• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
After viewing lots of Smash 4 videos these past few days, I would say I'm now interested in maining Palutena. By the footage I saw, I think she's an awesome play style. Compared to characters I was excited for and underwhelmed by like Mega Man, it's nice to see a character, I wasn't that interested in maining at first, become someone who I think will be a fun character to use.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Can we just take a moment to appreciate Palutena's amazing stage entrance?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Can we just take a moment to appreciate Palutena's amazing stage entrance?

It's like Smashing is some freetime hobby of hers, while to all else it's just plain serious business.

So check up Palutena for once (man I've been busy) and she looks rock-solid tank'n' defense character. Reflect Barrier is too good. Auto-Reticle could have same utility use as RosaLuma's Starbit-move. And yes for shield bases being a killer moves.

Great to also know she has all custom moves ready for her (Just watch those other peasants work for theirs. :troll:)

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Imagine doubles with Villagers. Both come out from the door from their living residents and go like "Hello, how's things" and then they're ready for some Smashing.
Or Pit and Palutena come outta the same door doing a small pose or something. It would be so magical. <3

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That Palutena gameplay makes me much happier about her. That speed, D-air spike, and definitely versatile. And that's just her default specials. Imagine how she could be like with different custom combinations. <3
I enjoy and appreciate the data and footage you're giving us. I hope Pit will be the next (mainly his customs).

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Great video! I like your aggressiveness with Palutena, I couldn't even find room to breathe for Robin.
She definitely looks like a force to be reckoned with.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
The mind games she can play with dodge roll, and warp.. I think I'm going to be using only warp for up special...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Someone on Reddit posted a nice Palutena impression. Here's the link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2gafcb/quick_palutena_impressionsanalysis/

One interesting point is that he believes her standard specials are significantly worse than some of her custom ones, and that they can completely change how she plays. It seems like the combination of Jump Glide and Super Speed can turn her into a very fast and aggressive fighter.

Ah... Haven't posted on Smashboards for too long... It's good to be back...!
not to be rude but that person is wrong about a lot of things. Some things aren't mentioned or ignored completely.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
not to be rude but that person is wrong about a lot of things. Some things aren't mentioned or ignored completely.
In a sense, he is partially right. Palutena does have customs that can make an aggressive Palutena, however, where I disagree with him is that Palutena's default specials are just fine as is for aggressive play. That's why I love what Sakurai did with Palutena's specials. Offering different specials for different players. It's nice that we will get to see multiple Palutena play styles.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I have to say I really like your fighting style most people prefer to play her more defensively, but you use the dodges to increase offensive pressure on the opponent.

I am really suprised she has a Meteor Smash, does her kick is as hard to sweetspot as Zelda's?
Actually, surprisingly it's pretty easy to land. It also has a bounce if you hit the target over the stage, although your target can quickly recover from it, so it is hard to follow up on.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Ha! Who says Palutena has to be defensive only? She can be aggressive as well. It just makes me love her even more with her versatility. And all that teleporting is definitely fun to trick ppl with.
It definitely is.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
One thing i noticed and i misjudged....

her Usmash defintiely kills.. but it seems to have a sweetspot at the base of the beam which has the huge knockup

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
It definitely is.
One question.

In one of your fights ...the one u were facing Little mac, in the minute 2:34 you seem to poke mac with a single jab (i suppouse is A-jab)....and he seems to elevate a little from the floor and then trasition in his falling animation when touching the floor. It seems thats because he was at a certain % and made him elevate anbd fall like that.... but my question is... that maybe from that jab you could link a down tilt?, as it seemed you recovered from ur jab animation much faster than he did from his falling animation.

Im asking you this because it seemed to me that you could do a poke set up pretty much like falco does in melee when he pokes enemies at high% and force them into an animation just to be Dsmashed or >Fsmashed by him without a chance to do anything.

It would be interesting if possible to set up enemies at close distance like that, and useful because that looks to be fast and safe in comparison with her directional titls

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm liking everything I'm seeing when it comes to Palutena! She's looking great!

It's almost weird to think about back when all we talked about was the possibility of her being in Smash, and that sort of thing.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
One question.

In one of your fights ...the one u were facing Little mac, in the minute 2:34 you seem to poke mac with a single jab (i suppouse is A-jab)....and he seems to elevate a little from the floor and then trasition in his falling animation when touching the floor. It seems thats because he was at a certain % and made him elevate anbd fall like that.... but my question is... that maybe from that jab you could link a down tilt?, as it seemed you recovered from ur jab animation much faster than he did from his falling animation.

Im asking you this because it seemed to me that you could do a poke set up pretty much like falco does in melee when he pokes enemies at high% and force them into an animation just to be Dsmashed or >Fsmashed by him without a chance to do anything.

It would be interesting if possible to set up enemies at close distance like that, and useful because that looks to be fast and safe in comparison with her directional titls
Ok, I just tested that for you. Yes this could work with anything between 50-160%, however, the opponent can simply jump after the jab.....that is if they know that they can. I would say that particular combo you have in mind would be more of a mind game combo because most people wouldn't think to jump from that. But I also notice that Palutena can do a stun (floats in air) off of it when the opponent reaches 188%. From there, you can follow up with an attack that can't be dodged. I would prefer her forward air smash because it's quicker. Out of all her tilts, I love her down tilt the most. It's damage output is decent, it has great knock back, it is quick, and it puts a space between Palutena and her target.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Ok, I just tested that for you. Yes this could work with anything between 50-160%, however, the opponent can simply jump after the jab.....that is if they know that they can. I would say that particular combo you have in mind would be more of a mind game combo because most people wouldn't think to jump from that. But I also notice that Palutena can do a stun (floats in air) off of it when the opponent reaches 188%. From there, you can follow up with an attack that can't be dodged. I would prefer her forward air smash because it's quicker. Out of all her tilts, I love her down tilt the most. It's damage output is decent, it has great knock back, it is quick, and it puts a space between Palutena and her target.
Exactly. It is a indgame combo if you wanna call it that way...because even when it is escapable..the action you did on little mac happens very fast and most people do not expect a jab to down tilt set up...in other words... they miss the jump window and let the character touch the floor..locking him in his "air to ground" animation and setting him up for the tilt.

Thx for taking up the tmie to test it.-

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Exactly. It is a indgame combo if you wanna call it that way...because even when it is escapable..the action you did on little mac happens very fast and most people do not expect a jab to down tilt set up...in other words... they miss the jump window and let the character touch the floor..locking him in his "air to ground" animation and setting him up for the tilt.

Thx for taking up the tmie to test it.-
No problem. I mean hey, you just gave me a new mix up.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Thanks for the videos! Finally get to see my lady play. Definitely my second main with Kirby, Ness and Pit. I kinda wished her recovery default was Jump Glide but this teleport she has reminds me of Mewtwo's. Pretty cool either way!

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
We need more Palutena testing. I now have a new batch of stuff that I'm after.

-Does Palutena's U-smash and Heavenly Light go through walls?
-I want to see Lightweight and Super Speed's traits, and how she goes when she jumps. Can the moves be used in the air as a potential recovery support?
-Angelic Missile's properties, and is it a potential reliable horizontal recovery move?
-Jump Glide and what moves you can use while under its effects.
-Her throws. WHERE ARE HER THROWS!?
-Some Palutena combos?
-Some secrets thing Palutena sort of like wondering about if codecs are really there.
-What she says during her taunts and victory poses, not to mention I need to see victory poses.
-A full demonstration and showcase of all her moves. I probably said it before, but it's important.
-Spam rate of some moves, and if some aerials auto-cancel and how much their landing lag is, etc.
-Move damage, power, and sweetspots if there's any.
-Not as important, but curiosity on how she holds and uses items, her dizzy, sleeping, and other animations, including "get-up" attacks from the ledge and floor (face down and face up).. I'll walk someone through if they ever do this.

Someone may have to slow down the speed during training mode often to get a closer look at some things, but I think it'll be worth it.for me and each of us who want to main the Goddess of Light. <3
:4palutena: It definitely will, and you know crazy I can be with wanting data. :4palutena:
Ok. Now it is time to answer some of these.

1. Yes both work through walls. (I know I answered this already, but I'm just providing it for the
convenience)

2. Both Super Speed and Light weight can be used in air as recovery moves. Super Speed can be canceled out of by pressing B. It will first start by pushing your opponent, and then Palutena will hit them. It travels relatively far. In air, she moves across like regularly, but she also moves down too. So be careful when using this as a recovery. Light Weight is pretty much what it says. Just like in uprising, it makes her very light and fast. She can also jump higher with this. However, she can easily get sent flying away. With that said, both moves have an interval. After using Super Speed, Palutena will have a 4 second interval before she can use the move again. With Light Weight, once activated, the move will stay active for 12 seconds. After that, Palutena will become slow after the effects wear off. Palutena will remain slow for 5 seconds before she goes back to her normal speeds. But even after that, Palutena can't use Light Weight again until 5 seconds after she goes back to her normal speeds. You will know when you can use both of these moves again when you see a flashing circle around Palutena.

3. Angelic Missile is great for a horizontal recovery. It isn't charged either, it just fires her. Once the move is over, Palutena can still be able to move after using it. In fact, she can actually use the move again. So there is no vulnerable phase.

4. Jump Glide has two effects. One on ground, and one in the air. The one on ground is like a floating short hop, which is great for combos. It doesn't go high up. It is just like a short hop. While the one in air goes very high up. It also travels her very fast. Overall, it will keep Palutena in the air for 4 seconds. And yes, you can attack during this with any her aerials. However, once you do, Palutena will go into her vulnerable phase, so use wisely.

The rest are stuff that I can show in a video.
Hope this info helps. :/

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ok. Now it is time to answer some of these.

1. Yes both work through walls. (I know I answered this already, but I'm just providing it for the
convenience)

2. Both Super Speed and Light weight can be used in air as recovery moves. Super Speed can be canceled out of by pressing B. It will first start by pushing your opponent, and then Palutena will hit them. It travels relatively far. In air, she moves across like regularly, but she also moves down too. So be careful when using this as a recovery. Light Weight is pretty much what it says. Just like in uprising, it makes her very light and fast. She can also jump higher with this. However, she can easily get sent flying away. With that said, both moves have an interval. After using Super Speed, Palutena will have a 4 second interval before she can use the move again. With Light Weight, once activated, the move will stay active for 12 seconds. After that, Palutena will become slow after the effects wear off. Palutena will remain slow for 5 seconds before she goes back to her normal speeds. But even after that, Palutena can't use Light Weight again until 5 seconds after she goes back to her normal speeds. You will know when you can use both of these moves again when you see a flashing circle around Palutena.

3. Angelic Missile is great for a horizontal recovery. It isn't charged either, it just fires her. Once the move is over, Palutena can still be able to move after using it. In fact, she can actually use the move again. So there is no vulnerable phase.

4. Jump Glide has two effects. One on ground, and one in the air. The one on ground is like a floating short hop, which is great for combos. It doesn't go high up. It is just like a short hop. While the one in air goes very high up. It also travels her very fast. Overall, it will keep Palutena in the air for 4 seconds. And yes, you can attack during this with any her aerials. However, once you do, Palutena will go into her vulnerable phase, so use wisely.

The rest are stuff that I can show in a video.
Hope this info helps. :/
With some of these specials amplifying her recovery, it can be a tough choice to choose between the defensive powers of Reflect Barrier, Counter, and Celestial Fireworks or the amplification of speed and recovery, but that just not only makes her better, it just makes her even more versatile with the choices the player makes.

Thank you once again so far! The data is so satisfying!

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I got 3rd at the Japanese Smash 4 Invitational hosted by Tourney Locator. I used Palutena the whole tourney, and went undefeated in the swiss format of the tourney before the top 4 double elimination bracket. I didn't do as well when I got to the bracket and ended up losing to the same players I beat earlier. My thoughts on Palutena: She has a pretty good keep-away game, but she definitely has holes in it with a lot of her tilts and smashes having significant ending lag/cool-down. Her jab is really good in close quarters, and her Warp can get her out of tricky situations. Auto Reticle is best used at max range; it's good at mid-range, but it definitely is not completely safe. Her neutral game consists of basically her specials with her Auto Reticle, Reflect for projectiles and pushing the opponent back, Warp for movement and landing mixups, and just basically dashing, shielding, and rolling (Smash 4 is looking really ground-based). I think she will be mid-tier when it's all said and done, but we'll see in due time.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Those were some pretty good matches. Nice job man! I love how you utilized her teleport, and dodge rolls aggressively.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This Palutena footage is delicious. And just think how she'll be when using different custom specials.
EDIT: That windbox! <3

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Very nice matches. I'm noticing that Autoreticle shouldn't really be thrown out a lot; it's easy to dodge and punish unless you hit from max range. Also I think Counter would've really come in handy in some of those matches

Top Bottom