• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight 2.6 impressions

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
except then you'll immediately negate any need for the otherwise rad edgeguard game. dair ain't free, and thank god for that, because it shouldn't be

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Dunno DMG, I got the updated one and can't cancel Dair whether I angle it or not, it goes all the way down like any other divekick.
BTW that interaction of Dimensional cape grounded letting you keep your jumps while aerial won't is still there, both remove the usage of B moves.

Some stuff is a lot better though, it also fixed SideB being crap. Dimensional cape appears to be a good recovery, dunno if it was the patch but the vertical distance is surprising me, can even use it to stall on the ledge!

Sanyx

Smash Rookie
I found MK to be a lot of fun. The only problem I have is with his vertical recovery. You have to watch out and not suicide trying to kill someone off stage. I feel that you have to think more than once when deciding to go off stage, while in Brawl, you were safer off stage than in the stage itself.

Learning how to incorporate dimensional cape in your gameplay is a MUST when picking MK. The move itself is good for recovery and the "hit" its a kill move. A neat thing you can do is when you press DownB, you can cancel it by pressing the C-stick, thus getting the slash fast and easy. You can use this to seriously hurt your opponent.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
Someone please find out the frame data for MK's "Instant Dimensional Cape," as I heard someone else call it. It can't be coming out any slower than like frame 6.

Bryonato

Green Hat
MK is SO WELL DONE. He's not overwhelming and actually has weaknesses that you have to play around, like any character should. His kit wasn't butchered so I feel he retains that aggressive rushdown/vortex playstyle that he had in Brawl. His recovery is definitely something I'll have to adjust to since upB doesn'tsweetspot except for on glide. Even reverse upB isnt quite as reliable and requires good timing. His jumps kinda blow but that's ok; something i can live with.

His sideB kinda sucks. There's like no angle to it and it's pretty **** for anything except for a recovery mixup at best. Just needs it's angleability back.

Also Dair is the ****. uthrow -> dair -> usmash -> bair HNNG. Nair is still godlike even with the increased ending lag though I have to be careful about how I use it offstage. Wish the IASA frames came a liiiiiiiitle faster. Uair is just kinda whatever. It does what it's supposed to and that's about it which is just fine. Bair timing took some getting used to but overall I like the move.
Ftilt is sex. Utilt is great for a combo starter. Dtilt as well.

Fthrow is pretty useless imo. All of his other throws are alright though. Dthrow for combo/techchasing, uthrow for a combo starter, bthrow for throwing offstage/setting up edgeguarding. I guess fthrow could have the same use at higher %s.

Also what's this about Instant dimensional cape? how does that work?

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
If you flick the c-stick during dim. cape, you'll cancel into the attack immediately. It's less powerful, but can come out frame 7 at the earliest.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Holy ****! that is pretty sick.

also does anyone else like that jab isn't completely 100% useless anymore? Actually has some decent priority/knockback. A decent "getoffmebro"

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I just start combos after throws, plus up air chains on certain characters (i think) is nice

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
Meta-Knight's combo game is amazing! He also racks up damage really quick. I especially love chain-grabbing with down-throw hehe, My favorite combo that I learned with him is Down-throw to Up-throw to Dair to Nair hehe :)

GeZ

Smash Lord
MK is SO WELL DONE. He's not overwhelming and actually has weaknesses that you have to play around, like any character should. His kit wasn't butchered so I feel he retains that aggressive rushdown/vortex playstyle that he had in Brawl. His recovery is definitely something I'll have to adjust to since upB doesn'tsweetspot except for on glide. Even reverse upB isnt quite as reliable and requires good timing. His jumps kinda blow but that's ok; something i can live with.

His sideB kinda sucks. There's like no angle to it and it's pretty **** for anything except for a recovery mixup at best. Just needs it's angleability back.

Also Dair is the ****. uthrow -> dair -> usmash -> bair HNNG. Nair is still godlike even with the increased ending lag though I have to be careful about how I use it offstage. Wish the IASA frames came a liiiiiiiitle faster. Uair is just kinda whatever. It does what it's supposed to and that's about it which is just fine. Bair timing took some getting used to but overall I like the move.
Ftilt is sex. Utilt is great for a combo starter. Dtilt as well.

Fthrow is pretty useless imo. All of his other throws are alright though. Dthrow for combo/techchasing, uthrow for a combo starter, bthrow for throwing offstage/setting up edgeguarding. I guess fthrow could have the same use at higher %s.

Also what's this about Instant dimensional cape? how does that work?
I feel like he needs a little work but is mostly solid like you said. In regards to combos chaining 2 Uairs into Bair is awesome. And you can Dthrow into the Instant Dimensional Cape for an easy powerful hit. My main problem now is that MK can't do Uair chains nearly as well as he used to be able to, which really robs him of a great killing tool he had (Uair's to the top of the screen, then Neutral B up to kill). At best I get 2 Uairs into an Fair or Bair. I can get a Neutral B after it but it's never high enough to kill and the damage isn't worth it. I haven't found Ftilt or Dtilt to be very useful combo wise. I always stick to Dair to Usmash to Uair, Uair, Bair. I'll use throws and some tricks to land Dimensional Cape occasionally but I don't get what Ftilt or Dtilt are good for besides poking to land grabs. Also Utilt isn't really worth beans unless i'm missing something. It's just a teeny bit longer range ****ty version of Usmash?

Edit: forgot to mention his Dsmash is fast and sends at a good angle if you can hit someone with it while edge guarding. The only reliable use i've found for Side B is ledge cancelling it. And where's the hit on Up B? I can never land it reliably. Since Neutral B can't kill off the top after Uair chains, what does it do besides recover pretty well?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Meta-Knight's combo game is amazing! He also racks up damage really quick. I especially love chain-grabbing with down-throw hehe, My favorite combo that I learned with him is Down-throw to Up-throw to Dair to Nair hehe :)
Dude, after Uthrow use Dair to Usmash to Uairs for more damage. After 2 Uairs finish with whatever, but as is that's the most combo I've gotten out of Dair.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
And where's the hit on Up B? I can never land it reliably.
Sweetspot is right at the beginning of it. Otherwise, they go nowhere. It's a little frustrating that it has almost no knockback at all on the sourspot.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Sweetspot is right at the beginning of it. Otherwise, they go nowhere. It's a little frustrating that it has almost no knockback at all on the sourspot.
Thanks. can you think of any way to combo into it? I doubt the Uair chains would work. Maybe Uthrow? or Ftilt?

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
DAir and DTilt too, maybe. It's weird though; I can only seem to get DTilt to pop opponents up at lower percents..

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
DMG I think you will have trouble adapting to MK just because you played brawl for so long. Even though I haven't played brawl in over a year and I've been testing mk in the PMBR for awhile, I STILL can't get used to him because I just try to play brawl mk lol. I think from a design perspective he's great though and he's fun to run around and nair with. I have the same problems with some other characters switching between melee/pm/brawl etc.

Bryonato

Green Hat
My main problem now is that MK can't do Uair chains nearly as well as he used to be able to, which really robs him of a great killing tool he had (Uair's to the top of the screen, then Neutral B up to kill).
that's because that was broken.

And where's the hit on Up B? I can never land it reliably. Since Neutral B can't kill off the top after Uair chains, what does it do besides recover pretty well?

think of it like Marths upB. Gotta hit right at the start of the loop.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Anyone know what frame the earliest hitbox on up b is, and if it has any invincibility? I get a feeling some spacie players are going to look at that tiny shield and think it's free.

Sanyx

Smash Rookie
Now that we are talking about Up B... Up B is a GREAT vertical killing move. I find myself trying to Chain Uairs then finishing with UP B, really good stuff imo.

GeZ

Smash Lord
that's because that was broken.

think of it like Marths upB. Gotta hit right at the start of the loop.
It was broken because it was guaranteed in Brawl. If they made it work at different percents for different characters from different starting heights it could be balanced. Though the point of my post was more just to outline that Uair chains are semi useless right now as he can't fully utilize his awesome number of jumps, and Up B has no use besides that and recovery.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
I find it ironic that Meta Knight was one of the most difficult characters to balance, but yet he is mostly receiving praise for being fair and fun at the same time.

But that's just me.

jalued

Smash Lord
After playing MK for 7 hours today with my friend Shifting shadows, I have reached the following conclusions about Metaknight:

The good
+ Fun to play with some very entertaining downB finishes
+ Entertaining physics and being a semi-FF benefits his playstyle
+ Flexible horizontal recovery
+ Incredibly useful tilt game
+ Decent edgeguarding options with bair/nair
+ Very well designed aerial game

The bad
- Poor vertical recovery, 1 meteor and you are pretty much dead
- Cannot kill anyone from 130%-190%
- Neutral B and side B are both very bad moves with almost no application
- None of his moves (that I could find) are able to clank with projectiles meaning that he has serious issues with camping and approaching.
- Can be difficult to kill characters with good recoveries

All in all I think that MK is a decent character, I would guess mid-low tier. He is great fun to play but his weakness to projectiles means that his approach game is very limited. Both sideB and neutral B are very poor and have no real application. Tornado has awful hitboxes that rarely connect and the knockback/damage is useless. His sideB adds nothing to MK's gameplay.

I will continue to play MK because he is great fun to use... but I hope that the PMBR will give a bit more consideration to his special moves and his inability to clank with any projectile

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I find it ironic that Meta Knight was one of the most difficult characters to balance, but yet he is mostly receiving praise for being fair and fun at the same time.

But that's just me.
Yeah, it's kind of strange. Meta was fun in Brawl, but it felt like it was too easy to fully master him. It didn't help that he was the best character in the game.

In Project M, I feel that he's excellent without being broken like he was in Brawl. Not to mention he's got some pretty nice additions to his move set.

Bryonato

Green Hat
It was broken because it was guaranteed in Brawl. If they made it work at different percents for different characters from different starting heights it could be balanced. Though the point of my post was more just to outline that Uair chains are semi useless right now as he can't fully utilize his awesome number of jumps, and Up B has no use besides that and recovery.

idk I feel like that's kind of a stretch to complain about something like that. Sure he can't Uair chain but there are sooooooooo many other ways to combo with him.

He doesn't play like Brawl mk and that is a very very good thing.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
i know some people had issues with knowing how to do the attack from dimensional cape. cstick does an immediate weaker slash. holding A or B does a full power slash at the end of teleporting

OMN15145H

Smash Cadet
His new dair makes for really good suicide edgeguarding. I like him so far, except his s-special got too nerfed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nerfed? This is Meta Knight's first appearance in PM! How could that be possible?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Yeah, it's kind of strange. Meta was fun in Brawl, but it felt like it was too easy to fully master him. It didn't help that he was the best character in the game.

In Project M, I feel that he's excellent without being broken like he was in Brawl. Not to mention he's got some pretty nice additions to his move set.
Metaknight was not too easy to master in brawl. I don't think there has ever been a player to fully master metaknight. Even Zero didn't master him yet and he plays cpu's for hours every day. Metaknight requires so much precision and perfect execution at top level play. Metaknight's combos like grounded bair, to uair, uair... are super difficult to master.

GeZ

Smash Lord
As much value as there is to discussing Metaknight in relation to his brawl counterpart, we should keep the discussion focused on his new shiny P:M appearance. That way we can advance the metagame for the character we currently have rather than say "he should this that because brawl".

K@$h

Smash Cadet
i cant seem to figure out how to canel his dair
at first i found it hard to finish kills mainly b/c i was juggling to much but up-b,down-b,Dsmash, Fsmash, Dtilt(marth like) are super solid for putting icing on the cake
side-b > edghog is so smexy

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Meta Knight's pretty fun in this game. Landing those Dimensional Cape and the b-air slashes are super satisfying. And his combo game is very fun and so is just moving around with him.

I don't think his Drill Rush is as bad as some of are saying it is though. At mid percents the last hit pops up characters at great height to continue or start combo with, and its a pretty good for tech chasing and punishing rolls, since he moves forward very fast and then kinda hovers in place. Granted at low percent it is basically worthless, since MK will be punished for using it even if he lands the final hit.

Other stuff: many of his multi-hit moves punish you if you don't hit with the finisher (and so far, it's very easy to not hit the finisher, mostly with f-air and the tornado), as they have very little hitstun and knockback, so you'll get punished if you aren't careful, which I guess is kind of a good thing since I have think about which attack to use and can't throw out brain dead f-airs or nados. His recovery options are also not very good (though it just might be I'm not that used to it yet.) They all seem to have zero priority and lose to basically everything, and all of them have poor vertical recovery, so any meteor attack is a death sentence.

I do love comboing with him though. It's the main reason I like him so much. Definitely gonna pick him up.

SAX

Smash Ace
Are some of you crazy? Lmao MK is an extremely good character. Mk's tech chase via Dthrow, his nair that can do literally everything you can ask for in a move, great recovery, great combos (albeit some can be pretty janky/require good reaction), Phenomenal edgegaurding (Bair is extremely strong). All of these things contribute to making MK one of the more viable characters in P:M. Just because he is different and takes some time to get used to, doesn't mean he needs buffs or is bad. The only change I see is nerfing his Nair. Everything else seems pretty good.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I like the fast flurry of shffl fair into jab or triple ftilt. Playing CPUs so I don't know how viable it actually is. I thought I read that you can cancel aerial dimensional cape into aerials, but I always get the same slash, glitch?

Vickyboi

Smash Cadet
You don't cancel the Dimensional Cape into aerials, you just wait until you reappear and then you do an attack, if you press A to early you just do the DC Slash.
You can cancel it into the slash instantly though.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Are some of you crazy? Lmao MK is an extremely good character. Mk's tech chase via Dthrow, his nair that can do literally everything you can ask for in a move, great recovery, great combos (albeit some can be pretty janky/require good reaction), Phenomenal edgegaurding (Bair is extremely strong). All of these things contribute to making MK one of the more viable characters in P:M. Just because he is different and takes some time to get used to, doesn't mean he needs buffs or is bad. The only change I see is nerfing his Nair. Everything else seems pretty good.

don't think anyone here was saying he was bad.

maybe DMG :awesome:

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
You know I ****ing love this build of meta knight. Everything feels awesome about him.

Btw his vertical recovery isn't that bad, Nado is actually good for that ****.

Top Bottom