• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
And it sounds like potential to get some Pally ditto matches recorded after them patches happen. o:
Hope for the best, and hope it's on the Wii U too.
Yeah, it's a shame that they might end up patching the Super Speed exploit on the Wii U like they did on the 3DS. And I just started making use of that like following up from forward throw.

But yes, some Palutena dittos would be very fun.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yeah, it's a shame that they might end up patching the Super Speed exploit on the Wii U like they did on the 3DS. And I just started making use of that like following up from forward throw.

But yes, some Palutena dittos would be very fun.
I'm comfortable with using Reflect Barrier, so it's okay. >_<

Definitely. Tons of Palutena. I don't know if I want to use Pit for this though.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I'm comfortable with using Reflect Barrier, so it's okay. >_<

Definitely. Tons of Palutena. I don't know if I want to use Pit for this though.
Glad I'm not the only Pally who prefers reflect over super speed. Kinda thought I was the only one.

And sure, Pit is fine. It doesn't have to be a Palutena only match.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Glad I'm not the only Pally who prefers reflect over super speed. Kinda thought I was the only one.

And sure, Pit is fine. It doesn't have to be a Palutena only match.
Well it's my favorite outta the 3 Side-Bs. Using it offensively can be fun, not to mention always the option of reflecting projectiles.

Well while I do want Palutena-only, I don't want to neglect attention from Pit either. D: We'll see sometime.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Well it's my favorite outta the 3 Side-Bs. Using it offensively can be fun, not to mention always the option of reflecting projectiles.

Well while I do want Palutena-only, I don't want to neglect attention from Pit either. D: We'll see sometime.
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I love super speed, I truly truly do, but I just love the options reflect gives me. Whether it be delaying my opponent's aerials, reflecting Mac away from the stage, or just busting shields in general. But that's just me. What do I know? :)

But yup, would also love to fight against your Pitty-Pat again.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm quite comfortable using Reflect, though I'm trying to get into the habit of using Super Speed as an alternative.

I'll honestly take anything over Counter. Lightweight just happens to be the most practical, in my experience.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Well Pallys, just 3 more days and we will finally get that new balance patch. I'm hoping for a change, and a good one at that. If there are any new changes I might have to make a vid on that.

Who knows? Maybe this new patch might actually make Heavenly Light more useful!
Hahahaha hahaha...ha.........
Imo, if all they did was sped up her tilts so she only spins her staff once or something, I'd be happy

Speed up smashed maybe a tad and she'd be great really

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I love super speed, I truly truly do, but I just love the options reflect gives me. Whether it be delaying my opponent's aerials, reflecting Mac away from the stage, or just busting shields in general. But that's just me. What do I know? :)

But yup, would also love to fight against your Pitty-Pat again.
Cute Pit aims to please. I still miss his brawl self with his tricks though. D:
I'm not big on SS mainly because I ain't good with the speedy stuff. Reflect fits my defensive style... well, it may be aggressive because of how this game was built.
I thought I was the only one that says "What do I know?" :p

My Down-B? I prefer the fun AA goodness of Fireworks. The feeling when you can still get a few early kills with such a cool move even when you're not good with LW, which is my case.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Cute Pit aims to please. I still miss his brawl self with his tricks though. D:
I'm not big on SS mainly because I ain't good with the speedy stuff. Reflect fits my defensive style... well, it may be aggressive because of how this game was built.
I thought I was the only one that says "What do I know?" :p

My Down-B? I prefer the fun AA goodness of Fireworks. The feeling when you can still get a few early kills with such a cool move even when you're not good with LW, which is my case.
One of the main things I miss from brawl Pit was how he can fire that bow, and constantly keep it alive. And not just 1 or 2 or 3 but 4 (probably more if fast enough) arrows active in the sky, and have it rain down like PK StarStorm. I also miss the glide mechanic. Found that pretty useful on a number of occasions, especially in Project M.

As for my favorite down B, it's still going to be Lightweight (for reasons that never have to be explained), but I did grew an attachment to Celestial Fireworks as of yesterday. Me and my brother were fooling around with customs, and I had some fun with those fire works.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
One of the main things I miss from brawl Pit was how he can fire that bow, and constantly keep it alive. And not just 1 or 2 or 3 but 4 (probably more if fast enough) arrows active in the sky, and have it rain down like PK StarStorm. I also miss the glide mechanic. Found that pretty useful on a number of occasions, especially in Project M.

As for my favorite down B, it's still going to be Lightweight (for reasons that never have to be explained), but I did grew an attachment to Celestial Fireworks as of yesterday. Me and my brother were fooling around with customs, and I had some fun with those fire works.
I miss all of that + glidetossing. Same for his little F-throw CG he had on some characters, which you can do F-smash after at the right percents from 0%. Plus I kinda miss his edge skills.

Pretty Fireworks. While it's not time for it yet, I want to display a special Pally pic I took yesterday, one of many, and it features, well um... Let's just have a look...

Celebration!

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I miss all of that + glidetossing. Same for his little F-throw CG he had on some characters, which you can do F-smash after at the right percents from 0%. Plus I kinda miss his edge skills.

Pretty Fireworks. While it's not time for it yet, I want to display a special Pally pic I took yesterday, one of many, and it features, well um... Let's just have a look...

Celebration!
Absolutely beautiful!

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Any tip for edge guarding with Palutena? I haven't actually practiced anything with it, and usually just kill my opponents using the dthrow > uair combo.

I also panic every time I jump off stage with Palutena, her recovery just feels so... unreliable at times.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Any tip for edge guarding with Palutena? I haven't actually practiced anything with it, and usually just kill my opponents using the dthrow > uair combo.

I also panic every time I jump off stage with Palutena, her recovery just feels so... unreliable at times.
I stand on the edge and start jabbing nonsensically, so when the opponent comes up, they'll immediately get trapped in the jab and will go back to offstage once the jab's finisher comes. Plus, if they have a good amount of damage, the finisher will KO them!

God, how could I ever think of even dropping Palutena as one of my mains? She's so fun to use!!!!

Burigu

Smash Ace

I can't disagree more with you, I love Palutena's Wrap recovery you can chase the opponent off stage to kill them and even hit them 2 times and still make it back to the stage pretty safe, you can even been near the bottom of the stage and a single Warp will safe you, in fact Palutena's Warp has made me a way more aggresive player off stage just because her recover is so good IMO.

Yeah you can mess up the recovery sometimes (like with every character in the game) but that has to do more with the player than the actual recovery, which is pretty good. For me Warp is better than Jump Glide and Rocket Jump.

Warp: good distance recovery, can be used to escape dangerous situations, you can foul the opponent by warping in place, gives you invinsibility, can do the Warp cancel tech near the ledge to dance around warping from one piece to another.

Jump Glide: comes as a second in my book, it is a good approaching move and has that tech to grab the ledge, in distance is pretty decent and you can actually attack will using it.

Rocket Jump: comes for me as the worst of them all, I am so familiar with Palutena's good recovery that this one just come short in the distance department for my liking, it still has that nice spike effect off stage and is a good way to counterattack under pressure.

It seems I am of the few people here to appreciate Counter, I like that move a lot, I have a really good video of Cruel Smash where I KO'd 4 Mii using a timely counter, the feeling was amazing.

Also I beat Classic 9.0 with Palutena just yesterday, I know I know this is nothing special, but it was really nice since I have neglected Classic in this game way to much AND yeah I used standart Palutena, using customs (equipement) would just feel cheap for me.

Also I am 1 year old now in the boards, who would have guessed a year passed so fast

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seems I am of the few people here to appreciate Counter, I like that move a lot, I have a really good video of Cruel Smash where I KO'd 4 Mii using a timely counter, the filling was amazing.

Also I beat Classic 9.0 with Palutena just yesterday, I know I know this is nothing special, but it was really nice since I have neglected Classic in this game way to much AND yeah I used standart Palutena, using customs would just feel cheap for me.

Also I am 1 year old now in the boards, who would have guessed a year passed so fast
Counter is just that: a counter. Like all counters that don't deal fixed damage, it can be game-changing...
but the problem is that it's objectively the worst of all non-fixed counters. It only really has reach going for it,
otherwise it has a tiny window of activation and depending on the opponent's percent and strength of their attack
you can get punished on hit.

Personally I find Celestial Fireworks can fill the same anti-juggle and anti-pressure role of Counter
with more safety and flexibility with it's invincibility.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
but that has to do more with the player than the actual recovery
Oh! Absolutely, I don't deny that. Her recovery -is- good, it's just me that haven't trained enough with it, and just feels like it's unreliable. I also want to blame the camera how it zooms in and out and stuff, making me lose track of the stage, heh...

But in all truth, it's just me who needs to train more.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Counter is just that: a counter. Like all counters that don't deal fixed damage, it can be game-changing...
but the problem is that it's objectively the worst of all non-fixed counters. It only really has reach going for it,
otherwise it has a tiny window of activation and depending on the opponent's percent and strength of their attack
you can get punished on hit.

Personally I find Celestial Fireworks can fill the same anti-juggle and anti-pressure role of Counter
with more safety and flexibility with it's invincibility.
I find Marth and Lucina's counter worse on the tiny window department, so for me Palutena's Counter is OK in that aspect, sometimes I effectively timed Palutena's Counter and in the same situation I missed Lucina's because of activating it to early.

I agree Celestial Fireworks is really good but since I most of the time activate counter predicting a U-Smash of S-Smash when I am falling from above which almost always punish my opponent hard, so my preference of the move has to do more with my way to play than an actual superiority of the move compared to Celestial Fireworks.

Oh! Absolutely, I don't deny that. Her recovery -is- good, it's just me that haven't trained enough with it, and just feels like it's unreliable. I also want to blame the camera how it zooms in and out and stuff, making me lose track of the stage, heh...

But in all truth, it's just me who needs to train more.
Then keep practicing, some people give up on Palutena way to early because they simply didn't have the patience to learn how to play as her, maybe it is bias on my part but I have tons of fun playing as her, Sakurai captured her position as an elegant and cheerful goddess perfectly in her moveset. :4palutena:

Last edited:

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Then keep practicing, some people give up on Palutena way to early because they simply didn't have the patience to learn how to play as her, maybe it is bias on my part but I have tons of fun playing as her, Sakurai captured her position as an elegant and cheerful goddess perfectly in her moveset. :4palutena:
Have played with her since release of the Wii U version. I don't see me changing characater at all. Even if I'm no pro, I still have loads of fun.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
...some people give up on Palutena way to early because they simply didn't have the patience to learn how to play as her...
Ironically, I depend heavily on Pal for winning matches, even more so than my other main (:4falco:) or my secondary (:rosalina:). The former was intended to be the "superior" main, but it just didn't end up that way.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well I surely am not giving up on Palutena. She was my first choice and first ever played character when I got the game, had priority over even Pit, and that's saying a lot. She takes skill to use, and isn't cheap like some others, and that's what I love. She's a good balance that requires dedication to make the character look good, and with her unique customs, that makes the versatility and overall devotion needed better with a greater reward. Plus she's fun to use with some of that versatility and fun tricks... reminds me of my Brawl Pit days.
:4palutena:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I feel the same as well. Palutena isn't a very easy character to get into. She's not a character that you can just pick up in a matter of minutes, it takes time, and patience. Like Burigu said, people give up on her way too quickly. That's why most people label her as a bad character. They try her out, use her moves at the wrong time, lose, get mad, and quit.

Than they blame it all on her default specials, saying things like "Palutena is only good when she has custom moves." And than, they may pick her back up, but only for the customs.

I don't think her default specials are bad, I just think most players are bad with them.

The ONLY special move that I will never defend if someone told me it was a bad move is Heavenly Light. That move, has no future. The only thing I can think of that it would make good use for is in doubles and your partner is either Ness or (now) Lucus. Pull out Heavenly Light to serve up some Divine Healing. But that's all I can think of.

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
As soon as the patch drops I'm gonna be doing some in depth look at the goddess to see if anything has changed and I will throw all the info I find here. Mainly gonna be looking for damage/knockback changes as well as several property changes on all of her moves. Just the norm stuff. I'm not really expecting much from this patch but u NVR know

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace

If you're talking offstage, some characters you just don't want to challenge, but with those you do, every aerial has a place.
Fair is fast and great for just running off and poking for pressure or hitting people out of double jump
Bair obviously out-prioritizes basically EVERYTHING and can be used pretty easily against certain recoveries to stop them in their tracks.
Nair and Uair cover a ton of space, and Uair can kill at reasonable percents, though a bit higher when you're low offstage than normal. I generally will either drop off the stage with nair to cover the area below the ledge or just hop around with it and put hitboxes where I know my opponent wants to go.
Dair is somewhat hard to use but the application is obvious.

Don't be afraid to go out there, as she can get back from a good distance away. Just be calm about hitting Up B, don't panic and hit it from a bad angle, and try not to go under the stage. It might be a good idea to go as deep as you think you can during friendlies/practice matches to just get used to where you can survive at and how to get back safely.

On stage, Up Smash is practically brain-dead against horizontal recoveries and can net you free kills if they miss the ledge. I think the move also will hit just a bit below the ledge but I don't have proof. Reflect can also stop certain ones from passing through, and as a -very- situational option the windbox on Fsmash can push someone who is in freefall above the ledge away from it to their doom.

Once they're on the ledge, you have standard options for keeping them in a bad position. Nair and Uair cover jump, turn-around fsmash covers roll, jab covers standard get-up, block and punish, pivot smash, or short hop bair cover get up attack and ledgehoped aerials.

I don't think Palu has big problems edgeguarding as a character. I'd like her more with safer smashes, but while we're wishing I want lightweight to be part of her default moveset.

Edit: I forgot to mention ledge trumping, which is great, because doing that and hopping up after them puts them in prime position for a bair, which they're not likely to win against.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Ummm. I don't know if it's just me on the new patch but her Jab -> Grab timing is off. I keep getting into Jab combo. Can someone confirm?

Her turning around sliding animation is shorter for sure.

Last edited:

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Indefinite Lightweight is still here! Glide Bouncing is still here too.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
To be honest, she feels the same to me. It just seems like she is more like the 3DS Ver. 1.0.5 Palutena. You know with the super speed exploit no longer being activated by jumping into an up smash.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Palutena's grab!! is really good!

She can grab farther away!

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Holy **** it's true! I knew it was big but i think it is grabbing slightly further! Standing seems slightly better. Dash grab seems like it too? I think dash grab's frames might be slightly more active or something?

Usually the grab has to happen when she's making that dip motion but it can still grab a bit after the dip now???

Maybe just imagination X)

Her jab grab seems the same, or at least still good enough

Did fsmash windbox get bigger?

Last edited:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I'm still downloading, it's been an hour :( so our Palutena still got those endlags on her tilts and smashes?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The only thing I noticed was jab finisher doing +1 damage. So doing the whole jab without holding A does 9 instead of 8. It aint much but I need more research... and some Pally dittos later on, maybe.
Plus now I can send replays to friends. Sounds like potential for recording support now. :4palutena:

Last edited:

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
Based on what I got so far...Shes not MUCH changed at all. Across the board damage is the same...Though I have run into a strange occurence that her Fsmash kills 1% LATER than before and Dsmash (From the tip of wing) and Bair kill 2% later than my previous testing, I'm just gonna say thats a error on my part since I cannot go back and check. Also my method of testing is probably mediocre at best. All in all...she feels pretty much the same. Gonna mess around a lil bit and maybe fight some mewtwos on FG <.<

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
The only thing I noticed was jab finisher doing +1 damage. So doing the whole jab without holding A does 9 instead of 8. It aint much but I need more research... and some Pally dittos later on, maybe.
Plus now I can send replays to friends. Sounds like potential for recording support now. :4palutena:
Hmm....its still doing 8% for me O.O???

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm getting both 8 and 9% which is strange. My inputs are A A, so i don't mash or anything.

The last and first hit still do 3%. According to ssbwiki it did 3% before hand too, which each multihit doing 1%.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Tested with 2 versions of the game side by side.

Only change is Super Speed Jump Install can now only be done with an item in hand.

Everything else is the same (Tilts, Smashes, Jabs, Customs and yes, even Grab Range).

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So after downloading the patch, and heading online in for glory, I noticed some things....

1. Hard for me to get in a match.

2. My room is too hot. NEED AIR!!!

3. Everyone is trying to play as Mewtwo.

4. I haven't fought a Mewtwo yet.

5. The Mewtwo players I see in replays aren't good. (Which is to be expected.......but still....)

6. Still waiting for my codes....

7. Palutena feels the same........?

8. I made a weird connect hit with Dair...........similar to that random "pop" with Uair. The attack missed (because my opponent air dodged it)......but then a few frames later........it connected.....

9. Grab seems to be more easy to land than before.

10. Bye Super Speed Exploit (Jump > USmash ver)..........*sniff*

11. Hoo Hah finally got nerfed (but he is still good though)

12. The last Name Tag you used on the Wii U version, stays active when leaving Menus.

13. I can't find my 3DS copy of Smash Bros.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I'm not sure what's happening with mewtwo codes, I got mine earlier but I'm australian and the release period seems to be earlier because it was the 15th for us earlier than else where (it's almost the 16th now).

Haven't had the chance to try out mewtwo or palu with the new update cause I'm busy with assignments this week but I hope everyone will pick up on my slack!

Top Bottom