• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight gets a small cameo and a few nods, but nothing substantial. Still, the fact is that it's a Kirby game, and Meta Knight is an iconic character for the series alongside Kirby and King Dedede. If there's any problem, it will be that the game has already been advertised.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You guys really think sakurai will promote a game twice

Although its one of his own

But the big question is was meta knight in triple deluxe
It's not really his game though, the last kirby game Sakurai made was Kirby Air Ride. Hal Laboratories are now the ones in charge of making them.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
How badly hurt could Meta Knight be with the changes to consecutive attacks and (possibly) gliding?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Laugh if you will, but I think Meta Knight will be revealed this Friday to kick off the American release of Kirby Triple Deluxe, a game that Sakurai made, mind you!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Laugh if you will, but I think Meta Knight will be revealed this Friday to kick off the American release of Kirby Triple Deluxe, a game that Sakurai made, mind you!
Uh, I also think it's likely that he will be confirmed this friday but Triple Deluxe is not a Sakurai game >.<

He stopped making those after Kirby Air Ride.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
What if maskless Meta Knight is a selectable costume in the future?

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Keep your expectations low, fellas. We may or may not be getting our favorite sword-wielding masked blueberry tonight.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight is great, I was psyched when he was in brawl, but he is cheap. Fix his recovery. Make him Falco's speed, and slow that sword down.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean "lately"? He's an old character from the Amazing Mirror. :/

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, since we've got a lot of info in the smash direct I guess we are not getting anything more concrete until E3.
Meta Knight's time will have to come another day.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Alright I just want to get this out of the way, people don't seem to understand that learning from mistakes is possible, what I mean is that I'm seeing people who don't want Meta Knight in the game simply because he was broken in Brawl.

Now I understand the reasons why Meta Knight was broken in Brawl and I accept them but this is a new game we're talking about where characters are getting changed, Meta Knight CAN be balanced, just look at how he is in Project M, his power is nerfed but he can still deal a lot of damage fast but the only reason he can do that in Project M is the same reason as everyone else in that game, combos, in fact Meta Knight is one of the characters in Project M that has to depend on combos to get good damage.

Meta Knight can have similar changes in Smash 4, a character who has to work for his kills by dealing damage first, no more unreasonable knockback potential, I'm not saying to nerf him to where he has the same problem Sonic had in Brawl but ya know, the point of a quick character in a fighting game is being able to deal fast damage, they shouldn't be able to hit as hard as the heavier characters they just gotta work for their damage via combos and if given the chance use one of their stronger attacks to deal the finishing blow. And of course there's no way Sakurai is letting Meta Knight keep his teliport glitch.

Olimar was nerfed to having only 3 Pikmin instead of 6, if Sakurai learned from the Olimar's mistakes he'll learn from Meta Knight's and he should BY ALL MEANS learn from Meta Knight's since he's Sakurai's favorite creation, in fact Sakurai already showed a sign of that just a few months back, remember he confirmed that all infinite attacks will now have enders, Meta Knight had an infinite in Brawl, there ya go one nerf has already been confirmed and we haven't seen Meta Knight yet brilliant I know.

Rant done.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Alright I just want to get this out of the way, people don't seem to understand that learning from mistakes is possible, what I mean is that I'm seeing people who don't want Meta Knight in the game simply because he was broken in Brawl.

Now I understand the reasons why Meta Knight was broken in Brawl and I accept them but this is a new game we're talking about where characters are getting changed, Meta Knight CAN be balanced, just look at how he is in Project M, his power is nerfed but he can still deal a lot of damage fast but the only reason he can do that in Project M is the same reason as everyone else in that game, combos, in fact Meta Knight is one of the characters in Project M that has to depend on combos to get good damage.

Meta Knight can have similar changes in Smash 4, a character who has to work for his kills by dealing damage first, no more unreasonable knockback potential, I'm not saying to nerf him to where he has the same problem Sonic had in Brawl but ya know, the point of a quick character in a fighting game is being able to deal fast damage, they shouldn't be able to hit as hard as the heavier characters they just gotta work for their damage via combos and if given the chance use one of their stronger attacks to deal the finishing blow. And of course there's no way Sakurai is letting Meta Knight keep his teliport glitch.

Olimar was nerfed to having only 3 Pikmin instead of 6, if Sakurai learned from the Olimar's mistakes he'll learn from Meta Knight's and he should BY ALL MEANS learn from Meta Knight's since he's Sakurai's favorite creation, in fact Sakurai already showed a sign of that just a few months back, remember he confirmed that all infinite attacks will now have enders, Meta Knight had an infinite in Brawl, there ya go one nerf has already been confirmed and we haven't seen Meta Knight yet brilliant I know.

Rant done.
I'm actually surprised that a lot of people don't find this way of thinking the most obvious. Same goes for the guys who want the IC out because they don't want to be chaingrabbed.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Remember though, Triple Deluxe comes out in Europe on May 16th. So there's still a chance he could be revealed then.

(Not that I'd bring your hopes up, just saying.)

Gamer YTP

Smash Rookie
NNID
GTP376Number2
I do agree that Meta Knight is in need of some power reduction. I think the best way of doing this is by making some specific moves have no flinch so he'll be more balanced. (B nuetral, A combo, Fair, Bair, basically the lighter attacks.) I kinda also see him being quite vulnerable to Little Mac's attacks. So he'll be less OP, but still usable.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I'm betting since it seems the glide mechanic is gone that MK's upB is changed. They will probably also remove the dimensional cape glitch, but I don't see them changing his other specials much to be honest. His standard A is sure to have a "finishing blow" now though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's pretty rude. How about you actually tell me what makes my post so obvious?
Sorry it was the only well duh i can find i figured that one was too rude

Anyway meta knight was over powered and accually got banned from wi-fi and plus almost every veteran got changes especially moves so obviously he will get nerfed and replace some moves

Last edited:

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Sorry it was the only well duh i can find i figured that one was too rude

Anyway meta knight was over powered and accually got banned from wi-fi and plus almost every veteran got changes especially moves so obviously he will get nerfed and replace some moves
It's okay. What I meant was that he would get lots of changes to his moveset like Bowser and Pit have, as opposed to receiving little to no changes like characters such as Mario and Marth. I guess I should have specified that I was referring to his moves.

Also, I think it was just tournaments that Meta Knight was banned at. I don't think banning him over wi-fi would even be feasible.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here are my thoughts on how to nerf Meta Knight.

Since infinite jabs have been taken out in favor of finishing moves, this already represents a downgrade. No longer can Meta Knight trap people in his death jab.

Meta Knight's recovery options are the best in the game, no doubt. I feel that for Meta Knight's jumps, his wings should flap faster but the jumps should be very short. If you''be ever played Meta Knightmare Ultra, MK's wing flaps are annoyingly short. Give him like 6 short wing flaps and that should give him around 3.5 jumps in reality.

Mach Tornado just needs to stay in place. There's really not much to it, just make it a little shorter and get rid of the recovery aspect. It can still deflect projectiles and pull people in, so it's a great move anyway.

As for Drill Rush, it too doesn't need much changing. Maybe give it less spacing I suppose.

Shuttle Loop will likely be removed along with the gliding mechanic (which will already be a substantial nerf). Maybe replacing it with a recovery reminiscent of Pit's would be a good decision.

Not too sure what to do with Dimensional Cape, I've never really had any major problems with it.

And this may be a bit controversial, but I want to see a heavier Meta Knight. I would imagine all of that armor weighs him down a bit. As a result, all of his recovery options are nerfed heavily.

And overall, less knockback. Make him a hit and run character rather than a full on powerhouse.

Lastly, keep Meta Knight fast. Otherwise it wouldn't be true to character.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Never heard of MK's jab being a death trap.

His aerial jumps are already pretty short. His Sword swings maybe make them look bigger.

Now, all of his specials look difficult to keep and balance.
It can be done but would require quite a work.

MK is light but he actually falls pretty fast. He's easy to combo at low % by a lot of characters

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
I reckon for the new game they should increase Metaknight's wingspan and give it a more prominent role in his moveset. As well as change up a number of his specials to be more like his boss appearances. I explain a lot of it, in this video of mine for anyone that's interested...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Y'know, I really liked that video. Those were some very interesting suggestions. Most people just talk about nerfing Meta Knight, but you brought some ideas for making him a better character in general. Well done.

Arc Tangent

Smash Apprentice
I think if they make his attacks less powerful and limit his flight like they did with Pit it'll balance Meta Knight out pretty well.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I feel like every character in the game is getting buffed, so if Meta Knight is kept exactly the same, it might actually make him more balanced in relation to the rest of the cast.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or was Meta Knight being too overpowered led to him not being played often? I'd say he's probably one of the least-played characters from Brawl.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Is it just me, or was Meta Knight being too overpowered led to him not being played often? I'd say he's probably one of the least-played characters from Brawl.
Dunno about actual statistics, but there is definitely a stigma tied to the character. Such a shame. Meta Knight is an amazing character with a great set of moves and a lot of personality.

Personally, I'm excited to see him come back. Just because he's strong doesn't mean I can't like him. All the other vets look to have gotten better, so it should be a slightly more fair fight, now. I think they could do better for his Final Smash though, really.

I think the stigma combined with the Halberd stage reveal (all but assuring his return, as if it was ever in doubt to begin with) has lead to little interest in him so far. I think once he's revealed (I predict E3), people will remember how much they like this character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom