• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Coffee™

I need it....
Can MK force an air release himself? Doesn't seem like he should be able to given that it MK looks like he is touching the ground when he's being grabbed but I've been doing it a fair amount in MK dittos and I know for a fact that the opponent doesn't press the jump button when trying to break out.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Can MK force an air release himself? Doesn't seem like he should be able to given that it MK looks like he is touching the ground when he's being grabbed but I've been doing it a fair amount in MK dittos and I know for a fact that the opponent doesn't press the jump button when trying to break out.
You're grabbing your opponent while he's in the air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57knILY0iZ0#t=45s

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
When I have trouble against rolling opponents, I normally like to start Dairing more. Dair their shield, you can dair them again when they roll =D
I actually ran into a funny situation where I had a kid try to roll dodge away from me. So i nado'ed and followed him in my nado across the platform, the final hit of nado got him in the end.

His reasoning for roll dodging that much was due to us going into Sudden Death..so yea the last hit of Nado star KO'ed him.

He means he D-airs during the beginning or ending frames of a roll where the opponent is vulnerable, not in the middle.

Simply predicting the roll and grabbing is the best option though IMO.
I actually go for pivot grabs, just run in front of them where they roll dodge too, pivot grab. They generally dont see that coming.

I also like doing this on my D3 was well.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
i'm known in my area as one of the fastest at breaking out of grabs XD. it helps A LOT vs icys... pummeling with them helps set up for the CG and if i am at 30-65 i usually will break out after one pummel. i mash all of the face buttons as fast as possible and i tend to rotate the control stick as i break out. although, i don't know if that helps.. just a habit and i'm not gonna stop doing that in case it actually does help loll.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
i'm known in my area as one of the fastest at breaking out of grabs XD. it helps A LOT vs icys... pummeling with them helps set up for the CG and if i am at 30-65 i usually will break out after one pummel. i mash all of the face buttons as fast as possible and i tend to rotate the control stick as i break out. although, i don't know if that helps.. just a habit and i'm not gonna stop doing that in case it actually does help loll.
Oh my god, I wanna watch you play lol.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh my god, I wanna watch you play lain LOL.

Most of the better ICs I've seen don't pummel with their grabs as they know it just gives the opponent more time to escape.

Mashing the control stick and the cstick is your best option for getting out of grabs. Everything else probably won't help.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
theres a thread on helping you escape grabs faster. spam escapes 0-30% instantly when he tries lol

that vid of dmg escpaing ddd at like 135% with wario is also interesting. i think the beleif is you have 13 frames of optimal input with some time inbetween or something and being human we can only do so and so much at a time. lmao that doest help but basically

mash all face buttons control stick and c stick and dont jump if u dont want a jump break sliding yoru thumbs from a + b to the c stick

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
When I grab people, regardless of what percent, they die.

:colorful:
haha. i did play you... i managed to break out a few times and our matches were close. this was at CoT4. i recently got a lot better though, especially vs icys. are you going to apex? i'd like to play you again :D.
last weekend i beat meep who recently got very good at the cg. he managed to take a game off of m2k in their set... i then beat him pretty badly in losers. lol, mk is soooo stupid vs ics.. i did hardly anything else but dair above them then gimp them lol.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
When I grab people, regardless of what percent, they die.

:colorful:
that never happens...

haha. i did play you... i managed to break out a few times and our matches were close. this was at CoT4. i recently got a lot better though, especially vs icys. are you going to apex? i'd like to play you again :D.
last weekend i beat meep who recently got very good at the cg. he managed to take a game off of m2k in their set... i then beat him pretty badly in losers. lol, mk is soooo stupid vs ics.. i did hardly anything else but dair above them then gimp them lol.
LMAO, MK doesn't **** the matchup at all.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
that never happens...

LMAO, play against Lain. MK doesn't **** the matchup at all.
did i say he ***** the matchup? no. i said that i was able to beat someone in the matchup by playing with a simple pattern. if you would kindly get off of lain's **** for a moment and take the time to actually read all that i said you would notice i mentioned that i have played lain before and that he did beat me in a close match.

Dojo

Smash Champion
**** just got real...

Either way, it's not super easy. ESPECIALLY against Lain. That ***** is sicknasty, but it's still largely in MK's favor if he plays gay enough.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
**** just got real...

Either way, it's not super easy. ESPECIALLY against Lain. That ***** is sicknasty, but it's still largely in MK's favor if he plays gay enough.
XD. lol
i agree with you on that. it's definitely a large mk advantage. they rely on nothing but getting that grab and if they don't get one an entire match they will end up losing most of the time =/.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
did i say he ***** the matchup? no. i said that i was able to beat someone in the matchup by playing with a simple pattern. if you would kindly get off of lain's **** for a moment and take the time to actually read all that i said you would notice i mentioned that i have played lain before and that he did beat me in a close match.
If you can beat someone with a simple pattern, it implies either that the player sucks or that the matchup is easy... you didn't imply that meep sucks so I take it you're implying that the matchup is easy...

And IC's can play just as gay as MK in the matchup making it extremely hard to put any damage on him while staying safe. Like trying playing a match against someone who is only trying to prevent you from touching them and they aren't forcing any approaches or anything. It makes it really hard for MK and I don't think MK has a large advantage in that case.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
lol, do you comprehend what you're typing? If you can beat someone with a simple pattern, it implies either that the player sucks or that the matchup is easy... you didn't imply that meep sucks so I take it you're implying that the matchup is easy...

And IC's can play just as gay as MK in the matchup making it extremely hard to put any damage on him while staying safe. Like trying playing a match against someone who is only trying to prevent you from touching them and they aren't forcing any approaches or anything. It makes it really hard for MK and I don't think MK has a large advantage in that case.
he does WIN the matchup. i was just saying that i never said that he ***** in the matchup :laugh:. mk has the best approach in the game and an amazing offense... no matter how safe the ics plays, if the mk is on the same level as that ic player he will have an advantage.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i lose to IC players way worse than me. i always get grabbed. i need help vs IC =(

i just go zelda LOL

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
he does WIN the matchup. i was just saying that i never said that he ***** in the matchup :laugh:. mk has the best approach in the game and an amazing offense... no matter how safe the ics plays, if the mk is on the same level as that ic player he will have an advantage.
MK doesn't have the best approach against IC's and his offense gets shut down by IC's camping. IC's can't approach MK either. It's a huge campfest and whoever's better at it will win. MK has a slight advantage in the matchup at best.

p.s. MK's defense >>> MK's offense... and a lot of characters can beat an offense MK by playing defensively.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
MK doesn't have the best approach against IC's and his offense gets shut down by IC's camping. IC's can't approach MK either. It's a huge campfest and whoever's better at it will win. MK has a slight advantage in the matchup at best.

p.s. MK's defense >>> MK's offense... and a lot of characters can beat an offense MK by playing defensively.
Like Snake v.v

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just run into the blizzard, SDI towards them, then dair. They are then separated and I get a free nana.

Hype

Smash Lord
I just run into the blizzard, SDI towards them, then dair. They are then separated and I get a free nana.
That's interesting, I will try that.

in MK dittos why does aerial shuttle loop only beat the tornado sometimes? do you have to hit a certain part of the nado?

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
That's interesting, I will try that.

in MK dittos why does aerial shuttle loop only beat the tornado sometimes? do you have to hit a certain part of the nado?
Im not sure why it works, but you have to hit the bottom of the tornado with shuttle -loop to beat the tornado.

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
In and MK ditto, what would be the best approach against one since your aerials are matched in speed in range? Also, how do you gimp a MK with an MK...
Short-hop forward air and and even walking up and f-tilting are the best approches. If a mk is f-tilting and d-tilting when you approach them, you can running shield and grab them.

Palpi

Smash Hero
It seems like the first 2 seconds of tornado has more priority than the rest, but I am probably wrong and it probabbly just the area I hit it with.

Top Bottom