• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Smashboards just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about fighting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in competitive racing gaming (like Mario Kart) where you can become successful by being an *******. If you screw someone over in the fighting community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the general brawl players, after hearing about this, is not going to want to participate in thisr tournament, nor will they support Smashboards. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Smashboards has alienated an entire league of competitive fighting gamers with this move.

Smashboards, publicly apologize and re-instate Metaknight or you can kiss your forum goodbye.
thread over.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Posting for subcription, and posting from phone sucks.

Also, very interested in how 2012 will turn out now.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
The recent Juice tournament had a very low number of entrants iirc. Like around 40. So think about it. If only a portion are attending the tourny, clearly they are going to say positive stuff about it. They might have gone for a specific reason : MK not being there. It doesn't reflect what the entire competitive community thinks.
I guess the HUNDREDS of people watching the stream didn't matter? "Low turnout" as in 40 for a local isn't even bad either.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So when is everyone going to wake up and realize Brawl is cannibalize itself here when it no longer has to? Given the choice between patch or ban, anyone with half a brain should prefer the former. Unless of course Meta Knight killed your family or something.

It's going to take a success story with Project M to show an SD card is less of a barrier than banning a character, especialy when the setup is oh soo easy. Without making this simple realization, the Brawl scene will just have to continue imposing more and more ridiculous rules over time. Perhaps it is time to actually start thinking about taking real steps forward, and not 2 steps back.
A mod isn't going to replace the main game, even more so of a fighting game on a Counsil, PC you'd have a better shot.

Also Balance Brawl hasn't been staying afloat as well, Project M is the only hack that has any shot of being supported and even then it's made directly for Melee players so not many Brawl players are gonna give it a shot if they wouldn't for Melee anyways.

I wonder what would happen if literally every MK and pocket MK just switched to Marth

and Marth was a choice for 30% of players and won 50% of winnings.

It would be entertaining.
Diddy has a better shot at doing that tbh.

Marth are proven bad MUs, Diddy is more of a grey area with his.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
They really need patches for smash, its really sad to see a character go because he's too good.

:phone:
nintendo is ********.

it's not that they won't patch it, it's that they literally can't

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Smash will never be widly accepted in the FGC, and if by some strangely odd occurance it does the game accepted

WILL NOT

be the only game in the series that has no ATs and no combos.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
1. Quit with the insults.

2. There's no evidence to support any of your claims, unless you're going to also claim that you can see into the future. You say that MK mains are going to quit. How many? Do you know the reasons for each and everyone who quits? Cite your sources.

Also, are you also going to assume that by keeping MK legal, nobody is going to quit?
People might still quit if MK is kept legal but i'd rather have mk not banned and keep my pro players not quitting the game that actually give us good entertainment through live streams than banning the bat and having a bunch of nobodys on the community that probabably wouldnt matter much if they left anyways since they dont contribute or travel out of state to begin with. My point is why have a bunch of people that dont really do **** for the community and satisfy their egos by banning the character because they cant get better. I'd keep my top pro players over nobodys anyday of the week.

zmx

Smash Lord
First off I said 5-8. But sake of argument I'll mention 8. This is in no particular order btw.

1.) Ally
2.) M2K
3.) Anti
4.) ADHD
5.) Nairo
6.) DEHF
7.) Atomsk
8) Rich brown

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
People might still quit if MK is kept legal but i'd rather have mk not banned and keep my pro players not quitting the game that actually give us good entertainment through live streams than banning the bat and having a bunch of nobodys on the community that probabably wouldnt matter much if they left anyways since they dont contribute or travel out of state to begin with. My point is why have a bunch of people that dont really do **** for the community and satisfy their egos by banning the character because they cant get better. I'd keep my top pro players over nobodys anyday of the week.
yeah because after 3.5 years people not only didn't become better at the match up, they got worse.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
thread over.
Hardly.

I only watch Smash tournaments but play competitively in FGs in the east coast. For the people who constantly wonder why the FG scene seems to hate Smash in general is pretty much being exposed here.

The mere fact that people are defending a character that needed rules for himself just to stay legal would never, and I mean ever, be accepted as a legit fighting game. FG timelines pretty much show that;we've never had a game in EVO or in Tougeki that required such rules for one person, let alone have it be necessary just to keep the game somewhat balanced. And if we ever did, the scene quickly died out in terms of trying to keep mainstream with anything else.

You seriously think anyone would play AE if Yun was limited to 3 palm strikes per round or you were forced to drop your genei-jin combo halfway through? Or CVS2 Sagat couldn't do more than 5 crouching fierce/HP per match? Hell no. They are broken, but it was never to the point where we needed to literally devise rules for one damn character. It would never work.

So from the standpoint of the FG scene, or at least just my perspective, we really can't take a game where a scene so vehemently defends a character so dominant so seriously.

BUT, what I think a lot of us on the outside pray for with this new change is that the metagame for every other character will definitely change. I expect to see some new technology now that MK players can use their talents on other characters. I'm not here to bash on the community; the way you guys play are incredible. But honestly, while I do believe in the old school "just play it as it is" mentality, the fact that MK was so broken it needed its own rules speaks for itself.
There are people on both sides of the fence on this issue in the fighting game community.

No, they just hate us.
Well, I'd probably phrase it more like "they have no incentive to improve the game for 1% of the people who bought Brawl when the other 99% who bought it probably wouldn't care either way." They don't hate us, the just don't care about us :\

-Ran

Smash Master
For those that were wondering, it took three years, six months, twenty-three days, and seventeen hours for Meta Knight to be banned.

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
First off I said 5-8. But sake of argument I'll mention 8. This is in no particular order btw.

1.) Ally
2.) M2K
3.) Anti
4.) ADHD
5.) Nairo
6.) DEHF
7.) Atomsk
8) Rich brown
Sorry, but Rich Brown / Atomsk aren't 7 and 8.

I can give you Razer and Gnes to fill their place.

So let's see.

Ally (Mains :metaknight:) - Pro Ban
M2k (Mains :metaknight:) - Anti Ban
Anti (Mains :metaknight:) - Anti Ban
ADHD (Mains :diddy:) - Pro Ban
Nairo (Mains :metaknight:) - Anti Ban
DEHF (Mains :falco:) - Pro Ban
Gnes (Mains :diddy:) - Pro Ban
Ultimate Razer (Mains :snake:) - Pro Ban

So let's compare the results.

Pro Ban (In Top 8): 5
Anti Ban (In Top 8): 3

Anti Ban (Who Main :metaknight:) 3/3
Pro Ban (Who Main :metaknight:) 1/5

Your argument is pretty poor.

So now your argument is over the spectator value of the game, as well as attendance of pros, instead of the legitimacy of the game's rules?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Smash will never be widly accepted in the FGC, and if by some strangely odd occurance it does the game accepted

WILL NOT

be the only game in the series that has no ATs and no combos.

CGs are combos. Many, MANY characters have guaranteed combos.

I can name at least 20 ATs off the top of my head. For free, there's glide tossing and DACUS which nullifies your statement. Please take your uneducated comments and go wherever it is that elitists like to circlejerk.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
So now your argument is over the spectator value of the game, as well as attendance of pros, instead of the legitimacy of the game's rules?
You bet it is but its mainly because i love this game so much and i just feel like it wont be around for too much longer and that next year it will be dead. Which is sad... my only hope now is smash 4 and even that is not certain whether it'll be competitive or not. Everything is lost now ~

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Powershielding is not an AT.

Good job on finding the dachus.

No1 outside of the brawl community is imprssed by brawl.

Hell even some of the knuckle-dragging halfwits who play AE/mvc3 exclusively like melee and 64.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

1.) Ally
2.) M2K
3.) Anti
4.) ADHD
5.) Nairo
6.) DEHF
7.) Atomsk
8) Rich brown
First, that list is pretty ****ing bad.

Second, I want you to pull your quotes of where they all voiced their opinions that MK should be banned as you have said they have done.

You bet it is but its mainly because i love this game so much and i just feel like it wont be around for too much longer and that next year it will be dead. Which is sad... my only hope now is smash 4 and even that is not certain whether it'll be competitive or not. Everything is lost now ~
All the pros now are going to quit anyways. They can't keep on playing Brawl forever, you know. We lose some pros, but we'll get new ones along the course of the game. With MK banned, the changes are going to be drastic, yes, but perhaps the change is a good thing?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Powershielding is not an AT.

Good job on finding the dachus.

No1 outside of the brawl community is imprssed by brawl.

Hell even some of the knuckle-dragging halfwits who play AE/mvc3 exclusively like melee and 64.

I do? I'm a Blazblue/MvC/SF/AH player and I am impressed by the decision making in Brawl. You seem to not take into account that the Brawl community is made up of players who are also traditional fighting game players because it's convenient to you.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Plus, me, being the live stream monster that i am, loved to see them top players in action but now with some of them gone its just gonna decay, i personally count myself out of this community if i see the next tourneys being just plain bad.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
A mod isn't going to replace the main game.
Neither will banning a character. That's a pretty huge barrier you are putting up. It unfortunately is necessary if people are set on keeping the current lousy conditions.

I'm sorry, I just find it a borderline insane decision to alienate MK players like this when you could endorse the better option. Neither will be an easy change for everyone, but at least we won't be killing off a character.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Some people will leave brawl because of MK being banned, true. However, many more people will be attracted by the prospect of MK-less tournaments. (Even if you don't think he's broken, removing the best character from the game will make tournaments more balanced and thus more attractive to newcomers.)

Regardless of whether or not this is a good change(which it is IMO), we won't have to worry about Brawl losing too many players.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I also like the way you sweep under the rug that your previous statements were uninformed and completely incorrect.

And who said that Power Shielding was an AT?

As for the game being made to be uncompetitive, you are wrong. Sakurai has stated that the game making process for Melee will probably never be done again. That Melee was a PROBLEM because the TECH SKILL BARRIER was a turn-off to some players. It was made to be easier which has absolutely no bearing on competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom