• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Tap Jump on is required to do the SS thing I might add, which was probably why I could never do it on the 3ds with Jump off.

I gotta stop being lazy so Palutena parties can happen sometime.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I spent so long unlearning tap jump in brawl and all these palutena AT's/glitches are all way easier with it on gahhhh.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
New user on this website o/

While i have played every other Smash game, I have never really played it in a competitive way and more in a... family fun way, I guess we can call it? It was like, only a year and a half ago I noticed that Melee had a competitive scene, and I watched streams and such because it was fun.

I'm a pretty 'meh' player I would say. I have no clue how these input things works and all these "fair, bair, dair, something-something-cancel, wave-dashing" words, I have no idea what they mean, except I just learned forward air, back air and such...

I have no idea what I can do as Palutena, and is currently exploring this down throw -> jump -> forward air move that seems to connect from time to time.

People have said that Palutena is not a character I should play if one is horrible at smash, because she's so easily ''punished'' if you don't wait for an opening.

But I can't help to love playing this character, she's really fun! But I sure want to learn more about her, and what stuff she can do.

There's so much to learn... about this character and Smash overall.

Sorry for a long post!

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23

While i have played every other Smash game, I have never really played it in a competitive way and more in a... family fun way, I guess we can call it? It was like, only a year and a half ago I noticed that Melee had a competitive scene, and I watched streams and such because it was fun.

I'm a pretty 'meh' player I would say. I have no clue how these input things works and all these "fair, bair, dair, something-something-cancel, wave-dashing" words, I have no idea what they mean, except I just learned forward air, back air and such...

I have no idea what I can do as Palutena, and is currently exploring this down throw -> jump -> forward air move that seems to connect from time to time.

People have said that Palutena is not a character I should play if one is horrible at smash, because she's so easily ''punished'' if you don't wait for an opening.

But I can't help to love playing this character, she's really fun! But I sure want to learn more about her, and what stuff she can do.

Sorry for a long post!

D-throw combo's (depending on the character) into up air and neutral air too, I might add.

Also, when you're camping the ledge, her up-smash is really good at punishing people who use the double jump to get back on stage.

And sometimes, try to mix it up by just warping to the other side of the stage out of nowhere.

That's all the advice I have for you on Palutena. I'm just learning too, so good luck!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Safe to say AeroLink tortured my poor Pit and Palutena again. He got used to my new tricks and experiments real fast. I'm still sad that Pit couldn't do anything for being so different. D:
With that in mind, where comes failed experiments with little data comes more success in the future with more data. That's the sign of Palutena Uprising. :4palutena:
I just hope some of my fails were recorded, and my miracle moment. *hides behind Counter*

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Despite her speed with customs on, Palutena is definitely a character you have to be slow with, so many times I get knocked out of super speed for a stupid reason like thinking I can just super armour through projectiles despite super speed not having any super armour whatsoever. Palutena is great at punishing approaches if you use the right move, Nair has mixed results for me, Down smash is a bit dangerous but does have the advantage of pushing back opponents (usually not negating the laggy ending of it however).

I tend to lose if I rush in with super speed or lightweight and playing slower and campier than I'd expect has worked out for Palutena, MU's with campy characters like Link, Toon Link or Duck Hunt Duo, a more aggressive strategy would work better though I can't check since I have no friends who play those characters at a good level. Palutena is pretty easy to punish if you aren't careful though, super speed into dash attack may block projectiles but my friends bait this out so Palutena is stuck and easily punished for it, here's hoping we find a glitch that let's you super speed backwards for maximum b-ari fun.

Last edited:

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427

Sorry for a long post!
Yay! A newbie like me ahaha. Welcome~

Do what I do and forget the nay sayers. I play Palutena because I really like her, and that's enough for me. You can always pick up someone else as your secondary, but I think it's much easier to play a character you actually enjoy.

Lurking the boards and watching videos will do you a lot of good. Aerolink's matches are really nice, so check em out in the "I see all" videos thread if you haven't already.

As for things that you can do on Palutena... Learn to jab, grab, and fair. They will be your best friends when playing Palutena.

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Has it been talked about the fact that Jump Cancelling Super Speed into Usmash Palutena actually slides into the Usmash? I'm not sure if the frames are still active by the time she's inside it but it seems like a safe option .

Outside of that I haven't found much use for Jump cancelling, the saved momentum usually gets used up immediately or I fly farther than expected and can't recover. Is there something I've missed on the use of this?

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Smash attacks are never a safe option. It can be used as a good anti air from mid screen though.

And nope, you didn't miss anything. I use it as a retreating option usually.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I've trained quite a lot with Palutena in both training mode and online. While I'm not in favour of input delay in online matches it's going quite well...

I've trained whole day now so when I took a little break to go to the grocery store I randomly heard the sound of her staff from time to time when she swings it.

I don't know why but I seem to have problem to connect a grab after a jab, can anyone enlighten me a little bit on how it works? Does the enemy have to be at a certain %, and does it only work on some characters?

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Jab into grab is not guaranteed mind you, not at any percents I don't think. But the timing for the opponents to escape to react is very small. That said, it's much easier at mid percents (greater than 30-40% I guess) since the hitstun for your jab 1 is more potent by then. I find it harder to connect with light characters like Jigglypuff since the jab can send her too far sometimes.

Are you using jab 1 and then dash grabbing?

Burigu

Smash Ace
Not that people really care about this but NOW I am not even able to play Smash 3ds if you by any chance read some of my post from a few weeks ago I mentioned that my battery died and that I couldn't play without the 3ds being charged at all time.

Well now the battery have swollen and that curved the back of my system, I could still play but a swollen battery isn't really safe so I took my system to reppair (not to an official Nintendo source since Nintendo doesn't offer support in my country) I am hopping that those guys are actually capable of finding a new battery and I can get my 3ds back as soon as possible.

I made the mistake to leave my 3ds plugged even when it wasn't necessary so that is costing me a big time. Learn from my mistake leave your 3ds plugged only if it needs charge otherwise your battery life could be screwed like mine.

Some might say it's time for me to buy a new one but sadly money issues are going to prevent me for doing that and the saves that I had for the WII U are going to be consumed by the repairs.

Sorry for going really off topic here, my advise learn for my mistake don't keep you system plugged when it doesn't need the charge anymore even if it´s off.

To bad for me for not being careful enough

Palutena is still the best :4palutena:

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Against the faster characters like Sheik and Diddy, you have to play a zone game. You don't want them rolling past you for free, so empty short hop spacing is key. SH fair is incredible because of its range, and occasionally dair can come in handy if they roll into you. Jab is okay, but you have to be careful as Diddy's d-tilt/Sheik's f-tilt can easily wreck you at close range.

Dash attack/dash grab is great because of Palutena's speed. You will be able to punish rolls with them if you have a good feel for your opponent's patterns. Sheik's/Diddy's spaced fair can be intercepted with upsmash and f-smash, but you have to react incredible well for this to work, so pay attention. You don't want to throw out a smash attack when their scheming to roll into you or approaching with shield.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
took Second at a weekly today!
would anyone be ok with taking a look at my matches
and give me some critique?
Palutena just feels so right guys
she's my main for sure

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hey everyone! Been gone for a while, but I'm back. So, what did I miss?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hey everyone! Been gone for a while, but I'm back. So, what did I miss?
Palutena duels between me and AeroLink sometimes, and I wish someone was there to observe and record the matches. I'm sad that some miracle moments were missed, including one on regular FD... Still, he pretty much destroyed me 95% of the time for learning so fast. *pouts* But we do need more Palutena vids, so yea...

And there's a Palutena Skype group apparently.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Palutena duels between me and AeroLink sometimes, and I wish someone was there to observe and record the matches. I'm sad that some miracle moments were missed, including one on regular FD... Still, he pretty much destroyed me 95% of the time for learning so fast. *pouts* But we do need more Palutena vids, so yea...

And there's a Palutena Skype group apparently.
Luckily, I have an HD capture card. So recording matches will no longer be an issues.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Luckily, I have an HD capture card. So recording matches will no longer be an issues.
We need an overflow of Palutena vids, and maybe one day I'll make a miracle highlight again. It's just when that's the question, and rules are optional.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
We need an overflow of Palutena vids, and maybe one day I'll make a miracle highlight again. It's just when that's the question, and rules are optional.
I guess sometime tomorrow would be find. Right now, I'm tired. xD

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Faced a really good Rosalina last night on For Glory. Was quite problematic. My inexperience vs Rosalina as a character really showed in that matchup I feel.

DTilt seems to just beat everything Palutena has. Auto Reticle isn't an option because of her Down B. Neutral Air seems to completely stuff Short Hop Fair entirely. It out ranges it and just keeps me out. Dashing in seemed suicidal as he'd just mash jab any time I got near him from the ground.

After several games I started to get the hang of how to deal with Luma but after that Rosalina just ran away from me the entire time, jumped off stage, and hung out really far from the ledge where I cannot safely chase/edge guard. And if I jumped off after her, she'd just rocket back to center stage. If I did nothing, she'd just grab the ledge. Is my only option here to just grab the ledge immediately after she does and just punish her for it?

I used to have no problem playing vs Rosa but I guess that's because I've never played a really good one. I'm honestly stumped on what to do.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sounds like you're getting stuffed by a lot of hitboxes. Have you tried using counter on her predictable attacks?

For approaching in general, perhaps try sticking with a primarily out of shield based offense, approaching with shield and dashing out of shield to grab if possible to get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Counter is great in theory, horrible in practice online.

The shield thing is something I've tried. If the opponent is just mashing jab with Luma/Rosalina I can't dash forward to grab without getting hit. If I hold shield/jump I will get stuffed. The only option is to roll, which gets me punished.

The player literally just mashed jab/dtilt at point blank and just did short hop/full hop Nair to keep me away. I literally died to myself because I had no real way to deal damage safely. I simply had to just trade the entire match and her ways of killing where way easier than mine.

I honestly felt ashamed that I lost to such a basic set of tactics. Every other character this player had was a cake walk... Rosalina felt like a brick wall though. It wasn't the person playing her, it was the character. I'm simply not experienced enough to know what to do ... and I'm trying to figure out things to try.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Maybe you could have tried baiting out the nairs.

This is all very strange to discuss because I feel like knowing what your opponent's tactics were in retrospect doesn't do justice to the experience of struggling against them firsthand for the first time.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Well if you missed the patch,

Palu buffs. Less lag on some tilts.
Also, usmash stays out slightly longer, but now you can put it up as an actual wall (though still short).
I was there, I meant after thanksgiving. I kinda was a little absent after that. But thanks though.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Today is one of those days I just feel "I should just give up" being met against people online who spam taunts and change their names to 'rekt' or something similar when they absolutely destroy me, and honestly, I'm not even that great of a player to begin with.

The slight input delay in online mode really punishes me and I can't seem to do well with it.

When I try to do a tilt attack I instead start to cast a smash, which punishes me greatly. When I try to do a short jump I instead do a high one.

I also feel I still play Palutena far too aggressively, and I still do the stupid newbie mistake by dash attacking with the shield before I even reach the target, because somehow I believe she will slide further than she actually does.

When I try to jab once and then go for a grab, I instead keep jabbing, because If I jab and try to grab, the grab button becomes the attack button instead and keeps the jab going, because I think ahead of the input delay all the time.

I still haven't learned where my character is facing from time to time, which makes me end up attacking in the wrong direction, and I still haven't learned how to turn your character without it ending up in a dash when I just want to turn around and jab.

But sometimes I managed to turn around but the attack ends up in a smash instead, which again, punishes me.

Sigh~

So much to learn.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If online frustrates you, then just play with friends. If your friends aren't around, just play against computers. The only way to master a character is to play them a lot.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
If online frustrates you, then just play with friends. If your friends aren't around, just play against computers. The only way to master a character is to play them a lot.
Yeah, I kept playing even if I lost. I managed to learn a little bit from it at least, like, I should jump and quick fall more than I currently do, and try to do even more fair attacks.

Sadly no one else but me plays Smash around here, so I can only play against the computers, but even those becomes pretty stale and predictable in the end. Better than nothing, I guess!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I wouldn't mind fighting, and forget those stupid For Glory players being mean and annoying. As suggested earlier, you needs some friends to hang out with and all.

If it makes you feel better, Palutena is a character that's hard to master compared to many others. She isn't one you can just pick up and play, but if you spend a lot of time learning and all, you'll get there. It can take weeks or longer, but just take your time. Some of us can help you if you want.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind fighting, and forget those stupid For Glory players being mean and annoying. As suggested earlier, you needs some friends to hang out with and all.

If it makes you feel better, Palutena is a character that's hard to master compared to many others. She isn't one you can just pick up and play, but if you spend a lot of time learning and all, you'll get there. It can take weeks or longer, but just take your time. Some of us can help you if you want.
Appreciate it, and that is exactly why I picked her. I played Ike a lot when I only had Smash on 3DS and it was easier because of slower, but stronger attacks. It felt a lot easier to land them and all.

I like this challenge with Palutena however, it feels like if I want to learn more about Smash overall, she's a character you can learn a lot from.

Was just one of those bad days and frustration needed to leave my body through a strongly annoyed forum post!

I think the newbie mistake I'm doing the most is dodge rolling. I do it far too much, and Palutena is a pretty fast character so I shouldn't really need to use it as much as I do. That's what I get from watching AeroLink's videos.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Appreciate it, and that is exactly why I picked her. I played Ike a lot when I only had Smash on 3DS and it was easier because of slower, but stronger attacks. It felt a lot easier to land them and all.

I like this challenge with Palutena however, it feels like if I want to learn more about Smash overall, she's a character you can learn a lot from.

Was just one of those bad days and frustration needed to leave my body through a strongly annoyed forum post!

I think the newbie mistake I'm doing the most is dodge rolling. I do it far too much, and Palutena is a pretty fast character so I shouldn't really need to use it as much as I do. That's what I get from watching AeroLink's videos.
Yea, rolling too much is kinda bad and irritating. All you need are vids of some Palutena players, and training with some of us, some pointers will be given and all, and you'll be there.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Instead of rolling, you can just dash directly out of your shield by letting go of L/R and inputting a dash. Very useful considering her ground speed.

I've found that another useful option is to short hop dair out of shield when your opponent is pressuring you but you aren't confident that you can just shield grab them.

Last edited:

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
I notice when Aerolink plays, he dashes out of shield repeatedly in quick succession. When I'm watching it looks really fast, but when I try to do it, it feels way slower. Is there a trick to it?

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Yea, rolling too much is kinda bad and irritating. All you need are vids of some Palutena players, and training with some of us, some pointers will be given and all, and you'll be there.
Yeah, I will keep watching videos and try to imitate what they are doing, and of course repeat that move many times until it feel confident with it.

I might train with any of you at some point! But at the moment it feels like I would waste people's time with my skill.

Instead of rolling, you can just dash directly out of your shield by letting go of L/R and inputting a dash. Very useful considering her ground speed.

I've found that another useful option is to short hop dair out of shield when your opponent is pressuring you but you aren't confident that you can just shield grab them.
I will try that. Is the range of dair wide or is it a sweet spot move?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It has a low hitbox but not very wide. You kind of have to be directly above them when the hitbox comes out, but then I find it's good to fade away as you land to make it safer.

Top Bottom