• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Monthly] ADVENT IX presented by Next Level Lan

Zoro

Smash Champion
Anyone keeping up with baseball? How about those Rays?
/had to post it somewhere on the boards

I doubt I'll come to this (unfortunately,) unless some things change in the next week. Hopefully they do change.
Don't like baseball, but I might have to switch over soon if basketball doesn't start this year :(

Hope you can make it to one of these

Oh Yeah, Colin I hope you are going to this one. I'll need your pc again

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Just wanted to say I really appreciate everyone who made it down to South Florida Zero Ping this past weekend. The turnout was going to be ok, but instead ended up being nice thanks to CFL.

Also sad to say I can't make any more tournaments for awhile. I have to take care of a bunch of things here in SFL and don't have any time for melee at the moment.

Good luck to everyone, I'll be back eventually. Also, keep the scene alive and well, I'll be watching.

:drmario: :drmario: :drmario:

Zoro

Smash Champion
I been talking to people and it looks like it will be a good turnout again.

Just bring setups
at monday night melee this week we only had two working setups for most of the night because no one brought anything (7 tvs 2 cubes). Everyone had the same excuse "I thought other people would bring enough". Nope everyone bring something and leave it in the car, if we need it we'll use it.

Last ADVENT was tight, there were 20 tvs and always an open one. We had more tvs than players willing to play on them. If you wanna play some games do your part and at least bring your cubes and melees.

BTW if anyone has any problems with how the tournament was ran last time, now is the time to let me know.

skrach8

Smash Lord
Skrach the Black and the King of QueensDVS will be teaming for this, GET THE **** OUT THE WAY. TEAM BLACK GLASSES!!! WHAT NOW.... WHAT NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!

Zoro

Smash Champion
Skrach the Black and the King of QueensDVS will be teaming for this, GET THE **** OUT THE WAY. TEAM BLACK GLASSES!!! WHAT NOW.... WHAT NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!
WHAAAAT!? QDVS actually entering!?

yo...i need to find a nasty teammate to compete!

Scidadle

Smash Champion
INB4 Kuya wins the whole tournament because he isn't using low tiers.

Zoro is best TO. SO MUCH SETUPS ITS AMAZING.

AtmaIllumina

Smash Apprentice
Dang. Looks like I won't be able to make it after all. Have to pay car insurance today so I won't have an entrance fee. I was hype about this too. Maybe next time?

Zoro

Smash Champion
The date for Advent III is set: November 12, 2011

Hope SFL and NFL can make it this time. I really want to see how they would do in the swiss system. It is definitely easier to tell who is better than who when you compare 5-10 matches instead of 2-5

Getting closer to finalizing the Power Rankings in December. Going to start a panel up around that time. I think we should do a top 15 ranking because of how big the state is. Norcal and Socal have their own rankings with like 18 on each lol. I think 15 would be ok for a FL PR at this time but a top 10 would be pretty difficult.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Barry, if your serious about coming with you and chris, I'll try my best to come if there are any rides going from gville. Will be like old times again :)

KeeLime

Smash Rookie
Should be here w/ Peanut. Hiroshi be ready son, I will not lose to you again.

Pi

Smash Hero
i'm so hype for this
and damn hbox...
i was ready to fight you seriously this time too =|
unfortunate that you can't go, try to make the next one, i do want to fight you before apex

people who, if i don't fight in bracket (not swiss, bracket), i want to money match:
dark sonic, apollo, uuaa, skrach, hozart, zoro, toobz, gahtzu, qdvs, kuya, rock crock, hariettheguy, blea, trikrome, zidane
and probably some others i'm forgetting
everyone should bring money to this so i can take it

Zoro

Smash Champion
i'm so hype for this
and damn hbox...
i was ready to fight you seriously this time too =|
unfortunate that you can't go, try to make the next one, i do want to fight you before apex

people who, if i don't fight in bracket (not swiss, bracket), i want to money match:
dark sonic, apollo, uuaa, skrach, hozart, zoro, toobz, gahtzu, qdvs, kuya, rock crock, hariettheguy, blea, trikrome, zidane
and probably some others i'm forgetting
everyone should bring money to this so i can take it
I'd love for blea, trikrome and zidane to show up but I doubt they will.

I noticed I'm pretty bad at money matches. I don't mind losing a dollar so I still get into autopilot and play it as a friendly. Tournament matches are the only thing that get me into it.

Tell your friends to show up for this.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Problem: I don't have any seeding points lol I'm not even on the intro list?? Alrighty then

but can't wait for the tourney, hope that gets fixed :p

Zoro

Smash Champion
Problem: I don't have any seeding points lol I'm not even on the intro list?? Alrighty then

but can't wait for the tourney, hope that gets fixed :p
Thanks for bringing that to my attention too lazy to add it to the seeding image but I added it to my excel file. You still got a discount for the next one. You got 8 points btw

Zoro

Smash Champion
I posted this in the Flying Spaghetti Monster Results thread:

I'm going to research and find out if we can implement ELO ratings to rank people more objectively. We would still need some interpretation by panelists of course. There is tons of bias depending on where you are from. Most of the guys from CFL have a CFL heavy PR with Uuaa and Harriet the guy on it while south floridians have people like Zidane, Uber and Spider on it. It'll be interesting to see who makes the final cut. The hardest part is these people are never at the same tournaments as they don't travel much. The only way to measure their relative skill in that scenario is to compare who beats who, which is never really accurate. If people want to prove they deserve certain spots I think those that are being considered should travel to at least one out of region tourney.

I've talked to Apollo about starting up a Panel for the PRs with the intention of releasing one in December after the following Advent and hopefully following FSM3/DC3. The panel would look like:
Colbol
Apollo
Rockcrock
Spider Sense
Linguini
Chops (if he continues to be active)

(In a following post)
What I've discovered is from one tournament you can only go up or down so much. You need at least two tournaments to stabilize at the place you probably should be at. That's why we probably won't consider ELO ratings for people that have only been to one tournament in this quarter. The subjectivity of the interpretation of the panelists will be constrained by the objectivity of the elo ratings. It's data there's no bias in it at all, the more data the more accurate it is. Elo will be the foundation of the PR talks.

There's still the two advents coming up and maybe a December sfl tournament. By then I feel we'll have more than enough data. Right now the elo is already looking very solid imo.
It's not too late to improve your elo. Two really good tournament performances can turn a low elo into a pretty high one. Just as an example Chops has 1280 with one tournament and I have 1240 with three. The next event Chops might have somewhere around 1350 which is around where Linguini is. I'll probably stay at 1240 give or take 10.

It's imperative that all players who believe they should be ranked attend one of the next two advents. They are the only confirmed events in the next two months. Players like HTG and Rockcrock have only attended one tournament and are harder to rank. If you want to guarantee your spots show up to this or December's event.

I already have a full list of every smasher in fl who has attended a tournament since September and it's very accurate so far from what I can tell. I'll post it along with the PRs so everyone knows exactly where they stand and how much they need to improve.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
lulz, i am top ten? so I am almost worth 30,000,000 beli?
and as always, I'll bring a full set up with TV.

oh wait...

can't bring a TV...

how the hell am i going to make this? Forgot that i am super broke as I spend it all on fixing my car.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Anybody from SFL coming?
If someone could post the link to this thread on the SFL melee group on facebook I'd appreciate it. I want people to know about it.

Come on time, I won't delay doubles long.
Bring setups like always.

Hungrybox will not be showing for this particular advent so 1st is currently up for grabs lol

Top Bottom