• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Vel

Smash Apprentice
It seems like the first 2 seconds of tornado has more priority than the rest, but I am probably wrong and it probabbly just the area I hit it with.
I thought Tornado gained priority the longer it went on, and the further it was from the ground

Also - tornado is most vulnerable not just on the lag if you end in the air, but it's startup can be interrupted by almost any attack

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
How do I come about playing MK defensively? I'm kind of an aggressive player, and I just can't see how MK can be very defensive outside of planking.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
MK's fast - most characters aren't; so hang back and out of their range until you see and opening, then move in.

Spot dodge/shield helps, and abusing MK's range is the main way I think.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Metaknight is a punisher. Use his fair, ftilt, dtilt, and even dair to punished peoples approaches and messed up approaches. Baiting their approach is good too.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Whenever i dash grab, i sometimes miss and end up behind them or just short of them, i guess im not used to MKs crazy grab range or whatever. how can i improve and make this go away? run and shield grab instead?

this happens sometimes with dash attack too

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Whenever i dash grab, i sometimes miss and end up behind them or just short of them, i guess im not used to MKs crazy grab range or whatever. how can i improve and make this go away? run and shield grab instead?

this happens sometimes with dash attack too
You practice it.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
What is other good methods of playing defensive, besides D-air+jump+ Tornado.?

I also noticed my MK wins more often if I spam tornado and shuttle loop more often. Its like the more I use those moves the more times I win.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
How much does everyone use u-smash and f-smash? I keep getting griefed by other players for not using them much, since I mostly use d-air, d-smash, tilts and my aerials

If I can use u-smash, I usually prefer shuttle loop or tornado -_-

Overswarm

is laughing at you
U-smash is good for hitting people out of air dodges. People normally air dodge right before hitting the ground, so you can u-smash and it will often hit them out of the air dodge.

Other than that, useless.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
U-smash is good for hitting people out of air dodges. People normally air dodge right before hitting the ground, so you can u-smash and it will often hit them out of the air dodge.

I appreciate it - wasn't sure if I was missing something or the other players were just talking out of their ***

Nic64

Smash Lord
I've been experimenting with more usmash lately and I think hyphen smashing is actually decent against characters that stay in the air a lot, granted most of them you can beat out with your own aerials but it's another option and as OS said, it's difficult to air dodge it.

fsmash is good against some characters if spaced moderately far away because it has little cool down and pretty good range, difficult for most characters to punish, be careful using it against anyone with more range though since it does leave you open to them.

both attacks are iffy in their general use but may be useful in certain matchups, like fsmash is a pretty good defensive attack against game and watch because in addition to its horizontal range it hits pretty high too and can beat the turtle approach. I think aside from using dimensional cape as an attack(seriously, never do it) you can learn a lot just from trying different things on different characters...lots of stuff that isn't useful in general but might be exactly what you need against one character

Popertop

Smash Champion

you can use it in a meta ditto if they try to Dair camp you too low.

and it has a couple situational uses.

Fsmash is really good for spacing.

you can charge Fsmash, and then Ftilt when they run in to punish it.

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
F-smash is amazing. It is almost impossible to punish due to very minimal cool-down

Up-smash is pretty bad since an opponent can SDI down and is GUARANTEED a free hit. However, most people don't know about that.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Dojo- good stuff at Whobo!
Congrats on second. i'm surprised you guys all did so well vs jason. he ***** all the mks here even if they are great. you must have a different play style. i'm sure you're the second best mk though.

Popertop

Smash Champion
without a doubt.

I played all the top metas there, and M2K and Dojo ***** me the most lol.

I gotta say, Dojo has the gift.
I could keep up pretty well with a few though.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Question, which is better at momentum cancelling, fast fall uairs or 2 uairs and a dair? I don't know what the difference is :/

Congrats Dojo on 2nd btw.

CallerID3

Smash Rookie
I main Lucas and I'm curious. Is Meta Knight a good secondary choice to deal with Lucas's bad match ups (Marth, Meta Knight... lol, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Game and Watch)? I know Meta Knight is definitely up there.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Metaknight has no disadvantage on paper for any match up, though for all of my characters I think snake is a harder match up than metaknight. If you main lucas, specialize in him... there really is no point to secondary the best character in the game if you main a low tier character. This is my opinion, do as you please :)

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Metaknight has no disadvantage on paper for any match up, though for all of my characters I think snake is a harder match up than metaknight. If you main lucas, specialize in him... there really is no point to secondary the best character in the game if you main a low tier character. This is my opinion, do as you please :)
i agree. if your mk gets good you will start to see that you are winning with mk much more than lucas.... eventually you will have no matchups left that are better for lucas because mk is much better than him.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I main Lucas and I'm curious. Is Meta Knight a good secondary choice to deal with Lucas's bad match ups (Marth, Meta Knight... lol, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Game and Watch)? I know Meta Knight is definitely up there.
Donkey Kong actually does pretty decent against all those. I'd go with him instead.

CallerID3

Smash Rookie
Ok thank you for the advice. Lol some good points there. Anyways, yeah I think I'll give Donkey Kong a try. If that doesn't work there are always plenty more out there.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Neither - ppl know MK's weaknesses, so the days of pure aggression are over; but at the same time, if you play campy, then 1) No one will play with you (no one likes to chase for 8min), 2) you won't be using MK at his full advantage.

MK is a punisher, and an attacker - he's not a camper, but he can't go full throttle either

That's all I can tell you; I still haven't found the right balance myself

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Gay campy MK is sooooo good... and Vel, that's why you play ******** gay in tournament and try different **** in friendlies...

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Gay campy MK is sooooo good... and Vel, that's why you play ******** gay in tournament and try different **** in friendlies... or just don't play friendlies cause video games suck unless you make money off it.
See, this is why I get you confused with SCOTU.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Chis, they're about the same. As long as you do the uair first it doesn't really matter afterwards.

Super_H

Smash Rookie
Question: Is it possible to DI out of metaknights tornado?
If so under what conditions? If not, why is that?

I want a very technical answer. Any links to good explanations would be awesome too.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Question: Is it possible to DI out of metaknights tornado?
If so under what conditions? If not, why is that?

I want a very technical answer. Any links to good explanations would be awesome too.
yes, its actually very easy. you just SDI and DI upwards.

I read the matchup thread from both perspectives.. but.

How the **** do I beat Diddy?
i generally try to keep the pressure up, and keep the momentum going so diddy cant organize his nanerz and **** you. i shield > jump grab the nanerz and use them myself. i used to use diddy so i can mange nanerz decently well.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I have recently been messing around with MK, and before I started I watched a few videos- to gather myself, forget about other characters, and just to improve my MK :)

I cannot figure out how to do ANYTHING! out of shuttle loop, other than a simple (A) sword swing. In some of the videos I watched I saw people jumping out of shuttle loop, doing aerials, etc. I can only get a single sword in and then I special fall. can someone clue me in?

IxxI

Smash Fence
I have recently been messing around with MK, and before I started I watched a few videos- to gather myself, forget about other characters, and just to improve my MK :)

I cannot figure out how to do ANYTHING! out of shuttle loop, other than a simple (A) sword swing. In some of the videos I watched I saw people jumping out of shuttle loop, doing aerials, etc. I can only get a single sword in and then I special fall. can someone clue me in?
That's because they simply glided opposed to shuffle loop, the shuffle loop causes a helpless animation.

c3gill

Smash Ace
That's because they simply glided opposed to shuffle loop, the shuffle loop causes a helpless animation.
definatly didnt watch that closely enough, but now that you mention it its pretty obvious :ohwell: ..... thanks for pointing it out

Top Bottom