• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid: Other M

Crystanium

Smash Hero
To help put your minds at ease, Yoshio Sakamoto will be involved in this, just like he was involved in every Metroid game, except for Metroid 2: The Return of Samus.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
While epic, it is no mother brain.

It is also missing half it's abdomen.
It's Mother Brain. Metroid: Other M will be between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. During the trailer, Mother Brain fires a beam through a Metroid, which is above Samus. Samus drops to the ground, says, "Time to go," and then fires what would be the Hyper Beam, according to the way Super Metroid was played. Here's a picture I have, though I like the one I just saw.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
1. Short hair?

2. Speed boost in 3D Metroid.

3. No, I don't remember you.

4. Any objections, lady?

Wait... the story is between Super and Fusion, and yet Malkovich is still her CO? Shouldn't Samus have been a lone operative for several years now? Nintendo, how do you manage a plothole that huge. Those things better be flashbacks.

I believe he is called Armstrong Houston, possibly?

(The black guy)
Dear God, I hope not. Although Armstrong Houston is technically a white guy with a stupendous beard.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Wait... the story is between Super and Fusion, and yet Malkovich is still her CO? Shouldn't Samus have been a lone operative for several years now? Nintendo, how do you manage a plothole that huge. Those things better be flashbacks.
I'm sure that was a flashback. Malkovich supposedly died, and Samus left the Federation to become the galaxy's number 1 bounty hunter.

Also the baby Metroid from Super Metroid makes a Cameo.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
1. Short hair?

2. Speed boost in 3D Metroid.

3. No, I don't remember you.

4. Any objections, lady?

Dear God, I hope not. Although Armstrong Houston is technically a white guy with a stupendous beard.
He's likely not Armstrong Houston, according to the 1up interview with Yoshio Sakamoto. The idea came about at Metroid Database, because Armstrong Houston had a suit like Samus', and it was blue, and because he said, "Remember me?" It was doubtful that it was him, though, since there was another GF soldier behind him. He's just one of Adam Malkovich's men.

Deception

Smash Ace
I'm not convinced Adam is dead yet at this point in time. It's never stated when he died, only that he died sacrificing himself for Samus sometime before Fusion. We haven't see Samus speak about her personal life in a game that much, or really at all. With Metroid's underdeveloped story, they could fit a lot of old characters in this game and make it still fit.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Anyone else thinks this looks... unamazing?

I'd almost say Corruption, hell BRAWL Samus, looks better than this - the screenshots remind me of Melee. :/

Then again, it's probably too early to judge anyway.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think they only showed clips from the first couple of hours. I don't get the feeling that Varia Suit stays long. I imagine it grows like MP1 suit.

I realllyyyy want to get to play as ZSS, but I don't see it working well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
This looks very promising yet I'm somewhat skeptical as well, hopefully it turns out amazing, it makes me want to replay the series anyway :D good for some change anyway with the end of the prime trilogy, prime was amazing but after that I thought it started to drift away too much and some of corruption was just nonsense...

Deception

Smash Ace

I'd almost say Corruption, hell BRAWL Samus, looks better than this - the screenshots remind me of Melee. :/

For a first look, I think it looks amazing. The visuals are pretty good considering this won't be finished for awhile.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah, and some of the screenshots look really good(MOTHER BRAIN). Some things like Samus' suit look a little undetailed but idk if I'd object to that so much anyway

and flipping a monster to the ground and unloading a charge shot in its head looks too good

etecoon

Smash Hero
do you really have to crush my hope like that? ok it's obvious but it is good eye candy anyway <_<

I think the move to third person could be good, could regain some more of the platformer element that the 2D games had

also maybe this will deal more with metroids where as they were kind of an afterthought in echoes and corruption, at least one metroid is shown clearly in the trailer and it appears that the creature in the lava may be one too

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
SO. MUCH. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!

Can't wait to see the game in later production stages though. The cutscenes look gorgeous but the gameplay footage looked rather bleh. Retro Studios was always top of the top when it came to detail and Im hoping Team Ninja will at least TRY and keep that level of quality up. Also Im hoping that add giant gravity defying boobies.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I realllyyyy want to get to play as ZSS, but I don't see it working well.
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say

No.

ZSS in Zero Mission was incredibly un-Metroid-like, it wasn't bad but it's only because it only lasted for a half an hour.
Zamus (or Justin Bailey Samus, but we won't ever see her again) should only appear as an ending bonus. Or via some code, like in the original.

also maybe this will deal more with metroids where as they were kind of an afterthought in echoes and corruption, at least one metroid is shown clearly in the trailer and it appears that the creature in the lava may be one too
Um, Metroid? Where?

And, I don't think the one on the lava is a Metroid at all...it's very snakelike, and none of the Metroids are.

Metroids.

That reminds me of a Blogg, though.
But lava rather than water.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Zero Mission?

I've only really played the Prime trilogy. I seem to have only heard bad things about the other game, barring the SNES metroid. Well, maybe they'll learn from their mistakes. I don't want to play ZSS for the entire game, but maybe just one or two levels and a boss fight is all.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
All handheld metroids are brilliant. If you can ever see them, snap em up.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Zero Mission?

I've only really played the Prime trilogy. I seem to have only heard bad things about the other game, barring the SNES metroid. Well, maybe they'll learn from their mistakes. I don't want to play ZSS for the entire game, but maybe just one or two levels and a boss fight is all.
Irony: That's exactly how long you play ZSS in Zero Mission.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm not convinced Adam is dead yet at this point in time. It's never stated when he died, only that he died sacrificing himself for Samus sometime before Fusion. We haven't see Samus speak about her personal life in a game that much, or really at all. With Metroid's underdeveloped story, they could fit a lot of old characters in this game and make it still fit.
Well fans, including myself, understood Adam's death as prior to Metroid: Zero Mission. After that, Samus isolated herself from the Galactic Federation and did her own stuff. That's how it was understood by the way Samus spoke of Adam.

I don't see anything wrong with the way it's designed right now. Not one polygon on Samus. Wow.

And people, please, just call Samus, Samus, whether she's in her armor or outside of it. This isn't Brawl we're talking about. We don't call Samus in the armor, "Power Suit Samus," any more than we call Link in The Wind Waker, "Toon Link." :mad:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think when he says Brawl Samus and Corruption Samus he's referring to the small differences in the armor in each game, they tend to change shoulder pads, visor shapes, etc. with each game so even though it's still Samus in her Power suit each one is different.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think that graphically this game looks like garbage? Omg I know the wii can't do much but still I would expect that it would look as good as Metroid Prime atleast.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think when he says Brawl Samus and Corruption Samus he's referring to the small differences in the armor in each game, they tend to change shoulder pads, visor shapes, etc. with each game so even though it's still Samus in her Power suit each one is different.
I actually think this portrait of Samus as far as design goes really captures the old Metroid look. The pauldrons lack those two crests, and the visor isn't dramatically altered to look "sharp" or "cool." It's quite generic. It's something I like so far and would like to see in the future.

Does anyone else think that graphically this game looks like garbage? Omg I know the wii can't do much but still I would expect that it would look as good as Metroid Prime atleast.
No. I like how the graphics look right now. Graphics do not make the game. Metroid Prime didn't have to worry about how Samus looked graphically, because they'd only show Samus in the cut-scenes or when she transitioned from first-person to third-person. How about you go and play Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and play multi-player mode and have two Samus' look at each other. Then tell me what you think of those graphics.

Just ignore me, though. You don't read '08 posts.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Zero Mission?

Yes...Zero Mission is a remake of the original, and it's quite good. It's easy, but it's still a lot of fun.

I have no clue how you've only heard bad things about the other Metroid games besides Super Metroid...I can possibly imagine the original, since it's quite difficult, and some useful mechanics invented later on aren't there, but it's good if you can get over that. Metroid II is good too. Fusion may be plot-centric, it may be relatively linear, but there's still exploration, and it's great for speed running. Hunters is crappy in my opinion, it's not really much of a Metroid game. But overall, the Metroid series is quite good...the people you're talking to are likely crazy. >.>

Well fans, including myself, understood Adam's death as prior to Metroid: Zero Mission. After that, Samus isolated herself from the Galactic Federation and did her own stuff. That's how it was understood by the way Samus spoke of Adam.
I agree. Also, by how Samus looks, she definitely seems to be much younger. Super Metroid and Fusion are AFTER the Prime series, and we know how old she looks there.

I think the next person to ***** about the graphics needs to be kicked out of this thread. Especially when they pose the question like this.

YES. At least 10 other people have complained in almost exactly the same way you have about the graphics. You are not unique.

People are focusing way too much on the graphics here. For one, as Dryn pointed out, there are no polygons (and I personally think the graphics look pretty good). Second, this is the FIRST we are seeing of this game. It's likely going to improve.

Third. If the graphics don't improve, and you don't buy the game because of it, you're an idiot.

(P.S., '08 is over, the stereotyping of '08ers ending would be nice, too.)

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I was begging for another Metroid game after not having one last year, I can't wait to see more detail about this game further down the months. Metroid is one of my most favroite series. ♥

Grunt

Smash Master
It's just the WW of Metroid.
Not bad graphics, just a different look.
Also, Colors! Been playing too much 360, lol.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Gameplay graphics are still developing, but the cutscenes are the best on the Wii, even easily comparable to high end 360 games.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think the graphics are okay. Everything looks really simple and clean, as opposed to having lots of effects and details that aren't done well like you see in other games [Gladiator AD for example].

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Also, much like Wind Waker had far better effects than most Zelda games due to its simplified graphics, this will possibly have better effects as well. Remember, even in 3D, we need to know if we're in those really hot or really cold rooms.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
lol the 08 posts things is a joke but you two only prove that all stereotypes hold some truth. Anyways....

No. I like how the graphics look right now. Graphics do not make the game. Metroid Prime didn't have to worry about how Samus looked graphically, because they'd only show Samus in the cut-scenes or when she transitioned from first-person to third-person. How about you go and play Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and play multi-player mode and have two Samus' look at each other. Then tell me what you think of those graphics.

Just ignore me, though. You don't read '08 posts.
Yes I know graphics don't make a game. I play melee still and think Brawl is one of the worst fighting games ever conceived and it doesn't take a genius to realize that Brawl is gorgeous compared to melee. Anywho...

There is no reason to get all defensive about this issue. As for the character models I understand that prime never had to deal with that sort of issues but the environment were lush and extremely nice to look at which greatly helped with the immersion. I looked at the trailer for this and gave nothing but an "eh..." when I saw the environments. They looked boring and stale compared to Prime (notice I don't say Prime 2 or 3) and this is supposed to be a sequel which is supposed to improve upon itself?

I think the next person to ***** about the graphics needs to be kicked out of this thread. Especially when they pose the question like this.

YES. At least 10 other people have complained in almost exactly the same way you have about the graphics. You are not unique.

People are focusing way too much on the graphics here. For one, as Dryn pointed out, there are no polygons (and I personally think the graphics look pretty good). Second, this is the FIRST we are seeing of this game. It's likely going to improve.

Third. If the graphics don't improve, and you don't buy the game because of it, you're an idiot.

(P.S., '08 is over, the stereotyping of '08ers ending would be nice, too.)
I'm sorry that I am oppressing you 08 posters... oh wait I'm not. Get over yourself and learn what a joke is.

I never claimed to be unique or cool because I am complaining about the graphics it's just as time progress I expect my games to do the same. You know make progress?

Since many of you seem to already be deepthroating this game I must interrupt this and point out how Nintendo has pretty much taken the EA route of producing games and instead simply reproduce the same game but with a different number at the end of the title.

Let us look at the Metroid series for example. Metroid Prime was a breath of fresh air but what came after that? Echo's and Corruption? Basically Metroid Prime repacked and resold but with slightly updated graphics and more bs wii controls. I won't even get started on the Zelda franchise and the Mario franchise. (LOL when I saw the trailer for Galaxy 2 I could of sworn they were playing Galaxy 1) It's the same game every time and people eat that **** up for some reason.

I don't mean to sound cynical or anything but really how can I not be when Nintendo just constantly pumps out the same thing?

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Personally, I hope the game doesn't rely TOO much on hand-to-hand combat. By all means, it's a fine addition I'm excited about, but I'm the kind of Metroid player where I like to unleash havoc with explosives.

Please... don't nerf the legendary arm cannon too much.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I don't mean to sound cynical or anything but really how can I not be when Nintendo just constantly pumps out the same thing?
You could man up and take it.

Or be nostalgic and live in the past thinking about how great the games were while missing great ones that are released today.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
lol the 08 posts things is a joke but you two only prove that all stereotypes hold some truth. Anyways....
And what stereotype would that be?

Yes I know graphics don't make a game. I play melee still and think Brawl is one of the worst fighting games ever conceived and it doesn't take a genius to realize that Brawl is gorgeous compared to melee. Anywho...
Then stop complaining about the graphics.

There is no reason to get all defensive about this issue. As for the character models I understand that prime never had to deal with that sort of issues but the environment were lush and extremely nice to look at which greatly helped with the immersion.
Please feel free to look at the link below. That was then when Metroid Prime wasn't released, but was only being shown. What I see in this game is "lush and extremely nice to look at." When, for example, Samus kicks that creature into the air when she's outside, the surroundings look very beautiful.

I looked at the trailer for this and gave nothing but an "eh..." when I saw the environments. They looked boring and stale compared to Prime (notice I don't say Prime 2 or 3) and this is supposed to be a sequel which is supposed to improve upon itself?
And still, you complain about the graphics, even though you acknowledge that the graphics do not make the game. Whether you mention Prime, Prime 2 or 3, I really don't care. You're already judging the game off of a two minute trailer. The game is going to be released in 2010. There's a Metroid Prime trailer you can find on YouTube that shows what Samus' Arm Cannon was originally going to look like. It was shown in 2001. Metroid Prime was released in 2002. Feel free to check the images in the link.

Metroid Prime [GC - Beta]

Please, do look at the environment, as well as Samus herself. My attitude on that right now, just looking back is what you're saying: "Eh..."

Top Bottom