• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
i think so... cuz ud have to patch the games ISO and u cant run ISO's on a non hacked PSP i believe

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
Ok so im going out of town this weekend to go hang with some friends, and while im down there ima be picking up my Tri. So when i get back we should set up a hunt or 2

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
Srry for bump, but i WILL be on Tri tonight with a friend, if any of u feel like joining just say it here and ill put my info down

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I sold my copy of Tri, so right now I'm waiting for 3G for the 3DS.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ It might not be coming out in the US, 3G that is. Also, 3G has no online servers. Bad Move, bro.

PSP seems to be the way to go for MH though. MHFU is stellar and P3rd isn't region locked + has a translation guide.

MH4 will be on 3DS, which kinda disappoints me to be honest, region lock is fail.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
^ It might not be coming out in the US, 3G that is. Also, 3G has no online servers. Bad Move, bro.

PSP seems to be the way to go for MH though. MHFU is stellar and P3rd isn't region locked + has a translation guide.

MH4 will be on 3DS, which kinda disappoints me to be honest, region lock is fail.
LOL i just remembered i was supposed to send you some files?
also i agree + the fact that you have to get that extra analog thingy sucks

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Nah, I don't want a special psp, if you know what I mean. I'm content with having a translation page up; MH isn't real text heavy anyways.

DLO

Smash Journeyman
LOL i just remembered i was supposed to send you some files?
also i agree + the fact that you have to get that extra analog thingy sucks
But you don't? It's optional and even then it's COMFORTABLE.
Also "it doesn't have servers". Who cares? The portable games never had netplay at all in the beginning, and that didn't stopped anyone.
Hell, it's even better if they don't make servers for this and hopefully make some kind of alterate netplay to play with your friends only. That way you don't have to deal with HELP BARROTH URGENT PLZ

PostmortemMessiah

Smash Cadet
I still remain optimistic with hopes of seeing a second Monster Hunter 3rd-generation game in the United States for the DS handhelds.

Considering I would be unable to buy a new handheld for it, and all that.

I just have an unsettling feeling that should Monster Hunter 4 arrive in the states, American DS owners will have lost out on a good amount if interesting-looking hunts that were available in Portable 3rd and *especially* 3G.

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
But you don't? It's optional and even then it's COMFORTABLE.
Also "it doesn't have servers". Who cares? The portable games never had netplay at all in the beginning, and that didn't stopped anyone.
Hell, it's even better if they don't make servers for this and hopefully make some kind of alterate netplay to play with your friends only. That way you don't have to deal with HELP BARROTH URGENT PLZ
Which Game (Tri or Portable 3rd?)
also, which Barroth? (High Rank or Low Rank?)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sorry but, I've played Tri and FU, and Servers made the game much more fun. Using Ad Hoc Party is lame. I don't mind doing it, but Nintendo won't even have that.

MH4 might have servers, though.

AsteriskRocks

Smash Rookie
Ultimate Monster Hunter Tri

Woah, this topic has been dead for a while...

Anyway, I'm AsteriskRocks.

I recently put together an expansion pack for MH Tri called: Ultimate Monster Hunter Tri (or UMH3). I felt that I should share it here and perhaps rekindle the spark for other Brawl/Hunters out there.

Looking for more challenging quests? Prepare to enter the world of Ultimate Monster Hunter Tri, and in order to equip you with the new difficulties there is an array of custom weapons to choose from. This expansion includes 11 new quests, which push the limits of Custom Quest technology. This complete pack contains 40 new quests in total!

Ultimate Monster Hunter Tri: Online Showcase

Ultimate Monster Hunter Tri: Weapons Showcase

Monster Hunter Tri: Custom Quest Showcase

The possibilities with custom questing or (cqing) have currently reached their limits (barely scratched the surface with MH3 mods), but if there are any Brawl modders out there who are interested in a new project, then I suggest contacting me about helping out.

You frequently can find me via: The Tavern (forums).

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm just hoping that since they are making the Wii U version of MH3U have online, that the 3DS version could as well. Plus, it would also be really cool if 3DS users could play with Wii U users online.

Most likely this is not gonna happen, but so long as I get a new MH game to play, I'm fine.

:phone:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
COULD A THREAD BE ANY MORE DEAD THAN THIS?

I just got my WiiU hooked back up. Anyone want to hunt some monsters? I mostly use bow & arrow.

Player-3

Smash Hero
hype for mh4u!! never got very far into g rank in 3 because i moved out from where i would play with friends and i didnt really like playing solo and only had the 3ds version :(

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
People only don't like playing solo cuz they suck.

In the meantime I've solo'd the entire game, almost every quest at least once

I should play more though, finish all the achievements and stuff I guess.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
People only don't like playing solo cuz they suck.

In the meantime I've solo'd the entire game, almost every quest at least once

I should play more though, finish all the achievements and stuff I guess.
Solo player master race reporting in.

Honestly, if you've played FU then G rank is a joke in third gen as nearly all of it is super soloable.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm thinking of getting the 3ds one, but I'm really not a fan of the grind. Plus the demo was boring. Can anyone sell me on it, maybe tell me why the grind is worth it?
Monster Hunter is pretty much a love-it-or-hate-it series. It's grindy, has a really tough learning curve but as a trade off has incredible boss fights and carving up monsters to see what kind of crazy gear you can make out of them is super addictive.

If you have friends who like the games the series is easier to get into. The only MH game I've really played is MH Freedom Unite on PSP and that was a blast when I played it with one of my friends. I still haven't picked up MH3, if only because I haven't had the time to play it and I decided to wait it out and get MH4 instead (although I'll probably break down and buy MH3 on Wuu when I get one). But really, IMO, if you didn't dig the demo then you probably won't like the full game much.

EDIT: If you're legitimately interested in the series, but the learning curve turns you off these are worth a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO7ChEvlE6fd-IXgergMpFIpudooNepeP

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Dark Souls is my favorite game, so a learning curve isn't an issue. I'm just more worried about the grind, you know?
Ah. In that case, it's not as grindy as people make it out to be IMO. Like, the beginning tends to be pretty boring since you're wearing starter gear and you spend the first few hours fighting small fry but once you get your first big hunt the game picks up momentum and gets really fun. I mean, you do tend to fight the same monsters over and over again but the game shakes things up constantly enough to keep it from getting boring IMO.

If it means anything to you, it's less grindy than Diablo is.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Ah man, I remember when Tri was my first MH... I didn't know you could go back to a completed mission and do it over again for more carves/items! It took me until the Barroth to finally figure that out, lol.

The game is as grindy as you want to make it. You can actually beat the game by only doing each quest once. You won't have awesome armor skills or the best weapons, sure, but player skill can more than make up for that.

The grind that you can't afford to avoid is the farm, fishing, and mining for ore. There are mass-quantitiy ways of making these easier, but without the raw materials, you'll spend more money buying items instead of combining cheaper ones. Less money means less equipment budget.

I've never played MH4, but I remember from when it came out that it added in a lot of new things to do. It even added some minigames. They also replaced Cha-cha with the Felynes again, so you can use scraps to make them equipment as a fun side diversion.

MH4 built on the best of MH3, imo. The best part? NEW HUNTING GROUNDS. Seriously, the change in scenery is so welcome. The G-rank version (MH4U) probably adds in at least one new area, too. Ought to be a blast.

...Oh and, this might not matter to anyone unless you use the bow and arrow like I do, but the "screen shake" effect they added when you arrow hits at optimum range was a big deal. I learned to do it by practice and watching the spark in MH3U, but it's always nice to have a confirmation of, "yes, you're doing it right."

Oh and, all the weapons got at least one totally new attack in MH4! That was cool.

The jumping on monster's backs thing is also very helpful. Looks really fun. Plus, it gets you an extra "break," if you do it enough.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I'm thinking of getting the 3ds one, but I'm really not a fan of the grind. Plus the demo was boring. Can anyone sell me on it, maybe tell me why the grind is worth it?
The demo is a really bad representation of the game. I think it gives you a 20 minute time limit for the quests and you are incredibly over geared. Both of these elements mix terribly as a new player will probably fail the quests a couple of times due to running out of time and the overgearing makes it seem like getting hit is not a big deal. MH rewards you by learning from your mistakes and the huge sense of satisfaction when you overcome a wall. I would argue that you don't really have to grind that much since gear isn't too important. In end game, most monsters can 2-3 shot you even when you're in the best armor available and that's why it's incredibly important that you learn a monster's behavior.

And yes, early game is kinda boring/lame because the first few quests are "collect x amount of herbs or kill 10 trash packs", but it's a blast after that.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I love Monster Hunter, but I've only played 3 Ultimate and my parents took away my 3DS a while ago.

I bought the game only because I thought it was decent and it was on sale: I hated the demo with a passion. Everything seemed so boring and slow, but the real game was so fun with it's gathering materials, equipment customization, and whatnot.

I could never play online, mainly because I don't have a WiiU. I wish I could, and I'm intently waiting for 4.

The game was amazing, I'm at like, maybe 75% of the way through. I would say where I am, but I kinda don't want to spoil anything and I don't know how to do any of that spoiler post thing.

What's your favorite weapon? (Sorry if anyone asked this but like this thread has a lot of old posts and there are new games and such so people's opinions may differ) My personal favorite is the Switch Axe, because it has a decent amount of mobility in Axe mode, with a bunch of raw damage in Sword mode. Plus I have a paralyzing Switch Axe so when I go into sword mode that paralyze coating gets on them and wrecks.

My secondaries that I use are the Sword and Shield, as it gives a lot of mobility in what normally is a pretty slow game. I also like the heavy bowgun, because of it's siege mode, giving that "infinite ammo" which I really love, and the hunting horn, because I love to have a horn that buffs my attack and heals, giving me a crap ton of damage and sustain.

Regarding weapons that I cannot play and really hate, I really cannot play the bow. I dunno why, I always loved archery, and I would play the archer class in every game that allowed it, but in this game, I'm so bad with the bow. I also hate how slow the great sword is, although I can play them if I could create a great weapon for them.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I like high DPS weapons, so I play heavy bowgun and Switch Axe. I just like to attack in general, so support weapons like Hammer, Hunting Horn, Light Bowgun and SnS really aren't my thing.

Top Bottom