• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Most Peach mains like it as well. I know it's a frequent choice by Illmatic in some matchups, I'm pretty sure Nicole and the others use it as well. I used to use it a lot, but after 2010 hit and most players had a pocket MK to switch to, I stopped using it.
Ya, it's the main reason why I never bothered to pick it: don't know who has a pocket MK that they only pull out for those stages. PS2 was a safer bet for me.

It was funny to watch a local new Ike against a Falco though. Falco guy didn't realize Brinstar was a CP choice and got smacked around the whole match.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Just reading through some of the more recent pages, and Olimar's not going to be more playable. One of the reasons he's climbed on the list and become more popular is because of his even match-up with Meta Knight.

The shorter the time limit, the more effective stalling/running/camping is. That's not what the game is about, it's designed and centered around taking all the opponents stock. Even without intentional stalling, some matches wouldn't be allowed to finish with a short time limit. Someone who's been involved in ruleset crafting please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression we wouldn't even have time limits if it weren't for the fact that we need to move the tourneys along so that they can be completed in the allotted time.

Before anyone compares this to other fighting games, remember that Smash is not two characters depleting each others' health in a relatively small box specifically designed to have a timer going. In smash a timer just lets people win without necessarily seeing the match through to the conclusion it ideally would be allowed to reach.

On a different topic, all these anti-MK rules that people are suggesting are further confirming how much he dominates the metagame. Whether you're pro-ban, or anti-ban but with a bunch of rules to limit MK, you're admitting that MK is a major problem. Making rules that will screw with the rest of the metagame just to keep MK down makes a mess, while banning him stops the problem at the source, removing all of MK's direct repression of the metagame (through being way overpowered/broken) as well as the indirect problems (like the side effects of a bunch of anti-MK rules). I feel like all our tournaments are being set on fire, and some people want flame retardant Wiis and for buckets of water to be part of the venue fee, when we could really just arrest the one guy with the flamethrower who's torching everything.

This is a great post, and the bolded part hit the nail right on the head.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
The shorter the time limit, the more effective stalling/running/camping is. That's not what the game is about, it's designed and centered around taking all the opponents stock. Even without intentional stalling, some matches wouldn't be allowed to finish with a short time limit. Someone who's been involved in ruleset crafting please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression we wouldn't even have time limits if it weren't for the fact that we need to move the tourneys along so that they can be completed in the allotted time.

Before anyone compares this to other fighting games, remember that Smash is not two characters depleting each others' health in a relatively small box specifically designed to have a timer going. In smash a timer just lets people win without necessarily seeing the match through to the conclusion it ideally would be allowed to reach.

On a different topic, all these anti-MK rules that people are suggesting are further confirming how much he dominates the metagame. Whether you're pro-ban, or anti-ban but with a bunch of rules to limit MK, you're admitting that MK is a major problem. Making rules that will screw with the rest of the metagame just to keep MK down makes a mess, while banning him stops the problem at the source, removing all of MK's direct repression of the metagame (through being way overpowered/broken) as well as the indirect problems (like the side effects of a bunch of anti-MK rules). I feel like all our tournaments are being set on fire, and some people want flame retardant Wiis and for buckets of water to be part of the venue fee, when we could really just arrest the one guy with the flamethrower who's torching everything.
God Damn, I love this post.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

post 4200 is gold

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Fierce Deku said:

This thread can't have enough of this post.

Thino

Smash Master

This post is entirely correct , but only for what it covers, you did well mentioning in the last paragraph Whether you're pro-ban, or anti-ban but with a bunch of rules to limit MK because there is also a part of the anti-bans that don't necessarily think additional rules are required to stop MK's dominance and that do not think tournaments are being set on fire at all.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That group of people is in the extreme minority. People that believe MK is fine without restriction of planking/scrooging/etc.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman

Can I sig some of this?

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983

Random Ike Guy, is that you?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
This is a load of bull! Why the hell can someone ban a character from a game??? I dont know why people have a problem with meta knight (Mind you i have read the teir list) but i have never had problems beating meta knight. but anyways im still gonna use him and if you dont like it you can deal with it.

Flayl

Smash Hero
If you don't go to tournaments this doesn't affect you. Also it's a USA/Canada thing. You're from Australia.

Doc King

Smash Lord
This is a load of bull! Why the hell can someone ban a character from a game??? I dont know why people have a problem with meta knight (Mind you i have read the teir list) but i have never had problems beating meta knight. but anyways im still gonna use him and if you dont like it you can deal with it.
MK was banned due to him overcentralizing the game. He breaks stuff such as character countering, a lot of stages, etc. MK was just way too good and earned like 60% of the tourney paper even though we gave him a bunch of restrictions like had a ledge grab limit, infinite dementional cape was banned, stages like rc and brinstar were banned, etc.
If you don't go to tournaments this doesn't affect you. Also it's a USA/Canada thing. You're from Australia.
That's another good thing to point out. U.S.A. is basically the potential of MK and in there unlike in other places, MK is way too good and can shut down everyone with his planking game.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
MK was banned due to him overcentralizing the game. He breaks stuff such as character countering, a lot of stages, etc. MK was just way too good and earned like 60% of the tourney paper even though we gave him a bunch of restrictions like had a ledge grab limit, infinite dementional cape was banned, stages like rc and brinstar were banned, etc.

That's another good thing to point out. U.S.A. is basically the potential of MK and in there unlike in other places, MK is way too good and can shut down everyone with his planking game.
I see but mind you characters like Lucario and Marth can counter Meta Knight by using there down special.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Looked it up.

British or Australian slang meaning either "sell" or "steal"
An Australian slang term for a person who is an idiot or a "tool" Example: Evan Tirey is definitely a flog.

Okay let's put it into context.

Your a cocky one. Care to brawl me oneday and see what happens when Lucario sells your main :troll:
Your a cocky one. Care to brawl me oneday and see what happens when Lucario steals your main :troll:
Your a cocky one. Care to brawl me oneday and see what happens when Lucario tools your main :troll:
Your a cocky one. Care to brawl me oneday and see what happens when Lucario idiot your main :troll:
Hm, still not making any sense.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
BC, no offense, but I wouldn't bet on you if you think Lucario's counter is a good move. :glare:
Narr personaly i dont use it much. I tend to think combos are best for lucario.

@xIblisx: Thats odd. Well i guess thats the real meaning but some parents say to their kids that there gonna flog there a** and they mean by smacking.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He joined not even two months ago, Links to his clan in his signature and thinks Lucario/Marths counter beat MK.
What gave you the idea he Wasn't free?

Thino

Smash Master
MK was banned due to him overcentralizing the game. He breaks stuff such as character countering, a lot of stages, etc. MK was just way too good and earned like 60% of the tourney paper
but what exactly is wrong with a character dominating the game and winning 90% of the tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom