• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
@Ripple: I was talking about the data like people actually understanding John #s data and Tuen's data, how the top non MK mains have done. Those things. You arent just going to get that because you've played against MKs. Which im sure you are aware since you work with the thread John #s posts his data in. Those things people ARE ignorant of. Whatever, Ive said this a hundred thousand times but that strawman keeps coming out and misconceptions over simple post are made.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empirical

here you go so you understand next time what im referring to when I say empirical.

EDIT: I do agree more people need to get in the stage discussion thread.
I didn't respond to you at all so I'm confused by this.

A lot of players just don't think those stages aren't competitive at all and they should be banned whether MK is legal or not
I would disagee with this since I actually was part of the stage rage group once that thread called " RC and brinstar should be banned" first came up. I saw what most people thought

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
There are going to be people that are going to want these stages banned because they think they are"gay" but there are also going to be players that are going to want to keep these stages legal just because they like them or because their character does well on them. In the end, it sort of balances out. You are also forgetting that the final decision all comes down to the URC

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
There are going to be people that are going to want these stages banned because they think they are"gay" but there are also going to be players that are going to want to keep these stages legal just because they like them or because their character does well on that stage. In the end, it sort of balances out. You are also forgetting that the final decision all comes down to the URC
I'm not forgetting anything except not to argue with you for obvious reasons.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
So, no changes yet? Thanks for the MK ban by the way, which will affect the NY/NJ region the most out of all others.

tekkie

Smash Master
i love how so many people are like "wait! let's backtrack and vote to ban RC/brinstar or come up with better rulesets to limit his options!"

the mk mains weren't pushing to ban RC/brinstar before their character was banned

delicious tears

edit:
It is to me, I hate changes and more the ones that are this drastic. Now thanks to the MK ban ADHD and Dabuz will always be in the grand finals of tourneys.
why does this poor little child have issues with adhd and dabuz? that's not very friendly

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
change is not necessarily a bad thing
Change is only bad if people project their worries towards a change without trying to understand and control their bias.

It's obvious when a change goes bad. It's obvious this change is for the better.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
LoL @ charcter banning. Shows you how good a game is that they have to ban char's to make it competitive.

Don't be a douche, play Melee...

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, now that MK is banned, marth will just dominate the metagame. and olimar. and dedede.

also snake and diddy and wario will still be good

you guys really messed up.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
LoL @ charcter banning. Shows you how good a game is that they have to ban char's to make it competitive.

having to ban a character says nothing about the actual gameplay mechanics, just a single facet of the game - character balance. akuma is OP in SF2T, entire game is worse?

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
hey guys, now that MK is banned, marth will just dominate the metagame. and olimar. and dedede.

"Too bad MK can't single handedly dominate the metagame! Now we have to share the S tier with pre-MKban B/maybe C tier characters! The amount of variety will confuse players and make them turn to SF/BB/MvC3!"

I thought luigi, peach, and ROB were others on the rise in tiers..?

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Hey Europe.

Yes, you guys. The ones laughing about the MK ban.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13452936&postcount=13902

On top of that, another European Ike has said that France is debating banning him.

Thoughts about your "superior" region never doing "something silly like that"?
UK's top 3 doesn't use mk, and in france theres only one mk in their top 3 ( him being 3rd ).

So I don't know why they would ban mk if he isn't even close to winning, let alone dominating.
Guess people just wanna increase their chances of winning here, which is pretty sad thb.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to phrase this as rationally as possible and I don't want this to bother anyone.

This MK issue really shows how harmful ninty's refusal to treat you guys like a real competitive community is to the game. Think of any real life competitive event. Pro sports implement rule changes relatively frequently, SF games are re-released and updated frequently, and even the piece movements in chess have changed over centuries. Magic, the most successful trading card game ever, has new sets constantly being released and cards that have proven to be overpowered constantly hitting the ban list. Good games NEED balancing and tweaks over time when good players hunt out the most effective strategies and start to break the game (when a game is broken is always a matter of debate, but it's always once the decision making process needed to win becomes oversimplified and rote).
I'll admit, some games are lucky miracles from the start and turn out rather well (MvC, melee?), but games that don't aren't lost causes and can really shine with help (like Brawl). Nintendo isn't providing it. It might not be necessary yet, but the survival of the long term core brawl community would be helped a lot by adopting something like Balanced Brawl (plus this awful divisive MK ban debacle would also be nicely sidestepped). You'll lose a lot of casual players but a solid community will probably always be there developing the carefully balanced meta.

Two options: play a bad game, ban characters to make it fun again, or play a better game that isn't necessarily what sakurai wanted.

(I understand that there are tons of tournament logistical issues and problems getting sponsors or w/e when you start "hacking" [lol file on SD card > open stage builder > success] your Wiis so uh maybe forget about it.)

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
having to ban a character says nothing about the actual gameplay mechanics, just a single facet of the game - character balance. akuma is OP in SF2T, entire game is worse?
The difference is Akuma wasn't designed to be a balanced character.

Nice avatar btw. Are you gonna offer me gold next? :scared:

Bees!

Smash Ace
MK being banned wont do anything.
Dedede's and Marfs will rain free. Thats it.
If MK banned makes d3 and marf rain free then obviously will do something. Also D3 gets beat by Oli, ICs, Pika, Falco and goes even with Snake, Diddy, and Kirby. If fact most of those characters can't be chaingrabbed do really well against him(minus lowtier really). Soooo ya. Also ROB goes even with Marf in addition to Oli, ICs, Snake, and Falco. Marth may be good but his matchups are very balanced for his opponents where even if he has an advantage it is not nearly the same as the MK advantage for many reasons too obvious for me to mention here

I SEE WUT U DID THARRR! I <3 Satire! I lold hard when I read this
UK's top 3 doesn't use mk, and in france theres only one mk in their top 3 ( him being 3rd ).

So I don't why they would ban mk if he isn't even close to winning, let alone dominating.
Guess people just wanna increase their chances of winning here, which is pretty sad thb.
Mr R making an ironically good argument for the ban being justified in the States as opposed to why things would be done differently elsewhere in the world. But I agree with him. The rest of the world has no reason to ban MK. Also data gathered in other parts of the world is less conclusive. They have 1 or 2 players in their entire community that dominate. Rather than at least 10 or more top players, who by the same standards dominate.

Your masterful persuasion skills have swayed me. I guess it is not being a douche to use a post hoc fallacy then insult someone's choice of game and suggest they play the game you subjectively claim will somehow not make you a social deviant. I smell a :troll:

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I expect a lot more MK to appear at Apex as it's going to be the last big chance for people to use him.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
This is like when Facebook or Youtube changes something.

A handful of people go into an uproar, posting comments and statuses about how much it stinks. A week later and it's back to normal, usually for the better.

This is an improvement to the Brawl metagame. Believe it.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I think most MKs who are not high level players with him should probably work on other characters in that case. They kill two birds with one stone:

1.) If they're good with that character, and you are able to beat other MKs, you show evidence of that (which doesn't matter much at this point, but it supports your anti-ban arguments)

2.) If not, at least you're getting practice with the character you're going to main post-ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom