• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Adding more PSI users would be dumb when the series really has a lot more variety than that. Only half of all the playable characters in the series actually used PSI (Ninten, Ana, Ness, Paula, Poo, Lucas and Kumatora vs. Loid, Teddy, Jeff, Flint, Duster, Boney and Salsa) and I've said before how I don't like the over-representation of this category. One of the battle-item users like Jeff or Duster would be a better addition because they represent a more unique aspect of the series.
The series does have a variety, but PSI is important in the games.
Eliminate Flint and Salsa for barley being used in the game. Loid and Teddy probably wont be picked over Ninten. (Jeff is a more popular option over Loid anyways) and I can't imagine them picking Boney over the human characters.

That leaves Jeff and Duster. Since both Ness and Lucas took stuff from teammates (psi attacks, rope snake) I can imagine Ninten/Kumatora having PSI attacks for specials and could use items for standard A attacks.

I don't think Jeff and Duster have a chance. Porky, Claus, Ninten, and Kumatora I think are the only characters from the series with a shot.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think Giygas (physical form) makes the most sense.

He's a mother 1 rep.
He's a villain.

We already have mother 2 & 3 reps.
We already have two heroes from mother.

It would give Sakurai a unique opportunity to create a 3D model for Giygas.
Plus he could easily be a mewtwo clone/ semi clone because psi is psychic energy.

Hong

The Strongest
I have not been posting here as much as I would like to be. As you would imagine, the latest additions to the roster has kept me busy.

Regardless of who comes back, be it Ness or Lucas, or they are replaced with Ninten, I hope they see serious revision.

Keep the general theme:
Psychic character
Incredible double jump
Strong throws
Fires "sparks" on a number of attacks to afford range
Short reach due to stubby body, and limitations of sparks

The overall movesets are fine, just need some tweaks. To start, if they insist on PK Thunder, I would move it to neutral B, and give them a real recovery. Make them way faster in the air and on the ground. Give PSI Magnet a strong use outside of just absorbing stuff. What Lucas had with the hitbox was a good start.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here's my current thought. Keep Ness, replace Lucas with Masked Man but he'd still have Lucas as an alt anyway (its been confirmed that name's don't matter to be alts). Unfortunately I don't know what Masked Man does, but I'm sure he can still use PSI Abilities.

Or Ness and Lucas can be alts of each other and a different character is added, I'm not sure.

I have not been posting here as much as I would like to be. As you would imagine, the latest additions to the roster has kept me busy.

Regardless of who comes back, be it Ness or Lucas, or they are replaced with Ninten, I hope they see serious revision.

Keep the general theme:
Psychic character
Incredible double jump
Strong throws
Fires "sparks" on a number of attacks to afford range
Short reach due to stubby body, and limitations of sparks

The overall movesets are fine, just need some tweaks. To start, if they insist on PK Thunder, I would move it to neutral B, and give them a real recovery. Make them way faster in the air and on the ground. Give PSI Magnet a strong use outside of just absorbing stuff. What Lucas had with the hitbox was a good start.
Love the idea of moving PK Thunder to Neutral B, damn I hate using that as a recovery. Prevents me from actually wanting to use either Ness or Lucas.

Hong

The Strongest
Here's my current thought. Keep Ness, replace Lucas with Masked Man but he'd still have Lucas as an alt anyway (its been confirmed that name's don't matter to be alts). Unfortunately I don't know what Masked Man does, but I'm sure he can still use PSI Abilities.
He can use the strongest level of PK Love, which is otherwise Lucas's exclusive special ability. So in that sense, he can use all PSI for the sake of game design.
Or Ness and Lucas can be alts of each other and a different character is added, I'm not sure.
IMO add Ninten; let you swap with Ness and Lucas. Both of these are respected audibly in the game. Within the Lucas palette, he can have a Claus palette like he did in Brawl. They all have the same body-type more or less, and since they are not using their own moves to begin with, no point in caring about it now.
Love the idea of moving PK Thunder to Neutral B, damn I hate using that as a recovery. Prevents me from actually wanting to use either Ness or Lucas.
It's really a silly decision.

Lots of characters have teleports in Smash Bros, but the way the Mother series handles it is unique, and I'd love to see it. A world-wrapping teleport that needs about half a second running space (run on air!) to work, in exchange for a powerful sonic boom when they re-emerge.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is unbelievable how we still don't have Ness and Lucas and new Mother stages announced. Mother still doesn't have Assist Trophies announced either. Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge just aren't going to cut it for me.

Ness and Lucas are some of my favorite fighters. I hope they come back... and I don't want Lucas to be an alternate costume for Ness.

Hong

The Strongest
It is unbelievable how we still don't have Ness and Lucas and new Mother stages announced. Mother still doesn't have Assist Trophies announced either. Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge just aren't going to cut it for me.

Ness and Lucas are some of my favorite fighters. I hope they come back... and I don't want Lucas to be an alternate costume for Ness.
To be fair, they will both require serious revision. I rather they make Ness into a good, well-designed character first and foremost. If they have good ideas for Lucas that can't be substituted with custom special moves, then they are welcome to go for it. I'd love to see what Sakurai has in mind.

Personally I think this is all tying in with Nintendo's celebration of the series. Since Mother is turning 25 later this month and then EarthBound turns 20 in August, they are releasing a new line of Mother 2 figurines to celebrate. I expect Ness to be revealed in a Nintendo Direct slated for August.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ness is already a good, well-designed character. They just need to give Lucas different special moves... unless Sakurai goes the Toon Link route and leave Lucas as-is.

Speculator

Smash Ace
As far as similar or semi-clone characters go, Ness and Lucas are pretty damn different. With a few new specials for Lucas and a new Final Smash for Ness, they'd have almost nothing in common. I don't think either of them need a revamp.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Add super armor to PK Thunder Start-up and lower grab release frames, and that should be good enough imo. Although I'd like their specials to be buffed a little in terms of speed...

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Just something I noticed. Could Mother 4 be actually getting representation in Smash Wii U and 3DS? Could that be the reason why a Mother character has yet to be announced playable? The Starmen.net community had to get approval from Itoi to continue the series.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just something I noticed. Could Mother 4 be actually getting representation in Smash Wii U and 3DS? Could that be the reason why a Mother character has yet to be announced playable? The Starmen.net community had to get approval from Itoi to continue the series.
Doubt it. Not official, incredibly unlikely.

I still think we will get a bad fate for the Mother series, because I still think Lucas is cut with the Gematsu leak in mind.
Gematsu is dead, and with Lucina, there's literally no reason to cut anyone. So I doubt Lucas is gone. The only reason Lucas WOULD be cut is if they replaced him by the Masked Man who could be a more original character (highly unlikely), perhaps, and even then, alternate skins as different characters is a confirmed possibility, so Lucas would definitely be back as an alt of someone anyway.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yes, but it does have legitimacy to it, but I don't want to go on a war about it.
Honestly though, are you certain there are absolutely no reasons to cut anyone, despite the signs of certain characters being obviously cut and the reasons to cut them such as time constraints.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, but it does have legitimacy to it, but I don't want to go on a war about it.
Honestly though, are you certain there are absolutely no reasons to cut anyone, despite the signs of certain characters being obviously cut and the reasons to cut them such as time constraints.
If Lucina was promoted to full character, I doubt they had any time constraints whatsoever. They probably cut Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake, but that's about it.

What reasons are there to cut anyone else? All they are doing is porting them directly from the prior game with minimal changes. Only a few characters are being brought back with any changes at all, and that's for balancing purposes.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Lucina was promoted to full character, I doubt they had any time constraints whatsoever. They probably cut Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake, but that's about it.

What reasons are there to cut anyone else? All they are doing is porting them directly from the prior game with minimal changes. Only a few characters are being brought back with any changes at all, and that's for balancing purposes.
Lucina was literally a copy and paste Marth with a different playstyle (Her power focusing on the whole sword), it suggests to me that Sakurai had only the very little time to make one more last-minute clone with barely any move changes.
That suggest to me honestly that there are time constraints and there will be a few semi-clones left out from Brawl.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lucina was literally a copy and paste Marth with a different playstyle (Her power focusing on the whole sword), it suggests to me that Sakurai had only the very little time to make one more last-minute clone with barely any move changes.
That suggest to me honestly that there are time constraints and there will be a few semi-clones left out from Brawl.
No, I actually see Lucina as an extra. Sakurai saw something she could do slightly different, so he did it. That's it. She's not "roster padding" or anything. There is nothing to suggest that anyone was cut from development and Lucina added as a replacement, besides, Lucina wouldn't detract from that at all. It probably took about a day to make those changes. At worst, Lucina was added as an aside to other plans but didn't detract from anything at all, at best, she was added after every other character was finished.

Lucina doesn't detract from other characters at all. I don't think we're getting more than three cuts (and even then, Snake might've been replaced with another character).

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Thought up a reveal trailer:
Music playing:
Pan over an empty house. It is nighttime. fade into a bedroom, with a sleeping child.
Suddenly, knockings at the door to the tune of "Shave and a Haircut". The boy wakes up, sleepy and confused. Cue suiting up montage, finishing with the boy raising his bat.

NESS BATTERS UP!

Ness travels down the stairs, bat in hand, "Shave and a Haircut" still knocking away. Ness raises his bat, and opens the door. Lucas runs in, stumbling and screaming, almost stumbling over his shoes, into the house, evidentally being chased by something.

LUCAS FALLS IN!

Ness comforts Lucas briefly, reassuring him and wordlessly promising to help him with whatever was trying to get him. Lucas regains his courage, and prepares his PSI. Ness and Lucas step outside. Loud, clanking mechanical stomps are heard, also to the tune of "Shave and a Haircut". A shadowy, many-legged figure appears out of the darkness, the source of Lucas's fear and the annoying tune.
Cut to Ness, Lucas right behind him. A look of determination on his face gives way to shock as snorting, giggling laughter is heard. Cut back to the figure, now illuminated by the moonlight.
It's Porky.

PORKY STRIKES BACK!

Gameplay footage featuring Porky's moveset in his mech, his strengths and weaknesses. Right before the guitar riff, Porky uses his Final Smash: Shutting off the Devil's Machine, summoning Giygas to become the battlefield. As the trailer closes on the SSB4 Wii U/3DS title, Porky's snorting, maniacal laughter grows over the footage.

EDIT: Wrong musics.

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I would absolutely love to see more Mother representation! We may not need anymore than we already have, but that's beside the point.

I've been thinking about some sort of viable way for another Mother character to make it in, and what I've come up with is Starman! Essentially it would be a semi-clone of Zelda. And with all this talk of more clones likely to make appearances, Starman would be a great addition, especially for DLC! I was thinking for Starman's specials, it would use moves that it used throughout it's appearances like Shield (perhaps as a Naryu's Love replacement) or firing beams/PK Fire. For the special move animations (and in general), they could easily implement 2D animations for the special effects directly from Earthbound! For these moves they could also use the sound effects used in Earthbound too! I would imagine Starman would be a spacey character having long limbs (that I assume could stretch out) and projectiles. It would use basically all of Zelda's normal moves with the added lankiness and PK ability.

Another cool thing about having Starman as a playable character would mean representation for Mother 1 (and more for Earthbound)! And It could easily have really interesting palette swaps with the many different types of Starmen, like Starman Deluxe or Ghost of Starman!

Primid

Smash Apprentice
If we get a new Mother character, I hope it's Porky.

Also what if did something with Ness where Ninten and Lucas we're completely different skins? They'd share a slot and have the same moves (but with character move customization, you could choose which PK attacks they use). That way, you could choose form the three Mother protagonists. I think that'll be pretty neat. Just thinking out loud here...

Hong

The Strongest
Also what if did something with Ness where Ninten and Lucas we're completely different skins? They'd share a slot and have the same moves (but with character move customization, you could choose which PK attacks they use). That way, you could choose form the three Mother protagonists. I think that'll be pretty neat. Just thinking out loud here...
This is what I'm hoping for, as well.

At this point, they don't use their own abilities, so may as well go the full mile.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Which would be the best Smash Run enemy from Mother? Im inclined between Starmen teleporting around and zapping you or Pigmasks running around while making pig sounds.
Also, Natural Killer Cyborg must be a Smash Run boss. Or even a stage boss. Would be sick!.

And for something a bit closer to the topic. I think that if we get a 3rd Mother rep, it should be at least someone that doesn't use PSI. Either Jeff, Flint, Duster, Porky, Masked Man to an extent... Teddy o Louie?.

Hong

The Strongest
Flint would be <3.

Also, would be pretty funny if we had less-than-likely enemies for Smash Run, like crazy taxis and otherwise inanimate objects. :D

Steelia

Smash Champion
So, what do people think of the idea of Giygas' Mother 1 design AKA Gigue for Smash?
Giygas/Giegue/Gyiyg would be totally amazing, which is why it won't happen :c I'd go for even just a trophy, we have no official artwork, models, or even clay sculpts of that sucker.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Yeah I'm really hoping for Porky, he seems like the series villain and honestly, that little brat is despicable and I'm loving how much Mr. Itoi made me hate him so much while playing through Earthbound :)

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Even if we don't get any new reps, I'm hoping we see some new Mother assist trophies (imagine the Masked Man flying around, striking the stage with PK Thunder or Loid driving the roving tank across the stage!)

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The Jeff Andonuts one was cool. Maybe we get a Giygas one where he unleashes a series of attacks no one can grasp the true form of from the background. It seems to be a bit of a trend to make main bosses ATs with Mother Brain and Andross among the list.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Giygas/Giegue/Gyiyg would be totally amazing, which is why it won't happen :c I'd go for even just a trophy, we have no official artwork, models, or even clay sculpts of that sucker.
This could present Sakurai with a unique opportunity.

To help build with some of the original designers to build a model for smash.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
ANY type of Mother content right now would be amazing....im still salty that we havnt gotten a SINGLE pic of the day dedicated to even mr. saturn's return...lets hope we get somthing this month eh guys?

Hong

The Strongest
ANY type of Mother content right now would be amazing....im still salty that we havnt gotten a SINGLE pic of the day dedicated to even mr. saturn's return...lets hope we get somthing this month eh guys?
I'm genuinely convinced they are "saving it up". Like we'll get a flood of Mother stuff in one go. I think Ness/Lucas/Ninten/Whatever will be shown in one go during a direct.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I'm genuinely convinced they are "saving it up". Like we'll get a flood of Mother stuff in one go. I think Ness/Lucas/Ninten/Whatever will be shown in one go during a direct.
my god would i love that....i hope you are right!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
So I finished Earthbound a couple night ago and am currently playing through Mother 3.

What a phenomenal series. It's definitely catapulted from beloved franchise to "EVERYONE NEEDS TO PLAY THESE GAMES" and the hype for Mother content is now seriously real.

I'm still of the opinion that, hands-down, Porky would be the best Mother newcomers we could get and would bring completion to the roster in terms of characters from the Mother series. That said, now I can feel the crushing reality of some really awesome characters (namely Kumatora) having an extremely insignificant chance at all.

Here's hoping we get a lot of Mother stuff soon ...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Hello guys I'm here to tell you about good monkey Salsa

Moveset is already made for him
Up B: Monkey Flip
Side B: Dance (different depending on your direction ~UNIQUE~)
Down B: Laugh
Neutral B: Get Shocked
Final Smash: Fassad does a bum rush (or eats a banana)
normals are clones of diddy's.

In reality though I'd just rather they change Lucas. Or make Flint a newcomer cuz he's cool.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Flint's final smash

Bronson comes in and tells him about Hinawa dying
You are a very sick person how could you
flint then proceeds to beat up players with a stick and get sent to jail

Speculator

Smash Ace
This is what I'm hoping for, as well.

At this point, they don't use their own abilities, so may as well go the full mile.
That's a dumb thing to want. They don't use abilities they use in Mother so we might as well make them exactly the same? Not only would that take away things like PK Love and Rope Snake away from Lucas, it would genericize both characters even more. I don't know anyone who thinks Ness and Lucas aren't similar enough.

Customizable special moves really have nothing to do with Ness and Lucas, because their special moves are the only thing similar about them in the first place. The point of the Mother boys is that they serve as general reps of Earthbound and Mother 3, not specifically reps of their characters. This is why they use Paula and Kumatora's PSI abilities. A lot of other characters do this, too - the Ice Climbers aren't ice-summoning frost mages in Ice Climber, but everything they do in Smash is inspired in some part by that game. Since Earthbound and Mother 3 share some elements, it's not surprising that their reps also do. I'm not saying I don't want Lucas to get a couple new specials or Ness to get Rockin as his Final Smash, but I understand why it is how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom