• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah, you're a good lancer too :D I feel bad for being so careless with Long Sword now, lol. But small monsters make it hard :(

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I MISSED YOU, THREAD!

I'll be on later today
ID: DerpDB
HR 55

And am more than willing to help with Rath since I need inferno sacs

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
He can not do HR yet for Los. Finally got Jhen+ on Shadowbinder. Focus, RS, Rec Speed, and Eva+2. Me likes that set. (since sharp+1 sucks on bind)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ And we can't tonight, unless you can play at your house? >_> Keep killing Ceadeus when I need him alive to farm gems, sigh...

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Finally played again a bit today with some friends. Decided to try SnS and working on a set for it. Looking like Banana Waist and feet, but trying to figure what else to put in it. Any suggestions?

For Status Atk Up set thinking Razor Sharp, Status Attack Up to start. Maybe Speed Sharpening too.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm doing that set. :)..well sorta:

Blast Earring
Bnab Body
Hunter Vambraces
Bnab Waist
Bnab Legs
Eva7 Talisman

End up with Bombardier, Eva+1, Razor Sharp, Status Attack Up, and maybe Speed Sharpening. This is for ParaSns, and ParaLS(When I'm not using Full Jhen+ Focus/Eva+2/Rec+2 on ParaLS)

Gah777

Smash Lord
I mixed Bnahabara and Barioth stuff and got Evade +2, Status Atk Up, and Razor Sharp. It works pretty well for me. For SnS I'd recommend skills like Razor Sharp, Speed Sharpening, Element/Status Atk Up, Evade +1/2 and Evade Dist Up. Having Evade +1/2 is ESSENTIAL for a SnS set since you'll spend a lot of time up in the monsters grill.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yea, para'd a Los+ 5 times yesterday with my set ;). I want to use Alatreon Star, as I hear it's DPS is nice, but I don't know what to wear. Full Vangis would give that much aspired Pink Sharpness, but AuM isn't really what I want with SnS (Eva+1 gemmed in, of course) Iunno...

Gah777

Smash Lord
Sharpness (Handicraft +1) and Attack Up aren't that great on SnS. For DPS SnS you'll want to have Element Atk Up and use whatever element SnS the monster is weakest to since SnS primarily get their DPS from elements. Don't get me wrong, the attack stat for a SnS is still important and those dragon SnS that have like 90 Atk and 600 Ele Atk really suck compared to the Alatreon Star.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Then what would go good on Alatreon Star? Sharp+1 mixset giving eva and EAU? I can't find such a set =(

Gah777

Smash Lord
I use EAU, Eva +2, and Razor Sharp. It's a mix set between Barioth al Lagiacrus. I think I have a really good talisman though (something like Eva+7, 2 slots, so...) but you should be able to get at least EAU Eva +1 and Razor Sharp. You can check the MH Wiki armor generator for some set ideas.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ But Sharp+1 is kinda needed for Ala Star, no? It gets soooo much purple sharpness.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Sharp +1 is amazing on anything, really, but it isn't necessary, especially if you're losing out on other great SnS skills. I'd rather have my combo of EAU, Eva+2, and Razor Sharp than Sharp+1 and EAU. If there was a way to get EAU, Sharp+1, and Eva+2 that would be super amazing, but unfortunately there isn't and I really feel that SnS benefits greatly enough from (at least) Eva+1 that it should be considered a staple on any SnS set.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I know, but I read sharpness effects damage and elemental damage as well as status damage mods. So the purple would help modify the element damage by a certain degree. I agree Sharp+1 on SnS is pretty meh, but Alatreon weapons are hard to deny it being good. Problem is, Iunno how I'mma get Sharp+1 and EAU on one set.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember that Sharpness does affect Element and Status damage. However, I'd like to have the Eva+2 so I can just keep at a monster. I guess it's just more of a playstyle preference. If you're going for straight damage (at the cost of reduced survivability) then yeah, EAU and Sharp+1 would dish out the most damage. You'd probably need a really decent talisman.

I used the armor calc:
http://www.monsterhunter-armory.com/calc.php

And here's what I came up with for EAU and Sharp+1 (the 0's are the slots)

Helios Helm+ 000 @Architect Jewel
Lagiacrus Mail 0 @Handicraft Jewel
Helios Vambraces 0 @Element Jewel
Helios Coil+ 000 @Architect Jewel
Lagiacrus Greaves 00
Talisman: at least Element+3, any number of slots

Skill Points:
10 Element
15 Handicraft
5 Hearing
2 Swimming
-9 Sharpness
-6 Status
-5 Protection

Skills:
Sharpness+1
Element Attack Up

There's a couple of slots left over, so with a good talisman you could probably get Earplugs. Alternatively you could mix Vangis and Lagiacrus if you don't want to risk getting Blunt Edge or want to try for Attack Up S or something.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
i dont use ala star i use divine exodus. with 720 dr and 850 or 860 after EAU

i use overforged lagi armor so i get
razer sharp
EAU
evasion+2
Olympic swimmer
pro transporter(evasion charm has transporter +10)

i get 3 slots with nothing to slot in though besides speed sharpner if i have a 2 slot weapon. i wish i had a 2 slot evasion+7 charm

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Such low Raw atk on the Exodus that once the damage formula is calculated it ends up sucking. (I'm pretty sure on this) Also Alatreon's sharpness is pretty epic as well.

Don't quote me on that, btw.

Gah777

Smash Lord
No, I agree on Exodus sucking. It looks cool and all, but Element isn't everything, even on SnS.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Can any of you chaps recall any particular percentage as to Pinnacle Coin/Hunter King Coin drop rates?

I know it doesn't concern time or deaths since I just got 2 hkc from Land Lords on a not-too-good run. Just wondering if you guys have any info that I don't.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Ryu, the Sharq Lance is AMAZING :awesome:

Derp, ehhh... I have no idea. You can check the MH Wiki, they might have it there.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ IIRC it's low Atk makes it do less damage than the other Water Lance, no?

I'll tell you what I hate, HATE:

Guan Dao
Full Rathian
Go.

And they spam Spirit Combo, right ontop of you.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Well by amazing I meant hilarious.

And yes, noobs in full Rathian (no skills jemmed in or out) with Guan Dao blow. In general I just hate those people, no matter what weapon they have, that can't seem to find another attack spot other than where you're currently standing.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm a Long Sword main, and god I hate 95% of long sword users. I mean on small enemies like Great Baggi it's nigh impossile not to hit someone, but when you're getting slung around on Deviljho, you know they suck.

I'd say, RankS~F I'm :

LS~S
GS~A
SA~A
(My three top weapons)
Lance~B
Hammer~C
SNS~C

Haven't done BG yet. Waiting for Jhen+

As for what weapons I carry:

I carry all the good Longswords, they are my main after all
I carry the best damage SA's (Ala/Ceadeus, and a Hoarfrost when needed)
I carry Anguish P, 'nuff said.

I carry Alatreon/Byakko, lancing on ocassions
I carry Jho's hammer, 'nuff said.
I carry Para/Sleep/Dragon SnS, as I use LS to do damage most of the time (starring it up for fun), and the status' is for pure fun. (Paraing 5~6times on a fight feels so good)

I've actually been expanding on armor sets as well. I carry:

Full Jho for raw damage (with eva+1, used quite commonly)
Ceadeus mix for HGE/Sharp (with eva+1, used quite commonly)
Full Esca for defensive awaken setup (SS/Tenebra)
Lagi/Vangis mix for offensive awaken setup (SS/Tenebra)
Adrenline+2 set (Very rare occasion)
Status SnS set (Sns Swords, and maybe LSPara every now and then)
Full Jhen+ (Rare Para LS fun)
Diablos/Uru Mix(gunner armor)
Full Uuru(Sleep Gunner)
Cap Expert with Great Luck set (:D)

And yeah. I'm such a loserrrrr

Kraivenous

Smash Apprentice
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

So im a hammer user :D

WHAT ARMOR SHOULD I NEED?

hr30 :D
I haven't played in about a month or so, so I don't remember if the rank is right, but I started with Qurupeco (sp?) set. defense up, eva+1, and recovery up are all good for hammer.

Then I transferred to Barioth. High defense, comes with eva+2 (AMAZING for hammer) marathon runner (also good because it slows stamina drain) and cold cancel lo, it has heat surge but you can gem it out :D

Best of luck!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I miss Monster Hunter, mayne they need to make a new one.

Or mebbe we could hook up Ed.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I has no 360? :/

I'm also very patient. 3DS/Cafe will have Monster Hunter(s), I know it.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I hope both 3ds/cafe makes one so I get to have 2 and maybe they will have a import your char feature lol

Im a SNS main now and hammer second :/ SnS is just to fun for me lol SAVES MY *** On THE BLOCKING!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I'd like to open this thread up to discussion of any and all iterations of the Monster Hunter franchise.

While I'm far too lazy to edit the whole OP, I will change the title.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Yay im lvl 43 now LETS GO THOSE High rank mosnters are harrrrrrd!

Making my lagi armor into Lagi+ now

Top Bottom