• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Loses VOD of Anaheim

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Many Smashers have been patiently awaiting the VOD of matches from Anaheim. MLG had uploaded most of the sets on Friday to their YouTube account but matches, especially on Sunday, were the most looked forward too for many players. Solid Jake confirmed today, after nearly a week of players waiting, that the VOD for the matches had been lost due to a corrupted file. Many are now hoping other Smashers had managed to rip from the stream as a result of this issue and information about what matches may be available for viewing is beginning to flow in.

The practice of ripping from streams is typically seen as a very negative and selfish act as it takes away from community streamers such at VGBootcamp and Clash Tournaments. In this case, it may have preserved some of the better matches in Smash history. The situation is reminiscent of Melee FC Diamond in 2007, an MLG sponsored tournament where VODs were reportedly recorded and sent for upload only to go missing. Unlike 2007, MLG Anaheim was livestreamed and there is a chance of some recovery of most of the matches.

Solid Jake further explained the situation:

"No one is as pissed off as me. This is absurd and and frankly unacceptable. Hopefully we can figure it out, half our staff took this week off because everyone was exhausted from Anaheim / the lead-in. It's possible that someone knows something that we don't and there is a backup, but we haven't found it so far."

This situation comes on the heels of a poorly run MLG Anaheim tournament. Many players have applauded MLG for their innovative bracket format that provided awesome match ups all weekend. However, an open bracket that started 6 hours late, along with numerous issues with downtime on the livestream and other delays, had marred the event to the point that MLG had to release a statement. How the organization and its new streaming platform will bounce back from these issues remains to be seen. You can check out the finals VOD below provided by a "Beanman25jr" on YouTube. Note - ripping from livestreams should be considered shameful in general but it appears this method may be the only archives of these matches.

Jbas234

Smash Rookie
Between this, the very poorly run bracket, the bracket corrupting, the ads in the middle of a match, starting late, uncalled for DQs, and some ridiculous rules (referee must be present for set to officially start, people watching at the venue had to leave multiple times, etc.), I think its safe to say the Smash Community will no longer have interest in participating in future MLGs. SolidJake seems like a good guy, but no amount of apology can make this entire situation better, especially considering that this is supposed to be a very professional organization. Hype matches can't cover up the overall failure of a tournament that was MLG Anaheim Smash 2014.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Me too. While there was a lot of unacceptable errors that came in running the tournament, almost all of the major issues can be solved, and in some cases very easily. I still have my hopes that next year MLG will be a much better experience. I say this knowing that MLG acknowledges the mistakes that they made, and that's a very good step in the right direction and signs of future improvement.

I say give it one more year. If it still proves itself to be a poorly run tournament, then that's more than enough incentive to cut off all ties. But we could potentially ruin a great opportunity for us if we give up MLG off of this tournament alone. Despite its flaws, MLG was still fun and I'd be more than welcome to give it a second chance if they show willingness for improvement.

Last edited:

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
The hype for me really wasn't all there at MLG Anaheim. With all the unnecessary commercial breaks that would last longer than some of the sets and small little interviews, it was really hard for me to sit through. I've always loved watching big tournaments, but with the overestimation on entrants, sloppily done scheduling, set up and execution, and just the inability to keep my attention, MLG Anaheim was probably the most disappointing big tournament I've seen. And to have this news show up about more problems with the tournament, kind of proves my point.

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
MLG Anaheim 2014 had way too many commercial breaks. Seriously like wow. Sure GFs were hype but MLG overall failed to do much right.

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
Seriously though, call me paranoid, but I almost (the keyword being almost) wanna say someone at MLG sabotaged it or something, if this much went completely wrong.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
adblock keeps away the pizza... luckily I didn't see any ads at MLG.

Drover

Smash Cadet
Please find the match where M2K eliminated PPMD. That was the 2nd time M2K pulled out his pink falcon and that time he nearly won!

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Though a lot of things went wrong, the most important thing to take from this experience is that we DID get to go back to MLG and take over a big stage again. Yes, it wasn't the BEST time, but the fact is we were there once more with 300+ smashers representing the community.

I think, despite all the issues, it was a landmark in the game's history. And if you disagree, well, just wait for CEO then.

Depster

Smash Champion
A lot of you would be much less ungrateful if you actually participated and placed highly in the tournament.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Though a lot of things went wrong, the most important thing to take from this experience is that we DID get to go back to MLG and take over a big stage again. Yes, it wasn't the BEST time, but the fact is we were there once more with 300+ smashers representing the community.

I think, despite all the issues, it was a landmark in the game's history. And if you disagree, well, just wait for CEO then.
But is getting back to MLG with these kind of problems really worth it? MLG is supposed to be one of the biggest stages and it was run like a house tournament.The smash community survived without MLG before and I am sure we can do it again.

I've attended quite a few events from Halo 2-3-Reach and never did I see this level of problems. It seemed like MLG just did not care about Smash. In my opinion. Here's to CEO and EVO though!

Last edited:

Osennecho

Smash Ace
This has been a horrible experience for smash but a wonderful one at the same time. Honestly, as it is, I don't really see a replacement for MLG, and I think the best we can do is just hope it's better next time.

The only alternative would be the most respected members of the smash community: D1, Scar, etc organizing a yearly donation drive of which the entirety would go towards the pot of an enormous smash scene driven yearly tournament. I don't see amassing 20k donations to it in a year being unreasonable, but I also don't see this scenario happening either.

In other-words please get your **** together for next year MLG. Hopefully it will be a better experience for both sides.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Twitch is a superior streaming service. mlg.tv is literally a joke. I'm not even mad at the ads, they need to get their paper, but when the only ad is that Pizza Hut one it gets extremely tedious to see that several times in a 30 minute period. It's just that you can't view the archived matches, and the chat is subpar.

For something that is supposed to be, "professional level" it really is a downgrade from watching our own dedicated streams. For example, VGBootcamp. I cannot say I expect that exact level of catering from mlg, but it could be a bit more streamlined. I really like the matches they set up between the top level players, and I liked the scheduling for some of the things that happened on time. Although this was sort of a let down, the potential is still there.

Last edited:

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
A lot of you would be much less ungrateful if you actually participated and placed highly in the tournament.
I would actually be MORE upset if I made Top 32 at MLG and didn't get my best matches recorded. I'm sure PP and M2K are at least lamenting the loss of opportunity to study their matches and use them to improve their game.

I just don't see where you're coming from on this. Like...did you consider that perspective before you posted? Or did you just post it and say "Yeah, people will agree with that."?

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
Well that sucks, because I missed majority of the tournament due to commercials.

Top Bottom