• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MISSION: EBA and Ouendan support thread

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now I see what those guys on Sakurai's poll were talkig about. Ouendan characters would be fan-freaking-tastic in Smash, and if I'm not mistaken, they're Second party (I think. I'm still not entirely sure oif iNis is Second Party. Not that I care). That guy on the cover would do awesomely as a character. He would do those funky cheer squad dance moves as his specials and A moves, as well as probably call on his buddies Saitou and Suzuki. Beyond that, I have no clue, except that it would be awesome.

True, it only came out in Japan, but there is a sequel coming out in the US called "Elite Beat Agents" featuring western music instead of J-pop. The devs could rig it so that in the Japanese version of Brawl, The Ouendan Guys are the default and the Elite Beat guys are the alt costume, and in the US, make it so that the Elite Beat guys are the default and the Ouendan guys are the alt costume.

Wow, I really want this game now.

What the game is about: It's about a Cheer Squad that goes around Japan and motivates people as they do stuff, like Pottery, and making tea, or crazy stuff like Fighting giant monsters. Thing is, whatever people do while under Ouendan's Cheer spell, They do it in the most EXTREEEM way possible. It's awesome.

What really comes to mind for me is imagining Ouendan Kirby, with that crazy hair and with the ability to summon two other Ouendan Kirbies with his NeutralB move.

Ideas about this character?

EDIT!:

Two new Videos, since the one I first put up has long since been taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHqXAqn3VI8
Elite Beat Agents. A Babysitter does her thing as HARD AS SHE POSSIBLY CAN with the help of her big jock boyfriend. To the song "Walkie-Talkie Man."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7frypv341nw&mode=related&search=
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! A boy comes back from the dead to woo his former girlfriend. To the Japanese song "Over the distance."

Elite Beat Agents is now out in the USA, and rather start a new Topic, I figured, lets put the two together.

EBA is the American version/Sequel/Remake of Ouendan, using different characters, Better choreography(IMO), and American music. I haven't played the game yet, so I can't say for sure what the character's names are, besides Commander Khan, but I suppose thats just an afterthought. Like the above game, EBA involves three men in suits cheerleading as people go about difficult tasks, and their success is directly tied to your cheer-skill.

This game involves new scenarios, including filming a movie, A weatherperson predicting the weather(or rather, making a prediction come true), A pirate searching for buried treasure, and A Looney Tunes-esc chapter where a cat has to save a baby from a construction site. It also includes multiple endings to each chapter depending on how much you failed.

Basically, any moveset ideas would work just as well with EBA-themed characters, though the EBA are much "Dancier" and less "Formal" than the Ouendan. Also, they hold microphones.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Normally, I would bash a bunch of men who were cheerleading and doing crazy dances like that but this is an exception. This was hillarious and reminds me of Wario Ware and the main character(the guy with red bandana) seems like an....interesting character. I'd like to see him in Brawl.

I want this game too now!

icymatt

Smash Lord
It's one of my favorite ideas. The game needs wacky, choreographed characters like this!

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Dunno. I don't really think they deserve a spot in Brawl as characters based on what I've seen. But I can't really judge them since I haven't played the game yet .

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
If anyone here has played Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for the Playstation, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Okay, how's this for Ouendan's moves (The character should be named Ouendan, because that's the name of the team. The guys actually have names, but I digress) Most of the time you play as Ryuta (Or Hajime, I'm not sure which one is the guy on the cover). Most of the normal A moves, tilts, and Arials are normal, if a bit dance-y, A moves, But his Smashes and select other A moves summon either Saito or suzuki in to do an attack while Ryuta poses, then they disappear behind him. His B moves are similar, but they are much more flamboyant.

Neutral B: Osu! (Go!) - Works somewhat like Marth's Sword Dance. Ryuta calls Saito and Suzuki to the field (with a cry of "Osu!")and they stand to either side of him. As long as you press B to the rythm of the backround music of the stage (Faster songs = Harder, but more useful) the three of you will do cheers. You can be knocked out of it with a well placed low-blow to the legs, but any enemies trying to get at you from the air will fall to your flailing arms of justice, especially on stages with fast songs (Dream Land 64 anyone? DK Rap?). Essentially a different move for every song that plays in the game.

Side B: Tatakae! (Fight!) - Ryuta poses and says "Tatakae!", Saito appears in front of Ryuta and does a fast punching combonation. At low percentages, it is possible to be caught and hit by all ten punches. Ryuta is utterly vulnerable from the back.

Down B: Elite Beat strike - Ryuta poses. Saito and Suzuki appear on either side of him crouched low. They do breakdance moves similar to Sheik's Down B. Reflects Projectiles if they are struck correctly. Ryuta is utterly vulnerable from the air.

Up B: Ouendan! (Cheersquad) - Saito and Suzuki appear undernieth Ryuta and give him a boost upwards as he yells "Ouendaaaaaan!" He holds his arms out like superman and can cause damage with his flying body.

Taunt: Waddaya think they do? Ryuta poses and the other two pose around him. They all cry out "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!"

Super: The Ouendan begins to cheer and become invincible. Enemies within a set radius within the Ouendan recieve a huge Speed, Damage, Jump, and KO bonus for as long at the Ouendan cheers. The backround also grows Red and has Anime action lines to it. Also Enemies effected by the squad's cheering lose life every time they attack, like Pichu. The squad cheers for about ten seconds for every character effected, just enough time for the other characters to have done some hardcore damage to eachother. If no enemies are effected, the move is whiffed and the squad falls over. (Fun, huh? They use the enemies against eachother) Utterly useless in non-FFA, except to trick enemies into damaging themselves with their own attacks, or throwing them off and sending them off a cliff with the speed and jump boosts.

------------

These guys would be almost as fun as Phoenix Wright.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing you heard about this game from Penny Arcade?

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Ah yes, Elite Beat Agents. To me, that's one of those games that looks pretty strange at first, but then you get into them and it's really good. Most anime's are like that, lol.

Anyhow, I've had some interest in the game, and I can easily see this happening for Smash.

dotdotdot! said:
What really comes to mind for me is imagining Ouendan Kirby, with that crazy hair and with the ability to summon two other Ouendan Kirbies with his NeutralB move.
Rofl, that would be freakin' hysterical! I'd love that so much, dude. This has to be one of the greatest character suggestions I have ever seen.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot! said:
Nope, from Sakurai's Poll, then From VG cats, then from Youtube, then Wikipedia.
My bad. Anyhow, the game looks awesome, but I'll probably wait out for Elite Beat Agents ( it's probably slightly inferior, though).

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chaps said:
My bad. Anyhow, the game looks awesome, but I'll probably wait out for Elite Beat Agents ( it's probably slightly inferior, though).
Hell, if I've got the money and time I'll get both. Nintendo DS is destroying my life!

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
The Cheer Squad has been at the top of my list from the minute I saw it on Sakurai's list. I've been dying to import it for months now, and I think I've finally given in... My friend's boyfriend has it and it's simply an amazing, crazy experience. The Cheer Squad would most definitely be a fun, unique, and awesome addition to the Brawl cast.

parrothead said:
There was another video like that available on the official website, which was playing the song by 175R, "Melody". This is the only video I found on YouTube that plays the same song, but showing the female cheerleaders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATHewnqxSIU
For the three main game settings, the Cheer Squad consists of the three normal guys. However, after beating the third difficulty (a task that many find nearly impossible), a fourth difficulty setting is opened up. In this setting, the Cheer Squad now consists of three "more stereotypical" girl cheerleaders. However, Ouendan! really is about male cheerleaders and they would be the ones most likely to be considered for inclusion in Brawl. The females could, of course, be a sweet alternate costume! :)

parrothead

Smash Lord
And Nintendo might switch the Ouendans with the Elite Beat Agents for the Americans and Europeans.

TripleWordScore

Smash Rookie
Now this, I want. Personally, I like the look of the original Ouendan guy, but I'll put up with anyone who beats people up by dancing. Fighters that appear "accidental" have always been my favourite.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
parrothead said:
And Nintendo might switch the Ouendans with the Elite Beat Agents for the Americans and Europeans.
Yeah, I suppose. It's just that I like the Japanese dude with the red band better personally.

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
-Mace-Solo- said:
Yeah, I suppose. It's just that I like the Japanese dude with the red band better personally.
Exactly. However, I can't imagine them including the Beat Agents in the American version and NOT including the orginal Cheer Squad as an alternate costume.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
I bet Beat Agents will suck..Who wants lame American songs? It probably won't be funny either. Ouedan rocks though.
Eh... Nintendo kept Wario Ware pretty much intact for the US

And yes, Ouendan would rock this game so hard it's not funny :laugh: ELITE BEAT FOR BRAWL!!

icymatt

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
What exactly would they do? Dance people to death?
Exactly.

Another question: If they are in the game, would Nintendo use one of the licensed tunes from the game?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Wow. . . That looks like a great game! Was that J-Rap? I have no idea what their saying but the words flow together like in a song I heard that I know is J-Rap.

Im all for them being in brawl. They would have some funny moves and would most likely be hyper active in game play.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
There is a song where they sound like theyre saying masterbating. They would probably use the sweet ouendan theme song. It's SKA!! I love ska! :D

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
I'm an avid Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan player -- I bought it the day it came out in Japan without an prior influence; it was an impulse buy. It's the best DS game, PERIOD. I played Elite Beat Agents at E3, and that game was pretty awesome too.

I would absolutely love for Ryuta from the cheer squad to be a playable character. It would be a dream come true, and it's my second most wanted character. (Who I will now root for, knowing my 1st most wanted character made it in.)

I know Sakurai said something about Japanese-only characters, but this is one he should really consider. Coupled with a stage that uses the actual music (Melody, for instance) would just be awesome. If not Ouendan, than the Elite Beat Agents at my service would be nice. :)

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Master said:
There is a song where they sound like theyre saying masterbating. They would probably use the sweet ouendan theme song. It's SKA!! I love ska! :D
One Night Carnival is the name of the song, and they're saying "Can you master baby?".

Also, I never thought of it that way, but I guess the Ouendan theme is a little bit ska-like. Interesting observation.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
They would certainly be an interesting addition, and there is no problem with plugging Elite Beat Agents into Brawl. Anyone have a good moveset for them?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
G.Fizzle said:
I think these guys would just hurt the game mabe they could be cheerleaders for charatcers....
Why would these guys hurt the game? Name ONE reason. If you cannot, please refer to my sig.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Maybe not as characters, but these guys would be appreciated in Brawl. And in the second dance part of the movie... didn't anyone notice where the energy ball things were going?

Edit: They would hurt the game with that music. :)

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:
Edit: They would hurt the game with that music. :)
I can think of only two ways to take that statement. Either you're not a fan of J-pop or you feel that it would be inappropriate to "interrupt" the games normal music with Ouendan music when the team does a move (etc.). The first option is, of course, opinion and was probably intended as a joke (sorry if I missed the sarcasm :ohwell: ). However, if you did indeed intend for the statement to be interrpreted in the second manner, I would like to point out that both the Starman and Hammer items interrupt the games "normal" music with an interjected tune of their own- without disrupting the flow of the game.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
xzakcorex said:
I can think of only two ways to take that statement. Either you're not a fan of J-pop or you feel that it would be inappropriate to "interrupt" the games normal music with Ouendan music when the team does a move (etc.). The first option is, of course, opinion and was probably intended as a joke (sorry if I missed the sarcasm :ohwell: ). However, if you did indeed intend for the statement to be interrpreted in the second manner, I would like to point out that both the Starman and Hammer items interrupt the games "normal" music with an interjected tune of their own- without disrupting the flow of the game.
Also, you probably wouldn't have to use the Ouendan Music anyway. Just have them dance to whatever music is playing in the backround. Besides, they probably couldn't get the rights to the music anyway (Nor could they get the rights to the English-language equivalents music. Ouendan is cool with or without the music, because Smash is already full of music useful to the Ouendan dancers.

There... Now that's taken care of...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
dotdotdot! said:
If anyone here has played Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for the Playstation, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Played Joseph Joestar on MUGEN and I am a fan of the seris (Season 3 is the bet!) I know this the Quendan thread, but is the JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure game any good?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
hemightbegiant said:
Played Joseph Joestar on MUGEN and I am a fan of the seris (Season 3 is the bet!) I know this the Quendan thread, but is the JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure game any good?
Thats sort of off the topic. I never actually played the Jojo game for PSX, but I did use the characters in Mugen.

Also, I know very little of the actual Jojo Anime, except for the battle cries (Mudamuda, Oraora, Wryyyyyyyy etc.) And that guy that karate chops cameras to make pictures of Dio appear.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
dotdotdot! said:
Thats sort of off the topic. I never actually played the Jojo game for PSX, but I did use the characters in Mugen.

Also, I know very little of the actual Jojo Anime, except for the battle cries (Mudamuda, Oraora, Wryyyyyyyy etc.) And that guy that karate chops cameras to make pictures of Dio appear.
OFF TOPIC: The guy that Karate Chops camera's is Joseph Joestar. The reason he chops camneras is that his stand, HErmit Purple, is not a fighting stand. He just doesn't need camera's to find answers, he can also use tv's, radio's etc.

ON TOPIC: I have heard in other threads that these guys should fight together as a three-man Ice Climbers team. I think they should have just one in order to avoid complications. However, whataver they choose, these guys deserve to be in BRAWL!

icymatt

Smash Lord
I'm reviving this thread due to this idea being awesome and EBA's confirmed mid-Novemeber release date(I will be buying one Day 1.)

I love the idea of rhythm-based attacks, and it would be great to get 'em into Brawl.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
hmm. actualy, I would very much like it if ouendan was in brawl.(I made an ouendan item thread, however I would like it more if they were characters. even though they are much more likely as an item.) although I am certain that the american version will have the elite beat agents, and if you change the language to japanese, then you can play as ouendan. they would play the same, but with different costumes and music.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright. I'm giving this thread a bump. I've been going crazy resisting the urge to pull a McFox-style "Who I want in Brawl" thread and I've decided to help take the pain off by reviving my Ouendan thread.

The reason for this, A few days ago, I just got the game, hot off the plane from Japan right to my doorstep. Let me just say that this game is blowing me away. It's bordering on obsession. If it wasn't sharing my DS with Starfox Command (An equally awesome game. So much genuine character-relationship it makes me weep with joy) I would be it's slave and follow it's every whim until I beat the Meteor level with the Cheer girls.

So, as to what i've learned. The song, "Melody" used in the Japanese festival scenario, is both the most recent song(2005), and is the only song on O!T!O! that is not a cover. It is also billed as "The song from Ouendan" For this reason, I suppose it would be the easiest choice for Ouendan stage-music. That or the odd little main menu theme, or the "Ouendan Anthem" that plays over the tutorial. The other material is a bit iffy, since it comes from 80s and 90s and can't really be classified as "Video game music."

Keep the Ouendan thread alive, and look at the videos on Youtube, they're a riot. I'm off to play some of it right now.

(Help me. When I close my eyes I see colored hit-circles!)

Top Bottom