• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mii Swordfighter Social: Guide Hype

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So Ryu has infinities and move canceling craziness, Falco got a semi chaingrab, and Lucas can kill you off of one grab.

WE NEED TO INNOVATE THE SWORDFIGHTER!

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
and Lucas can kill you off of one grab.
This is a major non-issue. Lucas' grab itself is worse than Pacman's. Unless there's some guaranteed setup in the works, you damn well deserve to be KO'd if Lucas manages to grab you.

Like seriously, just roll behind him if you see him trying to grab, and you will have more than enough time to smack him. You don't have to predict a spot-dodge at all (although if you do spot dodge for some reason you'll probably get grabbed. So don't do that.)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This is a major non-issue. Lucas' grab itself is worse than Pacman's. Unless there's some guaranteed setup in the works, you damn well deserve to be KO'd if Lucas manages to grab you.

Like seriously, just roll behind him if you see him trying to grab, and you will have more than enough time to smack him. You don't have to predict a spot-dodge at all (although if you do spot dodge for some reason you'll probably get grabbed. So don't do that.)
Zair combos into down throw ya know, and Zair is pretty darn solid.

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
Zair combos into down throw ya know, and Zair is pretty darn solid.
Time to go play as Lucas. :D

Do any of you guys know if they fixed other issues with BKF's specials like the gap in Blurring Blade and the suicides-against-opponents-on-ledge property of Slash Launcher?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
With Ike's buffs, I'm probably going to use swordfighter less, but I'll still probably keep him in practice.

Bair change adds another combo option and Swordfighter can actually land reliably. That was his biggest weakness, so that's really good.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I should probably finish my gunner guide/FAQ thing... When I get bored.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I am very glad Side Special into death after landing is not a thing anymore.

Roy is hilarious because he feels like Swordfighter in several ways, which makes my Swordfighter previously being Roy even more hilarious to myself. But because of Roy, I gotta pick a new Mii to swordfight with, and I think I'm gonna go with Nikki.

I mean I've swapped her as my Gunner to Inkling so it's only fair she moves to swordfighter so ye.

Swordmaster

Smash Rookie
With the new squid hair i decided to play as something other than the fringe corrected Swordfighter mii with majoras mask on. No squidling outfit for us so i went for what i called "Squidlink". Went for female squidling though for a better eyebrow match.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
So... Turns out the mii fighters are getting amiibos as well

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Antonykun remember there is a like button or something. Oh wait... was this your plan to bring us back here. Well done. I almost forgot this place existed.

Last edited:

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
I tried out Lucas but now I'm just not very good as him. This is probably because I'm used to playing as BKF, a top tier character.

I just realized chakram has more than three angles. Is that new? There are two slightly different upwards angles, but the lower one (between forwards and highest) is very hard to do. I'm having a very hard time imputting this correctly so it would help if one of you could check it out.

Actually there are multiple angles I have never used before. Huh.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I've been picking Swordfighter up while on vacation with only my 3DS. He's pretty fun, plus he lets me imagine a universe where SaGa gets Smash representation.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Besides butter Knight, what names do you have for the miis

On the spot, I have

Mii "death by roflcopter" :4miibrawl:
Mii "kamina ain't got (bleep) on me" :4miisword:
And Mii "Samus and Villager's lovechild" :4miigun:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Pretty easy imo.

:4miibrawl: "The Street Fighter Reject".
:4miisword: "The Dark Souls Reject".
:4miigun: "The Metroid Reject".

That reminds me, Federation Force Mii Gunner outfit when?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Pretty easy imo.

:4miibrawl: "The Street Fighter Reject".
:4miisword: "The Dark Souls Reject".
:4miigun: "The Metroid Reject".

That reminds me, Federation Force Mii Gunner outfit when?
ah i see so you want a riot from the metroid fan base (i still need to buy me some costume)

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Code:
Mii Swordfighter
----------------
Unknown parameters set to 63 and 15 on many of his hitboxes
Jab1
    animation speed 1.25x for frames 0-5 (1 frame faster)
    hitboxes appear on frame 7 -> 6 (2 frames faster total)
    hitbox 2 split into 2
    all hitboxes
        angle 85/361/361 -> 85/50/45/45
        kbg 37 -> 20
        bkb 16 -> 32
    transition to jab2
        frame 10 -> 9
Jab2
    hitboxes 0 and 1 IDs swapped
    hitbox 1
        swapped angle 100 -> 96
    hitbox 2 split into 2
    transition to jab3
        frame 10 -> 9
Jab3
    hitboxes 0 and 1 IDs swapped
    hitbox 2 split into 2
Dash Attack
    all hitboxes
        size 3.0/2.2 -> 4.0/3.0
Ftilt
    hitbox 1 split into 2
Nair
    animation speed 1.18x for frames 0-10 (1 frame faster?)
    hitboxes appear on frame 12 -> 11 (2 frames faster total)
Fair
    hitbox 2 (initial and middle)
        size 2.4 -> 3.5
    hitbox 2 (final)
        size 3.2 -> 3.5
Bair
    all hitboxes
        damage 12 -> 14
Dair Landing
    hitbox
        x 9.0 -> 10.5
Slash Launcher
    windbox 0
        x 5.0 -> 6.0

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Preaching to the choir here, but I feel Swordfighter doesn't get the respect it deserves.

The only people that think Swordfighter is trash tier are, to my mind, people that haven't committed to playing them.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Preaching to the choir here, but I feel Swordfighter doesn't get the respect it deserves.

The only people that think Swordfighter is trash tier are, to my mind, people that haven't committed to playing them.
and have not seen or played against a good Shankfighter

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So everyone? :U
Exactly~ :3

Nah but for reals Swordfighter has a lot going for itself, it's just not as overtly useful as almost every other character. I have my doubts that Swordfighter is a bad character, it's just...well...less good than most others, I guess?

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Mii Sword's frame data is definitely looking serviceable now.

Nair: Coming out faster means we can use it on reaction. It also lets us autocancel it better. Now, it serves as an alternative of uair for juggling. It's a little slow for getting away, but it's manageable.
Fair: The range increase lets us challenge people horizontally in the air. It's laggy to start at 11 frames, but it has good IASA
Bair: It's pretty short, but now it deals 14% and acts as an alternative aerial kill move to uair
Dair: Still good. Spikes well and we can get the landing hitbox after like 4 frames.
Uair: Still good. Lasts long, 16%, great autocancel frames and IASA. It just comes out slightly slow (but not slow at all for its damage)

Jab: 7->5 frames is a huge buff. The new angle sends them away though, but that makes dtilt after jab1 or 2 safer to perform. Dtilt spacing had holes, and this fills them. Jab1 can be cancelled into shield as well as attacks very early.
Ftilt: Apparently, the hitbox is larger. This is great for a 10 frame attack.
Dtilt: Still good, combos into everything
Utilt: Still good. 8 frames, lots of disjoint, not much lag, and can combo into grab, dtilt, or itself at low %s and uair at high %s

Fsmash: has its uses. Very strong and long reach, but has Marth's fsmash's cooldown
Dsmash: Has very niche uses. It comes out very fast and hits at an excellent angle, but it's very short with Marth dsmash cooldown
Usmash: Surprisingly good and strong. Good as a punish. A little easy to miss.

Specials have become decent after work put in by mii sword users. Gale strike can combo into other moves and stops projectiles. Shuriken of light can annoy foes and it has some invincibility frames. Stone Scabbard has invincibility at 4 frames and can spike people. Hero's spin can be used OoS and has decent range. Slash launcher and airborne assault have some niche uses for punishment and recovery. Power thrust helps with recovery, counter is frame 4 on activation, and reversal slash can reflect projectiles.

There's a use for most attacks now. The specials aren't the best, but they do aid him in certain scenarios. The only things I would change with this character now are less startup on fair and less endlag for dsmash.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Mii Sword's frame data is definitely looking serviceable now.

Nair: Coming out faster means we can use it on reaction. It also lets us autocancel it better. Now, it serves as an alternative of uair for juggling. It's a little slow for getting away, but it's manageable.
Fair: The range increase lets us challenge people horizontally in the air. It's laggy to start at 11 frames, but it has good IASA
Bair: It's pretty short, but now it deals 14% and acts as an alternative aerial kill move to uair
Dair: Still good. Spikes well and we can get the landing hitbox after like 4 frames.
Uair: Still good. Lasts long, 16%, great autocancel frames and IASA. It just comes out slightly slow (but not slow at all for its damage)

Jab: 7->5 frames is a huge buff. The new angle sends them away though, but that makes dtilt after jab1 or 2 safer to perform. Dtilt spacing had holes, and this fills them. Jab1 can be cancelled into shield as well as attacks very early.
Ftilt: Apparently, the hitbox is larger. This is great for a 10 frame attack.
Dtilt: Still good, combos into everything
Utilt: Still good. 8 frames, lots of disjoint, not much lag, and can combo into grab, dtilt, or itself at low %s and uair at high %s

Fsmash: has its uses. Very strong and long reach, but has Marth's fsmash's cooldown
Dsmash: Has very niche uses. It comes out very fast and hits at an excellent angle, but it's very short with Marth dsmash cooldown
Usmash: Surprisingly good and strong. Good as a punish. A little easy to miss.

Specials have become decent after work put in by mii sword users. Gale strike can combo into other moves and stops projectiles. Shuriken of light can annoy foes and it has some invincibility frames. Stone Scabbard has invincibility at 4 frames and can spike people. Hero's spin can be used OoS and has decent range. Slash launcher and airborne assault have some niche uses for punishment and recovery. Power thrust helps with recovery, counter is frame 4 on activation, and reversal slash can reflect projectiles.

There's a use for most attacks now. The specials aren't the best, but they do aid him in certain scenarios. The only things I would change with this character now are less startup on fair and less endlag for dsmash.
i would like if that skid animation was made faster other than that Swordfighter is mighty fine now

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
The nice thing about the nair speed buff is it changes large miis from 'lol this dumb f**k.' to 'spinning god of death'.

Like seriously, try challenging a large Mii using nair. I dare you.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I really like what they have done with Swordfighter now. He's a lot better than when I mained him in the 3DS days.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Guys, I JUST realized that Mii Swordfighter is not only the best Mii in-terms of 1111, but he's actually not bad with it. :O

The trajectory angle on his Side B 1 is a lot better now so it's an actual viable recovery option, and Stone Scabbard, while admittedly not the best, still does quite the damage and is like a faster Ike's aether at the cost of a bit of range. Gale Strike is best neutral b and Blade Counter be a counter. Definitely not a bad moveset since he doesn't really rely on his special moves anyways

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Since I said I'd do it a few pages ago, here are my thoughts on each class.

I didn't think :4miisword: was "the worst in the game" until people were saying that, and even then I was skeptical of that. I think the things that hurt him early on was that "worst" title and :4miibrawl: being cited as a top/high tier character and the only one worth using (again, early on) , leaving him underused and unexplored. Being a mii didn't help either because of how they're handled. Now after a few buffs and Trela backing him/doing good in tournies, he's shaping up to be not as bad as what people thought and should get a little bit more credit than Trela being that good.

He's definitely shown to be the most workable in a non-customs environment as he's the least affected by them and still has most of his options available, but he has a few things stashed with customs that give him a few improvements.

All in all, he still has a little work to do for people to take him seriously more, but it can happen.

:4miibrawl: is regarded as the best of the mii fighters (going to sidetrack and say that sounds like a mii themed fighting game) in events that allow customs. Without them, he's probably one of the worst in the game. He got the bulk of the attention early on due to being seen as top/high tier and capable of going up against the likes of the top tiers. Puffster contributed a big amount to his success and popularity, placing well and known as the best :4miibrawl:.

I won't say overrated or janky or anything, but I could see his production drop (slightly) as people become more familiar with him, but he'll be fine.

I think :4miigun: is the "middle of the road" one out of the 3. Less affected by customs than :4miibrawl:, but more affected than:4miisword: (1111 :4miigun: is usable, you just need to find a balance between keepaway potshots and up-close attacking). With customs, gunner is probably the most versatile of the mii fighters (and the most copied moves) due to having multiple options for each special slot and a use for nearly everything that isn't laser blaze.

I think :4miigun: has mid/higher-mid potential, but the only thing that keeps me from saying that confidently is the lack of results/anyone notable doing anything who uses :4miigun:. That's not a huge concern to me, as it took a while for :4miisword: to win a tournament, I'm sure :4miigun: can do the same.

Alright, my thumb just cramped typing this. I need ice.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
As sad as I am to see that Zero has next to no chance to becoming an actual Smash character, one thing I CAN say the Mii Fighter costume has done has made me realize how good and fun Mii Swordfighter is. I'd definitely would love some matches with customs off with some individuals, as I'm going to be using 1111 anyways so. :p

Still really wished Zero was in Smash, though.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of making this place more lively maybe placing a link of this thread in my sig or something.

As sad as I am to see that Zero has next to no chance to becoming an actual Smash character, one thing I CAN say the Mii Fighter costume has done has made me realize how good and fun Mii Swordfighter is. I'd definitely would love some matches with customs off with some individuals, as I'm going to be using 1111 anyways so. :p

Still really wished Zero was in Smash, though.
Your post made me realize Swordfighter actually has a Zero costume in the latest patch. I must admit his costumes are the best out of the three mii fighters.
So Ryu has infinities and move canceling craziness, Falco got a semi chaingrab, and Lucas can kill you off of one grab.

WE NEED TO INNOVATE THE SWORDFIGHTER!
Haha.

I'd gladly lab with Swordfighter if I had the game with me. I use to discover all sorts of little ''quirks''. I don't use the term tech because they're not that game changing but you'll be surprised that a lot of character have a ton of those things when dealing with a specific MU. But those labbing days are behind me now...
So... Turns out the mii fighters are getting amiibos as well
WHAT !?

Well... that's news to me. I can imagine them being sold out in NA as soon as the pre orders are available.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Since I said I'd do it a few pages ago, here are my thoughts on each class.

I didn't think :4miisword: was "the worst in the game" until people were saying that, and even then I was skeptical of that. I think the things that hurt him early on was that "worst" title and :4miibrawl: being cited as a top/high tier character and the only one worth using (again, early on) , leaving him underused and unexplored. Being a mii didn't help either because of how they're handled. Now after a few buffs and Trela backing him/doing good in tournies, he's shaping up to be not as bad as what people thought and should get a little bit more credit than Trela being that good.

He's definitely shown to be the most workable in a non-customs environment as he's the least affected by them and still has most of his options available, but he has a few things stashed with customs that give him a few improvements.

All in all, he still has a little work to do for people to take him seriously more, but it can happen.

:4miibrawl: is regarded as the best of the mii fighters (going to sidetrack and say that sounds like a mii themed fighting game) in events that allow customs. Without them, he's probably one of the worst in the game. He got the bulk of the attention early on due to being seen as top/high tier and capable of going up against the likes of the top tiers. Puffster contributed a big amount to his success and popularity, placing well and known as the best :4miibrawl:.

I won't say overrated or janky or anything, but I could see his production drop (slightly) as people become more familiar with him, but he'll be fine.

I think :4miigun: is the "middle of the road" one out of the 3. Less affected by customs than :4miibrawl:, but more affected than:4miisword: (1111 :4miigun: is usable, you just need to find a balance between keepaway potshots and up-close attacking). With customs, gunner is probably the most versatile of the mii fighters (and the most copied moves) due to having multiple options for each special slot and a use for nearly everything that isn't laser blaze.

I think :4miigun: has mid/higher-mid potential, but the only thing that keeps me from saying that confidently is the lack of results/anyone notable doing anything who uses :4miigun:. That's not a huge concern to me, as it took a while for :4miisword: to win a tournament, I'm sure :4miigun: can do the same.

Alright, my thumb just cramped typing this. I need ice.
I totally agree, especially as a player of both Swordfighter and Gunner this a pretty perfect explanation of how both of these Fighters work with and without customs.

While I don't really use Brawler all that much, Brawler is commonly highly regarded for Helicopter Kick and Feint Jump, without those you have a character that needs to play incredibly differently; And that isn't considering height and weight, the few venues I've gone to don't allow 1111 Miis without base height and weight. So that changes Brawler even more.

When forced to be balanced in a 1111 w/ base height and weight I do think that Swordfighter outshines the other two as well.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I don't believe any character in this game to be terribly bad. Certainly one of the most balanced ''official'' Smash games and the best part about it is that I'll continue to be patched.

Personally I can't wait for the release of new characters in this game. Though, one drawback that I can see is how they are going to top this game character wise. I mean we have Megaman, Pacman, Sonic and Ryu in this game.

Edit: I'm still confused as to why this thread isn't stickied. It's definitely the most active thread here. I'll go ask a GM or something.

Edit 2: Yes, It worked. Thanks Spirst.

Last edited:

MisterFinch

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5386-8310-0703
I don't believe any character in this game to be terribly bad. Certainly one of the most balanced ''official'' Smash games and the best part about it is that I'll continue to be patched.

Personally I can't wait for the release of new characters in this game. Though, one drawback that I can see is how they are going to top this game character wise. I mean we have Megaman, Pacman, Sonic and Ryu in this game.

Edit: I'm still confused as to why this thread isn't stickied. It's definitely the most active thread here. I'll go ask a GM or something.

Edit 2: Yes, It worked. Thanks Spirst.
What do you mean by topping this game? As far as I can tell, the DLC characters may just keep coming with the Polls. There may be more than one poll for player-choice characters.

And yeah, this game is definitely the most balanced (Minus Ryu, Roy and Lucas who may need patches in the future... especially Roy). With how often the patches keep coming, Swordfighter may soon enough become a fantastic character to use... not that he isn't. I love Mii's style so much that I plan on buying the Swordfighter Amiibo

Top Bottom