look and Smash version kind of hard to tell, is it her nose or her eyes are slightly different?

Okay, recently Japan Nintendo upload a video on Youtube about some basic and advance mechanics.
And when they were about to explain the Directional Influence, the intro pic was this:
IMG_20141225_202828.JPG

Rosalina never become a punching bag in this video, but this is probably the only exception.

Oh yeah and one more note,
My brother got the Smash Bros puzzle swap today, man, it's about time. This is only in Japan for now, but perhaps I might be wrong. Did any of you guys got it?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That can probably explain why Rosalina doesn't smile much. She had to survive as an orphan at a young age, so the lack of any parents to love her can really take its toll. Sure, the Lumas might've saved Rosalina from a very lonely life, but the scars from having no loving parents for several years has just been way too severe for her to completely forget; Rosalina probably thinks about her deceased family every day, which further implies why she rarely smiles.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That can probably explain why Rosalina doesn't smile much. She had to survive as an orphan at a young age, so the lack of any parents to love her can really take its toll. Sure, the Lumas might've saved Rosalina from a very lonely life, but the scars from having no loving parents for several years has just been way too severe for her to completely forget; Rosalina probably thinks about her deceased family every day, which further implies why she rarely smiles.
Seeing you guys keep discussing about why she didn't smile made me checked Mariowiki for a moment, I think we had already summed the reason why she didn't smile smile. It was obvious that she lost her family. But Nintendo let us know in a child's view, young Rosalina just suddenly remembered about the days she have been with her family, at first I thought she was just homesick. But then when Rosalina said her mother is sleeping under the hill. It give me some time of thinking what was she talking about. Then I realized that her mother is probably dead. Well, one more time, I am just curious about the reason why her parents are gone? I think that's one of the mysteries that we should (Or maybe not) to find out.

SMG Instruction Manual at first won't give us any details about Rosalina, nice job...........
This keeper of the Comet Observatory floats through the cosmos with curious star creatures called Lumas. Her past is shrouded in mystery
The guide is more interesting, again, instead of saying her past is mystery, the guide just say "We know not much about her" so I guess Rosalina could have a more deeper and probably more darker past:
Not much is known about Rosalina, the lonely princess who wanders the cosmos in the Comet Observatory, a giant starship that travels the celestial expanse. She is a great friend of the Luma, taking them in and caring for them as if they were her children. But there is a sadness behind her eyes. What has she lost out among the stars?
Trading Card is just a bit bold:
Rosalina's home is the Comet Observatory, a very important place that serves as the launching pad for all of Mario's adventures throughout the universe. She has an expansive knowledge of the universe and is known as a kind and motherly figure, especially to the Lumas-those cute little stars that she adopted who help Mario throughout his journey to save the princess.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Most women at my college who are in the 18-23 range aren't as "well developed" as you think somebody that old should be...

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
And now about her voice actor, I recently had a flashback about her voice actoresses issue,go back and checked @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle email that send to Rosalina's voice actoresses.
Even though Rosalina's voice in both versions was indeed Kerri Kane. The email sent by @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle , still kind of gives a some thoughts.
At first it Kerri did say her voice will be in Smash Bros.
So guys , bringing this up again ; Today i emailed Kerri Kane♥ , to say hi and to ask her if She was voicing Rosalina in Smash.
Here's her response.

I know i already proved it , But Kerri Herself supported me. She is Rosalina in the gameplays , SO FAR.
But it might , change .

Any thoughts?

Btw , Kerri is just a sweetheart , since she responded nicely and fast.
But Laura just kind of messed us up for a while.
BREAKING NEWS!:colorful:
LAURA FAYE IS GONNA BE ROSALINA!!!

So i emailed Laura♥ Too , and here's her response!

I must say i wanted Kerri to return , But Laura is just really LOVELY! , She has a pretty voice , and while i think she needs to improve her performance , Im glad she is gonna stay to make Rosalina sound consistent , with her brand new voice at least.
Then Laura once again send email,
Hello! I'm back! (sort of For like 10 minutes) XD

Well Guys i'll make this quick. Remember when i emailed Rosalina's voice actresses?

GUESS What. Laura Faye Smith actually took the time (love her) to email me back Once again and say this. Note: i did not check my email in a LONG time , she send this a couple of weeks ago.

As you can see She made a mistake and it was Nintedos issue , she DID NOT LIE WHEN SHE SAID SHE WAS GONNA BE HER VOICE!.
She is so sweet , i can accept her as Rosalina. I actually think it's cool how all her voice actresses seem to be so lovely people :)

Bye guys , i've been busy with College so you get it , i have literally no time anymore :p Hope you are well and enjoy Rosalina , Smash and all of that :D
Is it Laura's voice was going to be in Smash Bros? But Nintendo change it to Kerri? And did her voice appeared in E3 demos? If not,why did Laura say she they were going to have her voice in Smash bros? Still a mystery.

Most women at my college who are in the 18-23 range aren't as "well developed" as you think somebody that old should be...
Merry Christmas to you too!

Well, it depends on a persons constitution, if I did get your meaning.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I think I know what you are referring to, and that's not what I was referring to before.

It's not even just their bodies, but their personalities are far from what I would call adult-like.

I'm not saying Peach and Daisy AREN'T adults (probably 18, 20 at most), but they don't have the appearance or personality of one. Which is intentional, since in animation, a character's appearance is generally inspired by their personality (e.g. Sonic's spikes represent the edgy side of his personality, his colour scheme is that of the American flag because his personality is based off of the American president at the time of his creation, Bill Clinton, etc). Likewise, Rosalina appears to have a more developed, statue-esque and elegant body because she is much older and wiser than Peach and Daisy, and has a simple nightgown as opposed to a regal dress because she is not royalty and is also modest.

-----

Also yeah, Merry Chrastmas.

I MIGHT actually be getting a Rosalina related gift from a friend, if my guess is correct...

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think I know what you are referring to, and that's not what I was referring to before.

It's not even just their bodies, but their personalities are far from what I would call adult-like.

I'm not saying Peach and Daisy AREN'T adults (probably 18, 20 at most), but they don't have the appearance or personality of one. Which is intentional, since in animation, a character's appearance is generally inspired by their personality (e.g. Sonic's spikes represent the edgy side of his personality, his colour scheme is that of the American flag because his personality is based off of the American president at the time of his creation, Bill Clinton, etc). Likewise, Rosalina appears to have a more developed, statue-esque and elegant body because she is much older and wiser than Peach and Daisy, and has a simple nightgown as opposed to a regal dress because she is not royalty and is also modest.

-----

Also yeah, Merry Chrastmas.

I MIGHT actually be getting a Rosalina related gift from a friend, if my guess is correct...
Oh really?
Tell us what is it once you get the present! We've like to know!

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Gonna say this again , Laura F. Smith thought they were going to reuse her voice clip (in the same fashion as Kerri Kane) for Rosalina in Smash Bros , and She said that imdb credited her on it's page as Rosalina so that's why she said she was going to be her voice. She never said she recorded NEW CLIPS FOR SMASH which means she just thought they were gonna reuse some she did in the past (maybe even recordings that were left out of SM3D World and MK8 since they did with Kerri Kane). In the End after thouseands of demos and Gema's live stream it was clear that it was Kerri Kane as is the same voice as in MK7 and MGolf not to mention she is credited along with all the other voice actors/actresses in the game. As far as we all know , Laura F. voice did not appear at all in any demos or streams featuring Rosalina , in fact , it was always Kerri and i even Said so since i created my account and joined this forum but nobody believed me even though it was obvious to tell them apart , at least for me. It was not Her or Kerri's fault , they were not properly informed by Nintendo and in the end they gave it to Kerri since the very beggining and did not change it.

On a side note , the fact that Kerri's 2011 voice clips fit Rosalina perfectly in a fighting game (when she recorded them for a Kart game) says so much , even lets me believe that Rosalina was indeed planned to appear more often since 2011 , so they even asked Kerri to record battle cries and K.O. Screams , in addition to her Mario Kart Laughs and ''whohoo'' clips...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Gonna say this again , Laura F. Smith thought they were going to reuse her voice clip (in the same fashion as Kerri Kane) for Rosalina in Smash Bros , and She said that imdb credited her on it's page as Rosalina so that's why she said she was going to be her voice. She never said she recorded NEW CLIPS FOR SMASH which means she just taught they were gonna reuse some she did in the past (maybe even recordings that were left out of SM3D World and MK8 since they did with Kerri Kane). In the End after thouseands of demos and Gema's live stream it was clear that it was Kerri Kane as is the same voice as in MK7 and MGolf not to mention she is credited along with all the other voice actors/actresses in the game. As far as we all know , Laura F. voice did not appear at all in any demos or streams featuring Rosalina , in fact , it was always Kerri and i even Said so since i created my account and joined this forum but nobody believed me even though it was obvious to tell them apart , at least for me. It was not Her or Kerri's fault , they were not properly informed by Nintendo and in the end they gave it to Kerri since the very beggining and did not change it.

On a side note , the fact that Kerri's 2011 voice clips fit Rosalina perfectly in a fighting game (when she recorded them for a Kart game) says so much , even lets me believe that Rosalina was indeed planned to appear more often since 2011 , so they even asked Kerri to record battle cries and K.O. Screams , in addition to her Mario Kart Laughs and ''whohoo'' clips...
The entire Smash 4 roster (excluding clones, Greninja and Robin) was decided by Sakurai a few years ago. So it's not surprising at all that they may have pre-emptively got Kerri to record for Smash, since Rosalina has been planned for the game for a very long time. Maybe they planned to keep her for MK8 and 3D World, but couldn't for some reason.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
The entire Smash 4 roster (excluding clones, Greninja and Robin) was decided by Sakurai a few years ago. So it's not surprising at all that they may have pre-emptively got Kerri to record for Smash, since Rosalina has been planned for the game for a very long time. Maybe they planned to keep her for MK8 and 3D World, but couldn't for some reason.
Exactly. And that's the point , it's a good argument against the people who said Rosalina was included in spite of nothing , ignoring her popularity and current importance to the series. Sakurai saw and believe in her potential , thus she was already planned since long ago. It's just that i cannot believe that people still believe she is ''not deserving'' and that the spot should be filled with Toad (for example) instead , that's just ... unbelieveable

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Gonna say this again , Laura F. Smith thought they were going to reuse her voice clip (in the same fashion as Kerri Kane) for Rosalina in Smash Bros , and She said that imdb credited her on it's page as Rosalina so that's why she said she was going to be her voice. She never said she recorded NEW CLIPS FOR SMASH which means she just thought they were gonna reuse some she did in the past (maybe even recordings that were left out of SM3D World and MK8 since they did with Kerri Kane). In the End after thouseands of demos and Gema's live stream it was clear that it was Kerri Kane as is the same voice as in MK7 and MGolf not to mention she is credited along with all the other voice actors/actresses in the game. As far as we all know , Laura F. voice did not appear at all in any demos or streams featuring Rosalina , in fact , it was always Kerri and i even Said so since i created my account and joined this forum but nobody believed me even though it was obvious to tell them apart , at least for me. It was not Her or Kerri's fault , they were not properly informed by Nintendo and in the end they gave it to Kerri since the very beggining and did not change it.

Didn't expect that you replied so fast!
So....................in the end it was just a mistake? And Nintendo might already planned Rosalina in Smash since 2011? Possible, but at that time everyone was keep asking for Bowser Jr. or Waluigi in Smash, if this is true then Nintendo was quite wise at that time.
Exactly. And that's the point , it's a good argument against the people who said Rosalina was included in spite of nothing , ignoring her popularity and current importance to the series. Sakurai saw and believe in her potential , thus she was already planned since long ago. It's just that i cannot believe that people still believe she is ''not deserving'' and that the spot should be filled with Toad (for example) instead , that's just ... unbelieveable
That's why we love Sakurai, he might already knew about Nintendo keep adding her in many Mario games. Like I just hate that everyone think that she's in Smash as a surprise. That's why I don't really like Bowser Jr. ,and Dr.Mario(As a totally individual character) in Smash, I was really hope that she is the only newcomer in this new game. And just who knows which Mario game will she appeared in?

Thank you so much for solving my question @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle Merry Christmas!! And again, what was your reaction and situation when Rosalina was confirmed last year?

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Didn't expect that you replied so fast!
So....................in the end it was just a mistake? And Nintendo might already planned Rosalina in Smash since 2011? Possible, but at that time everyone was keep asking for Bowser Jr. or Waluigi in Smash, if this is true then Nintendo was quite wise at that time.

That's why we love Sakurai, he might already knew about Nintendo keep adding her in many Mario games. Like I just hate that everyone think that she's in Smash as a surprise. That's why I don't really like Bowser Jr. ,and Dr.Mario(As a totally individual character) in Smash, I was really hope that she is the only newcomer in this new game. And just who knows which Mario game will she appeared in?

Thank you so much for solving my question @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle Merry Christmas!! And again, what was your reaction and situation when Rosalina was confirmed last year?
Oh , you are welcome and Merry Christmas for you and everybody else too :) . Also , i was indeed surprised ( BACK THEN in 2013) but after i remembered how deep she is as a character and saw her potential in her moves and as a fighter i was completely Happy about her inclusion , not to mention she has always been a favorite of mine along with Peach and many others so i just thought that the Mario series just got a really good and solid character to be a newcomer. Lastly , well... she has all the odds in her side to be honest , she just proved to be really popular with the fans and even all 3 Voice Actresses of Rosalina believe this , so i must say she is on her way to appear even more often in our favorite regular titles aside from Mario Kart , such as Mario Party or even other sport related game , that's what i think.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Oh , you are welcome and Merry Christmas for you and everybody else too :) . Also , i was indeed surprised ( BACK THEN in 2013) but after i remembered how deep she is as a character and saw her potential in her moves and as a fighter i was completely Happy about her inclusion , not to mention she has always been a favorite of mine along with Peach and many others so i just thought that the Mario series just got a really good and solid character to be a newcomer. Lastly , well... she has all the odds in her side to be honest , she just proved to be really popular with the fans and even all 3 Voice Actresses of Rosalina believe this , so i must say she is on her way to appear even more often in our favorite regular titles aside from Mario Kart , such as Mario Party or even other sport related game , that's what i think.
It it seems that it is possible these days.
Now I am hoping to buy Wii U next year.

Merry belated Christmas Rosalina boards!

In other news, I'm speedrunning my first playthrough of 3D World

It hurts but I do it for Rosalina

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
RushHourSmash

Ugh, yeah fighting Sonic is just so gruelingly slow and calculated.
Oh, I had subscibed it's channel already. I'll check that out soon.
And if next time before you went on a Sm4sh tournament and going to use Rosalina, can you leave message here, and tell us which channel would it might be? Cuz I didnt see it live. (And I really want too!)
I'll take this as a reference for the Rosalina vs Sonic MU in the matchup thread.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Is your "boring"means that Sonic is easy to defeat? Or you just think he is annoying to fight with?
The latter. When you're up against a good Sonic, the match just tends drag on way longer than it needs to. And trying to punish Side and Down B can be annoying sometimes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't have any problems against Sonic for the most part, but my username might explain why.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The latter. When you're up against a good Sonic, the match just tends drag on way longer than it needs to. And trying to punish Side and Down B can be annoying sometimes.
I don't have any problems against Sonic for the most part, but my username might explain why.
Sonic's down b can always start a good combo. His up Smash is just awesome. His attacks are all more powerful than Brawl, the downside is that his attacks are slower than Brawl too.
Let's discuss this more in the Rosalina MU Thread when it is up to Sonic.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Checked the matches and noticed there was a very low usage of backair against sonic, rarbackair for me feels like one of rosas biggest advantages against a sonic(whos hasvery slow movement in the air unless using b) so you might wanna try using that more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom